Who says the homeless can't kick ass? (Something for 'Spray)

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Who says the homeless can't kick ass? (Something for 'Spray)

Post by Van »

'Spray, do not eat a heavy meal before watching this thing.

-The killer barre chord shakes at 3:20

-The 'just fucking around' at the end of "Ner Ner," at 3:35

-4:54, till the end. He is supposed to be nothing more than a mindless, soulless 'shredder', right?

:mrgreen:

smackie, what is it you call him? "Guitar Jesus," or something like that?

No doubt. Dude might just be able to get me off that agnostic fence.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
MadRussian
Poop is Funny!!!

Re: Who says the homeless can't kick ass? (Something for 'Spray)

Post by MadRussian »

:shock: :shock: Wow fucking incredible
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
P.J. O'Rourke.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

He was just fucking around there too, and he went for a triple double.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Is there any style of guitar playing that guthrie does not possess absolute pwnage of?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

He's probably only meh at Indian wedding sitar shit.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Van wrote:He's probably only meh at Indian wedding sitar shit.
You got proof?

I'm guessing that after 15 minutes of playing around with it, he'd own it as well. Not that you'd be able to tell.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Sure we would. People suddenly levitating nearby would be a dead giveaway.

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

This should set everybody straight about Guthrie.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

AP, you're way late to the party with that one, mister glass dick.

:lol:

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Well Van... as you know I have know idea what goes on here anymore. If I happen to catch something that interests me then I'll check in. If I see Lillian Vernon/SG's sister post here, then I don't give a fuck and scroll past shitty posts and threads. Not interested in unhappy women and their problems.

I do like talking about music and medical stuff though.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

These guys are a dime a dozen in Berkeley.... seriously.

The best and the brightest "Rennies" show up at Cal EVERY winter(during the off-season) and just roll.

It's what makes Cal the greatest University in the World.

These guys came outta Cal and were playing on telegraph.... before they became big.

Stephan (one of my boys) from the south bay (we met my first year at Cal) and Mikey Carrington.... were playing on the streets

This ended up being the song that blew their homeless asses up on the streets of Berkeley....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBGmc3bmgaY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBGmc3bmgaY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Last edited by .m2 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Two things, m2...

1-No, people of the caliber of GG don't show up at Berkeley every day. They don't even show up on earth every day.

2-Posting videos of Third Eye Blind, Green Day, Three Doors Down and Men Without Hats makes one a Cal fan, and absolutely not a member of the practicing heterosexual community.

.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Van wrote:Two things, m2...

1-No, people of the caliber of GG don't show up at Berkeley every day. They don't even show up on earth every day.

2-Posting videos of Third Eye Blind, Green Day, Three Doors Down and Men Without Hats makes one a Cal fan, and absolutely not a member of the practicing heterosexual community.

That's funny Vannie... he's still one of my best friends to this day... we talked last week for around an hour....

You do remember the "City" trip (video).... we were living in the Richmond at the time and would hang out at "Giorgio's Pizza on Clement.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lh5_Wdd80lE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lh5_Wdd80lE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

If you listen to Third Eye Blind (are they even around anymore??) and you're a male, you are GAY. And this is not debatable. No straight guy listens to them. Same goes for Blink 182.

Again.....

If Third Eye Blind has made its way onto your iPod, you suck dick and like it. Period.
Lillian Vernon

Post by Lillian Vernon »

Van wrote: He is supposed to be nothing more than a mindless, soulless 'shredder', right?
Right.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Lillian Vernon wrote:
Van wrote: He is supposed to be nothing more than a mindless, soulless 'shredder', right?
Right.
You might actually be right.

Being some sort of guitar cyborg, he may not have a soul, but, he does have a pair of hands that can spot on perfectly mimic these dudes that are absolutely overflowing in soul. And that's good enough.

Lillian Vernon

Post by Lillian Vernon »

smackaholic wrote:Being some sort of guitar cyborg, he may not have a soul, but, he does have a pair of hands that can spot on perfectly mimic these dudes that are absolutely overflowing in soul. And that's good enough.
Maybe it's because I spent the better part of 10 years hanging out with GIT dudes like this watching them play this shit in my living room...

This is Randy Hetlage from St. Louis. He could also kick GG's ass because he is a black belt some intense martial art of which the name escapes me right now. The wind chime faggot is right with his "dime a dozen" comment. I'm not saying GG doesn't have amazing technical prowess, but so do a lot of others who also play with soul and can write decent songs, Has GG ever written a good SONG? If so, let me hear it. Otherwise, he bores me.

This fat fuck Brazilian kid with man titties is much more interesting to me as a player...

Better feel, better vibrato and bends. All GG can do is pick fast, his bends and vibrato leave something to be desired and his tone sucks. And I don't think his rendition of blues licks have any soul whatsoever. He is just a parrot.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

LV wrote:All GG can do is pick fast,
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right. That would explain all the jazz he just played, using multiple finger picking. It would also explain that whole ending bit of "Ner Ner," where he doesn't even have his picking hand on the guitar.

All GG can do is pick fast?

Holy fuck. That might be the single most ignorant thing ever posted on the interwebs.
his bends and vibrato leave something to be desired and his tone sucks.
Okay, I can officially disregard anything LV ever says about guitar playing. She clearly doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground.

"I hung around with GIT dudes."

:lol:

Lillian Vernon

Post by Lillian Vernon »

It's a matter of preference. There are no right or wrong answers. Sorry if I find his speed is the only thing impressive about him, although if speed is all you want, here's the world record...

Sorry if I have witnessed guys sitting around playing comparably to that guy, and yes, they can play bluegrass and jazz too. Here's a polish kid I never heard of I just found on youtube. He impresses me more than GG and he plays in a jazz band...

If speed is all that impresses you, how about an 11 year old nailing Paul Gilbert?

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

LV, you said...
All GG can do is pick fast.
You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Then you said...
It's a matter of preference. There are no right or wrong answers.
Youl couldn't possibly be more wrong. Stating that GG can only pick fast is not a matter or preference, or even opinion. It's a completely erroneous statement, based on sheer ignorance. It's also very literally a wrong answer, of which there are plenty.

Anybody who thinks GG is only about picking fast simply doesn't know enough about his playing to intelligently discuss it. That would be you, so just do yourself a favor and bow out, before you bury yourself any further.

Lillian Vernon

Post by Lillian Vernon »

Sorry if I'm not feeling your guitar hero. The only thing that impresses me about him is speed, so deal with it.

Are you going to show me a song he has written that will touch me, or are you going to keep trying to convince me of something I already know?

The guy is nothing but technique with no soul.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Lillian Vernon wrote:

This is Randy Hetlage from St. Louis. He could also kick GG's ass because he is a black belt some intense martial art of which the name escapes me right now. The wind chime faggot is right with his "dime a dozen" comment. I'm not saying GG doesn't have amazing technical prowess, but so do a lot of others who also play with soul and can write decent songs, Has GG ever written a good SONG? If so, let me hear it. Otherwise, he bores me.
That dudes all right, but, it's a shitty recording where the guitar is muddled and all but blocked out by the drums.

Even with a good recording, Ii doubt he is as polished as GG.

As for GG not having any original shit, he does and some is pretty good.

And yes, he is a bit of a parrot. A really, really, really fukking good parrot.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

smackaholic wrote:Is there any style of guitar playing that guthrie does not possess absolute pwnage of?
Music?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Lillian Vernon wrote:Sorry if I'm not feeling your guitar hero. The only thing that impresses me about him is speed, so deal with it.
That's hardly the same thing as saying he can only pick fast.

The only thing I have to deal with is the fact that you misspoke. Dealing with that is easy. You said something stupid, which was easily dismissed.
Are you going to show me a song he has written that will touch me, or are you going to keep trying to convince me of something I already know?
I never said he'll 'touch you'. That's a personal preference issue, and I suspect your taste in music is such that I need not bother.

What I did say was that he does a whole lot more than just pick fast. I said your assertion that picking fast is all he can do is proof positive that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

If you can watch the clip I posted in this thread, especially the final three minutes where he plays nothing but straight jazz, and still you come away saying he's nothing but a guy who can pick fast, then what the hell.

If that's all you get out of it, despite the fact that he's hardly picking fast at all, then you're hopeless, and I give up.
The guy is nothing but technique with no soul.
Right, and you know this from all your vast experience of his playing, and your astute powers of observation, which were brilliantly exemplified by your idiotic gem, "All he can do is pick fast."

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

smackie wrote:And yes, he is a bit of a parrot. A really, really, really fukking good parrot.
He's no parrot. He did two very obvious pieces for guitar magazines, where he intentionally played like other people.

99.9% of the time, he's GG, doing his own thing.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Is there any style of guitar playing that guthrie does not possess absolute pwnage of?
Music?
Yep, jazz isn't music. Neither is blues.

Music isn't music unless it's basic, tuneless and stupid. Oh, and it has to have words, poorly sung. Then it's music.

Real music, involving melody, and musicians playing music...that's not music.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MGO can get a rise out of Vannar quicker than a denuded Aaron Rodgers can get a rise out of M2... well, almost.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Lillian Vernon

Post by Lillian Vernon »

smackaholic wrote:That dudes all right, but, it's a shitty recording where the guitar is muddled and all but blocked out by the drums.
Which goes to my exact point that these hyper-technical guitar players cannot write a marketable song to save their lives. That's why you never heard of him. They are so good, they can't come down to earth and just write a song that rocks. It was a basement jam recorded with a camcorder - they were just fucking around and I'm sure they ripped some Chick Corea and Allan Holldsworth in between their 1/2 hour long improv jams like I saw them do 1000 times, eventually boring me shitless. Big deal, it's all just jizz to impress other musicians. I used to be into "musician's music," but I got burnt on it a long time ago. There are a half dozen players here in St. Louis I know of who could parrot GG.
smackaholic wrote:Even with a good recording, Ii doubt he is as polished as GG.
Depends on your definition of "polished." I don't find GG to be very polished at all, he sounds stiff. If you mean clean fast notes, I'd say it would probably be about a tie. Any guitar player with a certain level of technical prowess can play anything competently. I'd say Randy plays with a bit more feel than GG, and I guarantee he could parrot GG the same way GG could parrot him. Who wants to listen to that shit though? Not me.
smackaholic wrote:As for GG not having any original shit, he does and some is pretty good.
I didn't hear anything that moved me and I listened to a bunch of his stuff on YouTube. The most impressive thing I saw was that Rhode Island bluegrass thing and it goes back to the point that speed is his most impressive attribute. He does have a decent level of spontaneity while improvising as far a throwing in the recognizable licks of others which is mildly entertaining, but other than that, I don't feel him at all.
smackaholic wrote:And yes, he is a bit of a parrot. A really, really, really fukking good parrot.
So what? Then put him in the wickedest cover band ever. I wasn't impressed with his blues licks, in fact I know players here in St. Louis who can do those better, especially the Albert Collins and Hendrix.
Last edited by Lillian Vernon on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Dinsdale wrote:MGO can get a rise out of Vannar quicker than a denuded Aaron Rodgers can get a rise out of M2... well, almost.
Yeah, imagine that. I post a thread. He posts in the thread. I respond.

Amazing, how he got a rise out of me.

Imagine that.