Arrogant Prick

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Arrogant Prick

Post by RumpleForeskin »

As most of you are aware by now, I am employed for my father-in-law's independent broker-dealer. We're a small firm that houses about 40 brokers (reps). I've single-handedly trained about 30 reps with transitioning their business over to our firm in addition to getting them setup for our websites, internal documents, and a bevy of other things involved with building a practice within our firm.

Usually, when we recruit a rep to come work for us, we go through a very extensive process of profiling a prospect so we know for sure he or she is a good fit with what we are trying to do. In other words, we're picky.

Now, let me back track a little bit here by telling you (for the unaware) that reps carry certain licenses to sell certain products. And these brokers can lose their licenses if they are not employed by a broker-dealer for two years. This pretty much means they have to take the exam all over again for each license they want to retain. Basically, they are starting over.

Alright, back to the story at hand. About a month ago I get a call from a financial marketing organization we are partnered with and they inform me of a rep who is looking for a broker-dealer. They said he would lose his licenses if he could not get hired today. I tell them we usually don't operate like this, but I'd see what I could do. I get on the horn with the recruiter and to make a long story short, we hire the guy that day. Very uncharacteristic of us, but we did it. We (the whole fucking office) pretty much put a halt to our day and pulled in every resource to get this man hired.

I sit down and do a face-to-face orientation with this newly hired rep and let him know how happy we were to get him on board with the firm in less than a day and that it took a "joint effort" to make it happen, but we got it done. Now, I wasn't expecting the guy to get down on his hands and knees and kiss my ass with full appreciation for what we did, but I did expect a little gratitude for what we did. What did I get? Nothing. Nada. Not even an acknowledgement or a nod from this asshole. Okay, so I look beyond that and give him the orientation I give to all the reps. We shake hands and off he goes. Later that day I sent him about five emails with information regarding access to our websites, internal software installations, instructions for signing up with our custodian, and shit like that. I've done this same thing on 30 other occasions and not once did I have a rep email me back telling me they did not understand the information or they could not get on the website with the instructions I gave them. I was 30 for 30 when getting a rep set up. I was batting a 1.000....until now.

I get an email from the unappreciative prick we hired a month ago telling me he could not access the website because "Frankly, the instructions are worded very poorly and not very specific at all." That arrogant prick. Who the fuck does he think he is? Ron O'Neal? Normally I'd look beyond a comment like that and respond with a more detailed explanation because the brokers are my internal customers. But we bent over backwards for this inconsiderate dickhead. He displayed no recognition for our efforts and then has the fucking audacity to tell me that my instructions are for shit. Fuck that. I simply responded to him with a smug comment of my own by stating, "Frankly, (his name), I have trained over 30 reps while here at the firm and sent them the same instruction on accessing the website and you are the first to respond without success, so I will take my chances with the current instructions. Thank you."

I'm sure I will take some heat for this, but I really don't give a shit. Nobody should get away with being an asshole when others have taken extraordinary measures in making sure they can still sell securities.

So this little rant of mine begs the question: Have you ever said "fuck it" and told a "customer" of yours to basically go fuck themselves?
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Re: Arrogant Prick

Post by Tom In VA »

You're taking it way too personally. It's just business. If you wrote the instructions because it's your job, and it's worked for 30 people, you did a good enough job. This one guy is just - this one guy. But if your job is to provide a service to employees, just like any other service related industry, you get a few demanding folks. You still need to serve them with a smile.

Try exploring his criticisms objectively and you never know, it might actually, help you improve your job. I value when people tell my my shit stinks, because it's helpful for me to improve my game.

Companies spend a lot of money on survey's and the like to find out how their clientele really feel.

I know it sucks and it's a hit on the ego and the "oh shit, I have more work to do" factor. But that's why they call it a job. Who knows you might even learn something.

Good Luck. Keep your venting here and help this guy out. As verbose and "frank" as he is, who knows, he might send an email singing your praises if you accomodate him respectfully and with an attitude that you appreciate his input.

Those 30 people who had no problem, just might have figured things out for themselves figuring it would be easier to do that than to ask you again.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I didn't want to hire the guy. It wasn't my decision AND it was against our SOP for hiring reps. I was shocked when my wife's old man gave our recruiter the nod. But now, I'm the one who has to deal with this piece of shit for the time being.

Tom, I know what you're saying. It's all about Quality Control, customer expectations, and all that bullshit. Believe me, I do everything I can to mee quality standards for our industry, but I shouldn't have to put up some dickface who was forced upon me. This is why we have procedure for hiring people. We make sure they are good people with sound moral and ethical intentions. Well, for this one indiviual, we omitted that part of the process.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

How old is the guy, Rumps?
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

poptart wrote:How old is the guy, Rumps?
Mid 50s
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
poptart wrote:How old is the guy, Rumps?
Mid 50s
He's prolly just resistant to making the transition to Windows.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

What Tom said.

I've had to deal with many people like this in my line of work. I develop SAP Data Warehouse Models and Applications. You have the end users who pick it up right away with your documentation and those who do not. You have those who praise your work and those who mock it because they don't understand it.

Work with the dude. In the end, you may have to "dumb down" your instructions, but in the end, customer satisfaction is the goal. Simply dropping the "tried and true" method on someone and having it come back to you as not acceptable doesn't mean you tell him to get fukked. A-hole or not, he IS your customer. Problem employees, ultimately, will stand out and be "taken care of" while those who show the ability to work with both ideal and problem employees stand out for a different reason.

I work with this lady who has been deemed by many as someone no one can work with. I know what they are talking about because I have seen it all the time in her. However, we have a good working relationship. I'm the only one who can work with her here. She's very bright, just a total bitch. In finding a way I can work with her, we have done many good things for the company. And right now, I'm getting all the "atta boys" while she's being left out of the spotlight. Do you wonder why? I don't.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

You are in a difficult place rumps. You just happen to be the dude that harpoon's the bosses little girl.

And everybody at work knows it.

So, whether you deserve it or not, you are gonna catch shit from your coworkers.

I have know way of judging if this is a case of a disgruntled coworker, sincerely confused coworker or just a straight up asshole.

So, all I can really say is, what ^^^^^^ said (tom). Just do what you gotta do to satisfy this prick. Either he will come around or he'll move on eventually. Either way, you win.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I thought this was a dins callout thread.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Rumps,

Just give the guy the link for this place. We’ll take care of him for you.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

smackaholic wrote:or just a straight up asshole.
Yeah, thats the one.

I went around and asked others if they have communicated with this dickface and three of them said they had and said he was a jerk.

Our recruiter even recommended the guy be U-5ed (that is shop talk for terminated) because his attitude is not what we want representing our firm. Usually, its the recruiters who go to bat for these reps, but not this guy. He must be a superprick.
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Just make sure this guy doesn't poison the workplace. If all the reps work independently and his crap is his crap, then he has to sink or swim in that. But if others have to spend their time dealing with it, not a good thing.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Ang post, everybody drink!
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

If people were waiting for a post from me to drink, there would be a whole lot of sober people round here :).
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Rumps: "My instructions are good because I said say are."

Anytime I work on setting up a new program where peeps have to navigate through... whatever... I always have my instructions tested by a shitload of people to ensure I didn't miss anything. It's important that they are tested by a folks with a wide array of talents and knowledge as well. You get the best feedback that way. Furthermore, I make it a point to sit with as many of them as possible while they are testing, so I can pick their brain in real time.

Why do you hate quality control and test plans so much?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

ReumpleForeskin wrote:
Usually, when we recruit a rep to come work for us, we go through a very extensive process of profiling a prospect so we know for sure he or she is a good fit with what we are trying to do. In other words, we're picky.
Deviated from your normal hiring procedure. 1st fuckup - that's on you.

Alright, back to the story at hand. About a month ago I get a call from a financial marketing organization we are partnered with and they inform me of a rep who is looking for a broker-dealer. They said he would lose his licenses if he could not get hired today.

So fucking what. Dude was walking a line it sounds like.
Sounds like they are looking out for you here. Deviated from your normal hiring procedure. 2nd fuckup also on you.

I tell them we usually don't operate like this, but I'd see what I could do. I get on the horn with the recruiter and to make a long story short, we hire the guy that day. Very uncharacteristic of us, but we did it.
You keep repeating your mistake here. Deviated from your normal hiring procedure. 3rd fuck up - thats on you.

I get an email from the unappreciative prick we hired a month ago
Shocking..how much damage has dude done by now ?? 4th fuck up also on you

Nobody should get away with being an asshole when others have taken extraordinary measures in making sure they can still sell securities.
You fucking hired him- deviating from your normal hiring procedure. What the fuck do you expect ? Hire in a day and your going to get shit..STFU. You brought it on.
So this little rant of mine begs the question: Have you ever said "fuck it" and told a "customer" of yours to basically go fuck themselves?
Just fucking cap his ass right now...and I would be all over your "partner " firm for sending me such a stellar employee potential.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?