Yo, Dins

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Re: Yo, Dins

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Well there have been worse Number 1 picks that's for sure...so I would say that given those stats yes he would be worth it...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Oden vs. Durant, Part 2...

One of these two was CLEARLY the better player last night.

Sucks to be you tards...

Since I'm just playing by your rules -- these "who's better" judgements need to be made NOW, based on a few games...

And in your zest to fall into the "what have you done for me LATELY" mentality...

Looks like your snap judgements were wrong, eh?

Oden pretty well dictated the pace at which the game was played (like good big men do).

And the Blazers slashers/wings once again really enjoyed Durant's "defense" (although he doesn't actually play any, save for his best impression of a matador).

Though Dins may never admit it here, he has to be wishing that his 'Zers had taken Durant instead. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that if they had, they might be making a serious run at the Western Conference Title. This year.

Blazer fans and management are more happy with the decision than ever before.

Frankly, while Durant is truly an exceptional example of one, he's still a gifted slasher who can score off the dribble. Here's the catch -- the Blazers have one that's much better... and it ain't even close.

Contend for a tile? This year?

Are you on crack?

So, WW... whty don't you remind me when the last time a team with horrifically shitty defense won the title?

But it's your contention that with another bucket-filling wing player (some of which the Blazers are looking to possibly trade, since they've got a whole bench full of them), the Blazers are suddenly a contender?

Excuse me for a second, while I sit here in complete disbelief that anyone could type that.

OK, I'm better now.

Uhm, since you don't actually follow the NBA, and merely peruse the stat sheet, I'll help you out...

The Blazers, statistically speaking, are one of the most "effecient" offensive teams in the league (although I dislike the efficiency stats and PERs, as they don't ever come close to telling the real story). They're near the top of all the offensive stats categories, and #1 in some.

Filling the bucket isn't a problem. They certainly have one of the most feared offenses in the game.

It's the other end that's the problem. The defense walks the fine line between "poor" and "nonexistant."

So, see if I have this right... in your mind, replacing Brandon Roy, Travis Outlaw (Durant's doppleganger), Rudy Fernandez, Martell (when he finally comes back), or heaven forbid Nick Batum (who actually does play some defense) with Durant, at the expense of not having a very good defensive player in the middle is going to solve the "no defense" problem?

Before I go any further (while laughing my ass off), I just need to verify...

You're really going to stick with that "take"?

Really?

Please say "yes" -- it will be much more fun if you do.

Hey! Remember that time Durant won his team the game because he absolutely locked down the opposing team's best player? How bout the time he locked anyone down to win a game?

Yeah, I don't remember that one, either... because it's never happened.

Go ahead and cite him dropping 31 in the first Blazer/Thunder matchup last week... while ignoring the fact he was one of the guys matching up with Savior, who dropped 32, many of those points at Durant's expense (although I do admire Durant for one thing -- he gets paid to sit in the front row and watch while other stars are making their career highlight reels).

Damn, Whitey -- what you don't know about hoops could fill the Grand Canyon.

Substituting Durant for Oden on Portland's roster would likely knock them right the fuck out of the playoff race, much less from "contending."

Blazers need Durant about as much as your fence needs another hole in it. They already have 4 of him... albeit only one of them better at nifty to-the-hole moves as Durant, who is excellent off the dribble, no doubt... he ain't BRoy, but he's excellent on the wing. I'll trade him straight across for Outlaw -- we'd gain a little scoring from the 3, and they're about equally feeble on D. Heck, I'd trade Outlaw, and even throw in a few dozen of our second round picks (which Portland has about 100 of in the next 2-3 years).

Oden has a talent Durant never will -- the ability to be physically large. And once he learns the NBA game, it will be evident. Bear in mind, that Greggy's minutes per game keeps rising, since he's quickly learning to avoid foul trouble, slowly but surely. And if he stays in the game enough to get meaningful minutes...

He just dropped a double-double on your ass... every. single. time.

While he's still learning a very difficult, thinking man's position -- whwen he does stay on the floor, the numbers are beginning to speak for themselves. If he's on the floor, he's getting numbers... numbers that are steadily rising. While stats don't ever tell the whole story (like how badly opponents absolutely FEAST on Durant), they certainly lead one to believe that Greg is on the verge of making his mark.

BTW -- Oden has more double-doubles this season that Durant, even with missing some games.

BTWBTW -- Oden will probably surpass Durant's career offensive rebounding total by the end of this month. Dude looked like WW when he tried to hoist 185 on the bench press... if his so-far-career-long allergy to doing anything but shooting the ball and gravytraining softball defensive rebounds was happening on the Blazers, dude would be on the trading block... that shit don't fly around here (and shouldn't on any pro team). The D-League is full of guys who can fill the bucket.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote:Bear in mind, that Greggy's minutes per game keeps rising, since he's quickly learning to avoid foul trouble, slowly but surely.
Awesome.

He's quick but yet surely slow.

Your take reminds me of a typing lesson, Dins.

The quick brown Durant jumps over the lazy Oden

I'm sure I missed a consonant or two.

But what's really amusing is how you try to paint Durant as a defensive liability, while foul a minute Oden can't even stay on the court for extended periods.

And who the fuck are you kidding? Nobody watches the NBA for defense. Defense doesn't exist. When somebody has the arrogance to try and stop somebody from scoring... they call a foul.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

People that believe that Dins actually believes what he just typed:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:Defense doesn't exist.

Solid take.

Sin,
80's Celtics
80's Lakers
80's/90's Pistons
90's Bulls
90's/00's Spurs
00's Lakers
2008 Celtics

Actually, I've been talking Oden/Durant with fellow fans...

And every fucking one of them thinks Oden is more valuable.

The #1 reason being "Who cares if you drop 30 a night when you're giving up 35 at the other end."

He truly is one of the bigger liabilities in the game right now... good thing his buddy Jeff Green (who is probably a better player at present) at least tries to pick up his slack.

Green is impressive. Durant's ability to make shots is impressive... although his shot selection and spectator D are not so good.

But WW is killing me over here. Gee, :bigshocker: a guy who essentially says "who cares about defense" thinks Oden/Durant is a "slam dunk."

I don't think you fully realize how funny that is.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Hey IdiotWagon...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... iem-090206

That's what a guy who actually follows the league thinks.

Yeah, that 60% shooting of late sure sucks... as are the open jumpers the wings get when Oden immediately draws a double every time he touches the ball...

And unlike his "counterpart," it doesn't disgust Oden to pass the ball... there is that.

Hmmm... Black Hole Primadonna, or team-oriented low post player... hmmm... that's a tough one.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Dinsdale wrote:

Actually, I've been talking Oden/Durant with fellow fans...

And every fucking one of them thinks Oden is more valuable.
Who would've fuckin' thought that a bunch of Portland homers think that Oden is more valuable than Durant? Would you expect differently? Your mind plays tricks on you when you're grasping to rationalize, quantify and qualify the wrong decision.

I got news for you... everyone outside of Portland disagrees with you dolts. End of story.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Rack Fu wrote:I got news for you... everyone outside of Portland disagrees with you dolts. End of story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LulSsTbflGU
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Not that the NBA Rookie-Sophomore Challenge is any sort of measure of anything as it's nothing more than a pickup game but it was certainly indicative of Durant and Oden's tenure so far: Oden gets a boo-boo on his knee and can't play while Durant scores 46 points.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yup, pretty much.

But leave it to Durant to ballhog in a freaking all-star game. Although all-star style defense fits Durant to a tee.

And In Greg's defense, at least the booboo wasn't of a "too big for his legs" nature l8ike many big man unjuries are. Itwas an incidental knee-to-knee collision (I think it was with Stephen Jackson, IIRC), which can happen to anyone.

At least it was the "good" knee that got whacked. Doesn't appear serious at this point, and at least the timing for it is best-case scenario.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.