carr's legacy = this specific osu week

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M Club
el capitán

carr's legacy = this specific osu week

Post by M Club »

carr is 6-6 against ohio state, which is fine considering 100 years from now they'll only mention his record and not who was coaching osu at the time. point: carr's announcing his retirement after the game, per mgoblog. the game means either 7-6 or 6-7.

i need to try a photoshop reinstall.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

As long as Coop isn't roaming the tOSU sidelines, Buckeye fans have very little to worry about on Saturday.

However, I do hope all this retirement talk is just a bunch of bologna. Seems made up if you ask me.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Les Miles will be coaching the maize and blue next year.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:Les Miles will be coaching the maize and blue next year.
Let 'er rip.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Decent article about Carr from espn.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The questions coming Lloyd Carr's way -- about Ohio State, and about his future as Michigan coach -- seemed split down the middle. And rightfully so, because the story lines are intertwined.

It's apparent there is more on the line for Carr than a trip to the Rose Bowl as the lead-up to the Wolverines' annual game against the rival Buckeyes on Saturday approaches full throttle.

In some quarters, there is a widely held belief that this is Carr's last season, and the importance of the game for his legacy is apparent. The game doesn't have as much national impact as it did just a week ago, but it's still one of the biggest of Carr's career.

Carr has consistently dodged questions about next year, saying it would be hypocritical if he answered them, and did so again when the topic was broached Monday.

"The only thing on my mind is this game," Carr said, after laughing, during his weekly news conference Monday.

At this point Michigan, which started the season with losses to Appalachian State and Oregon and lost its first conference game to Wisconsin last week, would gladly accept a trip to Pasadena in January.

If Michigan (8-3, 6-1 Big Ten, No. 21 BCS, No. 23 AP) loses at home, Carr will become the first coach in school history to go 1-6 over a seven-year stretch against No. 7 Ohio State (10-1, 6-1).

Signs have been pointing toward this being the 62-year-old's 13th and final year. Carr altered his contract last December, allowing him to easily make this his final season as coach and still collect deferred compensation. In March, his assistant coaches were given two-year deals to pay them through Feb. 28, 2009, even if they are not coaching at Michigan.

Carr also wasn't interested in talking about his record against Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel on Monday. He did look and sound like he was in a good mood as a week of hype leading up to one of sport's greatest rivalries kicked off.

If Ohio State wins for the fourth straight year and sixth time since Tressel took over in 2001, it will win the conference championship outright and likely land in the Rose Bowl.

Playing for a trip to Pasadena is a step down for Ohio State, which until last week's 28-21 Big Ten loss to Illinois was the front runner to play in the BCS championship game.

Michigan opened the season ranked fifth in The Associated Press Top 25 but quickly fell out of the national championship discussion. Since becoming head coach in 1995, Carr is 121-39 and 81-22 in the Big Ten. He has won five Big Ten titles, one national title and led the Wolverines to a bowl game every season.

Many others, however, have been talking about his possible successor for months, if not years.

LSU coach Les Miles seems to be at the top of the list because he played for the late Bo Schembechler at Michigan. That is where Miles met his wife, and he was an assistant there under Schembechler.

Even though Miles appears to be in a great situation leading the top-ranked Tigers in a talent-rich area of the country, the school seemed concerned enough about him bolting for Ann Arbor that it put a specific clause in his contract to make it an expensive move.

In the "termination by coach" section of his deal, Michigan is the only other school mentioned. It states that Miles will not seek or accept employment as Michigan's coach. If Miles does leave LSU to coach the Wolverines, he must pay LSU $1.25 million.

Michigan's players, meanwhile, are focused on beating the Buckeyes for Carr.

"We want to win it for him," defensive tackle Will Johnson said. "He's taken a lot of criticism. That's his job as a coach, but we represent him."
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

L45B wrote:
See You Next Wednesday wrote:Les Miles will be coaching the maize and blue next year.
Let 'er rip.
gawd he's such a faggot.
I remember when he blurted that out prior to getting flattened by OU one year.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

What about Kelly from Cinci? He is a hell of a coach that fans in Michigan really like. He doesn't have Miles's name but he is every bit a good a coach.

LSU is a major power with the inside slot for the MNC. I wouldn't be assuming Miles would leave that.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Danimal wrote:What about Kelly from Cinci? He is a hell of a coach that fans in Michigan really like. He doesn't have Miles's name but he is every bit a good a coach.
Totally agree, especially given his roots and success at Grand Valley State. Plus, the guy appears to be a real a-hole in person, so he'd be a perfect fit IMO.

A few Michigan fans that I've talked to still want the big name. And even though I bring up the comparisons to Tressel (coming from I-AA YSU), it doesn't seem to register. Be interested to hear what the more knowledgeable percentage of the fanbase (guys in here) thinks about Kelly.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

OUMO wrote:yOOOOOOOOOOOOu tUUUUUUUUUUbe

OU 52 Okie St 9
omg Mo.
I wanna choke that fucker to death when I see that.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

3rd best evah?
Go Bucs, Gators
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Saw an ESPNews interview where he said he always will root for Michigan on Saturdays.

Wow......that about says it all. I think he goes. He is a Maize and Blue guy all the way.

LSU should be gathering a list now. I always thought if he wins it all he would stay.

No way....he's gone if Carr retires.....this year or next or the year after that....

Gone.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Folks use to consider Meyer to ND a done-deal too.

It wouldn't surprise me if he goes to Mich. But I wouldn't assume he is their guy or that he leaves what appears to be the best team in the country.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It seems like the stars are aligning for Miles to move into that job after this year. Carr took some huge lumps this year for the start this team had and he's watching a solid group of seniors leave after this year. With Bo Pelini being rumored to be looking at a head coaching job, Miles could be wise to leave LSU on the heels of a potential national title and return home and put his own stamp on Michigan football. His risk-taking might be a little too much for the most conservative MichiganFan but I think the fact he's coached in both the Big XII and SEC, he's got more of a diverse background in coaching than sticking with typical old school thinking Big Ten coach. He'll definitely come with some credibility if he wins that title with LSU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

T REX wrote:Saw an ESPNews interview where he said he always will root for Michigan on Saturdays.

Wasn't that on Mike Terico's radio show yesterday?

While Miles wasn't tipping his hand too far, it seemed like his "hidden meaning" was that if Carr leaves UM, he's gone from LSU.

That was sure the impression I got anyway, and it was the impression the interviewers had afterwards.

Miles said "I'm a Michigan Man... and when Momma calls, you always answer."

Or something like that. He made it really clear he was still a "Michigan Man."

Like I say, that was just my impression from hearing the interview, but it just seemed like the hidden meaning was that he's gone the minute the Mich job opens.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

I totally agree. Never heard any coach talk about his alma mater like that while still elsewhere.

LSU fans, he's as good as gone.

T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

jsc: Pretty non-chalant. I would be pissed. LSU is a great school with tradition and recruiting hot beds all around. I think UM will be a tougher gig from the get go. Expectations will be high....ridiculously high. But that's "home" for him.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

LSU is a contender virtually every year...

Yet coaches can't run away fast enough.

I'm guessing the particular virulent subspecies of SEC Fan knows as Fanius LSUius is driving them away.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I hear Gerry DiNardo is looking for work these days.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc810 wrote:LSU will remain a contender as long as it can recruit in state, get the blue chips to go to LSU intead of Tulane, La. Tech, UL-Lafayette, Southern, and UL-Monroe.

Yeah, I suppose those are tempting options for the locals.

After all, they see them playing LSU every freaking year.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I think he is gone. Hard to say no to Home if home is Michigan.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Isn't it possible (although not likely) that LSU and Michigan could meet in a bowl game?
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

all this les miles talk is a bit premature. bill martin is a pretty shrewd ad, and i'm sure the candidate search will be thorough. i'm sure brian kelly will get a pretty long look. who knows who else is out there.

lsu has had a pretty crazy coaching situation. it's a place just like michigan where coaches should go until they die. the only reason we're a more appealing job in the miles discussion is that he's an alumnus, otherwise there'd be no chance to extricate him. considering that joe opportunist preceded miles, it seems like lsu is a stepping-stone to better jobs, which it isn't.