Trade Deadline Thread

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Shoalzie »

The Angels acquire Mark Teixeira from Atlanta for Casey Kotchman and a young pitcher.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this move makes the Angels the #1 contender in the AL in my view. They already had the great pitching...both starting and at the end of the game...but now they add a big bat that can hit from both sides of the plate and can drive in runs to take some pressure of Guerrero. Kotchman was having a pretty good year for himself but Teixeira being a strong second half player in addition to being a switch hitter and a very solid glove at first...he's an impact player that would've put any of the top teams a step above the others.

Boston supposedly wanted him too and they're already having major issues with Ramirez. They're still a strong number two team in the AL but there's that Manny drama to contend with unless they're able to ship him off before August 1. The Angels really needed another big bopper in the lineup to drive in runs and they made that happen here with this move. The Yankees added Nady and Marte...curious to see what the other top teams in the AL do. It's really only been the contenders in the NL that have made moves up until this past weekend.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Shoalzie »

A bit of a surprise given the Tigers are still in the race in the AL Central...they trade Pudge to the Yankees and bring back Kyle Farnsworth.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Yankees needed a catcher considering the situation with Posada but Pudge is only good for 4-5 games a week max...he needs rest. They do have Molina in New York to spell him so that's a good guy to have in a couple times a week.

For the Tigers, I hoped they add some arms add the end of the bullpen and Farnsworth actually did close briefly when he was in Detroit before. This gives Leyland a quartet of big right handed arms...Zumaya, Rodney, Farnsworth and Freddy Dolsi to close out games with Todd Jones being stripped of the closer spot and now being used a setup man.

Pudge probably wasn't coming back next year anyways perhaps they go out and get another catcher or they go with the combo of Inge and Dane Sardinha the rest of the way. Inge is better suited at third but it does give him a chance to play on a regular basis as the catcher. Pudge was hitting around .290 so Inge is a step down in average but is a little better in the power department.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

business and all, but pudge should be sent out of town with a big fucking thank you card. he came to dtw when no one would and helped jumped start this renaissance.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Kyle Farnsworth is and always will be a piece of crap with a bad attitude. Enjoy him Daytwah, he's going to bring a large bag of suck to your bullpen!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

as opposed to todd jones? fernando rodney? people don't have attitudes when they play in detroit. there isn't much to do in the city aside from play your ass off - win or lose - or get beat up in the parking lot. you'll notice detroit fans haven't had to deal with any prima donnas in years.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

TheJON wrote:Kyle Farnsworth is and always will be a piece of crap with a bad attitude. Enjoy him Daytwah, he's going to bring a large bag of suck to your bullpen!

Still bitter about Farnsworth kicking Jeremy Affedlt's ass a few years back...

1-0, post Pudge...we've moved on.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Ken Griffey, Jr. to the White Sox...pending approval

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398 ... t-approval" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Yankees adding Pudge, Nady and Marte; the Angels adding Teixeira; the Red Sox possibly getting Bay as part of that Manny deal to Florida; now, the Pale Hose getting one of my favorite players of all-time...the hill for the Motor City Kitties is only getting steeper.

EDIT--Griffey has approved the deal, the Reds get pitcher Nick Masset and second basemen Danny Richar

Last edited by Shoalzie on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The latest on the Man-Ram situation...

Kind of funny that the Marlins would add a guy who makes almost as much as their entire payroll. It would just seem odd seeing him in another uniform because I hardly remember him as an Indian when he was first coming up and he didn't have the crazy ass hair. They traded away Cabrera over the winter...a guy compared to Ramirez as far as flaky personality but with the natural ability to hit and then they could possibly pick up the genuine article.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Will the Marlins actually keep Manny? I think that if they get him they keep him for the remainder of the season and do whatever they can to get rid of him at the end.

I like the deals the Yanks have made. It seems that Farnsworth was always giving up a big hit. Pudge will help for the rest of the season but what do they do next year? Have him play 1st if they get rid of Giambi?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Laxplayer wrote:Will the Marlins actually keep Manny? I think that if they get him they keep him for the remainder of the season and do whatever they can to get rid of him at the end.

I like the deals the Yanks have made. It seems that Farnsworth was always giving up a big hit. Pudge will help for the rest of the season but what do they do next year? Have him play 1st if they get rid of Giambi?

Manny has an option at the end of this year...you'd have to believe they don't pick it up. I think it's for $19 million...don't hold me to it. Seems like a pretty expensive rental since they're giving up a regular player like Jeremy Hermida. It's a great deal for the Red Sox if they can lock up Bay long term.

As for the Pudge in New York situation...he is a free agent after this year. I think that played a big part in why the Tigers cut bait for him. However Farnsworth's deal is up after this year as well. Posada could be the one moving to first with Pudge going behind the plate as their starter but he's been playing only 5 games a week at the most with the Tigers. Leyland had been giving him several days off and playing Inge more and Pudge's batting average climbed as a result. He was up to .295 before the trade but his power is gone and he's been hitting in the bottom third of the order simply because he can't drive in runs on a regular basis. Don't expect him to light it up big in New York...he's got very little left in the tank and he's not really capable of playing every day at his age.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

I think you'er right about Manny's option. If this deal gets done the Sox win. Manny is a cancer and Bay is a younger, better player. It's a win win for the Sox.
I agree about Posada moving but what will they do next year. Both of these guys are on the downside of their careers and the Yanks need to think about getting younger at 1B and behind the plate.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Still bitter about Farnsworth kicking Jeremy Affedlt's ass a few years back...

1-0, post Pudge...we've moved on.

No, I'd forgotten about that actually. Farns is a horrible pitcher and he's a jackoff. He doesn't know how the PITCH. He can throw, but he can't pitch. His attitude has, and always will be the reason he's never going to be a successful big leaguer. I've followed his career ever since he was with the Iowa Cubs and he hasn't changed one bit. He's a mid 4's ERA guy and always will be. I have no idea why Detroit would want this jerkoff back. If they were that desperate to get rid of Pudge and his salary, why not just trade him for cash? You want NOTHING to do with the Farns.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Laxplayer wrote:I think you'er right about Manny's option. If this deal gets done the Sox win. Manny is a cancer and Bay is a younger, better player. It's a win win for the Sox.
The deal appears to be dead...

I agree about Posada moving but what will they do next year. Both of these guys are on the downside of their careers and the Yanks need to think about getting younger at 1B and behind the plate.
Pudge could be just a rental since he's in the last year of his deal. I recall Posada signing an extension recently so it's not like he'd be the one to go. He'll be coming off shoulder surgery and you don't know how he'll be after that. If he can't throw anymore, then he basically becomes 1B/DH like Giambi. Posada is done for the year so they don't have to worry about making that decision until the winter. Giambi and Sexson platoon at first and they have a very capable backup to Pudge in Molina to spot him a couple times a week. I think Cashman has done well in picking up Nady and Pudge...both were positions of need and picking up Marte made Farnsworth expendable.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

No link yet but I just heard on the local station that Jason Bay did get traded today...to Tampa Bay for two prospects.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

I think the move for Sexson was stupid. why pay a guy any money at all to hit, I mean swing at pitches and miss. I think Posada signed a deal after last year. Nadhy is a good fit for the outfield because Matsui seems to be injury prone lately. If the Rays got Bay that's huge......
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Nevermind about Tampa Bay, Manny has been dealt to the Dodgers in a three way deal with the Red Sox and Pirates.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398 ... to-Dodgers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dodgers get: Manny Ramirez
Red Sox get: Jason Bay
Pirates get: Andy LaRoche & Brian Morris from Dodgers; Brandon Morris & Craig Hansen from Red Sox
DoggFather
Crack Whore

Post by DoggFather »

I hope he doesn't suffer from Andruw Jones disease when he comes out here.

I do like Man-Ram, but I would like to know how they plan on keeping 5 outfielders happy for the rest of the season.

Didn't have to give up much though. LaRoche was expendable because of Blake DeWitt's impressive play at 3B, and Bryan Morris already has one Tommy John surgery under his belt at age 21. Sox are also paying the 7 mil remaining on his contract.

Here's to the circus coming early this year.
Last edited by DoggFather on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Wow, the Sox totally win on that one.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

So how long before manny starts being manny in LA? I guess if anyone can get manny to behave, it's Torre.

I suspect he'll end up back in the AL next year playing DH somewhere.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Uncertain about the Griffey deal, but bringing back that sack of shit Farnsworth to Detroit is fucking hilarious. I will give this to him, though, he's slightly better than the pile of shit he was back when he was with the Tigers. They sorely need arms more reliable than Zumaya's and Jones'.

Just give the freaking title to the Halos already. 1-9, best lineup in the bigs, any lead after the 8th? Lights out.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Shoalzie wrote:Inge is better suited at third but it does give him a chance to play on a regular basis as the catcher.
Who wants Inge to play on a regular basis unless it's at third base?

Farnsworth is not a big game pitcher. That might work to his benefit seeing as the Tigers likely won't be playing any big games come October.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Laxplayer wrote:Wow, the Sox totally win on that one.
Yep, Bay not a free agent til the end of next year. Great trade for Boston.

Still doesn't mean anyone will knock off the Angels' pitching though...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Not to mention that Bay is 6 years younger than Manny, will hunger to play for a winner, has comparable numbers this year and makes a shit load less money. Great freaking trade for the Sox. I do think you're right though rozy....the Angels look awesome.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Angels are by far the best team in baseball, but that doesn't mean they're going to win the World Series. Postseason baseball is all about whose playing the best at that time and the best team not only doesn't win it all the time but only wins it maybe once every few years. Any team can win in the postseason.

But even though the Angels are the best team, K-Rod couldn't hold Joakim Soria's jockstrap. K-Rod's arm is going to fall off in about 2 years, mark it down.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

just curious: have you ever been right about a single thing? i'm already looking for um/osu tix considering it'll be another 1v2 match up since you said to mark it down that umich will win only four or five games this year.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I'm just saying, you can only throw like K-Rod does for so long and then your arm just falls off. Happens to them all.

As for my predictions......it's amazing how everyone seems to ONLY remember the ones I get wrong. That's fine. Gotta love the hata's too!

And I'm not predicting umich to win 4 games. I think they'll win 5. Gonna get whooped by Utah, take that to the bank.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Oops, I misread what you wrote about 4 OR 5 games. My bad. But yeah, they're gonna suck!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i suppose a hata is an entirely different species than a hayta. i simply don't remember anything you've called that's come to pass. as for four or five wins: iowa won six games last year and was about 55% of what michigan will be this year, so i'll just go ahead and file that prediction with all the rest of the hata's selective memories.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

TheJON wrote:But even though the Angels are the best team, K-Rod couldn't hold Joakim Soria's jockstrap. K-Rod's arm is going to fall off in about 2 years, mark it down.

Homersayswhat?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

JON, Iowa will be lucky to finish ahead of Northwestern and Indiana. Mark it down.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

As of the other day K-Rod was 41st in WHIP amongst pitchers with 40+ innings. Soria is probably somewhere around 2nd or 3rd. Soria also has an ERA of a full point below K-Rod. # of saves is overrated. It just means you're fortunate enough to have your team go into the 9th with a 3 run lead or less every night. Not only is Soria a better overall pitcher but he's got a better shot at a long career because he doesn't have that herky jerky motion doesn't pitch like a guy that's going to kill his arm someday.

I'm not being a homer, I'm just being factual. Soria > K-Rod.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Well, you talking up the #1 and #2 guys in saves so it's not like you're just pulling Soria out of your ass. He is emerging as one of the better closers in the game. If you want to go by who is probably having the all-around best year statistcally as a closer...I'd say it's Joe Nathan...30 of 32 in saves, 1.18 ERA, 49:11 strikeouts to walks. Soria is right up there along with Rivera, Rodriguez, Pabelbon and Lidge. It's definitely been a very good year for dominant closers. I definitely think K-Rod will break Thigpen's record...he'll reach 60 saves.

As for his violent delivery...he's been able to do it for 6 years and he's got 220 saves in that time. I wouldn't worry about how he throws if I were the Angels...just worry about getting him signed after this year.