Lidge to Philly

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Lidge to Philly

Post by jiminphilly »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3099599

Phillies gave a pretty good prospect and 2 bodies (one being a fast mofo) for a decent closer that could use a change of scenery. Lidge still has decent stuff. The trade impacts the Phillies in a few ways-

-Myers moves back to a starting role (it's a good thing they made the trade early so he can adjust his off season training). With the overall lack of pitching on the market, it's not a bad move to make.
-Rowand may not be gone after all. He's going to get a good contract whereever he goes. The Phillies probably would not have signed him had they gone after Cordero and another starter. But they now have a closer and a starter so it'll be interesting to see how that all plays out.

The prospect they gave up played at a position they really need to improve but he was at least 1 or 2 more years away. Maybe the Philles also now try to go after Lowell or Atkins.
Last edited by jiminphilly on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

As a Stros fan, I'm a bit indifferent. While Lidge had his problems the past year or so, there were much bigger probelms with the team overall. Right now, we don't have a closer. Maybe that's what the Stros have in store for Clemens. :lol:
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Ace
Elwood

Post by Ace »

Of all the places for Lidge to revive his career and regain his confidence, that ballpark in Philly is perhaps the worst one of all. Bad trade for the Phils, especially since they gave up Bourn.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Ace wrote:Of all the places for Lidge to revive his career and regain his confidence, that ballpark in Philly is perhaps the worst one of all. Bad trade for the Phils, especially since they gave up Bourn.
Not sure how this is a bad trade for the Philles? They have a Bourne clone in Victorino though Victorino has more pop in his bat so it's not a big loss. Bourne as a nice player but isn't an everyday player Wade thinks he's getting.

Lidge will be in a contract year. His stuff was back to his pre-2006 levels. Because he won't have to face Pujols as much might actually help. I actually think he'll flourish.

The Astros were trading for the future and everything I am reading about the prospect is that he has a great bat but can't field for shit.
Ace
Elwood

Post by Ace »

Maybe so. I wonder if this means that they wont make a hard push for Rivera? I dont think he'll leave the Skanks for equal money and years, but if the Phils made a blow away offer, he may just leave. He's still bitter about not getting an extension in spring training plus he's not happy with the direction the club is taking. An 8th/9th of Lidge and Rivera could be lethal if Lidge regains his old form
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Pujols ruined Lidge

Hey aint lights out no more.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Adelpiero wrote:Pujols ruined Lidge

Hey aint lights out no more.
Since the Philles won't be facing the Cards as much as the 'Stros I don't think it'll be much of an issue.
Phillies scouts Charley Kerfeld, Gordon Lakey and Chuck LaMar all saw Lidge last season.

"His velocity was the same at the end of the year as it was at the beginning of the year," Lakey said. "The sharpness and late bite to his slider had appeared again."
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

jim,

Pujols had one great at bat vs. Lidge. Other than that, Lidge owned him.

2006, Lidge blew up. 2007, he rebounded. He wasn't as good in 2007 as he was in 2004 and 2005, but neither were the Stros as a team.

I think he'll be good for the Phils. Not as good as our last closer you got, Wagner. He'll be good though.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:Pujols had one great at bat vs. Lidge.

It was a popup.

Sin,
Brad Lidge

No, it wasn't.

Sin,
The Ball That's Still Sailing Through The Midwestern Skies

How do you spell "retard"?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Pujols teed off on him this past year again.

and lidge went from not closer to closer, to being owned again!

he's ruined. only takes 1 at bat. ask Mark Woehlers. guy got lit up and never could regain his stuff
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Adelpiero wrote:he's ruined. only takes 1 at bat. ask Mark Woehlers. guy got lit up and never could regain his stuff

Was it the home run by Leyritz you think that did him in?

Certainly Mitch Williams was messed up after the Carter home run and Donnie Moore...well, he didn't take that Hendu home run all that well either.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Shoalzie wrote:
Adelpiero wrote:he's ruined. only takes 1 at bat. ask Mark Woehlers. guy got lit up and never could regain his stuff

Was it the home run by Leyritz you think that did him in?

Certainly Mitch Williams was messed up after the Carter home run and Donnie Moore...well, he didn't take that Hendu home run

all that well either.
Mitch Williams has said many times that he lost his fastball after the Braves series. He was overused by Fergosi that year.. it essentially killed his career.