Equipment revamp

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Equipment revamp

Post by Felix »

I've been pretty unhappy with my game as of late so I spent 20 bucks to go to one of those club fitting guys and see what the problem was. First, swing speed has been significantly reduced since my shoulder operation in January (right now, speed with a driver is between 95 and 101) a drop of about 10 points. Obviously swinging a Titleist driver requires pretty consistent swings (nothing feels like it when you pure it, but nothing feels as bad when you miss it). So, I plunked down the cash for a new Taylor Made R9 driver, with moveable weight technology AND the ability to move the shaft around into different positions anywhere from neutral to 2 degrees open or closed. Went out to the range and figeted around with it and finally found what seems to work for me....heavy weight in center of the club, with the shaft two dgrees closed.

The shoulder operation has also caused me to start to lose my shots to the right (again, as a result of lower swing speed). My irons are Mizuno mp60's with S300 True Temper standard weight shafts). The answer-I'm changing all of my iron shafts to the Dynamic Gold SL shafts which weigh about 30 grams less than the standard Dynamic gold shafts I currently have. Total cost for the shafts will be about $350 with grips.......also reshafting one of my putters (an older Ping) to a mid length (belly) shaft to see if that might help.

any major plans in your game this year?
get out, get out while there's still time
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Equipment revamp

Post by indyfrisco »

I already changed my grips from the Winn "fake" wrap to a nice Golf Pride New Decade Red Round. My grips in the bag before were a hodge podge of different kinds so having all the clubs with the same grip is nice.

Of course, I seem to have developed a big draw that occasionally turns into a duck hook. I have been putting the ball on my right nut to control this, but this is not the ultimate solution. My driver is 47.5" in length. I may cut it down a tad. Not sure yet what I want to do.

For the most part, it is early in the season. I, too, am considering the belly putter. My putting isn't horrible, but the belly putter I think will really heklp my game under 10 feet. Also, I play right handed and putt left handed. This is due to the yips. I developed the yips in my putting and chipping about 9 years ago. I seem to have resolved my putting yips by using the same grip but putting lefty. I am considering buying a lefty sand wedge and trying to chip lefty as well. I thought all along it was against the rules to have both a lefty and righty club in the bag (with exception of putter) but our pro said it is legal. It is only illegal to have those chippers you can hit righty or lefty. I plan on going to Dick's or even the local knock-off clubmaker and getting a cheapo lefty wedge. If I am making some improvements, I will buy a nicer one. And by improvements, I mean it takes less than 3 chips to get the ball on the green.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Re: Equipment revamp

Post by Felix »

got my reshafted irons back today and took them for a test spin out at the driving range....I think my reaction is "why the fuck didn't I do this a few years ago"....seems that now I can draw the ball and seem to get about 5-7 yards further with the lighter shafts...obviously, the lighter shaft will allow an increased swing speed, and that may be the answer I've been looking for....

won't know for certain til I get out and play a round with them
get out, get out while there's still time