My trip to Oregon...

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

My trip to Oregon...

Post by Ken »

Couple times/year, I make my way to Oregon on biz and always find time to fit in some golf. Just so happened this 1.5 weeks ago. My golf itinerary this trip was as follows:
Thursday morning- Langdon Farms (customer golf)
Friday morning- Heron Lakes (customer golf)
Saturday afternoon- Pacific Dunes (personal golf)
Sunday morning- Bandon Dunes (personal golf)

Really, with Pacific and Bandon Dunes reviews to come, no need to spend any time on Langdon or Heron Lakes apart from- Langdon is overpriced and given Heron Lakes (Great Blue Course) and some othe muni courses I've played in the Portland area, their muni courses are hard to beat.

I left Portland Sat. morning, 4.5 hr. drive ahead of me to make my way down to Bandon. Not too bad of a drive... some scenic... some shit-assed. If you can help it, don't get stuck behind a truck or anything cumbersome on rt. 38 that takes you from I-5 to Rt. 101. Also note that you shouldn't tail anyone on that road since it appears that Oregon has it's share of road rage :oops: Coos Bay, while pretty industrial looking, also looks to be a great place.

Arrive at Bandon and your first thought is that it is EVERYTHING it is touted to be... and that is a golf mecca. There is nothing about the place that doesn't ooze golf.. and even better, nothing there that oozes anything OTHER than golf. I check in to my room and immediately head to the practice facility for my afternoon round. bandon dunes is relatively spread out. Three courses, and myriad accomodations/bars/restaurants on the premises. Shuttles take you wherever.

Pacific Dunes is up for me first. I'm playing as a single, so I'm paired with a threesome- all about 60 yrs. old. One is a retired principle in San Diego, another is a podiatrist, and the other runs the Buick Championship (or Open, whichever it is there in SoCal). Yeah, they have money... I don't. Hell, $$$$$ was EVERYHERE there. At one point, I'm standing outside one of the three pro shops and a near to me are five or six guys. One says to the other, "Is Dave going to be able to fit into your plane too?" Of course, no carts at Bandon. I meet my caddie at the tee (everyone tees off from the same tee, one forward from the tips. No questions asked unless you're a senior) and after introducing myself, my first question is, "How long you been caddying here?" Four years, he says. 8)

Off we go. Bogey. Bogey. Dbl. bogey.

I couldn't hit a fairway if they were 100 yards wide. It was horrible. I'm playing what many consider to be the best course in the United States, a finer experience than Pebble, and possibly top ten in the world, and I drive it like shit. Fucking horrible. Nerves 'cuz I'm finally getting to play there, I dunno. Other than that, I struck the ball well (irons were crisp), but add on another stroke/hole everytime you're hacking it back out onto the fairway, happy to advance it 50 yards, from deep shit. Add on another 5 or so putts/round given the greens and you've got an 8 handicap shooting a 91 at Pacific Dunes.

The course is gorgeous. Cut through the dunes and very pleasing (and intimidating) to the eye.
Few of these pics taken w/my phone:

Par 3- hole, I don't remember. My tee shot off the green on the right.

Another par 3. I did par this one. Of course, it helps that this was one of the largest greens on the course.

Par 4. Of course, I missed the gargantuan fairway... by a mile. See the bunker on the right? Well past that, but also well right and into the gorse. Fyi, don't fuck w/gorse. If you've never seen or played w/it, consider yourself lucky. It is miserable shit.

Par 3. Towards the ocean.

We finish up, pay the caddie + tip, and I go clean up. Get a few emails done in the room then head for some dinner at one of the restaurants on property. Everything is classy, yet understated. Pure golf. I get a pork loin and a couple jack and cokes. Back to the room, read one of the golf magazines waiting for me in the room, and crash.
The next morning, I've got a 9:20 tee time for Bandon Dunes. I'm gonna figure out this driving crap, so I head to the practice facility at 7:45 or so. Fixed. Backswing is too far.

Picture of the main clubhouse/restaurant as I walked to get breakfast before practice:

Picture of 18 fairway right after I finished breakfast. Looking out towards the ocean.

Various shots from bandon Dunes (don't remember any hole #'s)

One of the best holes on the course, imo. Aesthetically awesome. Par 4. I good drive would be over the waste area in the distance leaving about 75 yards in to the green on the right. Bail out drive is to the left. I came up short on the 'man-up' drive and ended up in the junk. With a great up and down from the greenside, I still made par.

One of my best shots occured on this hole. Long par four, into the onshore wind, dogleg right. My approach was a bit blind. Got my line, and from 200 out, nailed my five wood to the center of the green. Par.

Anyways, finished with an 83 on Bandon Dunes, the harder of the two with a 139 slope. I'll take that. The irons weren't as crisp as thye could have been.

Two great courses. Spectacular courses. Cannot wait to get back there, which I will do next Sept.- this time w/a customer so I don't have to pay. My only complaint is this (and really, who am I to judge, but nonetheless)- Both Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes are touted to be as true links style as possible. And they are- Hard, fast greens. Sand base everywhere. Ocean or seaside. Natural dunes. Prevailing winds. Where they fail, imo is that a good links style course, due to their very fast and hard greens, will allow for creative approaches to greens. Running them up, being the primary method. Bandon nor Pacific allow for that as much as they should... something that is integral to a links course w/hard greens.

Lastly, went out yesterday and played here in the 'burgh. Reasonably difficult course and one the better ones here north of Pgh.
Best.
Round.
Ever.

No gimmees, no mulligans, no anything.

Oh, one last thing... I'll leave you with this. Spent the next few days back in Portland on biz. Met this chick at a sushi bar downtown and fucked the hell out of her that night. The face was damned near as good as the legs and rest of the body. She called the next afternoon wanting more. So I gave her more.

Served well as a nice topper to two rounds at Bandon.

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: My trip to Oregon...

Post by Goober McTuber »

Ken wrote:Oh, one last thing... I'll leave you with this. Spent the next few days back in Portland on biz. Met this chick at a sushi bar downtown and fucked the hell out of her that night. The face was damned near as good as the legs and rest of the body. She called the next afternoon wanting more. So I gave her more.
I thought you had a girlfriend in Michigan?!?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Great Blue is a damn fine muni. Pretty freaking tough for a muni... fucker kicked my ass pretty good the last time I played there.

Never played Bandon or Pacific... though I've told myself I'm going to about 100 times. I have spent time on the South Coast, which is freaking spectacular. Although the relatively wind-free semi-warmth of early November sounds better... without the caddy and for the $50 off-season rate (this time frame was highly suggested by a caddy at Bandon I hung out with a little while working in Coos Bay a few years back).

Props on scoring some of Stumptown's fine tail. Portland chicks are easy... and we like them that way. Nothing like importing transplants by the thousands and having them decide promiscuity is their new MO.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Is that a cig she's holding? Yuck.

Nice PET though. Course looks tough.

How'd you score a 68? 4500 yards?

68 is my personal best too, but it was 14 years ago in high school. My best in the last 10 years is only a 73. I'm good for 2-3 rounds in the 70s each year now as I don't get out as much as I would like. Pretty consistent in the low/mid 80s. If I can ever get rid of the yips, I would be in the 70s each week.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Ken

Post by Ken »

IndyFrisco wrote:Is that a cig she's holding? Yuck.

Nice PET though. Course looks tough.

How'd you score a 68? 4500 yards?

68 is my personal best too, but it was 14 years ago in high school. My best in the last 10 years is only a 73. I'm good for 2-3 rounds in the 70s each year now as I don't get out as much as I would like. Pretty consistent in the low/mid 80s. If I can ever get rid of the yips, I would be in the 70s each week.
Naaah, looks like a pen to me. She didn't smoke.

Re: 68
6,500 yds. Dunno how I did it. Everything just clicked. Addressing the ball, I didn't have to think much. Everything felt smooth, fuzzy edges... like a few beers does to one's psyche. Smooths everything out. Was on most greens in regulation w/decent birdie opportunities (some very good birdie opportunities). I was in most fairways off the tee. I think I only missed two. The few times I had to scramble, I saved par. Had a couple up and downs to save par (one out of a greenside bunker) that sure helped. I had only one 3-putt, which also helps.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Ken wrote:
Re: 68
6,500 yds. Dunno how I did it.
that's usually the way good rounds go....you don't think about score you just play one shot at a time and the next thing you know is

"wtf, how did I shoot that"

nice round and good on you playing two of the best publics in the country
get out, get out while there's still time
Ken

Post by Ken »

Played the same course late this afternoon.
Shot a 76. Happy w/the game right now, to say the least.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote: two of the best publics in the country

So they say.

Great Blue at Heron Lakes is no slouch as far as pubbies go, either. For <$40, anyway.

Kennyboy was living pretty large for a few days there.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:
So they say.

Great Blue at Heron Lakes is no slouch as far as pubbies go, either. For <$40, anyway.
just going by what my buds and Golf Digest tell me, but if your talking "bang for the buck" probably not..one of the best muni's in Idaho only costs $18 during the week and $21 on weekends-tough fucking course too

but as far as the quality of the Bandon courses go-I'll be finding out for myself later this month

I'm headed up north for three days of meetings and some of us are headed up early (Sunday) to play this course

http://www.circlingraven.com/coursetour.html

just ranked #95 on the "Top 100 you can play" by Golf Digest
Kennyboy was living pretty large for a few days there.
there's a joke in there somewhere
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote: just going by what my buds and Golf Digest tell me, but if your talking "bang for the buck" probably not..one of the best muni's in Idaho only costs $18 during the week and $21 on weekends-tough fucking course too

If you play during the "special times" (usually teeing off early on a weekday), Eastmoreland is $18.

Haven't seen the rankings lately, but at one time was like #27 on the top-pubbies list.

Not a "my course's dick is bigger than your courses dick" by any means... RACK all great golf values everywhere.