Orange chicken

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Orange chicken

Post by smackaholic »

Yesterday afternoon, lil' miss smackaholic says let's get chink tonight.

I suggested we make chink instead.

Can we make orange chicken? She asked.

We can try. Never attempted it before as I generally don't care for the sweet chink dishes.

So, I found this on the interwebs....

http://blogchef.net/orange-chicken-recipe/

Was just about out of brown sugar so I added a good squirt of honey instead, prolly a half cup or so. I think this was a good substitution.

Not bad at all. Infact, it was damn good any pretty quick. Definitely better than the crap you get at the typical chink take out joint. Think I'll try sesame chicken next time.

Note: Mrs. smack had to stay late at work, so I put some of the breaded, but not yet cooked chicken aside in the fridge and fryed it up when she got home 2 hrs later. That wasn't as good. Kinda tough. If you are gonna hold off on making some of it, don't roll the chicken in flour until you are ready to make it.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Orange chicken

Post by indyfrisco »

Shoulda saved some of that flour to roll Mrs. 'holic in when she got home.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Orange chicken

Post by smackaholic »

How do you know I didn't? :wink:

Fortunately, I think I got a decade or so before I need to consider that option. But then again, the ole roll'er in flour deal requires some degree of self lubrication, so I might be fuct anyway. Or is it not fuct?

BTW, used up the rest of the chicken tonight with on chicken and broccorri, which is usually what I go with at the local chink joint. I was kind of dissapointed. It was a'ight, but, unlike with the orange chicken, I think the take out version of chick broccorri was superior. the recipe called for a whole large onion and I think that was a bit of overkill. I will try a different recipe next time.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.