44 TDs
11 ints
67.4 Completion %

Sam Bradford - 2008
4720 yds
50 TDs
8 ints
67.9 Completion %

Comparable stats with last year's Hiesman winner, but its obvious Keenum wasn't invited to New York for the following reasons:

UH's record was 8-4
They play in a mid-major
Gimmicky(sp?) offense

Houston plays Texas Tech and Ok State OOC this season. If they split those two games and come away with only one loss in C-USA and finish 10-2 for the season, does Keenum get invited to New York if he duplicates last year's performance?

I think it's worthy of an invite. Just my .02.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Re: Just hear me out

Post by Van »

Under no circumstances is any QB from Houston going to New York for the Heisman ceremony, not unless he pays his own way.

Barring injury, Tebow, McCoy and Bradford are locks. Maybe Jahvid Best gets a sniff. Maybe even Zach Robinson or Dez Bryant.

That's about it. They aren't inviting more than five. Four is probably about it, and with three of 'em being locks as QBs, no other QB has a chance, with the possible exceptions of Robinson and Terrell Pryor, should he just suddenly explode this season.

Oh, and of course, ND's QB. That guy will always have a shot, if he kills it, no matter who he is.

Had Mark Sanchez stuck around, that'd be it: Tebow, McCoy, Bradford and Sanchez, with Jahvid Best being the only other possible party crasher.

A popgun offense guy, from a team who plays nobody, who's seen by nobody?

Houston's QB could throw for 6K yards, with 50 TDs and 2 picks, and he still ain't going, because nobody cares.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

A popgun offense guy, from a team who plays nobody, who's seen by nobody?

Houston's QB could throw for 6K yards, with 50 TDs and 2 picks, and he still ain't going, because nobody cares.
That line of logic didn't stop Colt Brennan from becoming a finalist, though I agree Keenum's got no shot due to the depth at the qb position this year in BTPCFB. Pryor won't even have to have a massive year to "out qualify" Keenum.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

That's exactly it. Too many other locks at the same position.

That, and Hawaii was a BCS bowl team that year, which Houston will never be.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

That sandlot, 7 on 7 passing league, flag football offense that OU runs isn't gimicky?

When you take a gimick offense and put it in at one of the big Big 12 schools suddenly it's no longer "gimicky" I guess. The Big 12, top to bottom, played some of the worst pass defense in D1 football last year, they had some amazing QBs in gimicky- summer passing league- offenses but when those schools played in their Bowl games they didn't put up the same huge numbers they did vs Big 12 defenses.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

note that the Bix XII with it's gimmicks and pass D ranked #1 by conference in rushing yards. interesting, for a pop-gun, summer 7 on 7 league.

Pac 10 6th. behind the MAC, C-USA.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/ ... _off_1.pdf

also, note that Baylor out-rushed USC's pro-style/run/pass juggernaut.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?y ... =IA&dest=O

it's so comfortable to live in a land of spoon-fed ESPNisms. if you want to rip the Big XII, schmick, at least bring some numbers to the table. and, yes, the SEC has better numbers than the Pac 10 and that's considered a pretty salty D league. as does the allegedly gravy-footed Big 10, better O numbers than the Pac (with Jahvid Best). almost defies imagination.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Froz, I gotta know, you been drinking? Rack the multi-post rant, but it smelled like booze a litle.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Bwa!

RACK! Froz.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

War Wagon wrote:Bwa!

RACK! Froz.
x2 :lol:
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Wow... froze may have encouraged me to log in on eht weekends more often in the future if he keeps this up... sorry I missed that. Rack Froze!
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Andre Ware you at?
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Good points made by many about the deep QB talent this year. Maybe Keenum would have a better shot in '10.

Another name that I just remembered who could be invited to New York is Jevon Snead.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Until they get under center and can progress through their reads while dropping back and throwing in a rhythm, they're gimick qbs. Joe Montana has recently said as much when asked about saint tebow, Im no Montana fan but he knows more about playing QB than I or anyone else on here does
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Until they get under center and can progress through their reads while dropping back and throwing in a rhythm, they're gimick qbs. Joe Montana has recently said as much when asked about saint tebow, Im no Montana fan but he knows more about playing QB than I or anyone else on here does
until Michael Jordan masters the two-handed bounce pass he'll always be a gimmick player. the game changes.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Michael Jordan did master the two hand bounce pass, and no, the game doesn't really change. Not the NFL, anyway, and not the NBA.

If you want to win an NBA title you have to have dominant, "untouchable" go-to stars on offense, for the fourth quarter, and you have to play defense, all night.

If you want to win a Super Bowl, you ain't doing it with a gimick offense, or a gimick QB. Michael Vick or VY will never take a team to a win in a Super Bowl, not while there are highly skilled and efficient conventional QBs like Brady, Manning, Warner, Roethlisberger, etc, in their way.

The "Greatest Show On Turf" Rams would be the closest thing to an exception, and still that team was led by a very steady, heady decision maker at QB. He never ran with the ball, and their offense wasn't the least bit about QB improvisation. It was all quick timing reads and check downs.

Tebow's game bears no relation to successful QB play in the NFL.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

this thread is about some cat getting an invite to NYC for the Heisman, what does the NFL have to do with it?
"
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

KC, you were responding to Socaltrjn's comment about Tebow, wherein he referenced Joe Montana's comment about Tebow, which obviously had nothing to do with Tebow's chances of being successful in college, but rather in the NFL.

Obviously Tebow is wildly successful playing QB in college, and short of having an aneurysm on the sideline he'll be an invitee to New York for the Heisman ceremony. That's a given. Socaltrjn's point is that his game at Florida doesn't translate at all to success at the NFL level, per Joe Montana.

Remember, we were talking about gimick offenses, and gimick QBs.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

socaltro's quote doesn't specify that Montana is talking about NFL qb's or NFL success. just that if a qb doesn't take snaps under center that he's a "gimmick"...which sounds like a sort of curmudgeonly "back in the day real men played football" comment from an aging former star with Barry Manilow hair. if it were up to me, OU would still run the wishbone and have 5 pass attempts per game but i don't accept the premise that if a guy makes reads out of the gun he can't be anything other than a "gimmick" qb.

that's a silly absolute that is somewhat anachronistic like a two-handed chest bounce-pass or the set-shot as critical fundamentals to basketball greatness. Peyton Manning is a pretty gimmicky guy and he's got a ring.
"
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

You could also make the argument that Weis ran a gimmicky offense with Brady at times. On several occasions I saw 5 wideouts and Brady in the shotgun for entire drives. Hell, their first drive of the season against the Colts on Thursday night football was 5 wide all the way to the goaline. The game has certainly changed.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Drew Brees played in Joe Tiller's gimmick at Purdue and was the Offensive Player of the Year in the NFL in 2008.
"
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Nice BtFrankHizzo rant.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Back to the topic at hand, let's take it a step further. It's definitely a stretch, but let's say Houston manages to upset both Taco Tech & Okie St. and runs the table in C-USA. Assuming he puts up similar numbers to last year, would he get a sniff at the Heisman as the QB of a 13-0 BCS-bound mid-major?

BTW, welcome aboard, Coogs. Can't wait to read the epic flame war with Lefty the week before the Rice/UH game...
"Keys, woman!"
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

No, not unless Tebow, Bradford and McCoy all die in a house fire first.

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Van wrote:No, not unless Tebow, Bradford and McCoy all die in a house fire first.
I don't think you would need to eliminate all three of them for Keenum to get a look. If even one of those guys (or their respective teams) has a shitty season, it would open up the door for a dark horse. Now if the question is "Can Keenum actually win the Heisman?" then yeah, your house fire scenario would probably have to happen. But I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he could at least get a token invite to the ceremony if McCoy, Bradford or the Messiah falters...
"Keys, woman!"
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

He'd still have to get through the Jahvid Bests of the world, and all the other "darkhorse" candidates like Eric Berry, plus the surprise guys from big BCS conference teams who are sure to pop up, as they do every season.

He's not even on the radar. Hell, he hasn't even fueled the plane, much less left the hangar.

H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

I'm no Tebow fan...largely due to ESPN's bullshit but, speaking of gimmick qb's- Isn't Leinert about to be the 3rd qb on his NFL team? Looks to be a hanger-on in the NFL and will be out of the league within two years. I think USC having 5 stars 2 deep at every position is what made Leinert a "gimmick". Ol' Matty aint doing so well on a level playing field.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Ol' Matty is stuck behind a future HOF-er who also makes more $$. That future HOF-er just had another near-MVP season. There aren't ten QBs in the entire NFL who wouldn't ride the pine behind Kurt Warner.

If you're the Cardinals, who would you play, the experienced guy with the bigger paycheck and only a little bit of time left, Kurt Warner...or some kid, who makes less, and who can benefit from learning under Warner?

Yeah, Leinart won a Heisman, but they got him with the #10 pick, not the #1 pick, so they don't have all that much $$ invested in him. Do you really expect them to sit Kurt Warner, with his bigger paycheck and shorter shelf life?

Nobody in their right mind is sitting Kurt Warner, under those circumstances.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

H4ever wrote:I'm no Tebow fan...largely due to ESPN's bullshit but, speaking of gimmick qb's- Isn't Leinert about to be the 3rd qb on his NFL team? Looks to be a hanger-on in the NFL and will be out of the league within two years. I think USC having 5 stars 2 deep at every position is what made Leinert a "gimmick". Ol' Matty aint doing so well on a level playing field.

What gas station is Eric Crouch working at? the same one as Jason White?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

socal wrote:Nice BtFrankHizzo rant.
:lol:

Of course, BtH's posts weren't so badly misspelled that you couldn't figure out what he was trying to say. The same can't be said about Rizzo, though.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Warner's got a bigger contract because he's better than Leinart. Warner was brought in because Leinart wasn't cutting it. No need to defend Leinart. He was a good college QB. Just not cut out for the NFL. Many others have had the same story.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Van wrote:Ol' Matty is stuck behind a future HOF-er who also makes more $$. That future HOF-er just had another near-MVP season. There aren't ten QBs in the entire NFL who wouldn't ride the pine behind Kurt Warner.

If you're the Cardinals, who would you play, the experienced guy with the bigger paycheck and only a little bit of time left, Kurt Warner...or some kid, who makes less, and who can benefit from learning under Warner?

Yeah, Leinart won a Heisman, but they got him with the #10 pick, not the #1 pick, so they don't have all that much $$ invested in him. Do you really expect them to sit Kurt Warner, with his bigger paycheck and shorter shelf life?

Nobody in their right mind is sitting Kurt Warner, under those circumstances.
I don't think that was his point.

His point was that Leinart's 2nd spot on the depth chart is even in jeopardy. There was an article released recently that suggests Leinart will battle Brian St. Pierre for second in line. St. Pierre - a guy who's done even less in the league than Leinart.

The criticisms against Leinart, at least the ones I've read, haven't really doubted his physical ability or that he was a "gimmick" qb. It all seems to be between the ears with him; that he isn't mentally tough.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Leinart wants to collect his money, keep his face in tact and become this douchebag.

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

The only way someone from Cougar High is getting an invite to NYC is if they go undefeated and are rolling up 80 point wins again.

In the meantime Cougar High might want to work on making their games attractive to their student body. Nothing like walking up to that HS stadium and getting decent seats between the 30s 5 mins before kickoff.

Anyway, good to see some Cougar High rep here. You should pretty well mop the field with us this season, but the back and forth should be fun. Not that the rest of this board will give a rats ass.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Left Seater wrote:The only way someone from Cougar High is getting an invite to NYC is if they go undefeated and are rolling up 80 point wins again.

In the meantime Cougar High might want to work on making their games attractive to their student body. Nothing like walking up to that HS stadium and getting decent seats between the 30s 5 mins before kickoff.

Anyway, good to see some Cougar High rep here. You should pretty well mop the field with us this season, but the back and forth should be fun. Not that the rest of this board will give a rats ass.
i'd like to see some Cougar High in the hoops board. the continuing career of Tom Penders is not without it's intrigue.
"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

That guy is crazy. One of the loudest Cogar High fans here in Htown is the afternoon guy on the sport radio station. He can't stand the guy and would fire him today if he could.

Penders bad mouths Texas at every turn, calls ATM and OU scared little kids all the time, and the rest of college basketball cowards for not scheduling his school. Pretty funny when the OU coach was in town and gave a little soundbite to the media that went something along the line of "hey it isn't Cougar High, it is the idiot running the program."

EPCOT!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Left Seater wrote:That guy is crazy. One of the loudest Cogar High fans here in Htown is the afternoon guy on the sport radio station. He can't stand the guy and would fire him today if he could.

Penders bad mouths Texas at every turn, calls ATM and OU scared little kids all the time, and the rest of college basketball cowards for not scheduling his school. Pretty funny when the OU coach was in town and gave a little soundbite to the media that went something along the line of "hey it isn't Cougar High, it is the idiot running the program."

EPCOT!
at best, Penders was a poor man's Billy Tubbs....press a little, run and junk. difference was Billy actually knew what he was doing. and OU *owned* UT when Penders was there. some sad shit from that guy and his bass player for Night Ranger Reunion Tour '95 hair.

ah, memories of the great Luke Axtell. i wonder what he's doing these days.....

Penders is from the east coast or some shit, i don't even see how he was even let back into the GSOT. way you guys are.
"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Not sure why anyone would let him come anywhere near them. Don't know all the details surrounding Luke, but I do know Tommy released the kids grades to the media which is a huge no no. Then he had the balls to blame it on his assistant coach. Both were then let go, but when the details came out Texas hired the assistant back to do the radio of Texas basketball.

Sad thing is I bet Texas fan would have had Penders and his act for ever as long as he just kept his head down and made it to the tourney 9 out of every 10 years.