With the first pick.....2009 draft thread

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

With the first pick.....2009 draft thread

Post by ChargerMike »

...the Detroit Lions take QB Matthew Stafford...yikes check out this deal...

Stafford will be the Lions' No. 1 overall draft pick after agreeing Friday night to a six-year deal that NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports will pay the quarterback $41.7 million in guarantees and could be worth as much as $78 million.

...hot off the high speed wire..

Skins trying to move up from the 13th. spot to grab Mark Sanchez. Also in the Sanchez sweeps the New York football Jet's and the Tampa Bay Buc's..

...ALL ABOARD..1 hour to go
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Re: With the first pick.....2009 draft thread

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

ChargerMike wrote:...hot off the high speed wire.

Is there a 16.5 hour delay between Detroit and San Diego?

Post subject: Re: Give me a namePosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Shoalzie
WingNut
Location: Vicksburg, MI 6 years, $78 million with $41.7 million guaranteed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4097641
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
ChargerMike wrote:...hot off the high speed wire.

Is there a 16.5 hour delay between Detroit and San Diego?

Post subject: Re: Give me a namePosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Shoalzie
WingNut
Location: Vicksburg, MI 6 years, $78 million with $41.7 million guaranteed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4097641

...not that I know of William...I sawr that post, just re-setting the beginning of the draft in the LIVE draft thread.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Tyson Jackson?

Great, the Chiefs take another LSU d-lineman with a top 5 pick who also probably won't be able to sack the QB, ala Glenn Dorsey. Wtf is it with the KC-LSU conection?

I wanted a lineman, but not that one. Guess I'll watch Orapko terrorize opposing QB's for some other team.

Shit, they should've traded down and raped the Jets instead of having to pay the kind of bonus cash the 3rd pick commands.
DELSDAD
Elwood

Post by DELSDAD »

I'm relieved Sanchez is gone. Hopefully the Skins will try to trade down.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Bwa - Oakland passes over higher rated WR's Crabtree and Maclin for Darius Jackson. :lol:
DELSDAD
Elwood

Post by DELSDAD »

I'm happy for a Maryland guy, but Jesus.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Correction: Darius Heywood-Bey... whatever.... was the 26th rated overall pick and Oakland takes him 7th.

I look forward to seeing Rai-duh fan melt over this.
DELSDAD
Elwood

Post by DELSDAD »

You should have gone with Darius Rucker :)
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

'skins got over bigtime. I can't believe Orapko fell to 13th and neither can they. Notice how they didn't waste any time at all making the pick with over 7 minutes left on their clock.
Last edited by War Wagon on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Denver takes Knowshon Moreno?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, why would you want to address the defense, when you can pick another RB to compliment the other 15 you already have....

Hey, maybe Wells will still be available at 18
get out, get out while there's still time
DELSDAD
Elwood

Post by DELSDAD »

I wanted them to take him to begin with. Just didn't think he'd be there. Rack it.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Felix wrote:Denver takes Knowshon Moreno?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, why would you want to address the defense, when you can pick another RB to compliment the other 15 you already have....

...they were not going to chance him falling to the Bolts at 16

...looks like the Bolts will have their choice of the SC linebackers, I'm hoping Maualuga, but Beanie Wells would not suck either.
Last edited by ChargerMike on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Take solace in the fact that none of the AFC West teams fans are happy so far.... c'mon Chargers, let's make it a clean sweep.
DELSDAD
Elwood

Post by DELSDAD »

War Wagon wrote:Take solace in the fact that none of the AFC West teams fans are happy so far.... c'mon Chargers, let's make it a clean sweep.
Is that 4 for 4?
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

War Wagon wrote:

Take solace in the fact that none of the AFC West teams fans are happy so far.... c'mon Chargers, let's make it a clean sweep.
ask and ye shall receive.....Larry English??? somebody help me here :meds: :meds: wasn't this guy a second round projection? :doh:

ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

...OUT!

P.S. summabeech

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

War Wagon wrote:Bwa - Oakland passes over higher rated WR's Crabtree and Maclin for Darius Jackson. :lol:
Did you hear ESPN say there was a collective sigh of relief at his table when Oakland passed on Crabtree?

LMAO
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

ChargerMike wrote:
War Wagon wrote:

ask and ye shall receive.....Larry English??? somebody help me here :meds: :meds: wasn't this guy a second round projection? :doh:
Don't doubt the Chargers! :wink:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

trev wrote:Did you hear ESPN say there was a collective sigh of relief at his table when Oakland passed on Crabtree?

LMAO

Your team made a rather odd choice themselves. Lowest rated player taken thus far... and you won't see one lower until the middle of round two.

:lol:
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

Oh. My. Fuck.

I honestly cant believe the Chargettes, Queefs, and Doinks drafted the way they did in the first round. I am 1000% truthful when I say that I feel much, much, much better after seeing the idiocy on full display across our division. Dumbfucks, all of them.

I still cant believe we passed on Raji and Monroe for DHB. :x
Did you hear ESPN say there was a collective sigh of relief at his table when Oakland passed on Crabtree?

LMAO
Raiderfan is lol'ing bigtime at where that pussy ended up. Enjoy the downward spiral of the toilet flush also known as the 9ers, you sorry fuck. I cant wait to see this bitch get caved in trying to catch many an errant pass from one of thier many laughable choices of unfortunate dickbags to get the job under center.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Phillyfan is gonna' love Maclin, a freaking steal at the 19th pick.
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

Shutup already, Wags-I wouldve been just as pissed if we would've drafted Maclin too. He's a soft ass who will be middle tier AT BEST throughout his career.

Philly blew it-they just drafted the next Pinkston.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

RJ wrote:I wouldve been just as pissed if we would've drafted Maclin too. He's a soft ass who will be middle tier AT BEST throughout his career.
Maclin's soft? Just how in the fuck did you arrive at that conclusion?

If Oakland would have snagged him, you'd have been calling him the next Tim Brown.

Soft?

Elite WR's who also return kicks are not known for being soft. The fact Philly traded up with Cleveland to ensure they got their man says you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Teams would kick it out of bounds to avoid taking their chances with him taking it back all the way, which he did many times.

Not to mention, he came out after his sophmore season, which means he has plenty of upside and will develop even more.

Dude's gonna' be a great NFL player, mark my words. Donavan McNabb is already licking his chops knowing what he's got to throw to now.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Tom Cable said Oakland needed someone with speed and size that will allow Russell to go OVER THE TOP.

The VERTICAL game! 8)

He said the Raiders targeted Bey a couple of months ago.
When asked if they considered trading down to still land him, Cable said there was concern that they may need to trade ... UP ... to get him.

LMAO

Who knew senility is contagious?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Okay, bare minimum, if the Raiders are so stupid as to pass over Crabtree to get a "speed" WR, why not Percy Harvin, who's at least a proven football player...

Maclin would've also been a better choice than Bey. Crabtree, Eugene Monroe or Orakpo should've been a no-brainer, for the Raiders. Any one of those three, or Maclin, would've been a much better pick than Bey.

Orakpo just looks like he has "star" written all over him. Teaming him up with Albert Haynesworth in Washington, that's a helluva off season for Washington.

(Happy, WW? :mrgreen: )
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The actual pick of Stafford was bad enough but on top of that...the contract. Stafford won't start immediately...it appears to be Culpepper's team for the time being. They didn't address the offensive line in Day 1 but they have two 3rd round picks tomorrow and they need to look at bolstering the defense...I touched on the defensive tackle spot and at middle linebacker. They passed on Maualuga twice...that was the best natural middle linebacker available in the draft. Peria Jerry was there at #20...he would've looked good on the inside with the veteran Jackson.

They needed a tight end at some point but not this early in the draft and is Pettigrew that much better than the rest of the tight end prospects? It's another case of getting bad value at the spot. Only two TE have been take today...they could've waited until tomorrow to get Ingram, Coffman or Beckum. You have to wonder if they could've got Pettigrew at #33.

I'm not too familar with Delmas even though he's from the area at WMU. He's physical at the safety spot...that's all well and good but the secondary didn't need as much help in the inside position in the front seven. I don't want another year of Paris Lenon at middle linebacker. I would've take Maualuga's sideline reporter-freaking ass at both #20 and #33. I just don't like the value of these three picks. They needed players at these three positions at some point but they passed on three more important positions that could help them now.

Day 1 Grade: D
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

It's true that Crabtree might be overrated, Buttsy.
We'll have to wait and see.

To me, the glass half full view of Crabtree is that he is the second coming of Michael Irvin.
Not a speedster, but very strong hands and arms ... just WILLS himself to make catches.
Very competetive.

I dunno.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Heyward-Bey is maybe more of an attractive prospect based on "measurables" but anyone that's watch Texas Tech the last two years knows how dominant Crabtree can be. He's going to be the best receiver of this class and the 49ers got a steal with him at #10.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Larry Fitzgerald
Marvin Harrison
Steve Smith
Anquoin Boldin
Hines Ward
T.O. (blech)

Jerry Rice

None of these guys, who are some of the best receivers in football, were combine stop watch shatterers. Speed in a WR is just about as overrated as arm strength in a QB.

Crabtree will be awesome, if he keeps his head on straight. Bey isn't going to amount to shit, especially not now that he'll be on the hopeless Raiders, with their absolutely anemic passing game.

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It's not "Bey" you fucking inbreds. It's "Heyward-Bey." And if you haven't noticed already, he'll probably make do like fellow "alum" Vernon Davis and be yet another Terp alum to get dressed down on the sideline for being a lazy piece of shit.

Enjoy RJ and your fellow pole-smoking Duh fans.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

DELSDAD wrote:Hopefully the Skins will try to trade down.
PCP much?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Screw_Michigan wrote:It's not "Bey" you fucking inbreds. It's "Heyward-Bey." And if you haven't noticed already, he'll probably make do like fellow "alum" Vernon Davis and be yet another Terp alum to get dressed down on the sideline for being a lazy piece of shit.

Enjoy RJ and your fellow pole-smoking Duh fans.
As far as I'm concerned it's Susan-Dey.

RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

assVandalized wrote:Larry Fitzgerald
Marvin Harrison
Steve Smith
Anquoin Boldin
Hines Ward
T.O. (blech)

Jerry Rice
Steve Smith
Calvin Johnson
Chad Johnson
Candy Moss
Marvin Harrison (he ran a 4.38 40 yet is on your list)
Santana Moss
Joey Galloway

All are very good/great WR's who are fast as hell. Some of this list will be in the HOF.

I may be pissed about our first round choice, but that emotion is a blip compared to the utter embarrassment I feel for Vans blatant dumbfuckery-the likes of which havent been seen since TRAVIS 13 graced us with his PCP induced capslock presence.

Calling who will and wont be 'busts' merely hours after the draft is the absolute height of stupidity. That bar is now set at 'Van'
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
trev wrote:Did you hear ESPN say there was a collective sigh of relief at his table when Oakland passed on Crabtree?

LMAO

Your team made a rather odd choice themselves. Lowest rated player taken thus far... and you won't see one lower until the middle of round two.

:lol:
Round one: Raiders

Pick Analysis:In a bit of a head-scratcher, the Raiders bypass Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin to select Heyward-Bey. Although the former Maryland speedster recorded the best 40 time (4.30) at the combine, he is raw and unrefined as a receiver. He may eventually develop into a big-time weapon in the Raiders' offense, but he is a bit of a reach as a potential No. 1 receiver.

Round one: Chargers

Pick Analysis:After watching their sack output drop significantly with Shawne Merriman injured, the Chargers add another pass rusher with English. The hard worker gives Ron Rivera a possible replacement for Merriman in the event of a rehab setback, and he gives the team three capable rushers in its 3-4 (Shaun Phillips, Merriman and English). With pass rushers at a premium, the Chargers made a wise choice.

Take a hike, You Can't.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Hair Product, look at the list again...

You doubled Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison, neither of whom built their careers on sheer speed.

The point is that sheer speed isn't a prerequisite to NFL stardom at WR, and if you dispute this you're even dumber and more of a Raiduh than you normally appear. The Raiders' penchant for drafting speed rather than football players nearly always fails, as well.

As for Bey being a bust, I didn't say he is, and I didn't guarantee he will be. I did say that you don't draft him at #7, especially since in the Raiders' anemic passing game he'll be little more than a situational gimick receiver. He's a modern era Raider receiver. He's not going to put up #7 pick numbers.

He's already being ripped as being the obvious worst pick in this draft. No dissenting opinions, anywhere.

RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

Van wrote:Hair Product, look at the list again...

You doubled Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison, neither of whom built their careers on sheer speed.
Wow. Just Wow.

How did they get open to catch the balls thrown to them again? Speed had nothing to do with it, huh?

Their combine numbers say you're a complete and total dumbfuck-but then again, we already knew this. DHB was the fastest of the WR lot, which is why he was drafted by us. Kinda like a shitload of other receivers by multiple teams over the years.
The point is that sheer speed isn't a prerequisite to NFL stardom at WR
How fucking enlightening-thanks for pointing this out to the bunch of us here who have actually played and been following the game since we were youths.

Sit down, shut the fuck up, and continue peddling neon helmets, grips and pegs to 'stunting' crotch rocket fags you silver domed land of the lost fuckbag-you bring absolutely nothing to this forum.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Van wrote:He's already being ripped as being the obvious worst pick in this draft. No dissenting opinions, anywhere.
Pete Prisco of CBS Sportline gave the Bey pick a B+ immediately after it was made.

He said Bey fits what Oakland wants to do better than Crabtree or Maclin.

Oakland will want to continue to build it's offense around the run game.
Bey came from a similar situation in Maryland.
He won't cry about "not getting his touches."
He blocks well, too, and he works his ass off, or so they say.
He knows the drill

Take it for what it's worth.

It's all words blipping by on a computer screen.

What happens on the field matters.

I am in agreement, Van, that Oakland should have traded down if Bey was the guy they had their eye on.

Maybe someone snookered Al into thinking they were going to snag Bey early.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

trev wrote:Take a hike, You Can't.

Whose analysis was that? A local hack? Your team took someone ranked high 20s/low 30s with the 18th pick. He was the first player with an overall rating below 90 to be taken.

As bad as Oakland's pick was, he was rated higher than "your guy" on any and every draft board.

A "DE" (read as OLB) who's slow off the edge and only weighs 255? It sounds like he'll neither stop the run nor the pass at the next level. :lol:

Eat shit.
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Your team took someone ranked high 20s/low 30s with the 18th pick
Actually it was the 16th pick of the draft when SD took DE Larry English (ranked 28th overall) it worked out good for Denver when they took DE Robert Ayers (ranked 15 overall) with the 18th pick