Golf season has begun

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Golf season has begun

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, I went out a couple days ago after work. Have not swung a club since Thanksgiving. I went to the indoor facility to hit a few balls in the net before my buddy got there. I shanked 4 of the 10 swings into the net. Great, gonna be a long 9 holes. Gotta get the rust off somehow.

Conditions: Pretty dry. Some wet spots. Grass is still brown and under is dusty. Greens were hairy even though they had been mowed a couple days before. About 65 degrees, but a 10-20 mpf wind. 10 mph constant with the gusts up to 20 or so. I don't give a fuck. Just want to get some swings in. Going to Florida Friday for a week of golf.

Hole 1 - Par 4 Bogey +1
Hole 2 - Par 4 OB = Snowman +5
Hole 3 - Par 5 Par +5
Hole 4 - Par 4 Bogey +6
Hole 5 - Par 5 (this is where it gets interesting) Birdie +5
Hole 6 - Par 4 Bogey +6
Hole 7 - Par 3 Birdie +5
Hole 8 - Par 4 (ok, so wind was behind my back and the green is tucked behind some 60'-70' trees on a 90* dogleg about 290 yards away so I go for the green/eagle) OB in the trees. Retee and get a bogey. Damn, just hit is down the fairway and this would have been a bird.) +6
Hole 9 - Par 3 Birdie +5 (41)

Not bad for my first golf since turkey day. And it is the first time I ever birdied both par 3s. They are both pretty basic holes, but the greens are so tough birdie is such a hard score. Both holes I made putts of 12 feet or longer. The hairy greens made it easy because you could be aggressive. Usually, they are like putting on glass. So, all in all, I was very happy with this effort.

At this time, my bud has a dinner to go to so I go in the clubhouse and have a jack and coke....and another...and another. About to head home and a guy I know comes in and wants to play 9. I figure ok, get 9 more in. We're a 9 hole club so it's basically the same 9 with some different tee locations.

I won't go hole by hole, but I get back to hole 7 (par 3) and I hit it. I start yelling at the ball to get in the hole. It was all over it. It stopped 6" short of the hole. I tap in for bird. So I'm 3-3 with birds on the 3s. Get to #9 and stick it 5 feet from the hole. I lip out my putt and par it. That would have been my first ever 4-4 birds on the 3s ever. All in all, I had 4 birds in the round and shot 82. That part of it sucks, but hey, first round in a long time.

Here's where I am playing on Sunday. My golf pro got me on it. He's working on other places for the rest of the trip. This is all I got booked fro now.

http://www.gatewaygolf.com/

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Golf season has begun

Post by Dinsdale »

It was way playable here recently, but I never made it out (my elbow is still fucked up, but getting better).

Now... not so much. Been pretty U&LInWinterlike last few days. Wet. Probably not wet enough to make fried eggs, but has softened up.

And early-season shag greens can be fun. Around this time of year, the grass starts growing at an alarming clip, but the ground is still soft enough that they don't overdo it with the mower. Funny how that extra 1/8th inch of grass or so is the difference between a finesse putt and a "power it at the cup" putt. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Nice to hear someone got out.

Been playing some disc golf, since I have lots of friends who go regularly, and it doesn't involve my left elbow... just not the same, though. Dang, I remember about 10 years or so ago, I used to have some mad freaking game on the disc track, and could hang with all but the bigtime tourney players. Now... not so much. I still make a putt every once in a while, though.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

there have been a dozen days that under normal circumstances I'd have been out....but a shoulder operation in January to repair a torn labrum and a partial rotator tear pretty much kicks the shit out of any hope to go out and play probably until May...the way my shoulder feels right now I'm not sure I'll even make it out in May which really sucks because there's a match play tournament I've played in every year for the last 20+ years over the memorial day weekend...

the physical therapy is fucking brutal and if I'd known what it was prior to the operation I'm not sure I'd have gone through with it...I could swing the club after the injury but I had absolutely nothing on it...pattycaking drives 220 yards and hitting 6 irons from 150 yards is not alot of fun-that's why I opted for the operation

glad you were able to get out...pretty nice round for your first time out
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote:pattycaking drives 220 yards and hitting 6 irons from 150 yards

Braggart.

Sin,
Ken
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
Felix wrote:pattycaking drives 220 yards and hitting 6 irons from 150 yards

Braggart.

Sin,
Ken
Ken shouldn't feel bad. Remember, Felix is playing further above sea level than most. That 150 yard six iron is probably a 140 yarder at sea level.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sure... but on the other hand, like the Dryside of Oregon, in winter/early spring, the thin air thingy isn't nearly as prevalent as the rest of the year. I've never been to Boise, but I belive it's pretty typical high dessert -- and this time of year, the air can be as heavy, if not heavier than "down here."

One of these days/years, I'll go hit up Black Butte. My golf buddies one year told the tale of both overshooting a 260-270 yard tee shot with a 4 iron (albeit an elevated tee). Not sure the elevation, but Black Butte is way the hell up there... and it gets hot as fuck. High elevation + blistering temps = looooong ball.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, played at Gateway as I mentioned above. Awesome course. Kicked my ass. Lost probably 8 golf balls.

I then played a couple courses at the country club we are members at.

http://www.bonitabayhighrises.com/Courses.aspx

Played Bay Island and Sabal. Bay Island kicked my ass again. Sabal I did well at. Lost 1 ball.

Funny thing is I was hitting the ball very well all 3 days. It is just that these courses, if you are not in the fairway or hit the green, you are in deep trouble, usually to the tune of a lost ball. Just makes me respect the pros that much more that they can go to these types of courses and beat the piss out of them.

Now back in Indiana after 10 days in Bonita Springs. Looking forward to hitting the links here now. Of course, my hand is all blistered up from so much golf on vacay. Unlike most of you asswipes, my little Mrs. keeps me satisfied at home so I don't build up the callouses on my hands like you. :hfal:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:Unlike most of you asswipes, my little Mrs. keeps me satisfied at home so I don't build up the callouses on my hands like you.
I gots me a nympho, and didn't have to do the I Do thing to get any.

BODE me.

She ain't exactly a size 2... BODE you.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:She ain't exactly a size 2... BODE you.
2 kids later and she's more of a 3. Still not bad BODE.