Time for a new rig.

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Time for a new rig.

Post by Dinsdale »

I bought a couple of cars in my life. That makes me an expert on automotive mechanics and engineering.

Sin,
This Thread
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Hi, Cletidus.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't claim to be an expert on Japanese vehicles. Paul shouldn't either since he readily admits he won't go anywhere near one.

Dumbass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Honda had a plant on Swindon? Will wonder never cease?

Sin,
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Remember the sterling? Honda thought it would be a good idea to have limeys make Acuras.

Turns out, it wasn't such a good idea afterall.

Appparently being sober while bolting stuff together helps. I think it's in the 6 sigma book.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Dinsdale wrote:I bought a couple of cars in my life. That makes me an expert on automotive mechanics and engineering.

Sin,
This Thread
I've never, nor will I ever, claim to be an automotive expert. I'm probably as mechanically inept as anyone on (or off) this board. But I do drive a lot of rental cars, which again makes me an expert at, well, nothing, but one need not be an expert to form a general opinion about quality. In my admittedly amateur opinion, cars produced by American companies still have a way to go before they catch up to those made by the slopes. American rental cars exude cheapness, judged primarily by interior appointments. The mechanical workmanship and engineering may be on a par (I'm not qualified to judge), but the materials and parts used for the non-mechanical portions of Jap cars seem to be far superior to those of American products.

One thing to remember is that we're not talking in absolute terms here. I'm sure there are some American cars that are "better" than some comparable Jap cars. But, in general, first impressions about quality differences between the two are such that it's easy to understand why most folks would consider Jap cars to be better.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

One of the few chain emails I've ever seen that made me laugh.
*A Modern Parable*

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American
company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe
race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced
long and hard to reach their peak performance before
the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.
The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.

A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was, the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.
Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.
Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team’s management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the ‘Rowing Team Quality First Program,’ with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year’s racing team was out-sourced to India
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:The quality of the materials used in the interior is another easy way to spot cheapness. Hard plastics are crap. They're all over most American cars...and some lower end Japanese vehicles.

Until recent years, Toyota was absolutely famous for two things -- building the best, most durable powertrains on the planet (apart from their early 4-speed automatics, which were about the same junk as everyone else's early OD's)...

And installing that wonderful powertrain in the biggest piece of crap known to mankind.

By far the biggest POS shell of a car.

They have improved quite a bit in recent years... and their relative price on the market has gone up accordingly.

You're painting with an awfully broad brush down a slippery slope that may lead to other cliches.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote: Say what, Dins?

Wow. The naive is strong in this one.

I notice your links didn't include any figures on how much advertising space Toyota has purchased in the NY Times.

Or are you one of those people who believe that car reviews and advertising dollars aren't in direct proportion?

AS I SAID, Toyota's non-powertrain components have improved leaps and bounds in recent years. I could provide testimonnials from multiple Toyota owners who will tell you that apart from the excellent powertrain, it's the biggest piece of junk vehicle they've ever owned... except they don't post here. One of my bestest buddies still owns and drives his fine-running Toyo truck... although the window regulators, door latches, and just about everything else in the "fit and finish" department quit looooong ago. Didn't stop him from buying another, a 2004(?) Highlander for the fancy-work-ride, since the last one was dependable, despite being annoying. And I think the interior is still functioning (although that one is babied).

I'm nor sure which part of "I've professionally repaired literally thousands and thousands of vehicles" you didn't understand. I'm not making this shit up -- it's based uopn more experience than a layman would get in a thousand years, and is certainly a much more accurate representation than some already-told-what-to-think automotive reviewer's opinion from driving a brand new car.

I also haven't worked in that field for several years now, hence my abstaining from making any comments on what I believe are the best-built/most reliable late-model vehicles today*. I no longer have the objectivity to do so. My whole point was, that the prevailing consumer opinion means exactly jaques-shit, and has always been based on perception than reality. The Average Joe is a complete dumbass, and his opinions often reflect exactly that.

And when I did have what I feel was enough knowledge and experience to pass such judgements, Subarus were king. Hondas got high marks, as well. Of course I drive an old Chev truck (that the fit/finish/interior stuff is just fine in, thank you very much. Or at least the parts you can see through the dirt, anyway). Also got a Ford car sitting in the driveway. Before that -- a 68 Suburban for work and rugged shit, and an old Subaru for driving around... that Sube must have had about 300K or more when I retired it... and I don't think I paid more than a couple hundred for it. Fucker got over 40MPG on the highway, too, making it ideal for coast trips... until that time it didn't quite get back (which led to the most epic day of fishing for sea-run cutthroat trout ever while awaiting rescue, and ended up with a pile of mushrooms to boot). I guess I'm preaching the wine while drinking the water, I suppose.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:1995: Interior Features
Like all Toyotas, our 4Runner was attractively finished inside with high-quality cloth upholstery.

http://www.autobuyguide.com/1995/12-aut ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Odd. I even occasionally drive a 93 truck, and it's the worst-built interior I've EVER seen. Must have been some radical changes to 95. Oh, wait... no, there wasn't.

But see, when it was brand new, everything was still stuck together pretty well... then, it got some miles on it...

See how that works, Einstein? It's actually kind of part of the definition of "reliability."
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Dinsdale wrote:...and an old Subaru for driving around...
So... you're a... lesbian?
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Dinsdale wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:1995: Interior Features
Like all Toyotas, our 4Runner was attractively finished inside with high-quality cloth upholstery.

http://www.autobuyguide.com/1995/12-aut ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Odd. I even occasionally drive a 93 truck, and it's the worst-built interior I've EVER seen. Must have been some radical changes to 95. Oh, wait... no, there wasn't.

But see, when it was brand new, everything was still stuck together pretty well... then, it got some miles on it...

See how that works, Einstein? It's actually kind of part of the definition of "reliability."
Every carmaker has a choice on where to spend their money. Toyota chooses to produce vehicles with higher quality engines, but with spartan interiors. American carmakers (in general) have more comfortable seats and more interior features, but powertrains which don't last as long as Toyotas and other "imports".

I had a '97 Corolla that I used as a commuter car for five years. I drove the shit out of that thing, maintained it well and all it did was purr along. Great running car. But the seats were so terrible that if I ever went on a drive longer than about an hour I'd have to shuffle around in the seat to keep comfortable. And God forbid I make the six hour roadie to NoCal to visit the parents... My ass would be asleep by the time I reached the Fresno area and both cheeks would be practically inconsolable by the time I got there. Those seats were like freaking concrete.

One of the reasons that I ended up getting a Honda as my next commuter car is that it has all the positive engine aspects as a Toyota, but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable.
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cuda wrote: So... you're a... lesbian?

It was before the proliferation of the Outback. In the Good Old Days, the Sub was the trademark of Deadheads whose VW Bus was broken.

BTW-for the umpteenth time -- don't try and tell U&L guy about lezbo trends. Trust me, I see them as they evolve, since every dyke and her sister treats this place as Dyke Mecca. It's like the Lezapalooza Festival in Portland these days.

Although I believe they're in the early stages of trending away from the Wrangler (the true official vehicle of the bulldyke).

Matter of fact, the last time I was in a chick's Outback, I fucked the holy hell out of her in it (until we moved inside, of course). She did live on Mt Hood where it snows a lot, so maybe she was invoking the Climate-Exemption from the Required Sexual Orientation of Outback Drivers that each must sign upon purchase.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Sudden Sam wrote: The interior of a Honda Civic is far nicer than that of a lot of high-priced American cars.
Fuck, I cant believe I stopped laughing long enough to respond to this useless tripe.

Honda civics are the fucking epitome of cheap, horseshit vehicles. Honda basically churned thier own slightly better version of the fucking Yugo out, and it shows everywhere but the drivetrain.

Granted, both of my younger brothers (yes, even the Ford dealership mechanic) drives a newer civic.....but only because of the gas mileage they get as oppossed to what thier beautiful cherried 68 SS Camaro and 69 SS Chevelle garner MPG-wise. But even thier fully restored interiors on the old school muscle (one brought back to original stock form, the other modernized with eletronic everything) are light fucking years better than anything Honda puts out in the fucking pathetic Civic line.

As we speak, the Dealership tech brother has his civic for sale........the main reason? Because he cant live with the cheap, falling apart and now squeaking interior in that mini shitbox. He's currently looking at a few different Lincoln car lines.

Oh, and here's a telling video as well:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ford- ... 1555120643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, Toyota interiors are fucking pathetically bad and worse than Honda's laughable efforts.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Raydah James wrote:...and worse than Honda's laughable efforts.
...which is why I ponied up some extra $$ to get a fully-loaded Accord. Comfortable heated leather seats are a godsend after those bricks I sat on in my Corolla. Only downside is that the Honda is a V6, so it probably gets about 25MPG...but the extra power, especially when passing or getting the hell out of the way of an 18-wheeler, is something that I love.

My Corolla, even for all of it's faults, did get about 35MPG, which is why I bought it in the first place.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

OCmike wrote: Every carmaker has a choice on where to spend their money. Toyota chooses to produce vehicles with higher quality engines, but with spartan interiors. American carmakers (in general) have more comfortable seats and more interior features, but powertrains which don't last as long as Toyotas and other "imports".

Wrong again.

Try knowing what the fuck you're talking about next time before hitting submit.

Unless you've been knee deep in multitudes of different types of cars over your life like Dins, Paul, and Myself-then you should shut the fuck up and continue to play the role of "Dumbfuck Customer the Dealership will be dryfucking" instead of the "slept at a Holiday Inn express last night" dipshit because you've owned a slope car or 2.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

OCmike wrote:
Raydah James wrote:...and worse than Honda's laughable efforts.
...which is why I ponied up some extra $$ to get a fully-loaded Accord. Comfortable heated leather seats are a godsend after those bricks I sat on in my Corolla. Only downside is that the Honda is a V6, so it probably gets about 25MPG...but the extra power, especially when passing or getting the hell out of the way of an 18-wheeler, is something that I love.

My Corolla, even for all of it's faults, did get about 35MPG, which is why I bought it in the first place.
The higher priced lines in the Honda are certainly worth the extra money.....and are actually pretty nice.

The lobotamized chimps trying to pass off the mid to lower-tiered lines as something other than horseshit are the ones making me laugh heartily right now. But the same applies to American vehicles as well-spend a little more, and you'll get a little more interior-wise.

Mike, how much did you drop for your accord?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Raydah James wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote: The interior of a Honda Civic is far nicer than that of a lot of high-priced American cars.
Fuck, I cant believe I stopped laughing long enough to respond to this useless tripe.

Honda civics are the fucking epitome of cheap, horseshit vehicles. Honda basically churned thier own slightly better version of the fucking Yugo out, and it shows everywhere but the drivetrain.

Somebody gets it.

But America-bashing became cool at some point. If all you've driven for years are Toyotas, then Honda interiors don't seem so bad.

P-E-R-C-E-P-T-I-O-N.

Granted, both of my younger brothers (yes, even the Ford dealership mechanic) drives a newer civic.....but only because of the gas mileage they get as oppossed to what thier beautiful cherried 68 SS Camaro and 69 SS Chevelle garner MPG-wise. But even thier fully restored interiors on the old school muscle (one brought back to original stock form, the other modernized with eletronic everything) are light fucking years better than anything Honda puts out in the fucking pathetic Civic line.

My old buddy is now a reformed mechanic. He's been tooling around in a 96(?) Accord with about a buhzillion miles on it. Great runner, good milage... but he wouldn't even for one second try and compare the interior and other non-essential parts to the stable-full of Buicks he's inhereted from his again family members.

BTW-he's got a 67 Firebird sitting in the driveway, too (dude's got some cars... a bunch. Cracks me up, since he lives in a really nice, high dollar neighborhood, and has god-knows-how-many cars out there. And a decrepit old tow truck. The Firebird was coming along slowly but surely, until he fell that tree on it... and oh, fuck, did I laugh. "You're about as good a lumberjack as you are a bodyman, bro."

Another old bud of mine has (since James will appreciate this) a real-deal 70 Chevelle SS LS6 car... one of ~3700 of them. Unfortunately, the original mill was long gone when he got it, as was the original Rock Crusher. But they were replaced with a big-port 468 and some tricked out straight-geared 4spd. With like 3.55's in the butt. And of course, the absolute trademark of the LS6 4-speed cars -- a twisted unibody that they got in the first 100 miles. Homeboy spent a mint restoring it to as original as possible (although with the original motor gone, that's not as cool a deal). Actually opted to not go with an LS6 replacement, since it wasn't going to be original anyway, and the guys at the performance engine shop really preached about the lack of streetability of the LS6/LS7. But it's a ripper, by "old technology" standards. Haven't seen him in a little while -- the car used to live in Oregon, and he lived in Alaska. Lotta dough for something he drives a few miles every couple of years.

Nice, nice, nice ride. Smackoholic should buy one of those.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Raydah James wrote: Unless you've been knee deep in multitudes of different types of cars over your life like Dins, Paul, and Myself-then you should shut the fuck up and continue to play the role of "Dumbfuck Customer the Dealership will be dryfucking" instead of the "slept at a Holiday Inn express last night" dipshit because you've owned a slope car or 2.

Yeah, that's it.

Or in other words, if you don't get the joke about the UAW union guy standing at the end of the GM assembly lines with the grinder making sure the edges are sharp, then shut your yap.

Oh, and while I think Toyota makes great powertrains (the 22R being the pinnacle), they should include a Costco-sized case of replacement valve cover gaskets with every Toyota sold.

Jiminy -- you'd think the A-Rabs were paying them to coat the Earth's surface with a thin layer of oil.

I mean, my Chev goes through a valve-cover gasket here and there, but I can change it in about 3 minutes.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Dinsdale wrote: Another old bud of mine has (since James will appreciate this) a real-deal 70 Chevelle SS LS6 car... one of ~3700 of them. Unfortunately, the original mill was long gone when he got it,
How many Kilos did he have to sling to get his hands on such a slice of automotive legend?
Rock Crusher.
RACK

But they were replaced with a big-port 468 and some tricked out straight-geared 4spd. With like 3.55's in the butt. And of course, the absolute trademark of the LS6 4-speed cars -- a twisted unibody that they got in the first 100 miles. Homeboy spent a mint restoring it to as original as possible (although with the original motor gone, that's not as cool a deal). Actually opted to not go with an LS6 replacement, since it wasn't going to be original anyway, and the guys at the performance engine shop really preached about the lack of streetability of the LS6/LS7. But it's a ripper, by "old technology" standards.
Ah yes, the twisted unibody.....seen a couplafew those in my time. Nothing a little brute force cant straighten right out. Too bad about not having the numbers match-that fucking car could literally fetch well into the six figure range (surely seven if Barrett Jackson were involved).

Sounds like an insanely kick ass ride, although with that amount of power i'd have to throw 4.11's in that bitch.....the launch with that setup would have your neck hurting fiercer than a Rumplewife romp if you werent ready for it.

:D
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Raydah James wrote: How many Kilos did he have to sling to get his hands on such a slice of automotive legend?
Funny you mention that. I'll leave it there.

It was 1988 or thereabouts, so I'm guessing the statute of limitations is up.

That actually kinda sucked. It originally belonged to a guy he grew up with. He constantly offered more and more to buy it from his buddy. One day, completely out of the blue, dude called him up and told him to scrounge up some cash and come get the car. My friend initially thought Jay had come to his senses and was doing the right thing, since he had other cars. Wrong. He shot himself that night. The car has some sentimental/guilt value, too.

Those younger years are sure easy on the psyche, eh?

Sounds like an insanely kick ass ride, although with that amount of power i'd have to throw 4.11's in that bitch.....i'd imagine the launch with that setup would have your neck hurting something fierce if you werent ready for it.

Oh, it draws a crowd everywhere it goes.

It launches just fine with the 3.55 set. How much farther you want the uni to twist? 3.55 is pretty deep for a street big block.

Another buddy (who moved to Dallas or thereabouts not too long ago) has a 70 Camaro RS. But it isn't restored, and has the modernization thing (hasn't gone to digital injection yet, though). Is still flying the original LT-1. And it's got the factory 4.11's/4spd. I think he was getting it into the low/mid 13's on a really hot day with slicks (whatever the correction factor is for Woodburn OR on a crazy hot day). With the 4.11 set, first gear isn't a really time-comsuming deal.

Recently had it appraised at $37K, or something like that.
Last edited by Dinsdale on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Dinsdale wrote: I mean, my Chev goes through a valve-cover gasket here and there, but I can change it in about 3 minutes.
Thats why Jap cars are more reliable-because they dont have valve cover thingys or gaskets like these shit American company cars do.

Regards,

Every dumbfuck in this thread who's been inhaling gook jizz furiously.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Dinsdale wrote: It launches just fine with the 3.55 set. How much farther you want the uni to twist? 3.55 is pretty deep for a street big block.
Yeah, but its nothing a few subframe connectors and a trunk brace wouldnt be able to solve......you know, kinda like when Rumple overstretches the Reigns onto his Bison before shagging so his skeletor ass body wont end up looking like a bag of Captain Crunch afterward.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I was about to make a Rumplewife joke involving slicks, a bleach-box, and 60-foot times...

But I threw up in my mouth a little when I tried to type it, so I stopped.

She brings my stall speed up to infinity.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Dinsdale wrote:I was about to make a Rumplewife joke involving slicks, a bleach-box, and 60-foot times...

But I threw up in my mouth a little when I tried to type it, so I stopped.

She brings my stall speed up to infinity.

I'm almost certain the last time you and a chick were in the same car together, there was a plexi-glass divider involved.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sam... just let me know when it is you think you'll stop looking like a complete fucking moron.

Let's compare resumes...

Dins, et al. : Performed professional repairs on literally thousands of vehicles, just about every make and model you can imagine

Sam: Pushed a switch on a couple

Yeah, I'd say "insane" is a good word.

"B-b-b-b-b-but... I sat in some."

That was really the best you could do? Really?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:My Ranger's dash pieces didn't fit when I drove it off the lot brand new.

Uhm... Sam...Uhm...

Don't know what year your Ranger was, but please tell me you knew that the Ranger is, for all intents and purposes, a Jap product since 1993, the last 16 years.

Please tell me you knew?

Eject, bro... seriously. Your trolljob sucks.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

My Geo Prism didn't have very good fit and finish. That means American cars suck.

Sin,
Sudden You-Know-Who
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Man, those Geo Metros were sure a rattle trap. It's due to the poor quality of American car makers.

Sin,
Suddenly Stupid
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Dinsdale wrote:"B-b-b-b-b-but... I sat in some."

That was really the best you could do? Really?
It was pretty much my money shot.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I've been driving the same car for nearly 8 years now. Its a 2000 Monte Carlo. Its still in deece condition except that they built the radio antenna into the back window defroster, so AM stations are hit or miss. [tinfoilhat]Also, when I plug in a phone charger, I get a high pitch sound that comes through the radio when tuned into the AM stations.[/tinfoilhat].

I just rolled over 100k and I'm pretty sure I'll go another 100k for the next 8 years should "ol' paint" cooperate. There are much better assets to have than something that I spend less than 15 minutes a day in.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Raydah James wrote: Mike, how much did you drop for your accord?
It's a 36-month lease that I pay just short of $300 on. The sticker was $24,000. Base price back then was about $18,000.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Dins wrote:Oh, and while I think Toyota makes great powertrains (the 22R being the pinnacle), they should include a Costco-sized case of replacement valve cover gaskets with every Toyota sold.
Fucking RACK.

I used to have a Celica GT-S back in 1990. It was originally my mom's car. She drove it for seven years and got 120,000 miles out of it and then it basically imploded because she probably had the oil changed twice since my old man bought it for her. Hell, I blame HIM for that more than her. Anywho, they gave it to me for free (RACK the family discount) and I took it to a local jap mechanic who imports used engines from Japan.

He said that because of the congestion of vehicles over in Japan, most engines that he gets have less than 30,000 miles on them. Vehicles over there are a rare luxury, since most people take public transportation. So he said he could get me a cheap used 22R engine, do a valve job on it, replace and/or fix the shit that my mom never got serviced for $1200. Score, some?

Since it was an older lady's (sorry, mom) car, the interior was immaculate. And since it was a GT-S with the sport package, it was basically a Supra without the turbo charger. Kickass stereo system with in dash EQ, a little pump gimmick that filled up three air bladders in the seat which you could individually adjust (still the most comfortable car seat I've sat in to this day), cruise control (which was a luxury on any car in 1983), etc, etc.

I put 110,000 miles on that fucker in the four years that I owned it because I was always running from San Diego up to Hollywood to party on the weekends or up to NoCal to visit friends. All that thing did was just eat up asphalt. Awesome, awesome engine. BUT...the valve covers leaked like a freaking sieve. The first time I discovered this was when my alternator went out. I popped open the hood, looked at the coils and they were freaking black with oil. FUCK! After that I had to replace the valve cover gaskets about every 25,000 miles.

The only problem with the Celica back then was that it had a 70-30 front to back weight ratio. That's no problem if you've got Mrs. Rumplewife sitting in the backseat, but on a rear-wheel drive car, that kind of weight ratio is dangerous as fuck any time it rains. Every damn time I drove in a steady rain I was in danger of hydroplaning. Fortunately, it would only happen for a second or so and then the tires would catch again. But I did have one occasion when I was driving at night going from Hollywood back to SD when I started hydroplaning on a corner. Lucky for me it was late enough at night that there was no one anywhere around me. I felt the car lift up and was like, "Oh...shit...". I put on my signal and drifted into the middle lane...then into the right lane...then just as I was about to hit the shoulder the tires caught. My shorts looked like PSU's tighty-whities after that one.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PLEASE stop?
He said that because of the congestion of vehicles over in Japan, most engines that he gets have less than 30,000 miles on them.
Engine replacements at 30K are, or at least were, a legal mandate in Japan.
So he said he could get me a cheap used 22R engine, do a valve job on it, replace and/or fix the shit that my mom never got serviced for $1200. Score, some?

Yup, the mechanic scored, alright.

Man, here I was, like 7 pages deep into lectures about how superior Japanese cars were to their American counterpatrs. Yet I've never, ever heard of an American car needing a valve job at 30K.

KYO, and everyone else's A, much?
And since it was a GT-S with the sport package, it was basically a Supra without the turbo charger.
I suppose that's true, if you take some really really really extreme liberties with the word "basically."

Supras are 6-bangers. All of them (of that vintage, anyway). A 22R is a 4-banger truck engine (also utilized in Celicas).

BUT...the valve covers leaked like a freaking sieve. The first time I discovered this was when my alternator went out. I popped open the hood, looked at the coils and they were freaking black with oil.
Fucking DYING over here.

Listening to car-talk from people who think the coil-bone's connected to the alternator-bone.

The word you're looking for is "stator."

But all of you should really feel free to keep telling me all about auto mechanics... no, really, it's making you all look very smart.

The only problem with the Celica back then was that it had a 70-30 front to back weight ratio. That's no problem if you've got Mrs. Rumplewife sitting in the backseat, but on a rear-wheel drive car, that kind of weight ratio is dangerous as fuck any time it rains. Every damn time I drove in a steady rain I was in danger of hydroplaning.
Yeah, I'm sure that had everything to do with the car, and nothing to do with the SoCals' legendary lack of bad-weather driving skills.

I mean up here in the Wet Parts, every time there's a drop, there's Celicas lining the ditches. OK, Celicas with license plate frames from SoCal dealerships.

This thread keeps getting funnier.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Sudden Sam wrote: There's not a mechanic in this country who doesn't know that Japanese engines are more efficient than American made engines. There's not a knowledgeable car person alive who thinks American cars come even close to Japanese levels as far as quality of construction, materials used, fit, finish, etc.
Yes, those zipperheads' 8 cylinder cars (whoops!) and trucks have proven themselves to be much more efficient and better than the American V8's.

Sin,

Not a fucking chance in hell

For every one of you chinkjizz lapping twats who throw down the "200K" claim, there are hundreds of American V8 owners over the past 40+ years who have you beat by 100K or more.

You getting tired of being a dumbfuck yet, Suddenly Shittinghimself?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dins, lames....you two really need to get a fukking room.

My take....

You want a nice climate control system or barcalounger seats, get a buick....old man.

You want a fukking appliance to get you from point A to B and just about never break down, buy a civic/corolla/sentra etc...

As for their quality of materials, I think that over the last 15 years or so even honda and toyota low end rigs have fallen prey to the bean counters. The materials in an 88 civic are better than an 02. The old ones weren't fancy, but they were rugged as hell. Newer ones seem more plasticky. But they are still of a better quality than most domestic stuff, although I am pretty damn impressed with recent efforts from GM. But, this stuff isn't old enough yet to know how it will stand up.

Drivetrain? Even the cheapest tiniest jap cars have :bode: over domestic crap, but, I think the domestic stuff is gaining ground here as well. Enginewise, I think the difference isn't that great. Even the OL's pos '85 cavalier 4cylinder/4 speed ran pretty good. My taurus wagon with the 3 liter pushrod v-6 was slow as hell but toyota like in it's reliability.

A big trouble area with domestic stuff is fwd OD trannies. Somebody at chrysler needs to be lynched for their fwd OD trannies. Ford is a little better, GM prolly the best.

My biggest problem with domestic stuff compared to jap is just the way it feels going down the road. Every old jap car I have had felt like the suspension/steering/throttle linkage/brakes pretty much worked as if it was actually screwed together well. Domestics, not so much, although my old taurus wagon was pretty good.

I have never been any sort of pro at this shit, so I won't claim dinsdalian knowledge. Just an old cheap fukk that has never bought a new car and have done most types of repairs on my old shit imaginable. I have done clutches, brakes, suspension work and 1 entire engine rebuild...twice. Blocking oil passages with main bearings is a bad thing.

Lets see if I can come up with a list of all my old POS cars.

' 74 rustang II, What can I say, I was young and stupid and impressed that it had a tach. It was the solid lifter v-6 mach1. Somebody should have been horsewhipped for putting that fine name on one of fords better idea...not.

'78 fiesta great little barebones car. It had power...uhhh nuthin. But, it had the much sought after factory tach, and sunroof.

'83 nighthawk 550 Cool bike. Only mode of trans that I have ever bought new. Traded it in on a...

'80 fiesta This one was a little more balsy than the first, but, it had been in a wreck and had electric gremlins.

'79 toyota supra Good car, although I bought it from a crooked A-rab. 60K miles, my arse. 160, maybe 260. Spun a rod, rebuilt it. Drove for about 4 years.

85 cavalier package deal came with the OL. She bought it new in ...85 I guess. It wasn't too new when I first encountered it. Not a single straight piece of sheet metal on it when I met her. Replaced a clutch, struts. Got rid of it because it was just so beat up. Not the cars fault though. Fortunately the OL drives a little better now.

79 300SD Best car I ever had, worst car I ever had. What a fukking tank. 300K and the front end was tighter than any american/jap car is when new. But 300K takes its toll, even on a benz diesel. Lotta fun getting it started in 10 degrees. Oh, and I'm pretty sure neil young owned an old s class at one time. Rust musta did speed when it worked on that thing. Also, in the pre ebay days, finding used parts was pretty much impossible, or atleast expensive. That thing nickle and dimed me to death but put my benz mechanic's kid through a tear at yale. I still think benzes up through the 80s are the best fukking rig ever made, but, unless I can move a few thousand keys, I don't see myself owning another.

84 corolla hatchback, best fukking 200 dollar car in the history of car sales. it had 140K on the clock, but literally ran like new. I bought it from a dude at work who was the original owner. That car was way better built than a new corolla. The OL plowed it into the rear end of a ratty old nova 6 months later. the nova had a little rust knocked off it's bumper, the corolla was KO'd.

89 taurus wagon. bought in 95 for 3800 bucks. This was like new for me. This was a great fukking car. It asked for nearly nothing other than a steady diet of tranny fluid and PS fluid. Hey ford, they got these things called gaskets. Look into them.

another 89 taurus. This one was the other's evil twin. Actually, it was a fancy one. Leather, sunroof, tach!!!!!!, and the torquey 3.8 liter mill!!! I knew going in that the 3.8 had uhhh issues, but it was low miles, freshly rebuilt tranny and it looked good. And did I mention....it had a tach. The OL took car of the look good part. It nickle and dimed me for a few years. Then the heater core started leaking. If you have an old taurus and this happens, you cut your losses and call the boneyard. POS

93 SHO taurus Awesome yamaha mill. quickest car I have owned by far. Unfortunately that jewel of an overgrown motorcycle engine is completely surrounded by ford stuff. After a few years of being tired of all the non yamaha parts breaking, I got rid of it when it flunked emissions.

Current fleet
97 villager minivan The nissan v-6 is the second best engine ever made. great car. the best engine ever made belongs in my....

86 toyota sunrader RV The 22RE's is so fukking good, even dins gives it his seal of approval. Nothing else needs to be said, but, I'm sure it will be.... :dins:

91 accord. bought from dude at work. He loved the thing but, it was the "bad karma car" (It was his OL's ex's car) so, if he wanted occasional sex, it had to go. His loss, my gain. It is a bit rusty, but, has that honda quality which pretty much means it feels like I'm driving a go cart. I will run this fukking thing for evah.....or until the OL wads it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Shit forgot 2. The pickem ups.

81 f-150 The beverly hillbilly truck as my redneck friends in tn called it. It was so ugly it was cool. It had a very well made but ugly homemade wooden flatbed/headboard. Good truck

86 D150 last of the slant sixes (possibly third best engine ever). Suffered the same fate as the SHO (fukkin' enviro nazis and their emission tests. slow as hell, but, had a slushbox that shifted better than new. The mopar dude that designed the 727 torqueflite or what ever they called that tranny musta retired or got shitcanned when it came time to do a fwd OD box.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Cockaholic, have you ever owned a car that wasnt a laughable pile of shit?

I wouldnt fucking wish any of those shit sleds upon my worst enemy.

...and this just in-American 4 bangers, until recently, were garbage for the most part. But if you were stupid enough to buy one, you got what you deserved. Show me the American V8 owners, and i'll show you a group that has infinite :bode: on any car the feline fryers assemble.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

OCmike wrote:[ And since it was a GT-S with the sport package, it was basically a Supra without the extra 2 holes
ftfy mike

difference between celica/supra was cylinder count. the supra did get a turbo latter, though.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

my f-150 was a 302.

does that get me any man cred there, ohhh king of testosterone?

btw, the chevy smallblock does make it into my top five.