Any golf lately

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Any golf lately

Post by Go Coogs' »

I'm slowly regaining my high school form. I've been playing A LOT of golf lately. I was shooting at or around 82 for about 10 rounds over the past three weeks. I just wasn't breaking 80 like I used to, so it was time I called in a favor to an old friend and got a lesson.

One lesson and it seemed my problems were solved.

I played on Friday and shot a 78 with a couple of double-bogeys. Then I played on father's day and shot a 77 with three 3-putts. Next thing I did was work on the short game Monday and Tuesday to prepare for a round with three scratch golfers on Wednesday. I go out this morning and hit balls and chip and putt before teeing off. We tee off and I was in cruise control on through the first seven holes by making all pars. I'm feeling pretty good and then the fucking wheels fall off. Even par through seven holes I go triple, double to close out the front nine. Out in 41. Ok, I can recover. I get a snack and a gatorade at the turn and attempt to regroup. I never did however. I shoot a 47 coming in with three triples and a double. What. The. Fuck.

I have no idea what happened. Maybe I got tired or maybe it was the 105 degree weather we had today that finally got to me. How in the fuck do you par the first seven holes and then throwup all over yourself out of nowhere?

Anyways, it feels good that I am playing a lot of golf now. The weather is brutal, but at least I'm getting to play.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Any golf lately

Post by BSmack »

That's golf for you. Right now the joys of fatherhod have limited my links time. I've been out maybe 5 times this season. What I need to do is set up a practice area in my garage so that I can at least take some swings on a regular basis.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

my partially rehabed shoulder is still creating problems and I'm spraying it all over the place...the R9 FCT driver seems okay, but I simply don't have the power back yet to use it effectively....last time out I shot a 37-46 and the back nine is the easier of the two, so I'm down with the "I probably got tired" excuse explanation
get out, get out while there's still time
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Been averaging about 82-83 this season. Handicap has dropped a couple strokes. Last night, I go out and shoot 47-40-87. Our entire 5-some sucked shit on the front. We shot even par with handicaps on two best balls per hole. Talk about sucking. We went 3 under on the back as a group so overall we improved.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

My elbow is fucked again.

Played once all year -- twice around a 9-holer.

After a few month layoff...

You'll love this...

Went... uhm...

Kinda went 56 out.

No, that wasn't a typo.

Played the same nine again to finish the 18, and went 40... little easier to take.

Once the back healed, the elbow said "you still ain't making it through 18 pain free, buddy."

We'll all get over our maladies and start shooting 65's, right?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote: We'll all get over our maladies and start shooting 65's, right?
yeah sure we will
interesting thing about my last round, I played with a guy with what looks to be a about a 12 handicap swing, but shot a 2 under 69 (Par 71 course). Big huge fucking kid that generates the kind of club head speed I could only dream of....

but it was one of those days where everything simply worked....the most amazing shot was his second shot on a 515 yard par 5...he was about 230 yards out, pulls out a 5 iron (like I said, big strong kid) hits the sweetest little draw shot right at the green...we walk up and it's litterly a kick in eagle...about a foot...but I've never given a birdie putt in my life so an eagle is out of the question...I'll give par putts, buy you've got to earn birdies so I could give a shit if it's hanging on the cup, you're fucking putting it.....

the first hole on the backside is another par 5. He pulls his second shot way the fuck left of the green and has about a 30 yard approach to a long rectangular green with the pin in front....he fucking coons it and it rolls up and over the hill and finds the very back of the green...so he's about 50 feet...proceeds to drop the putt and I knew it was simply his day....he was hitting out of places I wouldn't put my worst enemy and making the Seve recovery shots that were unbelievable.....I bet next time he goes out, he'll probably shoot about an 81 and wonder "what the fuck happened"

but it was fun to watch and me and my bud were just laughing our asses off at his incredible luck....you know, where you start calling the shots before he ever hits them (stuck behind a tree, has to hit a huge cut shot for any chance to get there-I look at my bud and say "he's going to go right through that tree, you watch....sure enough, and barely touched a leaf!?!?!? 15 feet.

Yeah, it was one of those days.

Hey Dins, are you planning on making the roadie down here for the Ducks asskicking opener....the Thursday schedule pretty much fuks alot of people, but you're a resourceful cat
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shot a 91 last weekend after not having played for like 8 months. Hit at least 4 or 5 balls out of bounds/in the water and triple bogeyed both par 3's on the back 9 without any penalty strokes. The only saving grace was a birdie on the last hole, which was a long par 5 that I reached in 2, but left about a 70 foot eagle putt.

I drove the ball pretty well. Only missed 3 fairways and it was a tight course off of the tee, with some holes requiring 200+ yards of carry. Iron play and short game sucked badly.

Going out again today (weather permitting), so we'll see if I can fix what is wrong with my iron play and short game.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Felix,

Your story is identical to what happens to me. I don't hit a 5 iron 230, but I am usually 300+ off the tee. I hit a 5 about 200-210 (sup Ken's driver?). I'm a 13 handicap, and once, maybe twice, a year I have "one of those days". Now, I haven't broken par since I was 22, but I'll go out and shoot 2 or 3 over. I'll sit over a 15 foot putt and just know it's going in. I fucing cherish that day once or twice a year. And if I can keep playing as much as I am now (couple times a week) then I think I may get my game back.

By the way, I've not cooned a chip in about 4 rounds. I think I finally got control of my yips after about 10 years. Shooting low 80s consistently now makes me think I'm very close to getting to the 70s. The belly putter has taken at least 3 strokes off my game.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:Felix,

Your story is identical to what happens to me.
No, I've had the kind of day you're talking about, but this wasn't like that...it was the single luckiest round I've seen in 30+ years of playing, and I've seen lots of lucky rounds...this was unconscious......he was a nice kid and all, but he was one of those that not only had to tell you every club he hit on every shot, but also had to give a stroke by stroke analysis of the hole I'd just watched him play.....
The belly putter has taken at least 3 strokes off my game.
I've been fiddling around with those but it just doesn't feel right....I switched to cross-handed putting about 3 years ago and still don't have the distances down right...if it's over about 30 feet, I putt conventionally because I just have better distance control....

the shoulder surgery has taken about 30 yards in distance off my driver, and I'm hitting all of the rest about 10-12 yards short of what I normally hit, so it's really tough getting used to pulling a longer club out....my ortho guy told me the last 20% was the toughest and he wasn't joking....torn labrum's are the suck
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

The belly putter has completely controlled my 20 foot and less putts. The really long putts are a work in progress. Taking some getting used to because you really gotta whack it. I've read some people don't necessarily put the putter in their gut on the long putts. I plan on trying that in practice sometime to see if it helps.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

ugh, I went out Saturday and played a newly developed links style course about 25 miles from where I live....called Hunter's Point and what a bitch of a course....88 sandtraps, hard as rock greens and rolling at about an 11 on a stimp....from the tees I was playing it was about 6,700 yards, but it's one of those designs that requires absolute precision on approach shots...the hard fairways helped distance wise, but it's not a course to play if your not playing your best.....a 91 with two birdies
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shot an 82 on Friday on a nice course in some poor conditions (windy with some rain). Hit the ball fairly well off of the tee most of the day. Still had some trouble with irons. I haven't corrected the over the top swing too well since the last round (had it seemingly worked out on the range, but it didn't come with me to the course). My putting was on though, so I was happy about that. A couple of bad double bogeys on the back 9 killed me.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

I played about 20 times this past spring. Can't seem to get off the tee for the life of me. Swinging the driver over the top and need some tips on how to get rid of it to prevent the slice which is fucking horrible. Short game, from 6 iron down is money but any club over that give me a fade and the longer the club, the more the fade. Won't play again until August when the fall season starts.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Laxplayer wrote:I played about 20 times this past spring. Can't seem to get off the tee for the life of me. Swinging the driver over the top and need some tips on how to get rid of it to prevent the slice which is fucking horrible. Short game, from 6 iron down is money but any club over that give me a fade and the longer the club, the more the fade. Won't play again until August when the fall season starts.

http://www.free-golf-swing-tips.com/golf-slice-fix.html
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

So I gotta buy the book?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Laxplayer wrote:So I gotta buy the book?
no, just read the blurb as to why you're pushing the ball, then make the recommended changes....

it's always the subtle variances that make the biggest difference
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Played Saturday... rather horribly.

But hey, on the bright side, at least my elbow blew up again while swinging the driver. Good chance I might not be posting in the "Any Golf Lately" thread for a while... see how it goes.

You wanna see a ball slice? Lose control of your left elbow, and tee it up... pulled a full-on 90 degree bender off the side of the clubhouse... two fairways over. In anger, I pounded my 24* Nike hybrid so fucking hard, I flew all the trees, and stuck the recovery pin-high off the edge of the green -- from about 250 or so out... punished that thing something fierce... but the club speed was somewhere around Mach 1.5, which pretty much numbed up the elbow after that.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one