Tebow speech engraved on plaque

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Tebow speech engraved on plaque

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Tim Tebow's speech following a home loss to Mississippi last September motivated Florida the rest of the season.

Coach Urban Meyer hopes it can do the same for anyone else in Gainesville.

Meyer had Tebow's speech engraved on a plaque and placed outside the front entrance to the new football facility at Florida Field. Although it might seem like a strange move since Tebow still has one year remaining with the Gators, Meyer said he didn't want to wait.

Coach Urban Meyer immortalized Tim Tebow by engraving his speech following a home loss to Mississippi last September on a plaque.
"I'm not interested in 10 years from now because who knows if we're -- I might be toes up somewhere," Meyer said Wednesday as Florida opened spring practice. "I'm not a big fan of, 'Hey, let's wait down the road.' It was a speech that everybody in Gator Nation has a right to see on the side of the building."

Tebow's speech was an emotional promise he made after the Rebels upset Florida 31-30 on Sept. 27. Fighting back tears, Tebow vowed that no one would in the nation would work harder than him and his teammates the rest of the year. The Gators responded by running the table and beating Oklahoma 24-14 to win the program's second national title in three years.

Tebow, the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner, said Wednesday he hadn't seen the plaque that was put up two weeks ago. He already has a replica of his jersey hanging on a wall inside the stadium, part of a tribute to the school's three Heisman Trophy winners, so getting his speech immortalized might have been a little ho-hum for the 6-foot-3, 245-pound quarterback.

"I guess it's nice because it's the university honoring our team and what we accomplished and what that represents and all the work that we put in," Tebow said. "I guess it's cool to have something you said up there. It means a lot to some people, so I think that's cool."

Tebow said he has been too busy to check out the plaque. He spent spring break on a missionary trip with his family in the Philippines, speaking at elementary schools, high schools and colleges and visiting marketplaces and the orphanage his father helps run.

"Just doing a lot of ministering everywhere possible," Tebow said.

Tebow returned last week, watched several of his teammates work out for NFL scouts, coaches and general managers and then counted down the day until he could get back on the field. He opened spring practice looking to replace receivers Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy and both offensive tackles, but without many more questions.

The Gators return their entire defense and everyone else on offense.

Offensive lineman Matt Patchan was one of a handful of players who missed practice. Patchan injured his left leg in a scooter accident, but Meyer said he could return next week. Defensive tackles John Brown and Torrey Davis, two high-profile recruits two years ago, have left the team. Meyer said neither will be back this fall, but hinted that Davis could return after possibly attending a junior college.

Tebow, meanwhile, took snaps from under center and started work with new quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler in the hurry-up offense. The Gators want to take a look at the hurry-up this spring after seeing how it helped the Sooners reach the title game last season.

Tebow believes it could make a difference, and given what happened after his speech last season, his teammates certainly won't question him.

"I felt like he was a prophet for saying it," linebacker Brandon Spikes said. "He just said it and we got it done. He was a prophet."
I feel I'm a better person now for reading that.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Re: Tebow speech engraved on plaque

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Did he walk on water at the unveiling?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Gotta rack Urban Moses for hiking up the mount to get The Word so all can see.

The Tebow Commandments

1. Thou shalt not have any other quarterbacks before me.
2. Thou shalt not recruit another quarterback. You shall not call them, text them or write them for I, the Tebow your God, am a jealous God, punishing the Gator Nation for the sin of the fathers of those who hate me but showing love to the thousands of generations of Gators who love me and my biceps.
3. Thou shalt not take the Tebow's name in vain
4. Thou shalt remember the Saturday. Six days you shall labor and do your work, but on the Saturday, thou shalt rest and watch me.
5. Thou shalt honor the Tim and the Tebow, so that you may win much in the SEC Meatgrinder.
6. Thou shalt not kill, unless it is in the name of the Tebow.
7. Thou shalt not cheat on the Gators by cheering for another team
8. Thou shalt not steal from the Gator Nation.
9. Thou shalt not bear false testimony against the fellow Gator Nation Fan.
10. Thou shalt not covet anything Seminole, not their quarterback, male or female servant, or the horse their mascot rode in on.

So it is said.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

When Tebow ends up getting busted during a police sting of a glory hole rest stop on I-95, I will laugh.

I will laugh harder when it turns out that the guy he was blowing when he got busted was a Vols fan.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

We had this same deal with him around the SEC & BCS title games. We all know he does good things but we don't need to bashed over the head with it. You can almost be so good that in a way people would like something bad to happen to them. Perfection is probably more despised than constant failure. Most people can relate to failing from time to time because nobody is perfect. I think we all get uncomfortable when someone seems to do everything right and then we feel like total jerk-offs when we're constantly reminded of that fact. He can do his missions and be a good Christian...just quit jamming it down our throats. The media overdoes it with the extreme positives and negatives. If you're just pretty good, forget about getting any attention. You have to be god-like or a total asshole to get any run.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Shoalzie wrote:You can almost be so good that in a way people would like something bad to happen to them.
No one has wished ill will on The Tebow.

Now, if he were to slip, rupture his achillies tendon while shredding his ACL and MCL and tearing open his nutsack (assuming ESPN isn't cradling it at the time), I don't think anyone here would shed a tear. The Tebow, Himself, would tell you it was God's will...assuming the cameras are rolling.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

If it were Mike Ditka, a hurricane and the 2005 USC Trojans vs. Tim Tebow, who would win?

Tebow, 105 to -24. Daaa Tim.

RACK this thread, btw. IF has me cracking up at work. :lol:
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Shoalzie, its not Tebow's "perfection" that's causing this backlash against him.

It's the insane degree of sheer adulation heaped upon the kid. It's beginning to border on idolatry.

The fucker is still just a kid. He's still in college.

Commemorating a plaque to a kid and sticking it out in front of the stadium, while the kid is stil a student there?

That's simply nauseating.

Not only that, but I don't care what the official shpiel is on the Gator team, some of those guys have got to be getting absolutely fed up with the Tebow Is God rigamarole. This notion that Tebow is single handedly carrying Florida and willing Florida to victories must really chafe at a lot of the lunch pail guys on Florida. Florida's D and Florida's O line have one helluva lot to do with Florida's success but judging by the media one would think its just Tebow and the T-Boners; as if it's MJ's Chicago Bulls.

Radio Fan, one correction, if you would...

USC's '04 team was the real monster, not the '05 team. The '04 team had the healthy, dominating defense, to go with the stupid offense.

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Van wrote:Commemorating a plaque to a kid and sticking it out in front of the stadium, while the kid is stil a student there?

That's simply nauseating.

USC's '04 team was the real monster, not the '05 team. The '04 team had the healthy, dominating defense, to go with the stupid offense.
Yes, but ESPN's coverage of Tebow equals that of the coverage of the 2005 USC team which is what RF was getting at, but your contempt for Tebow at least lets us know that you know how we felt when ESPN was riding that 2005 USC cock (not that they've gotten off it).
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

IndyFrisco wrote: Now, if he were to slip, rupture his achillies tendon while shredding his ACL and MCL and tearing open his nutsack (assuming ESPN isn't cradling it at the time), I don't think anyone here would shed a tear. The Tebow, Himself, would tell you it was God's will...assuming the cameras are rolling.
the tebow would actually say he's happy for the injury because it gives him more time to minister and then the coaches and computers would tweak their bsc criteria to account for florida's undefeated season had the tebow not ripped his sack open, from which obviously would came wine.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

has anyone called him "god's only begotten tebow" yet?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

M Club wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote: Now, if he were to slip, rupture his achillies tendon while shredding his ACL and MCL and tearing open his nutsack (assuming ESPN isn't cradling it at the time), I don't think anyone here would shed a tear. The Tebow, Himself, would tell you it was God's will...assuming the cameras are rolling.
the tebow would actually say he's happy for the injury because it gives him more time to minister and then the coaches and computers would tweak their bsc criteria to account for florida's undefeated season had the tebow not ripped his sack open, from which obviously would came wine.
Not only did his nutsack provide wine. It also provided protein nourishment.

No, not the baby batter kind. The Tebow reached into his torn sack and handed two Tebow Fries to the first homeless man he saw. He then reaced back into the sack, originally holding only two Tebow Fries, and provided meat to another homeless man. The Tebow worked his way through all of Florida reaching into his torn sack and handing out more than 350,000 Tebow Fries.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

M Club wrote:has anyone called him "god's only begotten tebow" yet?
Close.

God begat Jesus.
Jesus begat Tebow.
Tebow begat Adam.
Adam begat Eve.
and you know the rest...
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Indy, two things...

-I don't have any contempt for Tebow. As far as I can tell he's a rarity among today's college athletes, and I mean that in the best of ways.

Everything I loathe about today's spoiled, ignorant, disrespectful "look at me!" thugs, well, Tebow is none of those things.

My contempt is simply for the people who deify the kid. The hero horship has gone completely overboard with this kid. Football is a twenty two man sport, or even a thirty three man sport, counting special teams.

It's not basketball, where one guy, like an MJ, can truly carry his entire team.

Which leads me to my second point...

-ESPN's cock suckery of the '05 USC team went way overboard, but at least it was based on something real.

USC was coming off two straight MNC years and they were in the middle of their second straight undefeated season. They had two Heisman winners and one of the best offenses ever assembled. They were loaded with 1st rounders.

There was at least a solid case to be made about their all time greatness, which no one would've disputed had they finished their business over the last six minutes of the title game.

This idolatry of Tebow? He's one guy. If Tebow played for Mississippi St few of us would even know his name right now. He's receiving accolades far beyond even the usually disproportionate degree accorded to any QB. Tebow is on a truly stacked team, and that's why he's Tim Tebow, as we know him.

I felt the same thing about Vince Young, even following the USC game. Yeah, the guy played a great game, but the fucker's uniform wasn't even dirty. Nobody said shit about the real stars of that game for Texas: the Texas O line. Those guys allowed VY to do anything he wanted, yet all we hear is how VY single handedly defeated USC.

Bullshit. Had VY been operating that night behind Baylor's O line and with Baylor's other weapons USC wins 48-10, even despite USC's D being so banged up.

Football is the quintessential team game. Somebody needs to remind this insanely fawning media of that fact.

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i'll break down every opinion you're ever to read of tebow:

i have nothing against him other than the media needs to worship saint fu rather than this particular fb player.

or will there be another 35 responses saying much the same thing?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Van wrote:-I don't have any contempt for Tebow. As far as I can tell he's a rarity among today's college athletes, and I mean that in the best of ways.
That's what I meant. I have nothing against the dude either. Just the FBJ II mentality the media tries to make him out to be.

As for FBJ I, I gotta say, the dude was the reason t.u. beat U$C. Not the O-line. WHile I hated that motherfucker, he was one of the greatest college players I have ever seen. As a Titans fan, you don't know how happy I was to see his ass benched for an over the hill dude who led them to the best record in the NFL (before choking against B'more). Dude was nails in college though and I gotta give him his props. No one sinle handedly beats anyone in CFB. However, if he were not in the game, they would have lost. Same as the year before against Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yeah, and if he were operating behind Nebraska's '05 line, he loses big.

A QB is only as good as his protection. VY went untouched, nearly the entire game. He had all day to throw, he had all day to run, he had open lanes and he was free to pick and choose.

None of that happens if he's lying on his back, or if he's rushing a throw. No matter how much he's VY, he's not VY if he's playing behind the Kansas St O line.

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

No need to argue semantics. It's a chicken or the egg argument. Football is a team sport. I never said he single handidly won the game. I do think if most any other QB was in the gam, all other things being equal, they would not have won.

In any case, we can what-if all night. I'm not big into arguing opinions or what-if scenarios. I don't try to change someone else's opinion. I give my perspective. I listen to theirs. And I'm done.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
It's not basketball, where one guy, like an MJ, can truly carry his entire team
That Jordan guy had some pretty good supporting casts in his title years.
True, bit it's still only a five man game and in basketball you play both offense and defense. MJ could literally clear out the floor and go one-on-five and still get it done.

He was much more than merely 20% of his team's production, and importance.

Also, no matter what his teammmates did, MJ could and would still get his.

VY, or Tebow? If their teammates disappear VY and Tebow get punched in the mouth. No gaudy stats, no highlight clips, no nuthin'.

Just pain.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
It's not basketball, where one guy, like an MJ, can truly carry his entire team
That Jordan guy had some pretty good supporting casts in his title years.
Luc Longley?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Van wrote: True, bit it's still only a five man game and in basketball you play both offense and defense. MJ could literally clear out the floor and go one-on-five and still get it done.
ja, literally.

He was much more than merely 20% of his team's production, and importance.
vince was definitely much more than 3% [33 players] or 5% [22 players] of his team's production, and importance.

VY, or Tebow? If their teammates disappear VY and Tebow get punched in the mouth. No gaudy stats, no highlight clips, no nuthin'.

Just pain.
half of young's highlight plays came when the oline didn't do its job. in fact, i remember a few quite clearly, being a michigan fan.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Wrong.

If the O line truly fails VY is lying on his back. No amount of athleticism will allow a QB to avoid taking a beating, not if his line doesn't afford him initial protection and open lanes with which to escape.

Even against Michigan VY was able to pick and choose his running and passing lanes. Against USC he literally spent much of the night running free, completely untouched.

Literally, as in exactly the way MJ often managed to successfully go one against five, after the other Bulls cleared out and allowed him to isolate on his main perimeter defender.

VY or Tim Tebow aren't even in the same universe as MJ was, in terms of the load each guy carried for their respective teams. MJ would've taken any team in the league to the playoffs.

VY? He would've taken 2-10 Baylor to a 2-10 record...3-9, tops.

Tebow? Stick him on Mississippi St and Sylvester Croom still gets fired.

These QBs flourish because of what their teammates allow them to do. If their teammates aren't dominant neither are they. They can't take a bad team and make them good.

MJ could. He was going to dominate, no matter what. His team was going to be competitive, no matter what. The performance of his teammates only made the difference between his teams being good or world champions.

Apples and gasket seals, comparing a QB's importance to his team to that of a dominant hoops player.

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

So, what is your point Van? Are you trying to say football is a team game? If so no one will argue with you.

The way you are taking this you seem to be saying that there are no great players in football. That can't be your point?

Granted VY wasn't the only reason Texas won the 2005 Citi Bowl, but he was most likely the main reason.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Lefty, of course there are great players in BTPCF...

This is my main point...
This idolatry of Tebow? He's one guy. If Tebow played for Mississippi St few of us would even know his name right now. He's receiving accolades far beyond even the usually disproportionate degree accorded to any QB. Tebow is on a truly stacked team, and that's why he's Tim Tebow, as we know him.

I felt the same thing about Vince Young, even following the USC game. Yeah, the guy played a great game, but the fucker's uniform wasn't even dirty. Nobody said shit about the real stars of that game for Texas: the Texas O line. Those guys allowed VY to do anything he wanted, yet all we hear is how VY single handedly defeated USC.

Bullshit. Had VY been operating that night behind Baylor's O line and with Baylor's other weapons USC wins 48-10, even despite USC's D being so banged up.

Football is the quintessential team game. Somebody needs to remind this insanely fawning media of that fact.

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Van wrote: Literally, as in exactly the way MJ often managed to successfully go one against five, after the other Bulls cleared out and allowed him to isolate on his main perimeter defender.
oh, now i remember: jordan's four other teammates totally used to hang out near midcourt and watch him take on the entire other team like a bad kung fu movie. either that or you just described every other nba offense before the zone. you shouldn't use hyperbole to answer hyperbole.

we get your point about tebow and young. frisco already put it better than you and didn't have to write a graduate thesis to do so. ja, one great player on a bad team isn't going to do much. but allowing for some of texas or florida's better qbs in their place [say, applewhite and weurfel] and they don't win national championships. part of the reason receivers and backs on those teams have so much space to work with is because the defenses they're playing against have to play conservatively to accomodate the skill set, or the oline have less complex blitz strategies to deal with because a player has to sit back and spy.
Even against Michigan VY was able to pick and choose his running and passing lanes. Against USC he literally spent much of the night running free, completely untouched.
you fail to take into account just how good he was. his last td run against michigan began in the arms of a defensive lineman. he broke that tackle and ran for a td. i remember specifically at least two times against usc where the safety would have lit young up on a blitz had he not simply ricocheted off of vince. so ja, we know: 11 guys at a time, but since you keep pointing out the loads each carried i'm pretty sure if you asked a d-coordinator getting ready to face one of those two who they're focusing their prep on, they wouldn't bring up their offensive guards.

as for the tebow's apotheosis, why are you so surprised? we live in a country that talks about representative gov't and checks and balances and the whatnot but nearly all the media and public's attention is on a single guy. granted, he carries a jordan-esque load compared to the rest of congress, but it's still easier to ask one guy why, why, why rather than nine.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

So in your arguement then the last two Heisman Trophies from USC shouldn't have been given to the individuals, instead they should have gone to the OL?

Without them neither would have done what they did.

From the perspective of someone at the 2005 Citi Bowl, I think the Texas OL had a realatively easy day against the USC DL. USC was so agressive that all the Texas OL had to do was allow them up field and then give them a little redirection shove as they went by. VY then had room to run against the LBs and DBs.

Further, I would say the Texas defense is more responsible for the win than the OL. USC up 12 in the 4th and without those back to back stops inside 6mins USC wins regardless of VY.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Left Seater wrote:So in your arguement then the last two Heisman Trophies from USC shouldn't have been given to the individuals, instead they should have gone to the OL?
That's one hell of a strawman, jumping from the discussion we were having to a conclusion about Heismans.

That being said, okay, I'll entertain the question...

The Heisman is an award given to the individual (not the unit or team) skill position player who had the flashiest season while playing for either a national title contending team or Notre Dame.

Since that is the criteria used in choosing the Heisman winner, no, I don't think Bush's or Leinart's Heismans should've gone to the USC O Line.

Were it up to me, however, many a Heisman would've gone to a lineman or LB, rather than to the undeserving "system QB" who won it.
Without them neither would have done what they did.
Abso-freaking-lutely.
From the perspective of someone at the 2005 Citi Bowl, I think the Texas OL had a realatively easy day against the USC DL. USC was so agressive that all the Texas OL had to do was allow them up field and then give them a little redirection shove as they went by. VY then had room to run against the LBs and DBs.
True. Add to this the facts that the Texas O line was really good and the USC D was really banged up and nearly mediocre, the entire '05 season.

Finally, inexplicably, where the fuck was the spy on VY?? I was shocked that Pete never gave in and assigned one if not two guys to simply spy and contain VY, at least in terms of running.
Further, I would say the Texas defense is more responsible for the win than the OL. USC up 12 in the 4th and without those back to back stops inside 6mins USC wins regardless of VY.
Hardly. The Texas D got flat out torched. USC piled up nearly 600 yards of total offense. They even outgained Texas. They put up a very fucked up 38 points. Lendale White had a great game. Reggie Bush also had a good game. Leinart went berzerk, going for well over 300 yards.

Had Reggie not had that crazy brain fart in the first half, with that bizarre lateral attempt, USC nearly puts the game away by halftime.

Both Ds got lit up that night. Texas just got the ball last, with sufficient time on the clock. Had USC needed to score again, and not just run out the clock, they would've. Had Leinart gotten the ball back with a couple/few minutes on the clock, following VY's last TD, USC rolls right back down the field and wins it.

The only reason the Texas D came up with those big stops was due to the fact that USC was trying to run clock, not score, and everyone knew it. Texas only had to concentrate on one type of short yardage play, and Reggie wasn't even on the field.

When USC was trying to score they moved the ball and scored at will.

Both D's got knocked the fuck out.

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

What's the Citi Bowl?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

It's Lefty's all too cynical reference to the corporate labeling of all the bowl games, including, in this instance, The BCS National Championship Game Played At The ATT Rose Bowl, Hosted By Citibank, The SBC Global Networks And Chuy's Auto Upholstery Shop

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Van wrote:It's Lefty's all too cynical reference to the corporate labeling of all the bowl games, including, in this instance, The BCS National Championship Game Played At The ATT Rose Bowl, Hosted By Citibank, The SBC Global Networks And Chuy's Auto Upholstery Shop
I'm pretty sure crocs are in there somewhere as well. If not, wouldn't surprise me if there were a "Croc Bowl" in the next year or so. At least it would be apropos.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

RadioFan wrote:
Van wrote:It's Lefty's all too cynical reference to the corporate labeling of all the bowl games, including, in this instance, The BCS National Championship Game Played At The ATT Rose Bowl, Hosted By Citibank, The SBC Global Networks And Chuy's Auto Upholstery Shop
I'm pretty sure crocs are in there somewhere as well. If not, wouldn't surprise me if there were a "Croc Bowl" in the next year or so. At least it would be apropos.
Next year...The 73rd Annual Crocs Gator Bowl.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Van,

My point with the whole Heisman thing is to say its ok to recognize individuals as you agreed. The same goes for game MVPs, no? Clearly VY was the MVP of that game. Yes, he couldn't have done it without his teammates.

As for the game itself we will have to agree to disagree. You will see it one way as a USC fan and I will see it another as someone rooting for Texas. For everything you point out I can counter. Your example of Bush's fumble nearly putting the game away at the half is laughable. Let's assume that USC goes on to score on that drive, the half time score would be 17-16.

I can further argue that had the Texas punt returner just made a fair catch on the first drive of the game where the Texas D stoned the USC offense for negative yards, USC wouldn't have scored a first half TD.

Further the Texas D got three sacks and one INT on the night, something the USC D couldn't.

Finally, I would argue that Bush wasn't in late in the game because he wasn't having the regular Bush type of night. If the Texas SS doesn't fall down over his teammates foot Bush most likely doesn't get his 26 yard TD run. Without that run he averages only 4.5 yards per carry. Same for his receptions. Dude had one play for huge yards and then he gives it all back, and really did nothing the other times he caught the ball. Texas would gladly give him 5 receptions for less than 10 a catch.

Anyway, as I said we will have to agree to disagree. We just see it in different lights.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Lefty, we can agree to disagree on the details, but the basic numbers don't lie, and there's no gray area there. USC flat out torched the Texas D all night, and vice versa.

All the revisionist history in the world that takes place these days will never change the fact that nearly 600 yards is still nearly 600 yards and a soft 38 points is still a soft 38 points.

Texas barely gave up those totals all season.

:lol:

If you want to argue that the Texas D made a stop or two that the USC D didn't, great, but I still say that was more about the situation favoring them than it was some sudden ability of theirs to rise up and do what they basically weren't able to do all night.

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Revisionist history?

Down to its basics the point is if Texas had USC's defense they don't win.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

No way of knowing something like that. The USC D might've done a better job against the USC O than the Texas D did. What gave the USC D fits wouldn't have been a problem facing USC's totally different O.

In a nail biter of a game more of the breaks went to Texas, they got the ball last with time on the clock and they won.

Both D's got destroyed.

That's all we know.

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I agree more of the breaks went Texas' way, created by the defense.

Coming into the game you had the two best offenses of that season. Everyone felt both teams would put up point and they did. The Texas D did a little more.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

The Texas D got more breaks, not all of which they created. Some of it was just plain good fortune. They gave up more yards, and the Texas D was healthy.

That game was basically a push. If it were a basketball game it was the old Paul Westhead Nuggets beating the RUN TMC Warriors, 142-140. Neither team outdistanced the other; both D's got lit up.

One team has to win, though.

All I know is that if I live to be a hundred that game will likely end up being my The One That Got Away, more than any other.

That game, and this fucking gorgeous brunette cheerleader, in high school.

The circumstances were totally different but the way I feel about this game, this has to be how fans of the Red Sox feel about the '86 Series, or how Yankee fans feel about the '04 ALCS.

This one will just forever fucking bug me. The one that always bugged me for most of my life was the Freeman McNeil/Jeff Fisher debacle in the '70's, but this one??

Goddamit.

In fact, Lefty, good idea...

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Left Seater wrote: Finally, I would argue that Bush wasn't in late in the game because he wasn't having the regular Bush type of night. If the Texas SS doesn't fall down over his teammates foot Bush most likely doesn't get his 26 yard TD run. Without that run he averages only 4.5 yards per carry. Same for his receptions. Dude had one play for huge yards and then he gives it all back, and really did nothing the other times he caught the ball. Texas would gladly give him 5 receptions for less than 10 a catch.
are you talking about why lendale white was tackled for a loss on that 4th down play? wasn't his shortest carry up to that point for six yards, or something like that?

what's there to even argue about this game? usc would've won the game could they have pushed around the texas d for a simple yard, but they didn't. in that regard, lefty owns all the *i'm right* in this particular discussion. defenses have a lot more room for error to play around with than offenses do. the rose bowl was a case of bend-don't-break played out over an entire game rather than a single drive.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

So games that got away.

For me it would have to be Texas @ Rice in 1997. RICE leads by 3 going into the 4th. Ricky Williams goes, Ricky Williams on us for maybe 260 yards and I think all 5 of their TDs. Phil Dawson who might still be in the league with Cleveland hits the game winner with about 5 to go.

That was a hard one. James Brown was relatively held in check that day. Williams on the other hand was not.

For Texas fans I would think that one would be easy, 1983 Cotton Bowl. Close loss on a late fumble deep cost them the game. Think they had an Iowa like 10+ players drafted from that team.

Good topic.