Big W Final - Federer v. Nadal, Call it

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Big W Final - Federer v. Nadal, Call it

Post by poptart »

Third straight year they square off in the final.
Federer won a close one in last year's match, and of course Nadal just got done giving Rog prolly the worst THUMPING of his career a couple o' weeks ago in Paris.

I read Federer's comment that he wasn't only looking to win this years Wimbledon but was looking at things as if he would have a chance to win the tournament for the next 5-10 years.

>> double take <<

huh ... ?

Over-bravado is a sign that one is in a little bit of denial.
Federer has had a 'poor' year by his standards and the gap between he and the other top player, Nadal in particular, has closed.
And if Rafa wins this one on Federer's fav surface you could possibly declare that he has overtaken the Swiss King.

I like Nadal's chances to upset Rog this time.

Nadal, the new 'unofficial' #1 in Men's tennis, in 5 sets.

As for Sister Williams' ... wgaffrc??
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Re: Big W Final - Federer v. Nadal, Call it

Post by RadioFan »

As long as someone is shot in the back, Texas wins.

Sin, mouth-breathing morons.
-------------------------

Are they both legal? Those sound like foreign names to me.

Sin, Neely.

What? I can't watch tennis with those two apes playing in the final! They don't have dicks.

Sin, Pikkle.

With your take on the universe, how can you possibly even begin to try to comprehend tennis? You probably think "god" created nylon strings and composite materials. Clearly, you have no idea of what you are asking. Dumbfuck.

Sin, mvscal.

Isn't Federer related to O'Bama and Nadal related to Cheney?

Sin, BSmack.

Tennis? You're a fag!

Sin,

I don't care who wins, as long as I'm drunk later.

Sin, Papa Willie.

"tennis anyone?"
remember that?

Sin, Wolfman.

"I should be able to catch part of the first set, before I have to go to church. See, I'm needed this weekend to help direct the Freedom Choir and help clean up after last night's Jesus Loves America show. I'm sure it will be awesome, bro."

Sin, Rozy.

Holy fuck. This thread is about tennis. I can't believe I'm reading all this, and RadioFan still hasn't said who he thinks will win. What a tard.

Sin, Wags.
--------------------------

go aAron RogerS. I will luabe heim evan more tahn adrunk piggys if hes wins.

Sin, bbq.
--------------------------

I'd like to see those fuckers play on U&L clay in this goddamn smoke that we're having to deal with, no thanks to you folks down south, in the ... uhhh, state ... that shall remain nameless. See, here in the U&L, when our tennis clay becomes infected by Cali smoke ... well, let's just say Federer nor Nadal would have a chance. BOTH of those fuckers would have been eliminated by now. Are you serious?

Sin, Dins.

Federer. I can work with this.

Sin, Goobs.

Nice thread so far, except you left out Wags' wife as one of the ape participants. I'll let him explain it, right after I make a post in the mod forum.

Sin, Bushice.

Those are my boys!

Sin, Zyclone.

What? And no Gestalt?

Sin, PSUFAN.

RF is "dellutional"

Sin, .m2.

Btw, pop, Federer, in 5.

Happy belated 4th, bro :wink:
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

You forgot.
-----------------------------------------------------
Just let me know when this eye candy will be televised.

Sin, trev
-----------------------------------------------------
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

pop,
I've been noticing quite a bit of bravado (overconfidence?) in a lot of Federer's quotes as well. Not sure if he really is that cocky or if he's trying to play mind games with Nadal.

I don't really have a "favorite" tennis player, per se, so lately, the guy I'm pulling for depends on the surface. I'd really like to see Roger break through at Roland Garros, which would pretty much cement his status as best of all time, but I'd also like to see Nadal beat him on grass. So I guess I'll be pulling for Rafa in this one, although it'd be pretty cool to see Federer become the first guy to win 6 straight (the guy who did it in the 1800s got a bye into the final for the last 5, so that's not even a comparison).

I guess for a prediction, I'll say Federer in 4. I think he's still pretty pissed about his poor showing in the French final and he'll take out some aggravation on Nadal.

Which reminds me, I still need to set my DVR. This is a great matchup, but no fucking way am I rolling out of bed at 6am on a Sunday morning to watch it live. War fast-forwarding through all the commercials and Rafa's incessant butt-picking.
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i read that if Nadal wins it will be the first time someone has won both the French and Wimby in the same year since Borg, in 1980.

just 28 years ago.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Toss another RACK at RF.

Pert funnay.

Zyclone's boys!

hahaha
General Peters
All-American Kid

Post by General Peters »

Federer in 3 sets
well kiss my ass and call it rosy
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Both have pretty much steamrolled to the finals. Borg picked Rafa to win before the tournament started, but I think Federer wins in four sets.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Federer is going to make Nadal his personal "Cabana Boy" again.

Federer is probably the best tennis player ever.... and Nadal is just a clay monkey.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Kind of surprised to see this on here, because I didn't think people followed tennis round here. I don't agree that Nadal just has it, as a lot of people have said, but I don't think Federer just has it either. Some would say the grass favors Federer, but Nadal has raised the ante, thumping Federer this year on clay and beating better people on grass in the preps. So, it comes down to whether or not Federer can raise his game even higher, because he will have to.

My vote is Federer raises his game and wins in 4 sets.

And pop, what in the hell is "wgaffrc" in regard to the Williams sisters? I don't do text shorthand, so don't know what that means, but I thought it was a pretty amazing final. The previous matches between the two have been disappointing, but their final was hardcore tennis at it's best, and almost easily dismissed because we've seen them before and expect all those amazing shots they do and make it look easy. That was some really, really good tennis.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

That's who gives a fat fucking rat cock, Ang.

I'm not much of a fan of the sisters, but I am pleased to see two Yanks in the Big W final.

Props to Venus.

It wasn't on t.v. here, so I had to amuse myself with a cornucopia of other viewing delights, such as the traditional 4th of July weekend Chihuahua eating contest.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

My nephew used to give head to Federer, so I've been a big big fan ever since.

Sin,
JSC
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

4th set tiebreaker. wow. going to the 5th.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

[joke]why does nadal pick his butt all the time?

[/must be a funny in there somewhere]

slept for the 3rd and fourth sets. this one seems to be a doozy
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Another rain delay. This is already a classic final, just hope they finish today.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

L45B wrote:...just hope they finish today.
Not a chance. Limey bastards are too cheap to install lights.

Classic battle. Both players making incredible shots. Reminds me of Bjorg vs. Mac. back in the day.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

it's back on. 6-6 in the 5th. no tie-break in 5th sets.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Wow. Not a big tennis guy, but I tune in for Nadal v Federer. No disappointment here, good stuff.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Best Tennis I've seen in a decade.

WoW
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Moving Sale wrote:Best Tennis I've seen in a decade.
doesn't get much better than that
get out, get out while there's still time
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Wow. Just finished watching it (the DVR definitely came in handy during those rain delays). What an incredible match. Props to Nadal for finally rising up on grass.

That was easily the best tennis match I've ever watched. I was starting to wonder if Federer would ever crack. Every time Nadal had a chance to break, Roger would come up with a huge ace. I think the most telling moment was when it was 4-4 in the 5th set, a good 4 hours in, and McEnroe asked rhetorically "Do these guys even look tired?"

Makes me wish we could get a tourney back here in the Valley. They used to have a small tourney (Franklin-Templeton Classic) up in Scottsdale the week before Indian Wells. Agassi was a regular. Hopefully they find a way to get some tennis back here. It's been a couple years now...
"Keys, woman!"
General Peters
All-American Kid

Post by General Peters »

Ang wrote:
And pop, what in the hell is "wgaffrc" in regard to the Williams sisters? I don't do text shorthand, so don't know what that means, but I thought it was a pretty amazing final. The previous matches between the two have been disappointing, but their final was hardcore tennis at it's best, and almost easily dismissed because we've seen them before and expect all those amazing shots they do and make it look easy. That was some really, really good tennis.
No it wasn't. When you tune in to watch women's tennis, that's what you want to see- women playing tennis. That's not what was on NBC Saturday. It was two repulsive beastnogs going head to head, screaming like cornered elephants for two hours.

Somebody EXTINGUISH these two fugly monstrosities from the game so that we can return to what is great about women's tennis- feminine yet athletic ladies out there, competing at a high level and being hot enough to jerk to.

OUT
well kiss my ass and call it rosy
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Awesome match today...they're really the only two watchable players on the men's circuit. The rest of the dudes should just hang it up and let those two play in every Grand Slam final.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

That shit has been going on since Monica Seles played. She was the one who started it. I suppose in that case the mute button might work, if it was watchable tennis but listening to the game without the grunting is better.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Best tennis I've seen in years. Reminded me of watching Edberg and Becker go at it when I was a kid.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

General Peters wrote:Somebody EXTINGUISH these two fugly monstrosities from the game so that we can return to what is great about women's tennis- feminine yet athletic ladies out there, competing at a high level and being hot enough to jerk to.
Venus isn't jerk material, but she's way more feminine than Serena. I'll leave the "wildebeest" comments to the neanderthal you are, though.

Thanks for reminding us once again why we don't stoop to the level of tards.net.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Easily the best Wimbledon final at least since Ivanisevic beat Rafter. But throw in the fact that this may eventually go down as one of the great rivalries in sports, today's final was some of the highest level of tennis I've ever seen and I've been watching tennis for twenty years.
Shoalzie wrote:...they're really the only two watchable players on the men's circuit. The rest of the dudes should just hang it up and let those two play in every Grand Slam final.
For drop-by tennis fans, this is pretty accurate. Having these two in every GS final would be great for the sport. Unfortunately for the time being, Rafa has not yet proven himself on the hard courts at Melbourne or the US Open and as of late, that has left the door open for Novak Djokovic, a guy who could find himself right up there with these two guys.
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Late getting in here, but have to agree that was the best tennis I've seen just about ever. I was just glad I had desk work to do today so I could stay indoors and watch the whole thing. Simply awesome, and the best player of the day won.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

RACK R. Nadal, the new unofficial #1 in the world!

[Carlin]RACK table tennis without the table![/Carlin]

RACK my prediction!

RACK trev earning her yerk!
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I loved when John McEnroe asked Roger for a hug. :)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

L45B wrote:Easily the best Wimbledon final at least since Ivanisevic beat Rafter. But throw in the fact that this may eventually go down as one of the great rivalries in sports, today's final was some of the highest level of tennis I've ever seen and I've been watching tennis for twenty years.
Shoalzie wrote:...they're really the only two watchable players on the men's circuit. The rest of the dudes should just hang it up and let those two play in every Grand Slam final.
For drop-by tennis fans, this is pretty accurate. Having these two in every GS final would be great for the sport. Unfortunately for the time being, Rafa has not yet proven himself on the hard courts at Melbourne or the US Open and as of late, that has left the door open for Novak Djokovic, a guy who could find himself right up there with these two guys.

Aren't we all drop-by tennis fans right now? We're not exactly being blessed to a golden age of tennis. I don't know if Federer is going to go down as the greatest player of all time but he's on pace to pass Sampras for most Grand Slam titles unless we might have seen the passing of the torch to Nadal yesterday. Say what you want about Djokovic or any other mens player but to me, the undisputed #1 and #2 in the men's circuit played yesterday and did nothing but further drove home the point they are the two best. Those two have now played in more Grand Slam finals head-to-head than any other two players in the open era and this one was definitely best of the previous five.

The Americans don't really have much to offer with Roddick not really living up to expectations after he won his US Open a few years ago and Blake is a nice player but isn't a threat to the elite players on the circuit. I watched quite a bit of tennis when I was younger and we were able to watch several very good American players...Sampras, Agassi, Chang, Courier and you can throw Todd Martin into that group as well. On the international side, you had different guys have runs of a couple years where they were in the mix for multiple Grand Slam titles and then pretty much disappeared or fell off rapidly...Rafter, Ivanisevic, Kuerten, Kafelnikov, Safin, and Hewitt.

It doesn't appear we have nearly as many true contenders on the men's circuit. You can pretty much pencil Federer and/or Nadal in any of the Grand Slam finals for the forseeable future. The fact that these are international players dominating the game, you aren't going to get the same passion about it as tennis got during the 90s with the group of Americans that I mentioned and then back in the glory days in the 70s and 80s. I don't know what kind of viewership that match got yesterday but I'd like to think any sports fan that appreciates a good rivalry and watching the best in the world in a given event, that should've been enjoyable to them yesterday. That match was the best sports viewing from this holiday weekend by far.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Shoalz nailed it.

Those rivals growing up between Connors and Mac and then they were replaced by Chang, Sampras, Courier, and Agassi definitely peaked the interest here in the states. I'm sure if Roddick and Blake were playing at the level of Federer and Rafa, then we'd be watching a lot more tennis.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Are they replaying that match anywhere? It wasn't listed on the Tennis Channel. My Tivo cut off the end. Goddam rain delays threw off even my added time.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mister Bushice wrote:Are they replaying that match anywhere? It wasn't listed on the Tennis Channel. My Tivo cut off the end. Goddam rain delays threw off even my added time.
ESPN Classic tonight. I believe it's 7:00 PM Eastern.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Mister Bushice wrote:Are they replaying that match anywhere? It wasn't listed on the Tennis Channel. My Tivo cut off the end. Goddam rain delays threw off even my added time.
That had to be frustrating. I almost ran into the same problem. I set my DVR for an extra hour, which wouldn't have been enough. When I was watching it and the first rain delay hit, I set up another recording for two more hours.
"Keys, woman!"
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Yep, I added an hour, thinking that'd be plenty, but I wasn't home to fix it. :brad:

ESPN Classic. Thanks.