Do you want Mike Vick on YOUR team?

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Paul
Elwood

Do you want Mike Vick on YOUR team?

Post by Paul »

I can't believe this question hasn't been asked here yet....I think I'd have him for the Chiefs, but NOT as a QB. I'd either retrain him as a WR or a WR/RB type deal. Dude is just so fast and elusive that I just couldn't use him at QB, especially because they already have a good QB in Matt Cassel.
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Do you want Mike Vick on YOUR team?

Post by indyfrisco »

Buyer beware of the media circus. That being said, with Fisher as coach and the respect he has with the media and around the NFL, I would take him. I'd like to see him on kickoff and punt returns. Possibly a WR. And even as a backup QB. He's better than VY. Probably not as good as Ramsey.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

The Glass Bay Dickers were talking about signing him a couple of weeks ago.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Strike 1, Paulie.
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

Sorry....had no idea that a thread titled "Two questions" had anything to do with Mike Vick.

My bad.
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

:lol:
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

trev wrote:Strike 1, Paulie.
...ouch
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

for Denver absolutely not-they've already got enough locker room cancer
get out, get out while there's still time
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Felix wrote:for Denver absolutely not-they've already got enough locker room cancer
Can't believe I'm defending the stain, but I don't ever remember Vick being a cancer in the locker room. Maybe it was just because all the guys loved him for running the dogfight friday night party. From what I gathered though, he was a solid dude in the locker room. Just a piece of shit animal abuser outside the ring.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote: Can't believe I'm defending the stain, but I don't ever remember Vick being a cancer in the locker room. Maybe it was just because all the guys loved him for running the dogfight friday night party. From what I gathered though, he was a solid dude in the locker room. Just a piece of shit animal abuser outside the ring.
I don't think he's really a "cancer" more of a "mange"
Cosmo Kramer
Troublemaker
Location: Smack dab in the middle of a fucking immigration free-for-all

Post by Cosmo Kramer »

Degenerate wrote:The Glass Bay Dickers were talking about signing him a couple of weeks ago.

Wow did you come up with that all by yourself? Good boy, now you can have a juicebox.....What a fucking tool!
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

R-Jack wrote: Brandon Marshall
exactly.....that guy creates enough of a problem for Denver by himself, without the scourge of a convicted canine killer in the clubhouse
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Felix wrote:
R-Jack wrote: Brandon Marshall
exactly.....that guy creates enough of a problem for Denver by himself, without the scourge of a convicted canine killer in the clubhouse
You have a point there. Marshall can't be outdone by anyone. He'd run a child pron ring or something to top Vick.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Vick is an Eagle

And they hate Santa there.......
Th
PAT FAN

Post by Th »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Felix wrote:for Denver absolutely not-they've already got enough locker room cancer
I don't ever remember Vick being a cancer in the locker room.

Perhaps not but that brain tumor of a media circus will certainly test ANY locker room in the NFL.
Go Patriots! ! ! !
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

KC Scott wrote:Vick is an Eagle

And they hate Santa there.......

At least know the fully story..

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christma ... elphia.asp

For the record, the Vick signing was the worst in the team's history. He is NOT wanted here.. unless you're a black guy calling the local sports station in which case the Eagles just signed the best QB in the history of the league.. Seriously this signing is cutting across racial lines and it will get ugly. Question for those of you who bash Philly fan for the abuse we give players, if Vick is somehow assaulted before or during the game by a fan, how will most of you react?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

jim wrote:Question for those of you who bash Philly fan for the abuse we give players, if Vick is somehow assaulted before or during the game by a fan, how will most of you react?
Why would an Eagle fan assault M. Vick?

Jim, you say that the signing is the worst in team history.
Is that because it is what you think or is it because YOU hate M. Vick and don't want him on your team?

He was convicted of a crime.
He did his time ... substantial time in a very ugly place.
He pissed away tens of millions of dollars.
He's publicly apologized and said he recognizes the extreme poor judgement he used.
By playing ball in Philly (or anywhere else) he is not endangering anyone.

Why the need to crucify the guy?

Can he have a 2nd chance in the NFL without "Whitey" threatening to kill him?

Good grief.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I think most people aren't buying the fact the he's sorry about what he did. They think he's just sorry he had to spend 2 years in the Pen. He will have to prove he's sorry by his future actions. And Eagle fan won't forget until he helps them win a game or helps them get to the SB.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

poptart wrote:He pissed away tens of millions of dollars.
Why is this relevant?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Why isn't it relevant?

It was a statement of fact pieced with other facts about the downfall and attempted "comeback" of Mike Vick.

I just have no problem with him getting another chance.
As I've said a few times, nobody is endangered by him playing ball.
And if he somehow fuggs up in this 2nd attempt, then yeah, he should rightfully be gonzo from the league for good.

For jim to come in and pose such a question as "Hey, what would y'all think if M. Vick was assaulted by Philly fan?" is just bizarre.

I'd think it's pretty fuckin' sick and that whoever assaulted him is a dirtball.

Is there anything else to think about assault of an innocent victim??
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

poptart wrote:Why isn't it relevant?

It was a statement of fact pieced with other facts about the downfall and attempted "comeback" of Mike Vick.

I just have no problem with him getting another chance.
As I've said a few times, nobody is endangered by him playing ball.
And if he somehow fuggs up in this 2nd attempt, then yeah, he should rightfully be gonzo from the league for good.

For jim to come in and pose such a question as "Hey, what would y'all think if M. Vick was assaulted by Philly fan?" is just bizarre.

I'd think it's pretty fuckin' sick and that whoever assaulted him is a dirtball.

Is there anything else to think about assault of an innocent victim??

Pop I'm going to try and address the different points you brought up and questions you raised in this thread so if I miss any, I'll revisit.
Why would an Eagle fan assault M. Vick?

Jim, you say that the signing is the worst in team history.
Is that because it is what you think or is it because YOU hate M. Vick and don't want him on your team?
Mike Vick the human being is a piece of shit. His prior history, thought not necessarily filled with arrests suggests he had no real regard for anyone but himself. People want to say he served his time and I say it's bullshit that he only got 18 months in jail on a plea agreement. The fact that he lost millions is not a punishment to me. It's just the consequence of his actions and to that end is not something I equate with his jail sentence. One had nothing to do with the other. And while some people deserve a second chance, this is one piece of shit who's had multiple chances in life and history has proven that he ultimately does not care.

Now maybe he did hit rock bottom and so if the legal system says he is free to earn a living, I find fault with the NFL for allowing him back into the league. If you have a criminal history you can't work for the post office or Home Depot so why is the NFL any different.. don't answer that.. I already know why. $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Bottom line for me is that Vick has been given multiple chances to turn his life around and stop being the ghetto thug he's made himself out to be but he's gotten worse and worse.

The Vick experience has failed. Time to dismantle the ride.

So now I move on to Vick the football player. Last I checked, he sucked. Sure he had a cannon of an arm and yeah there are a few highlight reels of him making some TD runs but on a consistant basis, he was NOT a good NFL QB. He's now been out of the league 2 years and regardless of how great shape he kept himself in, history has proven that the NFL gets faster and faster and I'm pretty sure Vick won't have the same step he had 2 years ago. The real BS of this whole scenario is that everyone things Reid brought Vick in because he might help run some of the now famous "wild cat'' offense that is popular. The reality is Reid is bringing in Vick because he's seen his 2 sons go through some legal issues of their own, issues that put others in harms way and the latest reports are they are rehabbing and getting back on track. Reid has it in his head that if others can reach out and help his sons through their personal issues than maybe he can do the same with Vick. And if you listen to Jeff Lurie's press conference you'll hear him mention Reid and his 2 sons a few times so there is something with this that goes beyond football. And I have a big problem with the coach of a professional football team treating it like a half-way house instead of a professional organization trying to win a Super Bowl.
The reason I posted that question is because Eagles fans have a reputation for their violent behavior and whether the repuation is truly earned or not, it's on people's minds- How will Eagles fan's react? Well, assume that something does go down-- afterall we're talking about the most violent fans in the NFL right?

I'm not advocating that something should happen, I'm simply asking a what-if. Nothing bizzare about it, Pop.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Vick was never as good of a player as ESPN and any misguided foolish fans thought he was. I always said that. His thick skull might have a smidge of enlightment festering for his future duration in the NFL and he MIGHT not get in any trouble. But, eventually, he will mess up again.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

IndyFrisco wrote: I don't ever remember Vick being a cancer in the locker room.
Not a cancer, but not exactly a great QB either. His running ability was that made D Coordinators shart themselves, not his passing. When he'd break out of the pocket to run, invariably a receiver would get open, and every now & then, Vick would manage to get the ball close enough that the receiver could snag it.

I don't know what Reid thinks Vick is going to do the the team. He's not going to beat out McNabb, and he's certainly no threat as a receiver or RB or "slash"-whatever.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

To those saying Vick was never a good QB, I wonder what you've been watching.

Vick's record as an NFL starter was 38-28.

And those Falcon teams (from 2001-2006) were ranked the following in defense:

30th
19th
32nd
14th
22nd
22nd

Very poor.

The guy WON despite having overall slop for defense because HE MADE PLAYS.

A very unconventional QB, yes, but to say he was not good is a ... wow ... statement of ignorance ... or blind hatred.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

jim wrote:If you have a criminal history you can't work for the post office or Home Depot so why is the NFL any different.
The NFL is made up of 32 individual teams, with 32 individual owners.

If an individual owner wants to take a P.R. hit and assume the risk of taking on a player who's had past trouble, that's his choice.

The only reason I would see for the league to block someone from a 2nd chance ... someone who has done their time, ... would be if that player is endangering someone else by being let back into this workplace.

Vick's past crime(s) don't indicate this at all.

The league COULD have blocked Vick, as mvscal said, by citing his gambling situation with the dogs.

They didn't, and I agree with the leauge's decision not to block him on the basis of that gambling situation.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

poptart wrote:
The guy WON despite having overall slop for defense because HE MADE PLAYS.

A very unconventional QB, yes, but to say he was not good is a ... wow ... statement of ignorance ... or blind hatred.
Pops, I didn't say he wasn't a good QB- just not a great one. He MADE PLAYS because he could run- his pass completions were mostly a matter of scrambling until somebody got wide open enough to go after a ball in their general vicinity- which was as close as he could reliably get it. At any rate, my point is that Vick isn't going to scare anybody as a "slash" WR/RB. Unless he's in at QB, he's extremely limited as an offensive threat.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Cuda wrote:my point is that Vick isn't going to scare anybody as a "slash" WR/RB. Unless he's in at QB, he's extremely limited as an offensive threat.
I agree completely.

He's a QB.

Take away the dual threat and he won't amount to much as a "position" player.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

poptart wrote:Why isn't it relevant?

I could give two shits about what any criminal "pissed away" because of crimes he committed. I don't care if he was making 20 million per year or league minimum. He's a fucking convict. Fuck him.
Billy Pilgrim
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

Vick doesn't deserve anything.

He's got another shot with the NFL because he has the potential to win games and sell a TON of NFL merchandise. If he was a mediocre player, or an offensive lineman with a similarly-based skill set, we probably never hear from him again.

Still, the man served his time. You all may like to simply wash him away with yesterday's trash; however, that's not quite how the world works.

Whatever he deserves, he's been granted an opportunity to ply his craft once more.

Hate on him all you like for participating in a dog-fighting ring, but realize too you're only making yourself out to be completely ignorant when you try to compare the NFL to the USPS or any other corporate job that shuns convicted felons.

Vick won't be handling currency, and he won't be making any board room decisions.

He's going to throw a football. Plain and simple.

If enough of those footballs land in the arms of Eagle players over the next few months, he'll probably get to stay for a while.

If he does, indeed, blow his second chance opportunity, then Lurie will scrape him from the bottom of his shoe and move on to the next thing that can either help his team win games and/or make his franchise money.

Like it or not, you're going to have to deal with it. Whether you want to see him succeed or burn away, Lurie is banking on you tuning in all the same.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Cuda wrote: He MADE PLAYS because he could run- his pass completions were mostly a matter of scrambling until somebody got wide open enough to go after a ball in their general vicinity- which was as close as he could reliably get it.
Bullshit.

Way to show your ignorance.

Vick completed pinpoint TD passes to receivers with DB's draped all over them... while he was scrambling.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:He's a fucking convict.
Wow.

I hope you love your family as much as you love your dogs.

He's not a convict anymore, btw.
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

Cuda wrote:I don't know what Reid thinks Vick is going to do the the team. He's not going to beat out McNabb, and he's certainly no threat as a receiver or RB or "slash"-whatever.
SERIOUSLY? Do you even watch football? :meds:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

War Wagon wrote:I hope you love your family as much as you love your dogs.

He's not a convict anymore, btw.

It's not about that. I don't hate the man. Much like any fucking convict (it doesn’t matter that he served his time... he was convicted of a crime, ergo, he will always be a convict)... I just don't care what he no longer has because of stupid choices in life. End of.

n. Law (knvkt)
1. A person found or declared guilty of an offense or crime.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

poptart wrote: The NFL is made up of 32 individual teams, with 32 individual owners.
If an individual owner wants to take a P.R. hit and assume the risk of taking on a player who's had past trouble, that's his choice.
That's a lie and you know it. Before the Eagles or any team was allowed to negotiate with Vick, Goodell had to first allow for Vick to be reinstated into the league. It should have never gotten past that point. And once reinstated, every owner in the league benefits with increased merchandise sales which is going to happen in almost every major city because this guy is an icon in the black community.
The only reason I would see for the league to block someone from a 2nd chance ... someone who has done their time, ... would be if that player is endangering someone else by being let back into this workplace....

Vick's past crime(s) don't indicate this at all.
For at least 5 years this guy mutilated, tortured and killed dogs. I'd say his behavior is indicative of someone who is capable of far worse.
The league COULD have blocked Vick, as mvscal said, by citing his gambling situation with the dogs.
They didn't, and I agree with the leauge's decision not to block him on the basis of that gambling situation.
If not for any other reason, why not for the gambling? He was convicted of federal racketeering charges including illegal gambling. I'm still waiting for Goodell to explain why he reinstated Vick.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

You all act as if Vick suddenly changed his entire mindset in 18 months. How many ex-cons make a complete turn around? Poor Vick was given a bad set of DNA. He's an awful person and his black NFL colleagues are going to give him a pass.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Billy Pilgrim wrote: Hate on him all you like for participating in a dog-fighting ring, but realize too you're only making yourself out to be completely ignorant when you try to compare the NFL to the USPS or any other corporate job that shuns convicted felons.

Vick won't be handling currency, and he won't be making any board room decisions.

He's going to throw a football. Plain and simple.
yeah that's all he'll be doing.. :meds:

You're a fucking idiot if you're really going to take the Charles Barkley defense on this one. Whether anyone wants to call him one or not, Vick is a role model and his return to position where he is now earning a million dollars and potentially a lot more only highlight a significant flaw in the system. For at least 5 years this guy performed some of the most despicable acts upon dogs for the enjoyment of himself and others and yet in just 2 years he's able to "get paid" ... yeah I'm thinking the kids in the ghetto are learning a lesson on this one.

If the NFL really wanted to help rehabilitate this guy they would have told him they'd welcome him back in some sort of community relations position where he spends his time actually going into communities with dog fighting and other crime problems and finding ways to talk to kids and parents about just how much he fucked up. Instead he'll spend the majority of his time on the football field smirking that he got over big time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

jiminphilly wrote:Instead he'll spend the majority of his time on the football field sidelines smirking that he got over big time.
ftfy
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

jim wrote:If not for any other reason, why not for the gambling?
Gambling can be a VERY serious issue because a player can get tangled up in it to the point of betting on his own games and then compromising the integrity of the sport if he might ... tank ... in order to take a big payday.

Vick was involved in gambling with the dogs but it wasn't in any way related to sports betting.

You could see it differently, but myself, I don't view his dog "gambling" as a reason to ban him from the league.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

NAACP keepin it real.
Updated: August 26, 2009, 11:46 PM ET

Eagles hope to avoid 'ugly scene'
By Sal Paolantonio
ESPN
Archive
PHILADELPHIA -- A massive demonstration is planned to support Michael Vick at Lincoln Financial Field on Thursday, when Vick is expected to make his debut with the Eagles.

The Philadelphia chapter of the NAACP, the Black Clergy of Philadelphia and other local civil rights groups had planned a demonstration o support Vick.

We believe Michael Vick has served his time, paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance and the animal rights groups want to hold him hostage for the rest of his life.

-- J. Whyatt Mondesire, president, NAACP's Philadelphia chapter

However, the Eagles called the NAACP after hearing of the plans for the demonstration at the stadium, and asked them to cancel the rally to stop a potentially "ugly scene," J. Whyatt Mondesire, president of the Philadelphia chapter of the NAACP told ESPN.

Mondesire told The Associated Press later Wednesday evening that his group and the Black Clergy of Philadelphia had decided to proceed with their march on Thursday.

"We believe Michael Vick has served his time, paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance and the animal rights groups want to hold him hostage for the rest of his life," J. Whyatt Mondesire, president of the Philadelphia chapter of the NAACP, said Wednesday. "We think that's patently unfair. It denies Michael Vick's basic civil rights, denies him his ability to make a living."

The Eagles' security operation is planning for individual animal rights protests outside the stadium.

Earlier Wednesday, Mondesire said about a half-dozen groups from around the Philadelphia area were planning to meet at the front of Lincoln Financial Field and begin a march around the stadium prior to the Eagles' preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Eagles have not heard of any planned demonstration or protest from animal rights groups, which met with team management for two hours on Monday at the team's practice facility. Although no local animal rights group have yet to partner with the Eagles or Vick in a local anti-dogfighting campaign, the meeting appeared to end on a positive note and head off any planned massive protest, participants said.

Meanwhile, animal advocates are throwing a tailgate party on the other side of town Thursday for the 2nd Chance Dogs campaign -- a pointed reference to Vick's second chance in the NFL -- to increase awareness of dogfighting and encourage adoption of rescued pit bulls.

The initiative, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, was launched after the Eagles signed Vick, who served 18 months in prison for running a dogfighting ring.

"As a lot of people have pointed out, [Vick's] animals never got a second chance," SPCA chief executive Sue Cosby said. "We need to speak for them."

Local animal advocates seem to be keeping their distance. Rather than protest Vick or work with him, they prefer to use the public debate about his return to the NFL to raise money and awareness of animal cruelty issues.

"The animal welfare groups really have no interest in working with Michael Vick," said Tom Hickey Sr., founder of the Pennsylvania advocacy group DogPAC.

Hickey, who is also a member of the state dog law advisory board, has more than 5,000 signatures on a petition asking the Eagles spend the equivalent of Vick's salary -- $1.6 million -- to establish a rehabilitation and training center for dogs.

Nothing was decided at the meeting, but Hickey felt it was constructive.

"I think it was very educational for the Eagles. It was important that they get involved in the community," he said.

Eagles senior vice president Pamela Browner-Crawley told reporters afterward that "financial support is on the table," along with other resources, but gave no details.

Karel Minor, executive director of the Humane Society of Berks County, wrote on the agency's Web site that he was one of many at the meeting who felt it was time to stop chastising the team and start using its resources to help animals.

"We can make use of the power and influence of the Eagles to make a positive difference," Minor wrote. "We can challenge them to make good on their promise to help us end dogfighting and maybe even more."

Hostage? Hostage? How does a guy like Mondesire have any position of authority.. oh wait.. nevermind.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Whyatt Mondesire wrote:"We believe Michael Vick has served his time, paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance and the animal rights groups want to hold him hostage for the rest of his life," J. Whyatt Mondesire, president of the Philadelphia chapter of the NAACP, said Wednesday. "We think that's patently unfair. It denies Michael Vick's basic civil rights, denies him his ability to make a living."

I think he should be allowed to 'work' as well. As far as paying off his debt to society, I think that’s a work in progress.
:lol:

Listing of major financial obligations:
Although dozens of creditors were listed in the initial bankruptcy filing, several stood out as major ones, and among these, some had already obtained legal judgments and/or claimed priority over others.
Joel Enterprises
Joel Enterprises of Richmond was listed by Vick as one of his larger creditors. Sports agents Andrew Joel and Dave Lowman claimed Vick signed a contract with their firm in 2001, 9 days before he announced he was leaving Virginia Tech early and declaring himself eligible for the NFL Draft. With his mother as a witness, Vick signed a five-year marketing agreement that anticipated a wide range of endorsement activities using Vick's name, likeness, voice and reputation. Joel's cut would be 25 percent of all deals, excluding Vick's NFL contract, according to the agreement.[67] Subsequently, Vick attempted to end the relationship with Joel Enterprises suddenly a few weeks later, and entered into another relationship with other agents.
In 2005, Joel Enterprises sued Vick in Richmond Circuit Court for $45 million in compensatory and punitive damages for "breach of contract" . After the Virginia Supreme Court denied a Vick motion and ruled that the civil trial could proceed in December 2006,[67] the parties both agreed to submit the dispute to binding arbitration for resolution instead of a formal civil court trial. The case was heard in Richmond by Charlottesville attorney Thomas Albro. The outcome was an award of $4.5 million to Joel.[68]
Atlanta Falcons
Although he is not being paid while on suspension, the Falcons sought to recover a portion of Vick's $37 million 2004 signing bonus. A reduced amount of $20 million awarded to the Falcons in binding legal arbitration, which Vick was disputing. However, that amount was reduced by an agreement between the parties that Vick will pay the Falcons between $6.5 and $7.5 million, the variance depending upon the outcome of a pending court-case which was similar, but unrelated.[69] The bankruptcy court was advised of this Vick-Falcons settlement agreement on April 3, 2009.
Royal Bank of Canada
On September 20, 2007, Royal Bank of Canada, DBA RBC Centura,[70] filed a civil lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in Newport News against Vick for more than $2.3 million for a loan which was to be for real estate purposes.[71][72] The suit claimed Vick failed to meet a September 10 deadline to repay the loan.[73][74] On May 7, 2008, the court granted a motion for summary judgment against Vick for default and breach of a promissory note and ordered him to pay more than US$2.5 million.[75]
1st Source Bank
On September 26, 2007, 1st Source Bank, based in South Bend, Indiana, claimed in a federal lawsuit that it had suffered damages of at least $2 million as Vick and Divine Seven LLC of Atlanta had refused to pay for at least 130 vehicles acquired to be used as rental cars. The "Specialty Financing Group" of 1st Source provides financing for rental car fleets in many locations around the country, according to the bank's web site.[76] The company's listed address, 2527 Camp Creek Parkway, in College Park, Georgia is also listed as a Payless Car Rental franchise location.[77] College Park is a south Atlanta suburban area adjacent to the busy Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
According to a spokesman for the bank, 1st Source had been able to repossess most of the cars, which will limit Vick's financial liability in the lawsuit.[78][79] Vick's bankruptcy filing listed $400,000 as the amount of his potential liability; the filing did not indicate that the amount due 1st Source Bank was either secured by any assets or in dispute.[80]
Wachovia Bank
On October 2, 2007, Wachovia Bank filed suit in U.S. District Court in Atlanta seeking about $940,000 from Vick and Gerald Frank Jenkins, a business partner and their Atlantic Wine & Package LLC. The bank claimed the two defaulted on a May 2006 loan of $1.3 million to set up a wine shop and restaurant and had not made scheduled payments.[81][82][83][84] Jenkins, a retired surgeon, has owned Atlantic Wine since 2004. A news media report indicated that he had brought Vick in as an investor.[85][86][87]
On May 14, 2008, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported that summary judgment in favor of Wachovia against Vick had been granted by the U.S. District Court in Atlanta. The amount of $1,117,908.85 represented the initial principal balance outstanding ($937,907.61), interest accrued, outstanding fees, overdrawn accounts and attorneys fees. The order provided that further interest could be accrued.[88]
U.S. Department of Labor
On March 25, 2009, United States Department of Labor filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Newport News, alleging that Vick and others (including past financial advisers Mary Wong and David Talbot) violated federal employee benefits law taking funds in the amount of $1.35 million in withdrawals from the retirement plan sponsored by MV7, one of his companies.
The money held was in trust under pension laws to fund retirement plans for 9 current or former employees of MV7. The Labor Department simultaneously filed an adversary complaint in federal bankruptcy court to prevent Vick from discharging his alleged debt to the MV7 pension plan.[89] The complaint alleged that some of the funds were used to for Vick's own benefit, including paying restitution ordered in his dogfighting conspiracy case.[90]