In honor of Peter Dragon: Wiki your high school!

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Re: In honor of Peter Dragon: Wiki your high school!

Post by H4ever »

Chris Bober, former New York Giants and Kansas City Chiefs football player.
Dave Rimington, namesake of the Rimington award (awarded to the top interior lineman in Division I FBS football, former Nebraska offensive lineman, former Cincinnati Bengals football player [1]
Jim Hartung, Olympic gold medalist [2]
Marlin Briscoe, First starting black quarterback in the NFL.
John Faiman, former Nebraska quarterback and current Bellevue West High School head football coach.

don't laugh
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Van wrote:Ken, that rules, about Christina Aguilera being your neighbor!

Umm, did you finger her?

:twisted:

-Wolverine Steve
What?! :oops:

I'm not sorry, she was a strong 7 and I was a dozen Goebels into the evening. Any one of you would have done it.

And Aguillera is a no-brainer.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Agreed, and you were the man.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:Notable Alumni
Actress Erin Murphy, Bewitched
Elizabeth George, Mystery Novelist
Brad Davis, Musician, Bassist, Fu Manchu
Elliott Parks State Champ in 1996 (high jump) Still holds the Orange County Record at 7'2"
Ginger Reyes, American rock bassist with the bands Smashing Pumpkins and Halo Friendlies
Lindsay Soto of the Fox Sports Network
Swimmer Kaitlin Sandeno, four-time Olympic medalist
Rob Johnson, NFL Quarterback
Steve Stenstrom, NFL Quarterback
Actor Brian Krause, Charmed
Elaine Youngs, Professional Beach Volleyball Player - AVP tour
Tony Furtado & the American Gypsies, The Motet, Hamster Theatre

pretty short list but Lil Lindsay makes up for it (honestly didnt know she went to El Toro)
Damn, dude, how long has your high school been around? Looks like the oldest person on that list is about my age.
Its pretty old, opened in 1973
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

R-Jack wrote:
R-Jack wrote:. . .

Gino Torretta (graduated 1988), 1992 Heisman Trophy winner

. . .

So yes, our most noted athlete was arguably the worst Heisman winner evah
Did you forget about me?

Sin,

Really? You dispute my claim with someone who set a shitload of NCAA records. Run N Shit or not, he dwarfed Torretta in every way shape and form. Gino barely got 3000 yards and couldn't even break 20 TD passes his Heisman year. AW was at least fun to watch. Gino was just the guy giving the shocker to the center on the National Champion team.
Torretta wasn't on the national championship team in the '92 season when he won the Heisman. 'Bama beat them in the Sugar Bowl (surprised Sudden Sam missed this one).

Ware put up a lot of those huge numbers against hopelessly overmatched opponents. SMU coming off the death penalty out front told me so.

I'm in no way defending Torretta, and I actually agree with you to a limited extent: if I had a Heisman vote in '92, I would've voted for Marshall Faulk rather than Torretta. That being said, Torretta's selection was hardly surprising. The unwritten rule about a Heisman winner having to play for a national championship contender wasn't quite as firmly ensconced back then, but there was a bias against guys from lower-profile schools nonetheless. Other candidates had come from low-profile programs ('sup, Paul Palmer) and not won. OTOH, had Marshall Faulk put up those numbers at any of a number of higher-profile programs, he probably would've won the Heisman in a relatively easy manner.

As for Ware, granted, I was on an overseas deployment for much of the season Ware won the Heisman, but I still kept up with things as best I could. I would say that his selection was a bigger shock to me than was Torretta's. If you had pinned me down on a prediction in '89, I probably would have gone with either Craig Erickson or Tony Rice ahead of Ware.

So Torretta's selection wasn't what would've happened in a perfect world, but neither was it unexpected. Ware's selection was unexpected, at least to me, in that there were viable candidates from higher-profile programs.

As for Torretta, while I disagreed with his selection, he's by no means the only Heisman winner with that distinction. Off the top of my head:

1989: I would've put my bias aside and voted for Craig Erickson over Andre Ware.
1990: Rocket Ismail over Ty Detmer (no disrespect to Detmer, and bias notwithstanding. Rocket, with the possible exception of Reggie Bush, was the most exciting college football player I've ever seen.)
1992: Marshall Faulk over Gino Torretta.
2000: Drew Brees over Chris Weinke (and I'm not just basing that on subsequent NFL careers, I said that before Brees ever played a down in the NFL. I had seen enough of him against ND to know that he was a special college player.)
2003: Matt Leinart over Jason White.

And I'm sure there are a few others as well, but those are the ones that jump out at me off the top of my head.
Last edited by Terry in Crapchester on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

SoCalTrjn wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:Notable Alumni
Actress Erin Murphy, Bewitched
Elizabeth George, Mystery Novelist
Brad Davis, Musician, Bassist, Fu Manchu
Elliott Parks State Champ in 1996 (high jump) Still holds the Orange County Record at 7'2"
Ginger Reyes, American rock bassist with the bands Smashing Pumpkins and Halo Friendlies
Lindsay Soto of the Fox Sports Network
Swimmer Kaitlin Sandeno, four-time Olympic medalist
Rob Johnson, NFL Quarterback
Steve Stenstrom, NFL Quarterback
Actor Brian Krause, Charmed
Elaine Youngs, Professional Beach Volleyball Player - AVP tour
Tony Furtado & the American Gypsies, The Motet, Hamster Theatre

pretty short list but Lil Lindsay makes up for it (honestly didnt know she went to El Toro)
Damn, dude, how long has your high school been around? Looks like the oldest person on that list is about my age.
I wouldn't consider that terribly old by high school standards. I wouldn't consider my high school terribly old, and its first graduating class was in 1966.

Of course, there's a difference between public and private high schools in that regard. Public high schools are considered a continuation of the old even when they move into a new building.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Brazoswood High School
Andy Cavazos - 2007 Professional MLB Pitcher - St. Louis Cardinals
Ronnie Heard - 1995 University of Mississippi, NFL Safety for the San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints 2000-2005
James Jurries, Minor League baseball player, busted for using steroids
Robert Eddleman - Online columnist, Wizard Magazine
Cole Deggs - Lead singer of Columbia Nashville recording artist, Cole Deggs and the Lonesome
Christopher Earls - Guinness world record holder: Longest toenail
Stephanie Guerrero - Miss Texas USA 2004, 1998
Bryan Payne - Champion Rodeo Cowboy
Troy Norrell - Minor League Baseball Player
David Hodge - Professional Football Player
Dean Guillot - Professional Mixed Martial Artist
From the list, I played baseball with Ronnie Heard and Troy Norrell. Cole Deggs is a friend of mine still. Sucks his band just broke up.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Of course, there's a difference between public and private high schools in that regard. Public high schools are considered a continuation of the old even when they move into a new building.
private schools can't/don't remain the same when they move buildings? wha? i can think of 3 or 4 private high schools in Denver or OKC that have moved into newer buildings or bigger campuses and are still called the same thing. there's something i'm not getting here.....
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

King Crimson wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: Of course, there's a difference between public and private high schools in that regard. Public high schools are considered a continuation of the old even when they move into a new building.
private schools can't/don't remain the same when they move buildings? wha? i can think of 3 or 4 private high schools in Denver or OKC that have moved into newer buildings or bigger campuses and are still called the same thing. there's something i'm not getting here.....
I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been.

What I was trying to say was that private schools often have originated at a later date than public schools. For example, the Catholic high school I graduated from didn't have its first graduating class until 1966. Except for some of the more sizeable cities, back east anyway, most public high schools date back farther than that. The public high school in the town I live in now dates back (I think) to the 19th century.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Game over.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Van wrote:
Game over.
i don't know...Michigan Steve fingered the sister of the co-writer of Northern Exposure. there's a combo of dignity, accomplishment, and bravo about fingering.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Okay then, how about this...

If Michigan Steve, Shoalzie and Christopher Earls were all the same person then we'd have the guy with the world's longest fingernail finger banging his cousin.

Then would it be game over? I believe the girl would say it is, along with her ability to reproduce.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

SoCalTrjn wrote:
I wouldn't consider that terribly old by high school standards. I wouldn't consider my high school terribly old, and its first graduating class was in 1966.

Of course, there's a difference between public and private high schools in that regard. Public high schools are considered a continuation of the old even when they move into a new building.
for Southern California and Southern Orange County specifically, it's pretty old. The school nearest to the house is called Tesoro, it opened in 2001. Other High Schools here in the CUSD are Aliso Niguel which opened in 1993, Capistrano Valley in 1977, Dana Hills in 1973, San Juan Hills in 2007, and the grandfather of them all, San Clemente in 1964, they usually have their first graduating class 2 years after they open so they dont take upper classmen out of their current schools.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

damn you guys all have lots a semi-famous and famous people from your home towns.. my high school has been around for a long time and not much.. strange..
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

SoCalTrjn wrote:for Southern California and Southern Orange County specifically, it's pretty old.
SoCalTardjan,

Your geographic prowess ranks right up there with coaching kids, I see. Some schools in L.A. and Long Beach opened before 1900.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

socal wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:for Southern California and Southern Orange County specifically, it's pretty old.
SoCalTardjan,

Your geographic prowess ranks right up there with coaching kids, I see. Some schools in L.A. and Long Beach opened before 1900.
Yes, some. Take a look at the majority of them though, the district near my house has the oldest school opening in 1964, Id bet that most of the High Schools in Southern California opened after 1960
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

SoCalTrjn wrote:
socal wrote:
SoCalTardjan,

Yes, some. Take a look at the majority of them though, the district near my house has the oldest school opening in 1964, Id bet that most of the High Schools in Southern California opened after 1960
You mean new high schools were opened to meet the demand of the post WWII baby boomers?

:shockingmedsroll:
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

so what exactly are you arguing about, that an opening year of 1973 isnt pretty old for a High School in South Orange County or that it is because some innercity schools in LA opened much earlier?
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

SoCalTrjn wrote:so what exactly are you arguing about, that an opening year of 1973 isnt pretty old for a High School in South Orange County or that it is because some innercity schools in LA opened much earlier?
English, motherfucker. Do you speak it?

1973 isn't "pretty old" for Southern California. Orange County schools like Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Fullerton broke ground before 1900. Laguna Hills HS in South OC opened in the 1930's I believe.

Do you need a map? I'm pretty sure they're all south of Mt. Tam.
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Laguna Hills opened in 1978, Laguna Beach is the oldest High School in South Orange County, it opened in 1934. The next oldest opened in the 1964, San Clemente. The majority of the High schools in this region, which is what I was commenting on, opened up later

San Juan Hills HS 2007
Tesoro HS 2001
Dana Hills HS 1973
El Toro HS 1973
Trabuco Hills HS 1985
Mission Viejo HS 1966
Laguna Hills HS 1978
University HS 1970
Irvine HS 1975
Woodbridge HS 1980
Northwood HS 1999
Aliso Niguel HS 1993
Capistrano Valley HS 1977

so it would appear that for "South Orange County" 1973 is a pretty old school. There are 14 High Schools in South Orange County and only 2 are older than El Toro