Dallas

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Dallas

Post by Goober McTuber »

OK, we’re heading down to Dallas for a few days this fall. Should be staying close to Texas stadium, but will probably rent a car so we can see other parts of the city, like a visit to Dealey Plaza. What other places should be on our list? Any particularly outstanding restaurants? Anybody going to the October 5 game against Cincy that wants to invite us to their tailgate party? (I could bring brats.)
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Re: Dallas

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Goober McTuber wrote:I could bring brats.
Do yourself a favor and leave your great, great grandchildren in Wisconsin, Goobs… no one gives a fuck.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I could bring brats.
Do yourself a favor and leave your great, great grandchildren in Wisconsin, Goobs… no one gives a fuck.
I’ll bet Tardowen might have a different opinion on that one.

Hey, smack is welcome here, no matter how lame. Some honest helpful replies mixed in would be appreciated, as well.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Go check out how the new Cowboys Stadium is looking and get back to us.
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Check it out yourself:

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Don't stay too close to Texas stadium. It's not in what you would call a "nice" part of town. Find a place several miles away and take a shuttle.

A place I stayed had velvet paintings, feral cats in the Lobby, and gun shots in the parking lot. We headed home to Houston at 2:00am.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

That new 'boys stadium looks pretty sharp. Like the way they did the sunroof thing to make games on a bright sunny day nearly unwatchable on tv from the roof cameras, just like their old stadium.

What's that place gonna cost and who's footing the bill?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

I haven't been in Dallas in nearly two decades...Is the West End still decent?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Just drove through downtown on Friday afternoon en route to SA, and back on Sunday. Some of the museums looked pretty decent.

Just avoid the south side. Plano and the northern suburbs might as well be Overland Park, Kan., or much of Orange County. Same strip development and chain restaurant shit, different street names.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Been a couple of years... but there was a great steak house in Plano...Kirbys I think it was...
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Headhunter wrote:Don't stay too close to Texas stadium. It's not in what you would call a "nice" part of town. Find a place several miles away and take a shuttle.

A place I stayed had velvet paintings, feral cats in the Lobby, and gun shots in the parking lot. We headed home to Houston at 2:00am.
See, this is the kind of info that is invaluable. I've been finding cheap/reasonable hotels across the street from the stadium, and now I know why they get one star ratings. What about Springhill Suites by Marriott Dallas @ NW Hwy/I35E? That's 2 and a 1/2 miles away and a three star? Reasonable neighborhood?
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Addison is a nice place to stay. It's on the north side of town near the Dallas Galleria. Lots of restaurants, hotels, and a golf course every other block.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Rack Fu wrote:Addison is a nice place to stay. It's on the north side of town near the Dallas Galleria. Lots of restaurants, hotels, and a golf course every other block.
How far from the stadium and the airport?
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

8-10 miles.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Restaurants are good, golf courses not so important on this trip. I also heard there were good blues clubs in Dallas. So the question is, if you're arriving in Dallas around noon on Friday, leaving about the same time on Monday, going to a late afternoon game on Sunday, are you better off staying at a hotel closer to the airport/stadium, or a hotel closer to the other attractions and shuttling/taxiing to the game and back to the airport?
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Rack Fu wrote:Addison is a nice place to stay. It's on the north side of town near the Dallas Galleria. Lots of restaurants, hotels, and a golf course every other block.
In other words, Plano.

Thank Rack Fu in advance for all the Applebees and Chilis' and Red Lobsters, not to mention the usual fare (McDonalds, BKs, Taco Bells, along with some office buildings and apartment complexes).

Great job in directions, Fu. Next, you'll tell Goobs to bring a map. Keep on keepin us safe, bro.

But by all means, please don't let anyone interrupt your next golf session.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

RadioFan wrote:
In other words, Plano.

Thank Rack Fu in advance for all the Applebees and Chilis' and Red Lobsters, not to mention the usual fare (McDonalds, BKs, Taco Bells, along with some office buildings and apartment complexes).

Great job in directions, Fu. Next, you'll tell Goobs to bring a map. Keep on keepin us safe, bro.

Spot on for Addison.

If you're going to be in town that long, I'd stay close to west end. It's about 10 miles from Texas Stadium.It's been a few years since I've been there (7 maybe) but lot's of restaurants and bars. Dick's last resort is a pretty cool hang. But a lot of it is walking distance from each other, so you can bounce around. Some shopping for the lady. Nice safe hotels in the area, and no douche banging on the door next door yelling let me in Consuela.

Really depends on if you want a cameo on Cops, though. Your call.

If it were me, I'd stay close to the west end and make Texas stadium the drive rather than close to the stadium and anything else cool be a drive.

Six Flags in Arlington is cool if you're into amusement parks. Check out the rangers schedule and see if they're in town on that Saturday. Fall ball games at the Park in Arlington are pretty deece as well.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Headhunter,

I really appreciate the input. Makes sense now that I think about it, and we’ll have plenty of time on Monday to make it to the airport. I plugged in the Dick’s Last Resort street address in Expedia looking for hotels and came up with the West End Hotel and the Magnolia as reasonably priced hotels, though one of the reviewers said the Magnolia was in a “barren locale” and that there wasn’t much in walking distance. Would the Sheraton be a reasonable location?
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Wes ... 1&ct=image" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then look for businesses "hotels"

I talked to a buddy who just moved from Dallas. Here's his skinny...

You want to be north of 30 and east of 35.

Pony up and stay at the Hyatt. you'll be right in the middle of everything.

If not, there's lot's of rail around the area, so you can get around pretty easy.

Check out Dealy plaza, and go have sex on the grassy knoll. That's where Kennedy got his!

There should be hotel Shuttles to the game, and they do a bunch of shit for Cowboy games.

Expedia has this as a deal...

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qs ... 8959951171&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best steaks in town. Maybe Texas...

http://www.iiiforks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bring your wallet.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Thanks again for the info. I was looking at the West End Hotel, but the reviews are all over the place. Some think it’s great, some say it was the worst hotel they ever stayed in and smelled of sewage. Hyatt reviews are a little more consistent, but they won’t honor my AARP card. Bastards.
Charles De Mar
Elwood

Post by Charles De Mar »

What part of TTTown are the gnignog strip clubs at?

sincerely,
B. Picccles
yumyumsaladbar wrote:Hey Pickle. I think we're going to be friends
Do you know when you have a wank in the tub and the spunk gets all rubbery and floats to the surface? - thats pretty much like your posts on this forum. You seem to me like like some sort of rubberized jism ....floating on a sea of soapy piss water
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Diego in Seattle wrote:I haven't been in Dallas in nearly two decades...Is the West End still decent?
You were probably in Oak Lawn Avenue for most of your trip.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

RadioFan wrote:
In other words, Plano.

No, Addison is a nice place. Lots of good eats there. I lived in the Frisco and McKinney suberbs and concur on the strip malls and chain restaurants, but there were also a lot of nice places to eat there too.

In Addison, Trulucks Steak and Stone Crab kicks ass. Great sushi jont in Addison Circle too. BLue GOose Cantina is great Tex-Mex there. Texas Land and Cattle, while not in Addison, is also a good place that is relatively cheap but really good. Lotta Dallas Cowboys go there.

If you hit the bar scene, I like going down Greenville (there is a Blue Goose Cantina here too). Good beer place called the Ginger Man. West End is lame as shit. Yeah, that's where the AA Center is and some chain food places. Landry's is there which is good as well as Spaghetti Warehouse, but not much else. That is where Dealey PLaza is too. Once again, not much to see.

If you're into museums, then you're a dork. Fuck culture. Not exactly sure when the season ends, but the AA baseball games are nice to go to. They are called the Frisco Roughriders. Very nice ballpark and not a bad seat in the house. Of course, that's probably 45-60 minutes including traffic from where the stadium will be, but fun to do.

All in all, good place to live and raise a family. Some good eats, but severely lacking in the entertainment once you get past the golf, lakes and sporting events. Enjoy the game because you'll be pretty bored the rest of the time. There is a horse track near there though that I always enjoyed going to. Even if the horses aren't racing, they have an off-track betting area that is a good time killer.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Race track has 31 racing days from September 26 - November 29. The place is very nice. Not a run down track you find in a lot of places.

http://www.lonestarpark.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

OK, now who am I supposed to believe? One guy is saying that Addison is all chain restaurants. The next guy is saying that West End is all chain restaurants. One guy says stay in the West End. Another guy says the West End is lame. Anybody actually living in Dallas right now?

Which Texas Land and Cattle? There's two in Dallas.
Last edited by Goober McTuber on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

You really don't strike me as the adventurous type, Goobs. How's about just exploring the damn place and figuring out what's cool/what sucks on your own?
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

One guy probably considers Bennigan's and Applebee's to be "fine dining".
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I lived in Dallas for 5 years from 1999-2004. I have been back quite a few times to visit friends. I lived in Dallas as a single dude and as a married dude. Pretty much seen it all.

Addison has a lot of chain places as does every other place in Dallas and any other city not named Buttfuck Nowhere. Addison has some good eats. Not as many bars like you'll see down Greenville Ave., but you just want to visit Greenville, not stay there.

West End has Landry's (good), Dicks (fun but not good), Morton's (good) Cadillac Bar (good Mex) and Landry's (good).

Other than that, it is Hooters, Hard Rock, On the Border, Joe's Crab Shack, etc. which I find sub-par. You're only staying a couple days so yeah, you could eat good for a couple days. Other than that though, I find the West End very uninteresting. All these places are a stone's throw from one another.

Another fun attraction is Billy Bob's. You can go to Fort Worth and see the horses and lots of nut-huggin wrangler wearin' cowboys. It is Irie's heaven. It is fun to do once, but after that it is pretty boring.

If you could give a general idea of what you are interested in, maybe I can tell you more. Is it just you and the Mrs? Kids? Their ages? Etc. Would help a lot to help figure out what would best suit you.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Goober McTuber wrote:Which Texas Land and Cattle? There's two in Dallas.
The one on Technology is in Addison. The one on Lemmon is near the West End.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Which Texas Land and Cattle? There's two in Dallas.
The one on Technology is in Addison. The one on Lemmon is near the West End.
Where do the Cowboy players hang out? My wife's hoping to get lucky.

In answer to your question about our group, there’s six of us, all adults. Everyone wants to go see Dealey Plaza. If there’s good blues clubs, that would be a huge plus. Most cities have a couple/few places that are supposed to be must-see attractions. San Antonio has the Riverwalk, San Francisco has Fisherman’s Wharf, Portland has the house where Dinsdale was born, etc. Just wondering what Dallas has that we don’t want to miss.

Definitely looking for three decent restaurants for dinners, good lunch suggestions are also welcome. BTW, I’ve been to Dick’s Last Resort in Chicago, and once is enough. If I feel the need to be insulted by my lessers, I’ll come in here and start a thread.
Last edited by Goober McTuber on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:You really don't strike me as the adventurous type, Goobs. How's about just exploring the damn place and figuring out what's cool/what sucks on your own?
I went to Dallas a couple of times before for work. I did trade shows, spent the whole day on my feet, and didn’t always feel the need to explore. I typically ate close to or in the hotel that I was staying in. The first time was probably close to 20 years ago. I explored a little then and the only thing I remember is the Million Dollar Club.

I also went there about 10 years ago. I remember taking the time to visit Dealey Plaza as it was close by. This time, it’s strictly for pleasure, so yeah, I’m a bit more up for seeing stuff and searching out decent local grub.

It’s a big fucking city. I’ve got maybe two days total to kill. I figured a little guidance might be extremely valuable. I don't care to waste time finding out what sucks. If I go somewhere for a week, I’m much more inclined to do some exploring. Though I still find it a logical concept to ask someone who knows the area for ideas.

I’m sure you’re a very adventuresome guy, Magoo, and when you visit LA you’ll probably bump into Pete Carroll one night in Watts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

e wrote:you're all under the assumption that the old fart will be able to rent a car. i don't think any company rents the mercury gran marquis anymore.
I take small comfort in the fact that I am still younger than Wolfman or Luther. It wouldn’t be a Grand Marquis by the way. More like a Dodge Dart wagon.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

It's been 6 years since I moved from there so it's changed a little bit. But Frisco's right.........the locals NEVER go to the West End. It's really for tourists staying downtown. When back in town, I usually stay at the Radisson on Central across from SMU. Not as glitzy as the Hyatt but very comfortable and right in the middle of town. Dallas is a great place to live but history and attractions are lacking. But if you want to go to a ball game, party hard, go to fine restaurants, I'll stack it up to any city any where. Per capita, there are more restaurants there than New York. And they're all good! Want a good breakfast...cheap? Taco Cabana...no joke. Get the Eggs Mexicana Combo w/2 extra tortillas. Great cheap breakfast. If you want the best steak, go to Bob's Steak and Chop House. Now that ain't cheap. Good chance you might see radio legend Norm Hitzges or hockey stud Mike Modano there. Want a great restaurant with zero atmosphere but incredible food? The Loon....on Lemmon between Cole and McKinney. Nothing to look at but the food is incredible. I go there every time I'm back in town. Any food/drink on Greenville is a good. These are spots where the locals go. Mezcan? Just about anywhere, really. Just up the street (McKinney) from the Loon is Primo's. Frisco's correct on the Blue Goose. And I liked the Blue Mesa, just south of the Northpark Mall (great mall if you want to shop...better than Galleria). Also, if it's still there, Cuba Libre (on Henderson) was outstanding last time I went...Cuban grub. One more....go to Ft. Worth and go to my favorite of all, Joe T. Garcia's. Ask for the "family dinner for _______" (however many are in your party). That and the everclear margaritas and you'll be happy. That place is awesome, and Ft. Worth has a better downtown scene than Dallas. Good luck.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:You really don't strike me as the adventurous type, Goobs. How's about just exploring the damn place and figuring out what's cool/what sucks on your own?
I’m sure you’re a very adventuresome guy, Magoo, and when you visit LA you’ll probably bump into Pete Carroll one night in Watts.
pretty strong words coming from a loser who pretty much exposed himself as a midol crushing vagina in this thread. i haven't seen anyone litterly kick their own ass up and down a thread since dinsdale left the shore for the sea. jesus christ, MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND YOU GO DDAMN PUSSY. i know you've never traveled as far south as the illinois border and all, but i've seen packs of women make up their minds faster about which shoes are cutest compared to your indecisiveness and pandering. instead of using these hotel rating sites where it's nothing but douchebags (such as yourself) rating websites on a whim or on first impression, how about picking up a fucking FODOR'S, i.e. a professional travel publication (they've only been published since the dawn of time) and getting a professional viewpoint on where to stay and where to hang? i'd trust their ratings over a bunch of bleeding pussies venting on a hotel rating website, and i'm not referring to the locals on this board. hotel rating websites are generally a waste of time (perfect for goobs) because they are always extreme viewpoints. someone got screwed and is pissed, or someone had a decent night and thinks the place is 5 stars.

here's my take, goobs, you FAT FUCKING RETARD: you should stay at the hyatt at reunion plaza, and at night, take a walk on commerce west underneath 35W and try to meet some of the locals so you can get dan vogled on a good night.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Goober McTuber wrote:
e wrote:you're all under the assumption that the old fart will be able to rent a car. i don't think any company rents the mercury gran marquis anymore.
I take small comfort in the fact that I am still younger than Wolfman or Luther. It wouldn’t be a Grand Marquis by the way. More like a Dodge Dart wagon.
Saw one of those the other day and about died laughing...or from the exhaust, one of the two.

While in high school I used to do my summers up at my Grandparents' house near Lake Tahoe helping my Grandfather fall timber for firewood and work construction for my Uncle's company. While there my vehicle to drive was my Grandma's '73 Dodge Dart. Thing was, even with my windows down and talk radio blaring from the AM-only stereo, I didn't seem to attract any chicks. Weird...
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

RadioFan wrote:
In other words, Plano.

As Frisco already mentioned, Addison has its share of good non-chain restaurants, as well as the typical chains. The Blue Goose was the one that immediately popped into my head. There was also a good Mongolian BBQ place, an excellent Thai restaurant. Sure, you have your Olive Gardens and Chilis but you alos have some authentic shit.

If the dude is looking for a place where he won't end up in a crime scene, Addison is a good place to be. It's close to the airport and close to the stadium.

What directions did he ask for? He asked me how far and I answered. I'm pretty sure he was going to consult a map on at some point prior to his trip. Next time I'll be sure to put a TripTik in the mail for him.

Jeez.
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Check out the Deep Ellum area, close to the west end but more fun. No chain restaurants, many little places with live music going on, good streetlife...basically a bunch of little dives all within walking distance.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Ang wrote:Deep Ellum
I've got the Deep Ellum blues.

I went to a deece strip club in Arlington, it was almost across the highway from 6 Flags, a place called Lace. It was a long time ago, but it seemed like a keeper.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Took
Goober McTuber wrote: a Dodge Dart
a '74
My mother left a yard
but I needed one more
by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:30 am
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:

Right. Because unlike you, I actually respond to Vic. He's a funny poster
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:you should stay at the hyatt at reunion plaza
OK, that’s another vote for the Hyatt. So Frodo publishes a travel magazine in addition to his web design business? Busy motherfucker.

Thanks for the tip on Deep Ellum, Ang.

And BTW, Screwball, try going to that Frodo website and get some good information about Dallas. They offer one book about Texas in general, and from the reviews I’ve been able to find about the book, it’s not exactly a Fodor's Gold Guide. It’s also four years old. Keep shooting off your purty mouth about things you litterly know nothing about.
Last edited by Goober McTuber on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.