Best 4 Album runs by an artist/group

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Best 4 Album runs by an artist/group

Post by BSmack »

Figured we might want to separate this from the Stones thread.

Just a few off the top of my head

Led Zeppelin- I-IV
Miles Davis- Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, Live-Evil, On the Corner
Grateful Dead- Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, Skull and Roses, Europe 72.
Pink Floyd- Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, Dark Sind of the Moon
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan

Re: Best 4 Album runs by an artist/group

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk, If You're Feeling Sinister, The Boy With the Arab Strap, Fold Your Hands Child (You Walk Like a Peasant)
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

BSmack wrote:FPink Floyd- Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon
RACK it!!!

Rush - Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals
Dreams......Temporary Madness
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

If you're gonna go with the floyd, it has to be dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, the wall.

Zepp I-IV has got to be number one though.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:If you're gonna go with the floyd, it has to be dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, the wall.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Slave to Clear Channel

sin

Screwy
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Sonic Youth - Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty
REM - Their first five records were great
Husker Du - Zen Arcade, New Day Rising, Flip Your Wig, Candle Apple Grey
Foo Fighters - Their first five records were great
The Police - All five of their records were classic
Soundgarden - Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, Down On The Upside

There were others that had three works of near perfection but fell short of four classics in a row like:
Metallica - Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All. Preceded by Kill 'Em All (weak) and followed by The Black Album (fucking horrible).
The Replacements - Let It Be, Tim, Please To Meet Me
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote:
smackaholic wrote:If you're gonna go with the floyd, it has to be dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, the wall.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Slave to Clear Channel

sin

Screwy
Actually, polesmoker, I'll RACK suckaholic. Those are my four favorite Floyd albums as well.

Anything else I need to correct you on while I'm at it?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

I'd like to include the white album and Abbey Road, but Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine came in between - not that they were bad, just not as classic.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Rack Fu wrote:Preceded by Kill 'Em All (weak)

Just so's you know -- if you said that around a superdiehard 40-something Metallica fan, you'd probably be killed, since the superdiehards hold Kill as the standard by which all Metallica albums are judged.

I loved Kill, but agree with you that it's not the same quality as the next 3, which were of course three of the greatest metal albums ever made.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Rack Fu wrote: Foo Fighters - Their first five records were great
You list so many great bands, then totally ruin it by including a bubble-gum alternative pop MTV manufactured band lie the FFs. For shame.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Screw_Michigan wrote: You list so many great bands, then totally ruin it by including a bubble-gum alternative pop MTV manufactured band lie the FFs. For shame.
Image + E
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MGMT's not bubble-gum, nor are they manufactured for MTV. How many fucking videos do the FF's have? 20? MGMT hasn't written a song aimed straight for the teenage heart (and wallet) like "There goes my hero."

DICK.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Don't you have a blanket to cry into?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Obviously you have nothing to counter my assertion, so I must be correct.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I was with a lady the other day (as per usualm), when a MGMT song came on the radio.

First, this gal has been through the music -- her resume' of shows attended is extremely impressive. She often likes the poppy alt stuff. She's even written a couple of poppy alt tunes.

Her reaction to MGMT?

"That's possibly the worst excuse for music I've heard in all my years."

In fact, I've never come across any person in real life that doesn't think they're the laughingstock of bands currently getting airplay...

Therefore, I conclude that you and MGO are engaged in a troll job...

Have to be. No man would ever admit to liking that overt display of faggotry -- faggotry that has absolutely zero musically redeeming factors.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Rack Fu wrote: Foo Fighters - Their first five records were great
You list so many great bands, then totally ruin it by including a bubble-gum alternative pop MTV manufactured band lie the FFs. For shame.
Foo Fighters were a manufactured MTV band... right! Might want to brush up on the history of the band and get back to me.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

bizfelice's Neil Young 4 was pretty good in the other thread.

i also don' t think the White Album is to be denigrated. i do think Help! is vastly underrated.

67 and 68 the Beatles recorded 8 album sides. that's like 20 years of production for U2 and 7 or 8 Rolling Stone interviews where Bono claims they are better than the Beatles.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Agree that Help! tendes to be underrated. The white album is awesome, if a little self-indulgent. I guess that's what you get if you have unlimited funds, unlimited studio time and four guys who think they can do no wrong. Great stuff though. Abbey Road is one of my favorites.

But for a three album run I don't think anything else comes close to Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

most of the excess on the white LP is McCartney. songs about his sheep dog, and barrel house piano cheeseball Honey Pie.

which makes wild honey pie so great, and the pixies cover it on BBC sessions.
Last edited by King Crimson on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

True, but Lennon has some moments on there too.

I forgot to mention, beside the four guys there was fifth who was pure genius at pulling it all together.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dinsdale wrote:when a MGMT song came on the radio
I've never heard an MGMT song on the radio. Why do you insist on being a lying twat?
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Pantera

Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven, The Great Southern Trendkill (these 4 in a row are possibly one of the most brutal metal assaults of all time)

Korn
Korn, Life Is Peachy, Follow The Leader (then it drops off in my opinion)

waiting for Miketheangrydrunkencufan to list the Nickleback and Creed LOLOLOLOL
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:when a MGMT song came on the radio
I've never heard an MGMT song on the radio. Why do you insist on being a lying twat?
I don't think he's lying.

http://www.947.fm/pages/180290.php

I guess this means the U&L has faggy boy band bode.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:MGMT's not bubble-gum, nor are they manufactured for MTV. How many fucking videos do the FF's have? 20? MGMT hasn't written a song aimed straight for the teenage heart (and wallet) like "There goes my hero."

DICK.

Lately, I've started to get on board with some of the lesser known bands you've been singing the praises of for quite a while...My Morning Jacket, Belle & Sebastian and Mates of State to name a few...in fact, I consider My Morning Jacket probably my favorite band right now not name The Black Crowes. However, I don't see myself ever warming up MGMT. I've heard a few of their songs on the alternative channel on More Music...just not a fan of their sound.

As for taking shots at Foo Fighters...name a commercially successful band that hasn't put out a song(s) that was so sweet and sappy you could get a cavity when you listened to it? I know you love Pearl Jam...as do I...but defend Last Kiss, I dare you.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:defend Last Kiss
Nope. Won't defend Wishlist either. Those are my two "go take a piss" songs, where if I'm at a PJ show and they start playing it, those are when I go take a piss. When you have over 100 solid tunes like PJ has, you're going to have a clunker or two. And Last Kiss and Wishlist are those.

Mates of State was in Kzoo in November. That would have been a great time to see them. Good to hear you are discovering B&S. Which albums have you been getting into? You're going to need a copy of this show, it's from 03-06-06 from the 9:30 Club in DC. Pretty much sold me on the band.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/faz3ua

If you ever get into If You're Feeling Sinister and want a copy of the live album performance, I'll hook you up. Or you can get it at iTunes, it's called "Live at the Barbican."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I was reading on Wolfgang's Vault a month or two ago about the B&S BBC Sessions and how they did a cover of The Boys Are Back In Town. It peaked my interest and started listening to their entire catalog on Napster and I was hooked pretty quick. I did buy If You're Feeling Sinister...big fan of Stars of Track & Field. Kind of feel stupid for ignoring them this long but I'm a slow learn, what can I say?

Thanks for the link...it's downloading now...I'll listen to that this afternoon.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The BBC Sessions is pretty epic because it has a bunch of songs that I previously hadn't heard live: Seymour Stein, Magic of a Kind Word, Lazy Jane, etc. The Model is also one of my favorite live B&S songs. I would love to learn how to play the opening notes to the Model and Seeing Other People. Make sure to check out Push Barman to Open Old Wounds, it's a compilation of their Jeepster singles and has arguably the greatest B&S song ever written, I Love My Car, on it. What other songs and albums have stuck out to you?

You'll never cease to be amazed with the depth of their work. It's truly incredible. One of the most underappreciated bands of our generation.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MGMT is on 94.7 frequently... unfortunately.

And as far as PJ... I bought Pearl Jam's Greatest Hits... in 1992.

Back then, they called it Ten.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Pantera

Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven, The Great Southern Trendkill (these 4 in a row are possibly one of the most brutal metal assaults of all time)

RRRRRRAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Ran into my old bestest buddy/roommate recently, whose old buddy was the singer for Damageplan-btw. And we remenisced about the times we went and watched his old thrash band at the old Moosehead Cafe... good times. I'd forgotten about puking on the cherry Camaro, and the fight that ensued, and the bitchin eluding of the police as a result.

GREAT times. Miss that old club. Proximity to a freeway ramp is a good thing.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

MGMT are pretty popular here in Oz
I LOVE their album myself
SM have you heard the Presets stuff yet
They are totally brilliant & are going to be coming to the US later this year to do some of the festivals
3 of my favourite Presets tracks they also kickass live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ufW2INWmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhgcl8rqIUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlDZumpQY_4
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:And as far as PJ... I bought Pearl Jam's Greatest Hits... in 1992.

You can honestly go with a double album of Ten and Vs. and you'll have the majority of their best stuff. They actually just released a remastered version of Ten...listened to it yesterday. It's not worth going out and buying if you own the original but I forgot how good that album was since I don't listen to it much as I used to back in the day.

Some stuff from several years ago starts to feel new again when you don't listen to it for quite a while. I have a tendency to play the hell out of any new CD I get and then it sits on the shelf for a while and eventually I give it the "say, I haven't heard this one for a while" treatment and start listening to it again.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The new production on Ten is freakin incredible. The original Ten, while a great album, was never my favorite because of the over production. The new production is lean, stripped down and sped up. And Brother is the greatest PJ song of all time.

Dins, eat shit.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

No, jo, haven't heard the Presets yet. I'll have to check them out. Have you heard MGMT's demo "Climbing to New Lows?" If you like OS, you'll like the demo. It's a lo-fi version of their sound. Good shit.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:The new production on Ten is freakin incredible. The original Ten, while a great album, was never my favorite because of the over production. The new production is lean, stripped down and sped up. And Brother is the greatest PJ song of all time.

My favorite track on the remaster is Porch...that seemed to be the most dramatic change from it's original but I like both versions.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:MGMT is on 94.7 frequently... unfortunately.

And as far as PJ... I bought Pearl Jam's Greatest Hits... in 1992.

I always see you guys bagging on Screwball for this MGMT band. I've never heard of them. So I just checked out their website. I just listened to one part of one song. I think it was called Electric Feel. I could have sworn I was listening to Brittney Spears. I'm being serious here. Then I saw pictures of the band and it was a couple dudes. Did they have their nuts cut off? I'm with Dins. Screwy and MGO (if he defends that abortion they call music) must be trolling. I'd rather listen to my sweet old grandmother fart in my face than to MGMT one more second.

Anyhow, rack the list of Pantera and Korn, coupla my favorite bands back in the day. Don't really listen to much music these days. I pretty much just listen to sports radio.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MGMT's a little too cosmopolitan for you backwater Indiana hicks. Anything not country/western, classic rock, or three-chord butt-rock is a little bit too much for you. I get it.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Korn fan bagging on MGMT. The irony is fucking rich.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Like I said...14 seconds in and that's better than MGMT.

You think just because most of these folks bag on you for all the other stupid shit you've posted they are bagging ont his band. Not the case for me. I, for one, enjoy reading many of MGO's takes. He seems to think this band "rocks" as well. I'll have to disagree. You grabbing at straws to attempt to insult others doesn't make MGMT suck any less. In fact, it reinforces not only their sucktitude but the sucktitude of their fanbase as well.

Carry on carrying on.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It's not that they merely suck... lots of bands fucking suck.

But in all my years, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything quite so devoid of any sort of redeeming qualities -- I'm fairly certain that MGMT has never even heard the term "musical theory," much less know what it is.

A constant in the universe is that there's going to be bad music -- sometimes bad in that it doesn't suit your tastes, some of it bad because it was written/performed by people with limited musical talent/skill/education...

But MGMT is a few steps beyond that...

It makes for sad commentary that a couple of the young "men" here, who laughably try and pass themselves off of Arbiters Of All Things Cool In Music even acknowledge that semi-rhythmic garbage as "music."

I've said it to these tools (SM, MGO), and I'll say it again... if you ever took so much as an introductory course in music theory, your world would come crashing down around you, and you'd likely become suicidal at what fucking clowns you are.

Because MGMT only vaguely meets the definition of "music." It really is THAT bad.

And again, that's not an issue of "taste," it's an issue of laughably deficient grasp of Western Music.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Why don't you enlighten us with your "musical theory" education then and breakdown how MGMT hardly classifies as music. Other than that, as usual, you're just full of shit.