Mr. Obama is a man of the people

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

upstart
Elwood

Mr. Obama is a man of the people

Post by upstart »

Mr.Obama it seems is not sending his kids to the D.C. public schools ?

Damn,I thought he worked hard to make the public schools kool for

"the people".

First day at Sidwell Friends School for Sasha and Malia Obama
Tom Baldwin in Washington

Sasha and Malia Obama will arrive at their new school today, protected from physical attack by the Secret Service but still being thrust into the global glare accorded to celebrities.

The girls — aged 7 and 10 — who are already being spoken about as role models for a generation of African-American children, will be educated on separate campuses at the private Sidwell Friends School.

Chelsea Clinton, the last presidential daughter to attend the Quaker school, which has long been a haven for the offspring of the Washington elite, is regarded as having emerged as a level-headed adult.

Security around the children of Barack Obama, however, is expected to be tighter because of the terror attacks on the US in 2001.

more.....
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5447282.ece

--------------------------------

Because of the terror attacks of 2001....? I thought Bush did that,and since

he is leaving office,Mr.Obama should not worry.

Mr. Obama,make the D.C. schools safe so your kids can walk the talk you

speak about.

YES WE CAN !!!

CHANGE !!!!

The ****ing hypocricy is stunning with these people.
Three time Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots
upstart
Elwood

Re: Mr. Obama is a man of the people

Post by upstart »

The boy wants to spend $1,000,000,000,000 to pull off his FDR dream.

Why not start with making the D.C. schools safe for all kids ?

I'd be for that.

Yes we can !!
upstart
Elwood

Post by upstart »

The boy wants to spend $1,000,000,000,000 to get America going.I'd think the first step would make the schools safe for his kids and the other's

that attend our DCs schools.He is for the people after all ?

Yes We Can !!!
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

I dare say that even if he wasn't president his kids would still be going to private schools
how many lawyers or politicians do you know,send their offspring to public school :?
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Go drink a Draino-smoothie, Jack, you fucking idiot.
upstart
Elwood

Post by upstart »

BTW,R-Jack,have the demo's from the most corrupt political machine in the country kept that uppite nigg out of the senate ?

Yes we can !!!!!
upstart
Elwood

Post by upstart »

missjo wrote:I dare say that even if he wasn't president his kids would still be going to private schools
how many lawyers or politicians do you know,send their offspring to public school :?
I guess the one's that campain on the issue of fairness,and tell the sheep his kids are in the same boat,and laugh at you.

I'm sorry he was a bullshiter....well,we all knew that.

"Make sure you inflate your tires you typical white person"~MR.Barry Soetoro
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

upstart wrote:I guess the one's that campain on the issue of fairness,and tell the sheep his kids are in the same boat,and laugh at you.
English, motherfucker ...
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

RadioFan wrote:
upstart wrote:I guess the one's that campain on the issue of fairness,and tell the sheep his kids are in the same boat,and laugh at you.
Nope, not English. I think it was Aramaic.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Rack Fu wrote:
RadioFan wrote:
Nope, not English. I think it was Aramaic.
If you hold that post up to a mirror, in a candle lit room, and recite it backwards...spirits will appear.

It's like Smack Ouija.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

That does it. Divert some Yes We Can funds to ESL, pronto.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I see where PSU is going with this, but where his kids go to school is a non-issue for me. I certainly think a private school is going to make protection of them easier.

As for fixing schools and education in this country Obama is going to have a very hard time. He will have to cross two large unions. Two which helped him obtain the office he is about to enter.

AFT wants no part of upgrading education because to do so many of their members would be out of jobs. The biggest issue with schools today is teachers with tenure. Tenure is handed out instead of earned. Most poor teachers who haven't committed a criminal act are damn near impossible to fire.

Until someone will take on these teacher's unions nothing will change.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Left Seater wrote:As for fixing schools and education in this country Obama is going to have a very hard time.

I should think so.

Sin,
The Constitution of the United States of America, which has no provision for federal involvement in education at any level
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Left Seater wrote:I

AFT wants no part of upgrading education because to do so many of their members would be out of jobs. The biggest issue with schools today is teachers with tenure. Tenure is handed out instead of earned. Most poor teachers who haven't committed a criminal act are damn near impossible to fire.
While that's all true, its really a moot point, since there aren't enough good teachers to replace them with anyway, if you did fire them.

Its unlikely to ever change because there simply isn't any real good money in teaching. Our best and brightest are never going to choose teaching in any large numbers because they don't want to be poor. About the only perk is getting your summers off...if you can afford to take your summer's off.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

JayDuck wrote:Our best and brightest are never going to choose teaching in any large numbers because they don't want to be poor.
While I understand your "best and brightest" comment, teachers don't exactly start out poor. A first-year middle school teacher in Goshen, Indiana makes $42k off the bat, which is enough for a good-sized 1BR apt, a new car, and savings in the bank. They also get COL increases and all that other bullshit. I wouldn't accept $42k to live in a shithole like Goshen (or anywhere in NO IN for that matter, again), but $42k goes a long way in NO IN for a 24 year old.
Last edited by Screw_Michigan on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

My mention of ESL was facetiously intended for upstart, for whom English indeed appears to be a second language.

And despite the fact that my wife is a teacher, I am not overly on the side of labor in this case. My kids attend a private school - that is, they attend the private school where my wife for free. This is a significant job benefit for us, because the tuition would be prohibitive for us otherwise. I'll admit it, I was a lot more enthusiastic about the idea of public school before my kids experienced it. They are currently benefiting from an immersive educational experience at the smaller private school that they would never encounter at the public school they were attending.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that private schools pay very low salaries. The only reason they have been able to retain my wife is because they offer that generous tuition remission. I'm sure the moment they are through the 8th grade, she'll be looking around.

At any rate, I certainly have no illusions about The One magically "fixing" education - it's not possible.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Teachers make enough money nowadays that it’s an attractive profession. I think we should go back to paying them minimum wage like the old days. That way, the only people that go into teaching are the really, really dedicated ones.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
JayDuck wrote:Our best and brightest are never going to choose teaching in any large numbers because they don't want to be poor.
While I understand your "best and brightest" comment, teachers don't exactly start out poor. A first-year middle school teacher in Goshen, Indiana makes $42k off the bat, which is enough for a good-sized 1BR apt, a new car, and savings in the bank. They also get COI increases and all that other bullshit. I wouldn't accept $42k to live in a shithole like Goshen (or anywhere in NO IN for that matter, again), but $42k goes a long-way in NO IN for a 24 year old.
They start out, and end up, poor compared to desireable professions however. Once again, you look at the competetion that (in the past) has made American companies and products successful and its from people competing for the best rewards.

Teachers might make enough money to be comfortable in small towns, but they make shit (compared to cost of living) if you live in population centers where most of our population is concentrated. 42K might be wonderfull in Goshen Indiana (wherever the fuck that is), but where I live in LA I'd be dressing my daughter in a burlap sack to make ends meet at that salary. And even if they can make a fairly comfortable living, they still watch their friends who are Engineers, IT pros, or in sales wipe their assess with benjamins compared to what they make. Summer's off aren't bad, but during the school year, its not just a 40 hour a week job, either.

Its not something people strive to be and, the bottom line is, if you don't strive to do it you aren't going to be anything near the best at it.

America is beginning to see the same problem with our doctors. Parents are no longer pushing kids to be doctors, and they are no longer choosing it. The hours are too long, school too expensive and, especially with all the healthcare fuck ups, they are beginning to get paid shit (at least compared to what they thought they would make).

Its all about compensation. As it always is. If you could make $250,000 a year flipping burgers at McDonald's, you'd get the tastiest fucking burgers around, the drivethru people would speak perfect english and never screw up your order. Instead my last fast food burger was luke warm, at best, the fries were oversalted to the point that my dog would have thrown up and the bitch taking my order wouldn't have been able to speak English properly even if she didn't have a six inch fucking tongue ring.

Compensation for being a teacher isn't as bad as for flipping burgers. But, its mediocre, at best. So why should we expect anything but mediocre teachers?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

JayDuck wrote:Goshen Indiana (wherever the fuck that is)

Fuck, the Beaverton School District must have broken into Ft. Knox, because my elementary education left me with enough mad-geography skeelz to conclude that Goshen, Indiana is located somewhere in Indiana.

They also taught me that the name of a city and state are always separated by a comma.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:
Left Seater wrote:As for fixing schools and education in this country Obama is going to have a very hard time.

I should think so.

Sin,
The Constitution of the United States of America, which has no provision for federal involvement in education at any level
You must be mistaken on this one item.

Sin,

The No Child left Behind Act and its Impact on teaching to the test while ignoring all other aspects of education.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

JayDuck wrote:Compensation for being a teacher isn't as bad as for flipping burgers. But, its mediocre, at best. So why should we expect anything but mediocre teachers?
Fuck you Mr. Duck...I don't think 90K plus a year for a tenured teacher, then I gravy trained my ass kissing skills into a " Vice Principle" or " Counselor" position at an 1800 student high school, with over 11 of the fore mentioned positions, is mediocre.

I kind of like retiring at 108% ( non taxable) of my last salary, getting 7 years of post retirement health benefits, and retiring at 55.

But now that I think about it..that is mediocre and I deserve more. I showed up when required, I did not fuck a 16 year old student, and I only got 2 drunk driving tickets while I was working.

Sin,

Career teacher who will suck the system for retirement until I die in another 30 or so years.
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Derron wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

I should think so.

Sin,
You must be mistaken on this one item.

Sin,

The No Child left Behind Act and its Impact on teaching to the test while ignoring all other aspects of education.

Yeah, that's a real monument to basic federal law, eh?

Almost time to start shooting politicians for traitorism.

Unless they can recite the Constitutional amendment that grants the Fed the right to regulate education in any way, shape, or form... since I can tell you word for word which Amendment forbids it... it's kinda in the BoR.

But hey, we should probably justkeep reelecting politicians that have shown a flagrant disdain for American Law and the Rights of the American People... which are clearly laid out on paper, yet generally ignored.

I still maintain that treason/corruption should be punished with public executions. Only then will politicians/elected officials take their Oath seriously. No one asked them to interperet the Constitution... only to uphold it.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Goober McTuber wrote:Teachers make enough money nowadays that it’s an attractive profession. I think we should go back to paying them minimum wage like the old days. That way, the only people that go into teaching are the really, really dedicated ones.
Sure - find a rare and valuable asset - a good educator - then starve it to death. Nice.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

PSUFAN wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Teachers make enough money nowadays that it’s an attractive profession. I think we should go back to paying them minimum wage like the old days. That way, the only people that go into teaching are the really, really dedicated ones.
Sure - find a rare and valuable asset - a good educator - then starve it to death. Nice.
Your sense of humor shuts down at 10:00 PM EST?
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:Your sense of humor shuts down at 10:00 PM EST?
More like F-. Go fuck yourself.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Your sense of humor shuts down at 10:00 PM EST?
More like F-. Go fuck yourself.
Heel, little puppy.

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I don't see anything wrong or any hypocrisy with the Obama's sending their kids to private school. We should have choice. And if you can't afford choice you scratch and claw and supplement your kids' education the best way you can. You get involved in your child's school. You communicate with your child's teacher and school. You can work around a few bad teachers if you run into them. That isn't the problem. The problem is class size and class management. As stated in this thread, teachers are pretty well compensated for what they do. Who gets that kind of retirement? A teaching degree is pretty easy to obtain. If you want to make more money and work a whole lot more weeks a year, go to school and get a more difficult degree in something else.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mace wrote: Are you seriously saying that a teacher in Oregon makes $90K a year and retires at 55 with 108% of their salary?
A good friend is a teacher in Oregon, although his situation is a little different -- he teaches teenaged criminal thugs (which I can onlky assume pays the same, since it's for the same service district), and I believe he's still working on his degree (Bush gave him a certain time frame to get a BS)...

I don't know exactly what he makes for a salary, but I do know he has to scape together his rent every month.

I kinda doubt he'd be barely making rent if he was pulling $90K... just a guess.

So, there's my trivial anecdotal evidence to bring to the table, for the little it's worth.

The anti-fed/Constitutionalist view warms my :heart:-btw.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

I was just the best man at a wedding a couple weeks ago for an Oregon teacher who married another Oregon teacher. And while they are still early in their teaching career's, they don't make 90K combined.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

JD, has he confided in you exactly what his combined net worth is? If not, save the speculation.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Screw_Michigan wrote:JD, has he confided in you exactly what his combined net worth is? If not, save the speculation.
Yes. No speculation at all. As I said, I was the best man at his wedding and he has been my best friend for over 20 years, since we were 12 years old. In fact when he finished up some additional school he needed for his particular teaching program, he showed me a chart that showed exactly what his salary would be, starting in the 2008 school year and by how much it would increase each year.

We have less secrets between each other than we do between our wives.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

JayDuck wrote: In fact when he finished up some additional school he needed for his particular teaching program, he showed me a chart that showed exactly what his salary would be, starting in the 2008 school year and by how much it would increase each year.

Exactly my point. Dude already knows the raises he will get for the rest of his career. Why put any work into it at all? Dude needs only show up and not commit some sort of felony and he is golden. Sure he likely won't have multiple houses and a yacht when he retires, but he will not have the work load or stress level most have either.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sure, teaching at PS 103 in Manhattan isn't going to get you that spacious 1BR condo on Park Ave nor is teaching in DCPS going to get you a tight Dupont pad, but the assertion that teaching starts you broke and leaves you broke is ridiculous. Now, if teachers were starting out at $23k, you'd have a point. But that's not the case at all.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Left Seater wrote: Exactly my point. Dude already knows the raises he will get for the rest of his career. Why put any work into it at all? Dude needs only show up and not commit some sort of felony and he is golden. Sure he likely won't have multiple houses and a yacht when he retires, but he will not have the work load or stress level most have either.
I don't know, there are quite a few fairly low stress, fairly low work load jobs that pay quite a bit of money these days. Fuck, a heck of a lot of the people that you find posting 24/fucking/7 on message boards all day long are getting paid a pretty penny more than teachers do, do sit on their asses and surf the web most of the time, and put out the occasional techno-fire in the office.

I know very wealthy salesmen that live off a few big sales a year that are mostly recurring at this point, as well.

Again, there is little incensitve to be a teacher other than following a path of least resistance. There are, of course, exceptions to this and, actually my friend is one of them. He's been working with disabled kids since we were in high school and specifically went into it for special ed. But, for the most part, why teach if you can do something else? The idea that its all a big gravy train is laughable.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I retired from teaching HS Biology (where is Lab Rat ??) in 1994 with 32 years of credited service. I was making close to $55K a year, also teaching summer school. I retired and have been drawing around $25 a year from the NY State Teacher's Retirement System. I took what is called a "Pop-Up" option where I am not taking the full % of my retirement and if I die before MrsO--she will get the same amount for the rest of her life. I looked into a life insurance plan and the pop-up was my best option. If per chance MrsO dies before I do, I will "pop-up to the maximum.
I am now also drawing SS payments which I opted for at age 62 (I'm 69 now). I am currently also working as the science lab technician at Edison State College which pays me another $25K a year.
As far as health insurance-- I pay about $230 a month for the Blue Cross/Blue Shield at my old school plan as "back up" insurance for both of us and we're also on the Medicaid "dole" at about $100 a month out of our SSI payments.
Contrast that with when we were first married. I made $4,500 a year on my first teaching job. I had no health insurance after changing jobs and our oldest son was paid for "out of pocket". Want to guess the hospital bill ?? Around $500 for a three day stay including "greens fees" (delivery room) ! The OB/GYN came in around $250 ! I was able to pay it off easliy.
Try doing that today even on inflated income !
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Mace wrote:
Derron wrote:
JayDuck wrote:Compensation for being a teacher isn't as bad as for flipping burgers. But, its mediocre, at best. So why should we expect anything but mediocre teachers?
Fuck you Mr. Duck...I don't think 90K plus a year for a tenured teacher, then I gravy trained my ass kissing skills into a " Vice Principle" or " Counselor" position at an 1800 student high school, with over 11 of the fore mentioned positions, is mediocre.

I kind of like retiring at 108% ( non taxable) of my last salary, getting 7 years of post retirement health benefits, and retiring at 55.

But now that I think about it..that is mediocre and I deserve more. I showed up when required, I did not fuck a 16 year old student, and I only got 2 drunk driving tickets while I was working.

Sin,

Career teacher who will suck the system for retirement until I die in another 30 or so years.
Are you seriously saying that a teacher in Oregon makes $90K a year and retires at 55 with 108% of their salary?

Agree on the NCLB Act and that the Fed has no business regulating schools, but I think that ship has already sailed.

And what parent wanting the best for their kid wouldn't send the child to a private school, as opposed to a public school in DC...assuming they have the means to do it?
The teacher (s) taught for a few years, and then by some how ass kissing and general good luck, became an administrator.

You know those ones who can't coach, can't teach, but can be an administrator ?

So they go from teacher to " Vice Principle" or other title and do end up making 90K per year...not saying a teacher does, but an upper end teacher ( 6 plus years on the job....plus 3% yearly COLA) with a BS is making close to 58 per year in some districts.

Now the Oregon retirement system was fucking awesome if you were a public leach..up until it started falling apart a few years ago. The OL was a health care executive at a large local state hospital..and rode some fucking 22% gains in her retirement account...which was guaranfuckingteed to never make less than 8%, until they changed that law. And she NEVER put a dime of her own money into it. They cut that off about 3 years ago, and the money started going into funds that were most closely tied to market, but the original portion was still in that guanfuckingteed 8% return. And that 8% was good for 12k in interest each year, no matter the market.

Some administrator dude down the road and one of my former teachers both retired when the state took away the 8% guarantee, and based their retirement benefits on the last 5 years of their salary. So both bailed. Administrator dude shows me his benefit check ( non taxable) compared to his last pay check, and wonders WTF, but don't question it.

Former teacher says it was a hard decision, but I had to take a raise when I retired. :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds:

Administrator dude is 58, been retired for 3 years now. Former teachers/admin guy has been retired 10 years, is about 66 and having the time of his life.

So if 2 teachers hit the top of the pay scale with BS degrees at about 53K or so...that's 106 per year plus yearly COLA's, with full family health care, fully funded retirement with no contribution for you personally, and you live wisely and in your means..then that's a pretty good gig. Show up every day, don't fuck under age students, and show up for your yearly review, and you got a pretty good paying..low stress life style.

And save me the cunt bleeding crap about how much time they spend, how they have to spend their own money,,bah,blah,blah....its all a choice they make.
Derron