Truffles

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Truffles

Post by Mikey »

My daughter came home a couple of weeks ago from a month long summer session in Italy. She brought me back a bottle of black truffle olive oil and a small jar of some kind of white truffle tapenade.

I've never tasted truffles before, and I'm looking for a place to try these things. Anybody have any experience?

I'm thinking of getting some fresh pasta, like a linguine or something, and tossing it with some diced tomatoes and the black truffle oil.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Truffles

Post by Dinsdale »

None here, either, even though they grow wild in my region.

Heck, it's only been recent years that I've learned to marvel at the culinary treat that morels offer...

Which should, theoretically, be coming out again, when it cools down and starts raining again.

Morels freaking rock.

And it's getting close to "silly" mushroom season in the Cascades/Mt Hood again (highest concentrations of silly shrroms on earth, or so they tell me).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey,

How about a mushroom pizza? I love mushroom pizzas.

Get whatever dough you can if you don't make your own. If you have a kitchen aid or bread machine, here's my dough recipe:

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (i use king arthurs)
1 cup semolina
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 T active dry yeast
2 T olive oil (go ahead and use the truffle olive oil...and tell me how it is.)
1 T sugar

Mix the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl with a whisk. Let set for 5-10 minutes to get the yeast going. Mix the rest of the ingredients. Pour water/yeast mixture into dry ingredients and let the kitchen aid or bread machine do its work. I let the kitchen aid do 100% of the kneading. I just pull out the dough and shape it into a ball. THrow the dough in an oiled bowl and let it set at least 3 hours covered.

Once the dough is tossed and shaped, put a good helping of that truffle oil on the dough. Spread your cheese. Maybe a gruyere/motz/provo/parm reg mix would be good. Then top with an assortment of wild mushrooms. Drizzle a little more of that truffle oil on top and bake.

Notice no red sauce, but most places I've had mushroom pizzas did not have a red sauce.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

That pizza sounds wonderful, but I'd think using truffle oil in the dough would be a waste. Especially since the toppings on that particular pizza are so strongly-flavored. I'd make it exactly like Indy said, but I'd use regular EVOO in the dough, and I'd probably drizzle it on top of the pizza AFTER it bakes, just to retain as much flavor as possible. I don't think it needs to be cooked in. Truffles are a nice complement to mushrooms as they both have earthy flavors.

If you REALLY want the truffle taste to stand out, drizzle it on something mild/not earthy. I've had it on a creamy soup at a restaurant, I honestly don't remember what kind of soup it was. Very helpful, I know. It was pretty amazing, though!
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I tossed some pasta with slices of yellow and green zucchini and diced fresh tomatoes. Then I drizzled some of the truffle EVOO and tossed again. Sprinkled with some fresh grated parmagiano it was very good.

Funny, I wasn't sure what truffles taste or smell like, but all I had to do was open the bottle and it was "Oh. that's what truffles are..." Hard to explain but if you ever do it you'll know exactly what I mean.