So, our local library was having a sale.

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

battery chucka' one
Elwood

So, our local library was having a sale.

Post by battery chucka' one »

They do this every year about this time in order to raise some funds. You buy a ticket ($2) and then browse through an array of quality books for sale. I dropped $20 and snagged the following 11 books (I bartered for #11).

Daniel Defoe-Robinson Crusoe
Emily Bronte-Wuthering Heights
Stephen Crane-The Red Badge of Courage
Henry James-The Turn of the Screw and other short novels
John Steinbeck-The Grapes of Wrath
Voltaire-Candide
William Faulkner-The Sound and the Fury
Sinclair Lewis-Elmer Gantry
Charles Dickens-David Copperfield
Nathaniel Hawthorne-The House of the Seven Gables
Fyodor Dostoevsky-Notes from Underground

Yesterday, I'd made a list of books I was going to target. Of those, I grabbed Wuthering Heights and The Sound and the Fury. Also wanted something by Lewis. Was aiming for Babbet but got Elmer Gantry. Didn't nail everything I was aiming for but am extremely pleased with my haul. Would have grabbed more, but the outer limits of my funds was $20. Left several great pieces on the table. Ultimately, I'm well stocked with reading material for the winter.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: So, our local library was having a sale.

Post by PSUFAN »

If I were you, I'd go in this order:

The Red Badge of Courage
Candide
Notes from Underground
The Grapes of Wrath
David Copperfield

Steven Crane is one of my favorite writers. If you enjoy that, read the short story The Open Boat.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Check out the Librivox page for The Red Badge of Courage:
http://librivox.org/the-red-badge-of-co ... hen-crane/
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Shall take that all under advisement, PSU. However, these books are currently backed up behind at least two others (Heat of the Night and Rise of Silas Lapham), maybe more. Will probably do the Crane book once those are done. If I like that, will check out The Open Boat. Thanks for the comments.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

battery chucka' one wrote:Would have grabbed more, but the outer limits of my funds was $20. Left several great pieces on the table.

Wow. Just, wow.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:Would have grabbed more, but the outer limits of my funds was $20. Left several great pieces on the table.

Wow. Just, wow.
I don't know why you're so surprised. I seriously doubt his caretakers give him much walking around money.
I think somebody needs to start a BCO literacy fund. If we could collect one Benjamin we could keep him busy for a couple of years minimum.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

mvscal wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Wow. Just, wow.
I don't know why you're so surprised. I seriously doubt his caretakers give him much walking around money.
lol You are a funny and clever girl. No, actually my wife and I both use a budget system. We each have identical discretionary funds per month. It's a Dave Ramsey model. $100 a piece. I wanted to spend $20 from it and did so. Could have spent more, but chose not to.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

battery chucka' one wrote:No, actually my wife and I both use a budget system. We each have identical discretionary funds per month.
Do you keep your identical discretionary funds in identical purses, Nancy?
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Goober McTuber wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:No, actually my wife and I both use a budget system. We each have identical discretionary funds per month.
Do you keep your identical discretionary funds in identical purses, Nancy?
lol You're a very clever young lad, too. No, we actually have an incredibly happy, healthy, and debt-free marriage that is a testament to God. Discretionary funds are kept in the bank. I would insult you in return but really don't feel like it. May God truly bless your day.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.