Is there a more overrated coach than......

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Is there a more overrated coach than......

Post by Cicero »

......Dean Smith.

I am watching ESPN's Top 25 coaches and Dean is #1.

Granted he is def in the Top 3 or 4 best college basketball coaches, but how can he be better than Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Bill Walsh or Scotty Bowman. Hell, I put Knight and Coach K in front of him. He had all that talent and only won two titles. If not for the idiot on G-Town throwing it to Worthy or Webber calling timeout, Dean might not have won none.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Do you just try to make stupid statements or does it come natural?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Explain how it is stupid. I didnt say that he wasnt good or even great, just that I think there are coaches better than him, and w/ the talent he had, he should have done more.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Bob Huggins is more overrated then Smith is.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

I guess in some circles huggins may be, but I would say most people now don't think highly enough about him for me to consider him overrated.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Cicero wrote:Explain how it is stupid. I didnt say that he wasnt good or even great, just that I think there are coaches better than him, and w/ the talent he had, he should have done more.
google Dean Smith...click 1st non-sponsored article and read.

he innovated College B-Ball completely.

coaches K and Knight are singing his praises....

PRO Basketball Coaches are not teaching on the same level...they're more managers of Egos.

your Scotty Bowman angle has great Merit.

might get down to a hair-splitting contest between him and Dean...or, a popularity contest--->whereas Dean would've been chosen.

Bowman might be the BEST...but, popularity of NCAA Hops will win out every time.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Is this the top 25 coaches over the last 25 years or ever? If it's ever, I would put Rockne up there because he did much more for College Football than Smith ever did for College Basketball.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Come on now. Let's get serious. Bela Karolyi did more for women's gymnastics than Rockne ever did for college football.

And Q said all I would have said. Dean is da man when it comes to coaches. And I HATE UNC.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Dean Smith overrated? Bah. He was a class act from day one and finished at or near the top of the ACC for decades. HE set the standard to which programs aspire to. Yeah, Kentucky has more hardware (and Wooden's teams were on another plain) but Smith maintained excellence year after year after year. He may have had a poor season back in '63 when the locals wanted him out (sounds like K after his first 3 years) but never looked back. I'll take Dean Smith over just about anyone.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Its the Top coaches over the past 25 years. Still , Dean should have done more if he was that good. Shit, Denny Crum was as many titles as eh did and Izzo or Pitino might equal him this year.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

That's true...but Denny had a lot of mediocre teams in there. And even Steve Fisher has a NCAA title. I won't rate a coach purely on number of titles won. You simply can't win that thing every year. Hey, I'm glad the 'holes didn't win more but for a whole package, Smith is at or near the top. Gotta' have Knight up there somewhere.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

I think he is overrated:

Sincerely,

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Impossible. Everyone says he is #3. Only people that I hear is better than him is Wooden or Smith. The only person I know that could even be considered higher than him is Knight.