2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Springsteen's half time set list- call it

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Tough to predict but here is what I think it will be:

1. Candy's Room
2. Working On a Dream
3. Prove It All Night
4. Born To Run

Won't have time for more than four tunes.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Springsteen's half time set list- call it

Post by BSmack »

Come on, he's got to do his "9-11" song.

Here's the very predictable NFL approved corporate rock sellout set list.

Dancin in the Dark
The Rising
Born to Run
Thunder Road

Though you might see Born in the USA in place of any one of the songs not titled "The Rising".
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Why would any asshole even try to predict?

You'll watch it, right along with the 67 $3 million dollar 30 second commercials, and you'll like it.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

He'll intro some song by talking about migrant garment workers being evicted from somewhere and then explain how Barack Obama just might be the guy to "turn this whole crazy mess around".

Then he'll hop in his private jet named "This Machine Leverages Stock Options With Fascists" and fly off to somewhere so exclusive, you people would be pepper sprayed for even pondering it. Because, after all, he's just "a po' boy with this here ol' geee-tar".

:meds:
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote:Come on, he's got to do his "9-11" song.

Here's the very predictable NFL approved corporate rock sellout set list.

Dancin in the Dark
The Rising
Born to Run
Thunder Road

Though you might see Born in the USA in place of any one of the songs not titled "The Rising".
Bingo. That's exactly what I was going post. Except for Glory Days in place of Thunder Road.

What I want to hear him play:

Badlands
Spirit in the Night
The Promised Land
Growin' Up
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:Why would any asshole even try to predict?

You'll watch it, right along with the 67 $3 million dollar 30 second commercials, and you'll like it.
This is why you the biggest dipshit in interwebs history. Go fuck yourself, tard.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bruce puts more thought and ingenuity into 30 seconds of a song compared to a lifetime of work from AC/DC.

"Oh, but they rock hard..." says Sudden Tard.

Dumbfuck.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:Most over-rated goober
Watch it.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Martyred wrote:He'll intro some song by talking about migrant garment workers being evicted from somewhere and then explain how Barack Obama just might be the guy to "turn this whole crazy mess around".

Then he'll hop in his private jet named "This Machine Leverages Stock Options With Fascists" and fly off to somewhere so exclusive, you people would be pepper sprayed for even pondering it. Because, after all, he's just "a po' boy with this here ol' geee-tar".

:meds:
Niiiiice Woodie Guthrie reference.

BTW: Did anybody catch the concert at the Lincoln Memorial? Damn Pete Seeger is one old sonofabitch. Rack the guy for having the finger dexterity at the age of 89 to play a banjo in sub freezing weather.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

My guess:

Workin on a Dream
Glory Days
The Rising
Born to Run
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I can't fucking stand springsteen...I can only hope they throw a baseball at him if he sings Glory Days...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

I'm in the BSmack's setlist group. sounds about right to me.

though, i'll go with a sprinkle of Elvis in Vegas style "medley" action.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Someone let me know when the SB halftime isn't a display of the most overrated, horribly overhyed crap that could possibly come out of a person with questionable musical talent's mouth, and I might give a fuck.

They seem to like all the self-annointed "gods" who aren't very good. Bono? Sting? Springsteen?

POS's that think because a record A&R guy decided they were marketable, suddenly have the moral imperitive to tell everyone else on earth what they're doing wrong, and what they should do with their money?

I haven't seen more than a few seconds of a SB halftime in years, although I did have the misfortune of catching the end of U2's deplorably tasteless 2002 bit. I was so fucking offended, both by the horribly disrespectful 9/11 "tribute" and the shitty music, I vowed to make sure I never caught more than a few seconds of another, and a few seconds is still too long.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

^^^^
Cynic
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Screw_Michigan wrote: What I want to hear him play:

Badlands
Spirit in the Night
The Promised Land
Growin' Up
At least you picked 1 right, which raises your average of being right about anything regarding music to a whopping .033.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Which one did I get right then, you dripping gash? Oh wait...just go fuck yourself.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

:lol:

Badlands

and if asked to pick 3 more, I wouldn't mind hearing:

Born in the USA
Brilliant Disguise
Rosalita

But since he IS the fucking Boss, I reckon he can play whatever the fuck he wants to play. Anybody who doesn't like it can eat shit and die.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Dinsdale wrote:
They seem to like all the self-annointed "gods" who aren't very good. Bono? Sting? Springsteen?
I fully expected Prince to shit the bed.

That motherfucker ripped the joint up.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'll hesitantly give you props, Whitey. Rosalita just missed the cut for me, and I think it would be hilarious for him to break out Born in the USA in the "NFL approved, corporate rock sell-out setlist" as it was when Reagan was using it on his campaign in 84. Except that you probably thought at the time he was using it because it was a patriotic song. Dumbfuck.

Lost in the Flood would be epic. And Cover Me would be pretty bad ass.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Screw_Michigan wrote:Except that you probably thought at the time he was using it because it was a patriotic song.
The implied patriotism wasn't something that Springsteen refuted back then. It wasn't 'till many years later, when hating America became cool, that he re-wrote the backstory on "Born in the USA" to make it all "ironic"...

...because he's a cunt.
Why don’t you just STFU.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Cover Me
Yep.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Martyred wrote:
The implied patriotism wasn't something that Springsteen refuted back then. It wasn't 'till many years later, when hating America became cool, that he re-wrote the backstory on "Born in the USA" to make it all "ironic"...
I don't really care about any musicians political beliefs or whatever. I judge them on the quality of the music.

Hell, I can even get with some Neil Young now and then, and a bigger political songwriter/whore has never existed.

daddy's rifle in my hand felt reassuring. He told me red means run son, numbers add up to nuthin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=114fquphbMo
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Martyred wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Except that you probably thought at the time he was using it because it was a patriotic song.

...because he's a cunt.
Sorry Marty, but I was around when Born in the USA was tearing up the charts. And you're dead wrong on that one.

Springsteen made it patently clear to anyone who would listen what Born in the USA was really about. I was there. I read the print interviews in the rock magazines of the time. I specifically recall a piece in Rolling Stone that very directly addressed the subject. Not that anyone with the brains to listen needed an explanation. But for your benefit, here it is.
Kurt Loder- Ironic, then, that today you're the toast of the political right, with conservative columnist George Will lauding your recent Washington D.C. concert and President Reagan invoking your name while campaigning in your home state, New Jersey.

Bruce Springsteen- I think what's happening now is people want to forget. There was Vietnam, there was Watergate, there was Iran — we were beaten, we were hustled, and then we were humiliated. And I think people got a need to feel good about the country they live in. But what's happening, I think, is that need — which is a good thing — is getting' manipulated and exploited. And you see the Reagan reelection ads on TV — you know: "It's morning in America." And you say, well, it's not morning in Pittsburgh. It's not morning about 125th Street in New York. It's midnight, and, like, there's a bad moon risin'. And that's why when Reagan mentioned my name in New Jersey, I felt it was another manipulation, and I had to disassociate myself from the president's kind words.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/5933449

You may now feel free to piss up a rope.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Rack B_ilk
Killian

Post by Killian »

Martyred wrote:

...because he's a cunt.
Facts seem to be your enemy.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

I stand by my claim.

"Bruce Springsteen- I think what's happening now is people want to forget. There was Vietnam, there was Watergate, there was Iran — we were beaten, we were hustled, and then we were humiliated. And I think people got a need to feel good about the country they live in. But what's happening, I think, is that need — which is a good thing — is getting' manipulated and exploited. And you see the Reagan reelection ads on TV — you know: "It's morning in America." And you say, well, it's not morning in Pittsburgh. It's not morning about 125th Street in New York. It's midnight, and, like, there's a bad moon risin'. And that's why when Reagan mentioned my name in New Jersey, I felt it was another manipulation, and I had to disassociate myself from the president's kind words."

^^^^^^^^^^^
Fuck this.

Listen to the lyrics. He's saying, "we've had good times and bad, but at the end of the day, I'm proud to be an American! Derrrrr...."

Shut the fuck up, idiots. It's as plain as the nose on your faces. You are just blinded by your nationalist myopia.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Go fuck yourself, cunt. Stick to Triumph records.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Read the lyrics Marty. The song starts with...
Born down in a dead mans town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog thats been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up
And ends with...
Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go
Then of course you have the over produced wall of sound fadeout...
Born in the u.s.a., I was born in the u.s.a.
Born in the u.s.a., Im a long gone daddy in the u.s.a.
Born in the u.s.a., born in the u.s.a.
Born in the u.s.a., Im a cool rocking daddy in the u.s.a.
Where are the jingoistic Jim Craig draped in the American flag after beating the Russians lyrics? Please point them out.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

BSmack wrote: Where are the jingoistic Jim Craig draped in the American flag after beating the Russians lyrics?
The chorus trumps all.

If you knew anything about musicology, you'd understand how the composition of certain notes and beats combine to subconsciously extract desired feeling. Wagner.

Again, Springsteen ends with the high cultural signifier of nationalism. In a strict Marxist analysis, this is known as fetishism.

At best, Springsteen was burning the candle at both ends, which if I was generous, I could elevate him to the status of "coward".
Why don’t you just STFU.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Wait, first it was this:
Martyred wrote: The implied patriotism wasn't something that Springsteen refuted back then. It wasn't 'till many years later, when hating America became cool, that he re-wrote the backstory on "Born in the USA" to make it all "ironic"...

...because he's a cunt.
Then this:
Martyred wrote:The chorus trumps all.

If you knew anything about musicology, you'd understand how the composition of certain notes and beats combine to subconsciously extract desired feeling. Wagner.

Again, Springsteen ends with the high cultural signifier of nationalism. In a strict Marxist analysis, this is known as fetishism.

At best, Springsteen was burning the candle at both ends, which if I was generous, I could elevate him to the status of "coward".
So which one was it? You've been called out and proved wrong, so now which way are you going to spin it?

Douche.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Marty,

There are three reasons I cannot accept your premise.

1. The body of work Springsteen had compiled to date made his position regarding the condition of both the physical and emotional state of the "American Dream" absolutely crystal clear. Christ, listen to Darkness on the Edge of Town or Born to Run sometime.

2. The other songs on the album "Born in the USA" featured equally dark themes.

3. When I first heard "Born in the USA", I immediately recognized it for what it was. That is, as a scathing indictment of the "powers that be" for the death of American innocence. That theme is not negated just because people could dance to it (sort of), or because of a chorus that was deliberately misinterpreted by the reactionaries of the time.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Springsteen = pure post-Nixon escapist fantasy

"The world's a hard place, baby...lost my job at the steel mill...but you 'n me can hop on my bike and ride off to some fairy tale utopia..."

Americans would rather embrace cartoonish notions of rebellion, replete with slogans and manufactured imagery than actually march on the Bastille.

Commodification of culture. Keepin' the masses down.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Martyred wrote: If you knew anything about musicology, you'd understand how the composition of certain notes and beats combine to subconsciously extract desired feeling. Wagner.

Wagner intended to put everyone to sleep?

Always reminds me of an old line I heard somewhere --

"Wagner's music is much better than it sounds."

And I'll send some props SM's way for dropping a Triumph bomb.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian

Post by Killian »

Martyred wrote:Springsteen = pure post-Nixon escapist fantasy

"The world's a hard place, baby...lost my job at the steel mill...but you 'n me can hop on my bike and ride off to some fairy tale utopia..."

Americans would rather embrace cartoonish notions of rebellion, replete with slogans and manufactured imagery than actually march on the Bastille.

Commodification of culture. Keepin' the masses down.
So now he's not hating the USA, and it's not all about the chorus, it's about a "fairy tale utopia" that his characters are escaping to?

Now I see it. You hate him because he sings about his characters escaping their depressing surroundings by doing something different or changing their surroundings or even who they are. Kind of like trying to sound smart on a random message board.

I have no problems with people who don't like the way Springsteen sounds, or don't agree with his beliefs. I can't stand Dylan, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin and other famous acts. But to go off on the tangent you're trying to spin is just fucking stupid.

Anybody can make bubble gum crap that appeals to the masses. The people who stand the test of time write songs that are meaningful to many different people on different levels.

Even if you managed to round up your arguments and throw them in one coherent post, you'd still be wrong.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Yankees are talking about real music and ingenuity, Sam. Don't you have a meth lab to attend to or a banjo to play? Or perhaps a new pair of overalls patterned like Bear's hat to go buy?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Killian, save the logic and rational postings for another forum. You're making too much sense.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote:
When I first heard "Born in the USA", I immediately recognized it for what it was. That is, as a scathing indictment of the "powers that be"....
No shit.

Kinda' hard to misinterpret

"sent me off to a foreign land
to go and kill the yellow man"
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

War Wagon wrote:
BSmack wrote:
When I first heard "Born in the USA", I immediately recognized it for what it was. That is, as a scathing indictment of the "powers that be"....
No shit.

Kinda' hard to misinterpret

"sent me off to a foreign land
to go and kill the yellow man"
This difference between, say, Leonard Cohen, John Lennon or Neil Young and a fucking Brill Building hack like Springsteen is that I was never convinced anything he said was authentic. That's the only criteria I have for good music. Prepare an honest emotion, whatever it may be, set it to music and convince me of it.

If you want overly sentimental schlock...okay...Springsteen is the man...
Why don’t you just STFU.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Martyred wrote:This difference between, say, Leonard Cohen, John Lennon or Neil Young and a fucking Brill Building hack like Springsteen is that I was never convinced anything he said was authentic. That's the only criteria I have for good music. Prepare an honest emotion, whatever it may be, set it to music and convince me of it.

If you want overly sentimental schlock...okay...Springsteen is the man...
So your only exposure to Springsteen is his most commercially successful album, Born in the USA? Noted. That explains a lot of your opinions about Springsteen. Go listen to "Greetings from Asbury Park" or "The Wild, the Innocent, the E Stree Shuffle" and get back to me. If you can listen to "Rosilita", "Lost in the Flood", "Does this Bus Stop at 82nd Street?" and not feel the honest emotion, then you are just blinded by your hatred for Springsteen. Better yet, listen to "Thunder Road" or "The River", especially the latter. There are some real songs on "USA", but he tried to cater to the bubble gum crowd with some as well.

But we both know that after you read this, you will do a frantic search for most of the songs I mentioned because you have never heard of them. You will listen to 30 second clips on iTunes or Amazon.com and then form your opinion.

I can see your type from a mile away. You're the guy that busted out an essay question or term paper based on the movie version of a book you were supposed to read. No one would have known except you focused on Roy Hobbs hitting the final homerun and the sparks falling down on his back and being reunited with his girl and their son.

Then you wonder why you got an F and everyone laughed at you.
DamnTheCowboys
Human Garbage Disposal

Post by DamnTheCowboys »

Killian wrote: I can see your type from a mile away. You're the guy that busted out an essay question or term paper based on the movie version of a book you were supposed to read. No one would have known except you focused on Roy Hobbs hitting the final homerun and the sparks falling down on his back and being reunited with his girl and their son.

Then you wonder why you got an F and everyone laughed at you.

:lol: :lol:

back on topic:

"My Love Will Not Let You Down"
"Promised Land"
"Rosalita"
"Born To Run"