The Bowl Games Are Especially Meaningless This Year

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Re: The Bowl Games Are Especially Meaningless This Year

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

This bowl thing is just wretched.
Yep. West Virginia playing in a BCS bowl and not even having a coach for the game out front told me so.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Anti-playoff guy is sort of like the guy that doesn't love his wife anymore. He wants to admit that it's true (hates the bowls - wants a playoff), but he just can't, and continues to play along.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I agree...I watched more of the Buffalo-Pittsburgh outdoor hockey game today than the Capital One Bowl. I haven't watched much of the Rose Bowl either considering the score. The Sugar Bowl could be a good watch consider Georgia was one of the best teams down the stretch and Hawaii is a freak show. I'll watch the game next Monday start to finish because it's the only game that matters but I just can't get into these other games.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Shoalzie wrote:I watched more of the Buffalo-Pittsburgh outdoor hockey game
That was pretty cool.

They should have more games outside. I wonder if they would allow a team to have a outdoor stadium?
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Post by Canadian »

I think there will be a split again this year. Especially is LSU wins as I can't see AP giving the Championship to a team that lost two games.

College football needs a Playoff system and not rankings based on people or a computer.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Canadian wrote:I think there will be a split again this year. Especially is LSU wins as I can't see AP giving the Championship to a team that lost two games.

College football needs a Playoff system and not rankings based on people or a computer.
Who would that one loss team be that LSU splits with?
“Hey! You scratched my anchor!”
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Mr T wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:I watched more of the Buffalo-Pittsburgh outdoor hockey game
That was pretty cool.

They should have more games outside. I wonder if they would allow a team to have a outdoor stadium?

Doubtful...the weather won't always be condusive for it. Come playoff time in the May and June, the ice would be mush.

I think it's the beginning of a new trend. The Red Wings have been talking about playing an outdoor game...maybe at the Big House or do it inside Ford Field. I also heard a Blackhawks-Red Wings game at Soldier Field could be in the works.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

88 wrote:CFB needs a playoff in the worst way.
Agreed.

After this crazy season, there's no way anybody but a ballsucking homer can honestly declare either tOSU or LSU as legit National Champs
This bowl thing is just wretched.
The problem for a true CFB fan is that these bowls aren't even geared toward them, but towards the masses of folks whom the only games they watch all year are the Bowls.

The networks still get their ratings, advertisers are happy, and thus this bullshit system continues.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

War Wagon wrote:The networks still get their ratings, advertisers are happy, and thus this bullshit system continues.

Well said...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Jsc810 wrote: The winner of the Mythical National Championship Game is the mythical national champion.

I agree a playoff system would be better than what we have now, but your mythical national champion is either OSU or LSU, regardless of what happens in any other game.
Fixed.

Spoken like a true ballsucking homer. Not that I would have expected anything else.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

no, yopur recognising it, because u have a dog in the fight.

of course you have like 18 dogs, so your always going to have one of them involved
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm sure there will be plenty of debate after this over if LSU wins to go along with the convincing wins by USC and Georgia (up 31-3 as I'm writing this) plus you have Oklahoma and West Virginia playing tomorrow and Virginia Tech and Kansas on Thursday. You can have a mess of quality 2-loss teams after the season ends.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Shoalzie wrote:I'm sure there will be plenty of debate after this over if LSU wins to go along with the convincing wins by USC and Georgia (up 31-3 as I'm writing this) plus you have Oklahoma and West Virginia playing tomorrow and Virginia Tech and Kansas on Thursday. You can have a mess of quality 2-loss teams after the season ends.
Oklahoma will lay a beatdown on WV, just as Mizzou put the boots to Arkansas and GA is laying the wood to Hawaii.
I also see Va tech bitchslapping KU.

But for all intent they're just mindless exhibition games.

LSU vs. OSU was the best they could come up with, but the whole MNC has lost any semblance of reflecting the best team in CF
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Jsc810 wrote:Recognizing the championship game makes me a ballsucking homer, huh?
Of course, and I'm not saying that as if it were a bad thing, so chill. If my team were in the same position and all that.

Just saying that whoever wins the MNC will be Champ in name only. They won't have earned it on the field. Not this year.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

"the Championship Game" would come after a playoff, the BCS is just another alphabet organization trying to cash in on the popularity of College Football
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

My wife made me go out shopping with her today and the sad part is It didn't bother me, I never felt one bit that I was missing out os something.

Pretty sad state of college football.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

vito I completly agree. I barely watched any games. the last quarter of the michigan-fla game and the first half of the rose. wow usc looked good! and then i went to bed knowing I had to work tonight. its the sad state of college football..
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Vito Corleone wrote:My wife made me go out shopping with her today and the sad part is It didn't bother me, I never felt one bit that I was missing out os something.
It wasn't quite that bad here. I didn't have to go out shopping, anyway.

My son got a PS2 for Christmas and he and I played a couple of games of Madden 08 and NBA Live 08. Then my wife and he wanted to watch The Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci Fi channel. Later, my daughter wanted to watch Dora and Diego on Kids on Demand.

Funny thing is, I never really fought for the TV. I went into my office for a little while, listened to a few minutes of the Rose Bowl game and watched a handful of plays in the Sugar Bowl (Georgia was up 38-3 by that time), but that was about it.
Pretty sad state of college football.
Yep.
KC Scott wrote:But for all intent they're just mindless exhibition games.
Nail, meet hammer. Under the current system, we have 1 meaningful game and 31 dressed-up, glorified consolation games. Time for a playoff.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Agree with most comments here.

A few other observations:

1. The atmosphere and the coverage of all of these games -- some to a much greater degree than others -- reminds me of that utterly unwatchable joke known as the NFL Pro Bowl "game." You've got commentators talking about everything except the game on the field, and sideline reporters interviewing parents about how "excited" they are to be at the game, not to mention in-depth reports on mascots and team meals. Really, really compelling stuff.

2. While Fox's play-by-play guys are good, their pre-game show blows horsecocks. Holy fuck, not only is it horrible, it's waaaay too long. I started flipping from the Rose Bowl blowout to Fox's coverage of the Sugar Bowl at 7 p.m., thinking they would finally start the game at 7:30. Nope. Fox had a full 50 minutes of pregame horseshit before they finally kicked off. Good thing there are commercial breaks between the national anthem, live pre-game interviews with coaches, and the coin toss. Coming up next, the coin toss! Jesus fucking Christ.

3. Has the Hawaii-Georgia game ended yet?
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

they still make PS2's?
Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Post by Canadian »

FLW Buckeye wrote:
Canadian wrote:I think there will be a split again this year. Especially is LSU wins as I can't see AP giving the Championship to a team that lost two games.

Who would that one loss team be that LSU splits with?
I would say Kansas Jayhawks who will be 12-1 if they beat WV in the Orange Bowl.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Canadian wrote: I would say Kansas Jayhawks who will be 12-1 if they beat WV in the Orange Bowl.
They play VT in the Orange Bowl

WV plays OU tonight in the Fiesta.

Your canadian so you get a pass
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Jsc810 wrote:
War Wagon wrote:After this crazy season, there's no way anybody but a ballsucking homer can honestly declare either tOSU or LSU as legit National Champs
The winner of the National Championship Game is the national champion.
You mean LSU, which lost to an Arkansas team that got shithammered by Missouri by 31?

Or tOSU, which lost to an Illinois team that got annihilated by USC by 32?

Yeah, true "champ" contenders there.

The only bigger joke than Monday's MNC game is Fox's promo shouting "The game college football fans have waited for all season!

If the NFL had this model, New England could lose in the Divisional Playoff next weekend and still get to play in the Super Bowl. That's how absolutely retarded the current system is.

Btw, [Van baiting] A simple "plus one" game wouldn't work this year, either. [Van baiting]
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

RadioFan wrote:Btw, [Van baiting] A simple "plus one" game wouldn't work this year, either. [Van baiting]
For that matter, an 8-team playoff wouldn't have worked this year, either.

By my count, you had ten teams who could have made a legitimate claim that they deserved a shot at the national championship.

tOSU
LSU
Va Tech
Oklahoma
Georgia
Mizzou
USC
Kansas
West Virginia
Hawaii

And for that matter, Arizona State might have been deserving as well.

Go with 12 or 16 teams in a playoff. It will maximize revenue, and it's the only reasonable way to award any automatic bids.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

My bad. Fox's promos ended with "all season," instead of what I initially typed, "all year."

The horrah.

Sorry all, and my sincere apologies to Fox.

That is kind of like confusing which "celebrity" bitch got arrested, or showed her snatch to the Paparazzi.

Absolutely meaningful, especially in the long run.

[ <--------- insert rolling eyes HERE.

Good thing we all have a real championship game.

Good God. Toddowen may win yet.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Btw, in advance, tOSU and LSU ...

Great Game!

You deserve it, without a doubt!

Sin,

Fox.

Btw, I've got some oceanfront property here, in Oklahoma. No, really, it's excellent property, close to the shores. What else could you want?
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

SoCalTrjn wrote:they still make PS2's?
Heh. I had the same thought. Maybe they were sold out of Rubik's Cubes or something...
"Keys, woman!"
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Jsc810 wrote:Recognizing the championship game makes me a ballsucking homer, huh?
no, it makes you a sheep. war is peace, or so the government says and you believe. most cfb fans and the 5% of lsu and osu fans who aren't inbred [the osu contingent represented well here] understand that all fox is doing is dressing up a pig and calling it a princess.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

RACK 88.

I just hope Trix and his ilk are taking notes.