Dins, did you get schooled at the local 24?

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Dins, did you get schooled at the local 24?

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I really can't blame the old man for wanting to play. I mean, how fucking boring it must be to only do a few practice drills at Trailblazer facilities.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3316689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland Trail Blazers rookie Greg Oden participated in a pick-up basketball game at a fitness facility in Tualatin, Ore., on Wednesday night, the Oregonian reported.

"We heard about that, and I talked to him today," coach Nate McMillan said. "I let him know he can't do that."

Oden is in the sixth month of his rehabilitation from microfracture surgery on his right knee. He is on schedule to return in time for training camp in October. Oden has been cleared to participate in light drills at practice and the team wants to control his running and jumping.

"I know he is excited to be moving again, but as I talked to him about it he said 'Coach, I promise I wasn't running hard ...'. And I was like -- 'I really don't care',"' McMillan said. "The thing is, we were surprised. So we let him know that he doesn't need to be there. We have plenty of workout equipment and gym space at our facility."

After Oden took part in two pickup games Wednesday night, one of the participants went home and posted an account on the Internet. By Thursday morning, word had gotten back to the Blazers, who were in Oakland, Calif., for a game against Golden State. McMillan said he then called Oden.

"Right now, these young guys don't know their value," McMillan said. "That's part of growing up and maturing. In a couple of years he will understand how stupid that was. I understand it, because I've done it.''
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Dins, did you get schooled at the local 24?

Post by Dinsdale »

He probably was bored, if he was in Tualatin (the practice facility is in Tualatin). He actually livesup the road from me. Of course, I'm at the bottom of the hill where the white trash lives, he's at the top of the hill, probably buried in snow right now. He recently said something about moving downtown this summer. That's what a soon-to-be-21 year old guy needs... to be in one of the nation's capitals of drunken debauchery.

But he was probably just bored. Darius Miles probably took his driver's license back, so Greggy can't hit up the tittybars anymore. Actually, there's a juice bar right there in Tualatin, he could have gone there.

Don't know where he was, but there's actually a big public hoops training facility in Tualatin, too. Kinda cool.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Dinsdale wrote:Darius Miles probably took his driver's license back, so Greggy can't hit up the tittybars anymore.
Dude doesn't need a driver's license. He probably gets the same deals Wolfman gets at the movies.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
Dude doesn't need a driver's license. He probably gets the same deals Wolfman gets at the movies.
Even Wolfman needs ID to get into a tittybar.

But Greggy seems to be enjoying the prime poontang that comes with being a rich young celebrity, or so many firsthand accounts ell me.

Good for him. If it wasnt for fame and fortune, dude probably couldn't get laid in a whorehouse.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Back on topic, when I was 20 years old and moved on the east end of downtown, I heard about some epic pickup games during the summer at the Fonde Recreation Center on the the other end of downtown. I could play a little ball back in the day as I was 6'5" and 175 soaking wet. A white Corey Brewer I guess you could say.

I went there to have a go at it with the guys, but I had no idea it was going to be NBA caliber players. I saw Moochie Norris down there, some college players and Othello Harrington one day. Fucking unbelieveable the talent pool on the main court. The wait to get in those games was about two hours, so I stuck it out. All it took was playing in one of those games to know that it was probably dumbest decision I ever made in my life as I was posterized about 4 times by being teabagged by chocolate ball sacks all game long. High flyers and VERY physical I must say. Well, I did restore a little bit of dignity by coming off a pick and hitting an open 3 towards the end of the game. We lost bad, but at least I scored a bucket among giants. However, I think I turned the ball over 4 times and grabbed only one board. They were just waiting for me to get off that court. I still went back to the Fonde after that, but I only played in the pickup games on the other court where there were no standards.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Yeah good for him!! Hopefully he damages his leg again so he can sit out another year. Maybe even ruin his career!! Good thing those contracts in the NBA are guaranteed.
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Back on topic, when I was 20 years old and moved on the east end of downtown, I heard about some epic pickup games during the summer at the Fonde Recreation Center on the the other end of downtown.
You mean the Fonde Rec Center on Memorial that was 5 blocks from my loft on Houston and Washington Ave. ???

About a 5 minute walk for me. I guess you missed it... Jordan and just about every top NBA players would be there playing all the time. It was Dream's second home, and players would play there on their off day of a road trip into town.

I would usually be on the other court with the rest of the local city guys playing pick up games while the Pro's would be on the other court. When our game was up due to sucking... I'd walk over to the wooden bleachers and kick back and watch these guys get their freak on. It was kinda like watching an NBA all-star game in a high school gym.

Good times.

By the way.... "the east side of downtown" ???

Hmmmm. The only thing there is Enron/ Minute Maid Park and George Brown Convention Center.

Please clue me in to "your" version of downtown. I have a feeling it's going to be a little different than reality's.

Also, Chinatown would be the only other possible living area that I can think of on the other side of the 59 overpass.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Yeah, when I was 20, still in college, and had no money I lived in the 2nd ward which is known as "East End"; its about half a mile southeast of Minute Maid Park. My mother inherited a circa 1930's home there that her grandparents purchased brand new back in the day. I lived there for 5 years and fixed the place up over time with alot of heart and pure ol' elbow grease. My stepdad and I demolished the old garage, and built a new one, we also built a pergola with a deck and a garden area. We also painted all of the outside and inside of the house and refinished the wood floors. Its a two bedroom one bath with a dining room, living room, kitchen, and an enclosed patio. The house has gone from an appraisal value of 34,000 to a respectable (for that area) $66,000. Its nothing to oooh and awwww over, but its a quaint, little house.

m2, I lived close to downtown and worked downtown for a better part of 8 years, so if you feel the need to question my story just because I didn't give specifics to a majority of people who have never stepped foot in Houston much less Texas, then I can see why you are the board bitch of this place. Get a fucking life.

Would you at least agree that the Fonde Center and Minute Maid are on opposite ends of each other? If not, then I guess I will have to stoop to your stupidity level and question your "reality" of downtown.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The local radio hacks got te dude who posted about it on the radio,

Maybe not as big a deal as some are trying to make it out to be.

Greg met some friends at 24 Hour. There were a lot of people playing basketball. They invited Greg to join them. He declined. Kids started crying about it, and their mothers started giving him the "you aren't really going to crush these kids' feelings, are you?" bit. So he walked through a couple of quick pickup games.

Funny how things change. The outrage over Blazer basketball? A young player got in hot water for playing basketball. No drag racing through downtown. No sexual assault charges filed. No one thinking that aluminum foil would conceal weed from an airport metal detector. No one was brutally lit up with a paintball gun.

A dude played basketball.

But gee, you other 29 teams aren't gripping, or anything... nah. Our soon-to-be-rookie dunks on a fat used car salesman, and it makes national headlines. Nah, that didn't tell the world about the overall assessment of what's going to happen in the next couple of years or anything.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Like I said, I didn't see a problem with it. Its just the Blazers have too much money invested in Satchel for him to be playing in a pickup game. The dude who spilled the beans on the interwebs is a moron. Yeah, go ahead an cry that you want him to play, but then out him the next day. Fucking idiots.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Nah, that didn't tell the world about the overall assessment of what's going to happen in the next couple of years or anything.

Sam Bowie II.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Neely8 wrote:Yeah good for him!! Hopefully he damages his leg again so he can sit out another year. Maybe even ruin his career!! Good thing those contracts in the NBA are guaranteed.

Sorry, just had to laugh at this again.

Hey Squeely -- let's take a trip in the wayback machine. We'll go to the distant past, and take a look down Memory Lane, shall we?

Like say, exactly a year ago.

When the Celts were cheating their fans and doing the unspeakable -- INTENTIONALLY TANKING GAMES SO THEY HAD A BETTER SHOT AT GREG ODEN.

Remember that Squeals, or were you off the bandwagon at that time?

When that bullshit tactic didn't work, and the top two lottery picks went to two teams that played to win until the final buzzer of the 82nd game, you guys are now on the anti-Oden bandwagon, and are actually wishing him physical harm?

Priceless.

I see Kevin Garnett's constant whining has rubbed off on his new fanbase.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Dinsdale wrote:
Neely8 wrote:Yeah good for him!! Hopefully he damages his leg again so he can sit out another year. Maybe even ruin his career!! Good thing those contracts in the NBA are guaranteed.

Sorry, just had to laugh at this again.

Hey Squeely -- let's take a trip in the wayback machine. We'll go to the distant past, and take a look down Memory Lane, shall we?

Like say, exactly a year ago.

When the Celts were cheating their fans and doing the unspeakable -- INTENTIONALLY TANKING GAMES SO THEY HAD A BETTER SHOT AT GREG ODEN.

Remember that Squeals, or were you off the bandwagon at that time?

When that bullshit tactic didn't work, and the top two lottery picks went to two teams that played to win until the final buzzer of the 82nd game, you guys are now on the anti-Oden bandwagon, and are actually wishing him physical harm?

Priceless.

I see Kevin Garnett's constant whining has rubbed off on his new fanbase.

I hope he snaps his twig so that you will realize the stupidity of your statement that it is no big deal. Your #1 pick who has not played a game in the NBA decided to go out and play some pickup games at the local Y. You brush it off like it is nothing. I hope he does just to see the reaction from Blazer fan. I am shocked you don't see a problem with it....

Maybe the Celts tanked, or maybe they just flat out SUCKED! Either way it all seems to have worked out just fine for us here Dinseypoo. Don't cry for us in the playoffs this year dipshit...
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

During te Laker game, Greggy comandeered the souvignier-ball-shooter-machine-thingy, donned a very interesting helmet, and proceeded to try and put some eyes out on Laker fans.

Even on the DL, the guy still finds ways to contribute, one way or another.

Be very afraid, non-U&L NBA fan. Especially you, Lakerfan -- he seemsto have taken a healthy dislike to your ilk.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Nah, that didn't tell the world about the overall assessment of what's going to happen in the next couple of years or anything.
Sam Bowie II.
I hate to say I told you so...no, wait...I don’t hate that at all.

I TOLD YOU SO.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

The bones get brittle at his age.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Sam Bowie II.
I hate to say I told you so...no, wait...I don’t hate that at all.

I TOLD YOU SO.
Dude, Oden could walk around with his tongue ala Christopher Reeve and Dins would still claim he's "coming back to dominate." He's admitted to being a myopic homer in other threads.
Dinsdale wrote:The team I've lived and died by since I was old enough to walk and talk went from 22 straight playoff appearances to the toilet in the blink of an eye, and now Blazermania is back, and another championship banner is inevitable...

And you want me to be realistic?

Get the fuck outta here. These Rose-City-colored glasses ain't coming off anytime soon, bro.
I know many like to rub his face in it. Let's just let it play out.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFrisco wrote:I know many like to rub his face in it. Let's just let it play out.
Killjoy.