Back Ribs PET

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Back Ribs PET

Post by Mikey »

Started this at about 3:15. First put the ribs on at 3:25. It's now 6:41 and I just sauced the ribs.

I wanted to try a recipe for pomegranate chipotle ribs, so I made the sauce and used it on half the ribs. On the rest I used KC Masterpiece Special Reserve or something like that.

The chimney has just been lit. I'm using "Cowboy" hardwood charcoal and chunks of mesquite.

The ribs were seasoned only with garlic powder, sea salt and pepper.

On the grill.

About 20 minutes in.

Almost 3 hours in, just before putting the sauce on.

The six pieces in front have the pomegranate chipotle sauce. KC Masterpiece in the back.
Mikey

Re: Back Ribs PET

Post by Mikey »

OK, I got too busy eating and forgot to post the final results. So, here they are after almost an hour of low and slow with the sauce on:

They almost look burned in this picture, but they definitely are not at all burned. The darker ones in the small pan and to the left in the large pan have the pomegranate chipotle sauce, and they came out fantastic. Sweet, smoke and a little spicy. Falling off the bone tender. My kids agreed that they were better than the KC Masterpiece ribs, which were also good. We had about half of each left over after dinner. I was going to toss the left over sauce but my son wouldn't let me because he though he might want to add some when heating the leftovers.

BTW, served these up on Saturday night with farmers' market corn on the cob, steamed artichokes and sourdough bread. Great dinner.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Anyone who knows how to cook ribs knows those aren't burnt. Rack the PET. Unrack the KC Masterpiece sauce. :evil:

Would like to know your recipe for the pom chipotle. I'm sure I could come up with something good but would like to see what you put in it.

And anyone who sauces and doesn't let it go slow and low for at least an hour knows nothing about making ribs. That's how you "cake" it on so to speak. Almost "candied".
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:Anyone who knows how to cook ribs knows those aren't burnt. Rack the PET. Unrack the KC Masterpiece sauce. :evil:

Would like to know your recipe for the pom chipotle. I'm sure I could come up with something good but would like to see what you put in it.

And anyone who sauces and doesn't let it go slow and low for at least an hour knows nothing about making ribs. That's how you "cake" it on so to speak. Almost "candied".

Here's the POM chipotle sauce recipe...

http://www.thewickednoodle.com/2009/04/ ... back-ribs/

And yeah, I'm a little embarassed about using the KC Masterpiece.

I still have a jar of your nectar in the pantry, but it's the hot stuff and I need to include some not so hot in the mix because the wife loves ribs but can't take much heat.

I also have a big jug of this stuff, which I need to try soon.

One thing I left out of my PET would be a picture of my spray bottle, which is filled with a mixture of 50% water and 25% each wine vinegar and lemon juice. My ribs get spritzed every 20 minutes while cooking (before the sauce goes on) without fail. Keeps them nice and moist.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Will try that recipe.

I use just apple juice for my spritz to keep'em moist.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...