Favorite 80s albums

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Screw_Michigan

Re: Favorite 80s albums

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Did you just seriously mention Cinderella? Oh yeah, this BCO we're talking about here.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Did you just seriously mention Cinderella? Oh yeah, this BCO we're talking about here.

Poison?

Cinderella?

Well, I'm sure that right about now, S_M is thanking BCO for getting him off the hook for the MGMT "indescretion."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Post by battery chucka' one »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Did you just seriously mention Cinderella? Oh yeah, this is BCO we're talking about here.
FTFY
Last edited by battery chucka' one on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

battery chucka' one wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Did you just seriously mention Cinderella? Oh yeah, this is BCO we're talking about here.
FTFY
Did your mother have any children that lived?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, pointing out a typo should bail you out of this one.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote: Well, I'm sure that right about now, S_M is thanking BCO for getting him off the hook for the MGMT "indescretion."
Nah, Screwed will never get off the hook for that.

He may as well just admit he's gay and wants to toss TVO's salad, the evidence won't be any more incriminating.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:Let's see....here's my list, in no particular order:

Faster Pussycat-s/t
Vain-No Respect
Blue Tears-s/t
Pretty Boy Floyd-Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz
Slade=Take Your Hands Off My Power Supply
Cinderella-Night Songs
Poison-Look What the Cat Dragged In
Motley Crue-Too Fast For Love (as a fan, I'll say that Shout was slightly overrated. 11 cuts. One cover + 2 'fillers'=8 originals, of which, maybe 5 were standouts. God Bless the Children of the Beast was sooooo much better when paired with the deleted cut 'Black Widow'. On its own, it's rather pointless. TFFL smoked Shout in every conceivable way. But, the MTV philes enjoyed it, I guess.)
Gun-Taking On the World
Tracy Chapman-s/t (just good)
Shotgun Messiah-s/t
Tesla-Great Radio Controversy
Lizzy Borden-Menace to Society
That's an OK list if you're a chick. Or just want to look like one.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Dinsdale wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Did you just seriously mention Cinderella? Oh yeah, this BCO we're talking about here.

Poison?

Cinderella?

Let's see....for Night Songs, there are at least two songs (one a hit) which are absolutely original in sound. The entire album has 10 cuts, of which 7 would count as outstanding.

For Look What the Cat Dragged In, you have ten cuts, of which 8-9 would be considered outstanding (in the genre, at least). The album is considered a classic among glam fans. Also, if The Sex Pistols recorded Talk Dirty to Me, it would be hailed by critics worldwide as the greatest punk song ever. C.C.'s guitar is practically surf. The hooks are incredible. Awesome song. Great album.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

BSmack wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:Let's see....here's my list, in no particular order:

Faster Pussycat-s/t
Vain-No Respect
Blue Tears-s/t
Pretty Boy Floyd-Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz
Slade-Take Your Hands Off My Power Supply
Cinderella-Night Songs
Motley Crue-Too Fast For Love (as a fan, I'll say that Shout was slightly overrated. 11 cuts. One cover + 2 'fillers'=8 originals, of which, maybe 5 were standouts. God Bless the Children of the Beast was sooooo much better when paired with the deleted cut 'Black Widow'. On its own, it's rather pointless. TFFL smoked Shout in every conceivable way. But, the MTV philes enjoyed it, I guess.)
Gun-Taking On the World
Tracy Chapman-s/t (just good)
Shotgun Messiah-s/t
Tesla-Great Radio Controversy
Lizzy Borden-Menace to Society
That's an OK list if you're a chick. Or just want to look like one.
We don't judge our music by whether or not Rolling Stone told us we could have the album in our collection. What about you?

By the way, I forgot an album.

Candy-Whatever Happened to Fun
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BCO just used the word "great" to describe...

Poison.

I'll probably post more commentary after I've had sufficient time to fully digest the scope of this.

Maybe not quite Lagos proportions, but possibly the closest we've seen yet.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'll give BCO this much credit. For all his glaring faults, he strikes me as the type of guy who actually attempts to dig a little and seek out his music. As opposed to just living within the Clear Channel vacuum, liking whatever he hears, simply because he knows nothing else. Because he doesn't know any better. Sort of like Wags.

No, I think BCO is a man of research.

Which is what makes all this Cinderella/Poison talk that much more hilarious.

Here's a guy who has probably heard a broad range of music, from good to bad, from technical to dirty garage rock...and he has determined, after hearing all of that, that "bands" like Poison and Cinderella were the cream of the crop.

If that doesn't say everything you need to know about the guy...
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Dinsdale wrote:BCO just used the word "great" to describe...

Poison.

I'll probably post more commentary after I've had sufficient time to fully digest the scope of this.

Maybe not quite Lagos proportions, but possibly the closest we've seen yet.
And why do you say that it's not? Hmmm? Objective reasons, please, son.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'll give BCO this much credit. For all his glaring faults, he strikes me as the type of guy who actually attempts to dig a little and seek out his music. As opposed to just living within the Clear Channel vacuum, liking whatever he hears, simply because he knows nothing else. Because he doesn't know any better. Sort of like Wags.

No, I think BCO is a man of research.

Which is what makes all this Cinderella/Poison talk that much more hilarious.

Here's a guy who has probably heard a broad range of music, from good to bad, from technical to dirty garage rock...and he has determined, after hearing all of that, that "bands" like Poison and Cinderella were the cream of the crop.

If that doesn't say everything you need to know about the guy...
And when's the last time you picked up and enjoyed an album to which either AP, Spin, or Rolling Stone turned their nose up? *the sound of crickets* That's what I thought. Enjoy your 'Clear Channel vacuum', as you put it.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:We don't judge our music by whether or not Rolling Stone told us we could have the album in our collection. What about you?
I've never subscribed to Rolling Stone in my life. In 42 years on this planet I've bought maybe 5 copies of RS, the only remaining copy of which is this one.

You were saying?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
battery chucka' one
Elwood

BSmack wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:We don't judge our music by whether or not Rolling Stone told us we could have the album in our collection. What about you?
I've never subscribed to Rolling Stone in my life. In 42 years on this planet I've bought maybe 5 copies of RS, the only remaining copy of which is this one.

You were saying?
Perhaps you need to understand the difference between speaking figuratively and literally.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:
BSmack wrote:

You were saying?
Perhaps you need to understand the difference between speaking figuratively and literally.
Right now the only thing that matters is that you've literally stepped in a figurative pile of shit.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:As opposed to just living within the Clear Channel vacuum, liking whatever he hears, simply because he knows nothing else. Because he doesn't know any better. Sort of like Wags.
This, coming from the only other fruit loop here who likes MGMT, is quite hilarious. You have no idea the width or depth of my music tastes, Magoo.

We have an alternative station here that I listen to occasionally. Not bad, for the most part. But the other morning on the way to work they que up a new MGMT single titled "kids" or some such.

Holy crap, it sucked both barrels. It was like they tried to cover Pink Floyds "Another Brick in the Wall" with the playground chatter in the background.

What a miserable failure. An apt creative comparison would be you and that "Deciders" effort.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

We're supposed to talking about our favourite 80's albums...why are we fighting?

Exit the warrior
Today's Tom Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the energy you trade
He gets right on to the friction of the day
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Martyred wrote:We're supposed to talking about our favourite 80's albums...why are we fighting?

What are words for, when no one listens anymore?
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Sudden Sam wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote: Faster Pussycat-s/t
Cinderella-Night Songs
Motley Crue-Too Fast For Love
What?! No Britney Fox?!?!

God, I hated that bunch of bands! What was the point, if anyone knows, of all the makeup, hair, and spandex? What kinda women were attacted to guys who tried to look prettier than them?
Sam, I actually hate Britny Fox. One of the worst glam metal bands ever. Their third album was alright, though it was with a new singer. Dizzy was never very good (though Dream On was an okay tune). Bulletboys were also awful, as long as we're bringing up bands I hate. XYZ, ditto. Definitely more bad ones than good. Slaughter? Horrible. Steelheart? Atrocious. Danger Danger? Three good songs. The rest generic.

The key is, I don't care what the bands look like. If the tunes are good, then they're good. Why's it so important to some peeps to determine whether they're good or not based upon their looks? It's just rock and roll.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

btw, I forgot to list Sea Hags-s/t in my list of faves. Excellent cd.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

I'll just throw out a few off the top of my head:

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
AC/DC - Back In Black
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Dinosaur Jr. - Bug
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions...
Fishbone - Truth and Soul
X - Los Angeles
Gun 'N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Husker Du - Zen Arcade
The Replacements - Tim, Please To Meet Me, Let It Be (pick one)
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Thelonius Monster - Stormy Weather
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Pixies - Doolittle
REM - Life's Rich Pageant

and of course Poison's Look What The Cat Dragged In. :lol:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Skid Row - Skid Row
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Fu, I'm going to see Dinosaur Jr. in Baltimore in May. I've been waiting to see these guys for a long time. I've voluntarily given up hearing for two weeks after the show.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Fu, I'm going to see Dinosaur Jr. in Baltimore in May. I've been waiting to see these guys for a long time. I've voluntarily given up hearing for two weeks after the show.
I'd love to see them again with the original lineup. No show announced yet for Houston. They're doing the SXSW in Austin later this month but that'll be impossible to get tickets.

They do have a reputation for being ridiculously loud in concert. That said, I have seen them three or four times and I don't recall it being that bad. I've seen some shows that I'm sure caused permanent hearing damage - shows by The Replacements, Rage Against The Machine and Rollins Band immediately spring to mind and a Bob Mould show in 1990 was so loud that it was akin to torture.

Have fun!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

BSmack wrote: 5. Bruce Springsteen, "Nebraska"- Bruce painted a musical picture of a morally and emotionally bankrupt America that still rings true to this day. His explanation for the Starkweather killings "I guess there's just a meanness in this world" sounds as haunting today as ever. Were there a merciful God, this album would have outsold "Born in the USA" 5 to 1.
rackit. fucking love that album. that's some all the lights out in the house, sit on the couch and only move to flip the record type album.

soonerfan had the right answer. double nickels is #1.
why is my neighborhood on fire
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

agree with rack fu on Nation of Millions and X.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sudden Sam wrote:To me, Eliminator was the end of the "real" ZZ Top and the beginning of the commercial cartoonish version of the band. But...I love Eliminator! So many kickass tunes.
I agree. I Got The Six is a great tune, as is Got Me Under Pressure.

Speaking of ZZ Top, I saw that they have a new live CD out, so I ended up buying it since I had a gift certificate to Best Buy. The production quality isn't that great, but hearing Just Got Paid was $$$$$.
Dreams......Temporary Madness