Shoalzie, you on board?

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie, you on board?

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'm rooting HARD for the Kitties to go 0-16. Yeah, yeah, Millen was fired - first step back to relevance, etc., blah blah blah. The organization on a whole is still a huge joke and they NEED to go 0-16 so that drastic changes are made. The loss of Millen was a plus but will not have a huge impact on this team. Anyway, they can feasibly do this. The rest of their schedule is brutal:

Washington
@ Chicago
Jacksonville
@ Carolina
Tampa Bay
Tennessee
Minnesota
@ Indianapolis
New Orleans
@ Green Bay

:lol: :lol:

Do you see a winnable game here? They've had some success against the Bears in the past, but after the early season throttling I don't see it happening. Every team is decent-to-pretty-damn-good. Their best chance might be Minny at home since the Vikes are not who we thought they were, and Detroit was almost able to beat them a week ago. Well, personally, I never had high expectations for Minnesota because you need a qb to be successful in this league. Anyway, New Orleans at home? Maybe? Maaaaybe? I just don't see it happening.

Let the 0-16 campaign commence!!
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Re: Shoalzie, you on board?

Post by Sirfindafold »

even on Thanksgiving?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

This schedule reminds me a lot of last year when you've got the easier half of it in the first half and the second half is chalked full of playoff contending teams. The thing with last year is that they at least took advantage of the weaker competition and got off to a 6-2 start. They went on to finish 1-7 in the second half simply because they were so over-matched in those games. This year, they had a relatively easy first half of their schedule but they blew chances at winning some games early on and at least having a respectable start. Now, the schedule gets harder going forward and this team can't seem to get out of their own way early in games and put themselves in huge holes and they aren't good enough to catch up.

The only two games I give them a chance in against are at home against the Buccaneers...given the familiarity with the team considering practically half the team are Tampa rejects...and I'll give them a shot in the home game against the Vikings given that they damn near beat them in their dome. Other than that, I think they're hopeless. They won't be New Orleans...Brees will carve them up. Honestly, the last thing they need is the #1 pick because they have too much money tied up with high picks as it is...unless they can trade the pick for more picks and/or future first round picks. At this point, it looks like the Lions and Bengals are playing for the first pick.

I at least want to see more of Orlovsky and have Stanton get a few games for nothing more than a tryout for next year. I know this team lacks talent but they really need to play every young player just so they know what they have and the next GM (hopefully not Mayhew) will be able to pick out which guys can stay and what direction they need to go in the draft. I almost accept a winless year a part of hopefully the next stage of rebuilding under a new GM. It's pretty sucky to have to watch both the Lions and Wolverines in these transitional periods at the same time but hopefully there is a reward at the end of this.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sirfindafold wrote:even on Thanksgiving?

If Young was the QB, I'd give them a shot but with Collins playing well enough, their dynamic combo of running backs and their ass-kicking defense...they'll come into Ford Field on Turkey Day and wipe the floor with them.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:I at least want to see more of Orlovsky and have Stanton get a few games for nothing more than a tryout for next year.
Huh? We're seeing all of Orlovsky we can get to see right now.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:I at least want to see more of Orlovsky and have Stanton get a few games for nothing more than a tryout for next year.
Huh? We're seeing all of Orlovsky we can get to see right now.

This is his first chance to start...other than running out of the back of the end zone, he hasn't thrown a pick. He's been serviceable. I hope for the sake of the Lions that Stanton is better than what he's been giving the team. I'm not going to say he sucks but he's probably not the long term answer they need. He's been on the team for 4 years...this is really his first chance to play.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Don't forget the Clits, they suck dick this year and is totally a winnable game for the Lions, even with how pathetic they are. NO is nothing special and if they are lucky, the shitty version of the Panthers might show up for the Detroit game. 2-14 at the best.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Cincinnati is going to make a run at it..

Jacksonville - nope
at Houston - Could win, but this is in houston, easily a loss as well
Philadelphia - nope
at Pittsburgh - nope
Baltimore - nope
at Indy - nope
Washington - nope
at Cleveland - Could win. but at cleveland for this divisional game is gonna be tough
Kansas City - winnable.

i see only 3 winnable games. more than Detroit, but with Palmer out, ya never know. I like our chances..
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Don't forget the Clits, they suck dick this year and is totally a winnable game for the Lions, even with how pathetic they are. NO is nothing special and if they are lucky, the shitty version of the Panthers might show up for the Detroit game. 2-14 at the best.

For how bad the Colts have been...do you seriously think the Lions can stimy Peyton freakin' Manning? Just sayin'...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Yep. The Colts may be in a down year for the Colts, but this is the Lions we're talking about. They'll think they're facing the '72 Dolphins. You still have to respect Manning and the passing game, and Detroit may have the worst pass defense in the league. Add to that the game is at Indy, and they could be be pushing for a playoff spot while the Lions will have already given up on their season, and you've got the makings of another blowout.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

The futility of going 0-16 could be the gateway to Chrysler and GM merging just so they have a good reason to shut the Lions down for good.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

peter dragon wrote:Cincinnati is going to make a run at it..

Jacksonville - nope
at Houston - Could win, but this is in houston, easily a loss as well
Philadelphia - nope
at Pittsburgh - nope
Baltimore - nope
at Indy - nope
Washington - nope
at Cleveland - Could win. but at cleveland for this divisional game is gonna be tough
Kansas City - winnable.

i see only 3 winnable games. more than Detroit, but with Palmer out, ya never know. I like our chances..
The Bungles were 1 shitty quarter of football away from playing the soon to be division champs even. Once Benson gets his legs under him, they'll be a pretty average team. Not good enough to beat good teams, but easily good enough to win 3-4 games the rest of the way. And that's with or without Palmer.

The Lions, on the other hand, are a completely dysfunctional pile of crap.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Four key rankings...they are 32nd in yards allowed per game, 30th in points allowed, 28th in points for and 27th in offensive yards per game. Plus, they're 23rd in turnover margin at -3...which is somewhat respectable but there are 20 teams in the league that either even or in the plus category. With total yards allowed...they're 31st against both the run and the pass so it's not like one stat is weighing the other one down. They are bad across the board. Have I mentioned that they're dead last in time of possession? To put arguably the worst defense on the field for most of the game...you're not setting yourself up for a lot success.

I have very little to bank on in hopes that they can win a game. They pretty much need to have a game like the Minnesota game where the Lion defense plays well from jump street and does fall behind in the first quarter and they are able to put a couple of scoring drives together and hold the ball and keep their defense off the field. They just aren't good enough where they can just back into a win on accident. They either have to play a perfect game or the other team makes a truckload of mistakes and essentially hand them the game on a silver platter.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

RumpleForeskin wrote:The futility of going 0-16 could be the gateway to Chrysler and GM merging just so they have a good reason to shut the Lions down for good.

William Clay Ford has no influence on the Ford Motor Company. The family let him run the football team and didn't allow him to be anywhere near the car company. They're having a hard enough time as it is...WCF would drive them into the ground.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WCF would drive them into the ground.
I dunno. He could build cars from Play-Doh and paper mache, and still have the Pauls' and Wags' of the world in his corner touting the cutting edge quality.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

cincinnati opens the week as a 9.5-10 point dog to the fucking texans.. i dont know this 0-16 race might be closer than you think lol
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Are the Lions trying to ruin there chances at going 0-16?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/28/culpepp ... the-lions/

I don't know what Culpepper has left but him throwing to C.J. could be shades of him throwing to Moss...sans the punk attitude. The rest of the team still blows though.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Shoalzie wrote:Are the Lions trying to ruin there chances at going 0-16?

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

I don't know what Culpepper has left but him throwing to C.J. could be shades of him throwing to Moss...sans the punk attitude. The rest of the team still blows though.
ive always like mike furrey ;) but then i went to HS with him..
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

There are conflicting reports with what is going on with Culpepper. The Freep is reporting that he worked out and left but ESPN is saying he's in contract negotiations with the Lions after working out. Can't say for sure what is fact or rumor.

http://freep.com/article/20081029/SPORT ... 048/SPORTS

Yesterday, the topic was hot on local radio and most are in favor of the move for the mere fact that it will prohibit the Lions from wasting their #1 pick on a quarterback. Culpepper would be nothing more than a bandaid at that position, if that. This isn't going to be a strong QB draft so I'm glad they'd go this route and they can (hopefully) focus on a left tackle or a guy that can be an impact player in the front seven...namely at defensive tackle or middle linebacker.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Culpepper to the Lions very close to a done deal...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3676865
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Bengals win and Lions blow a halftime lead...0-8 :oops: :lol:

Oh, we're halfway there!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Culpepper could be starting as early as this Sunday. Jay Glazer is reporting and I heard it on the radio...Orlovsky thumb is in a cast and he could miss a couple weeks with a bad thumb. The signing was just announced today...that would be crazy if he'd start right away but remember, it's the Lions.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8751 ... umb-sprain
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

There are enough questions as to why the Lions would do this deal with Culpepper, but I want to know what kind of loser comes out of retirement to join an 0-8 team???

What does Culpepper have to gain by doing this? He might think he can showcase himself and set up an offer in the offseason from a good team, but with the Lions sad-sack O-line and lack of running game, he's probably just setting himself up for (another) career-ending injury.

As for the Lions, I'm disappointed they're making an effort to win games. I want 0-16 baby!!
Still a FlameFan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Titans ruined the hopes of a true Turkey Bowl on Thanksgiving but at least the Leos held up their end of the bargain although they jumped out to a 17-0 lead on Sunday. They pissed that lead away in about 8 minutes after three quick Bucs touchdowns.

Any hope of not finishing 0-16? 5 games left and 3 are at home. Oddly enough, they've been worse at home than on the road but then again, Ford Field is becoming more and more empty with each passing week. I shutter to think what the attendance could be in their home finale in Week 16.

The remaining slate:
Week 13 vs. Tennessee (Thanksgiving)
Week 14 vs. Minnesota
Week 15 @ Indianapolis
Week 16 vs. New Orleans
Week 17 @ Green Bay

I see the Titans rushing for over 200 yards on the Lions on Thanksgiving and they'll play with a big chip on their shoulder after losing their perfect season on Sunday against the Jets. It's going to be another Turkey Day blood bath on national TV for the Leos. Minnesota is wildly inconsistent but their one constant is their running game and they should be able to pound the rock on this horrid rush defense all day and win fairly easy.

The Colts in spite of all their injuries and moments of weakness will look like the team of old when get the Leos in their new stadium. I expect Manning to be able to pick them apart through the air and their speedy defense will wear a path out getting to the QB. Much like the Colts, the Saints should look like the team some expected them to be when they get to the hapless Lions. Brees will throw for well over 300 yards and it should be a runaway win at Ford Field.

I don't care if the Packers have been hot and cold in Rodgers first season...the Lions just don't win at Lambeau and to have to win their save themselves from 0-16...I just don't see it. It's mixed up here whether or not we want to see the imperfect season but I don't see how it isn't going to happen. We can only hope this is enough embarrassment that is causes a full-scale house cleaning and the rumors of Scott Peoli being interested in this job gives some hope that 0-16 is a necessary evil to make this happen.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Culpepper came to Detroit because they were the only team to offer him a 2-yr deal. Everyone else wouldn't offer him anything more than 1-yr. That's what kept him out in the first place.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

If the stars align, they could beat the Vikes at home. The other four - no chance. 0-16 is looking very promising.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Detroit papers have all but guaranteed the Lions will go 0-16. This would be a great time to be a Rome listener. He's going to go nuts by the end of the season. His dream will be fulfilled.