the heisman..

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:Just my opinion, but the Heisman winner should be the cat who has the best chance of making it BIG at the next level.

So they should give the award based on what a player might do, rather than what he actually did?

That's freaking whack.

Some people have a hard time wrapping their brain around the fact CFB and the NFL are two entirely different entities. No CFB diehard gives two shits what the Heisman winner does in the NFL (unless he was from your team).

The Downtown Athletic Club gives their award based on what a player did. If it was about "NFL potential," the only person standing in the way of three straight Heismans for Adrian Peterson was Haloti Ngata. How are their trophy cases looking these days(besides each being their conference player of the week every other week)?

Although I recently heard some radio honk decrying the "popularity contest," and suggested that if they really wanted to give the award to the BEST player, the only people with votes should be NFL scouts, since it's their freaking job to know who the best players are from every school at every position. I don't agree, but it was an interesting point.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

the Heisman winner should be the cat who has the best chance of making it BIG at the next level.
I couldn't disagree more strenuously. The NFL - and what is possible there - should not be even momentarily considered in this.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

John David Booty.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

War Wagon wrote:
Just my opinion, but the Heisman winner should be the cat who has the best chance of making it BIG at the next level.
Making a late charge for Board Bitch? You must have missed the memo, that it's already been wrapped up by the troll with the most potential at the next level.

That idea is seriously right up there with teams only fielding players from their own states.

How about the State high school player of the year going to the kid that gets recruited by the most schools?

How about MVP in the NFL being awarded to the player that will make the best coach when he retires?

I wish you were my boss, though. I'd show up and demand to be the highest paid employee on the basis that I have the most potential, but I'd never actually do any work.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Doesn't that eliminate any MIZZOU player from Heisman consideration...
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I know it does...but what do you?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

JayDuck wrote:
War Wagon wrote:
Just my opinion, but the Heisman winner should be the cat who has the best chance of making it BIG at the next level.
It already is. That's why Eric Crouch won.

BTW: Best T-Shirts at Autzen stadium these days:

Dixon
Your
Mouth
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Doesn't that eliminate any MIZZOU player from Heisman consideration...
no, then Coffman and Rucker might go 1-2 in voting.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote: So they should give the award based on what a player might do, rather than what he actually did?
Of course not, but basing what a player might do is predicated by what he's actually done. My point is simply that their future potential at the next level should be a consideration to voters.

Unless of course CFB fan doesn't mind having the player who received the most coveted and prestigious award CFB has to offer get drafted 23rd by the NFL and flame out spectacularly in the pro ranks.
Some people have a hard time wrapping their brain around the fact CFB and the NFL are two entirely different entities. No CFB diehard gives two shits what the Heisman winner does in the NFL (unless he was from your team).
So now you're separating levels of fandom? Gawd, I love seeing CFB honk trying to act as if one could exist in it's current state of affairs w/o the other.

I'm a passionate football diehard fan for the CFB and NFL teams I follow, and I could scarcely separate my rooting interest in either team.

And to suggest that "no CFB diehard gives two shits what the Heisman winner does in the NFL" would mean that those of whom you refer are some seriously myopic dumbfucks.

Oh, and last I checked Dins, you were vociferously trying to defend Heisman winners and their accomplishments after college in the NFL forum. None too successfully, I might add. I think that whole episode is what lead to that slice of humble pie you were chewing on the other day.

If any supposed "fan" of a sport doesn't want or care to see their golden child do well at the next level, then they're just living in a vacuum and blowing smoke.

Of freaking course CFB fan wants to see the Heisman winner do well on Sunday. Otherwise, you've cheapened and invalidated the award.
Although I recently heard some radio honk decrying the "popularity contest," and suggested that if they really wanted to give the award to the BEST player, the only people with votes should be NFL scouts, since it's their freaking job to know who the best players are from every school at every position. I don't agree, but it was an interesting point.
That's a great freaking idea, except that it would and could never happen. NFL teams and scouts would never tip their hand like that to each other, much less give leverage to a players agent before the draft.

No, we're stuck with the current system where the BEST player in CFB is often overlooked by voters engaging in back room beauty contests.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

War Wagon wrote:Just my opinion, but the Heisman winner should be the cat who has the best chance of making it BIG at the next level.
Giving it to the best Iowa player each year would make it a bit boring, though.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:Giving it to the best Iowa player each year would make it a bit boring, though.
I dunno -- watching them try to slice it into 85 equal portions could be fairly interesting.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

tebow
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I find it hard to believe that a QB of a 3-loss team gets it.

Dixon-If Ducks win out.
McFadden-W's and L's don't hurt Rb's as much.
Hart-In a Peyton Manning lifetime achievementesque invite to NYC.
That kid from Hawaii-Like air McNair's numbers with Alcorn State. Nobody sees him, or cares. His stats get him a trip halfway around the world.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

WolverineSteve wrote:I find it hard to believe that a QB of a 3-loss team gets it.

Dixon-If Ducks win out.
McFadden-W's and L's don't hurt Rb's as much.
Hart-In a Peyton Manning lifetime achievementesque invite to NYC.
That kid from Hawaii-Like air McNair's numbers with Alcorn State. Nobody sees him, or cares. His stats get him a trip halfway around the world.
Tebow still scored 8 TD's in those three losses.
23 TD's passing and 19 rushing on the year.
not a Gaytor fan but I like what he's done.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

One could make a great case for Teblow. Except most Heisman voter seem to have s serious soft spot for seniors, which I can't disagree with. Kind of gives Tebow the shaft, but he'll get his love next year.

And the ceremony had better feature the career achievements of Mike Hart. I generally hate all things Michigan, but that bias won't have me diminishing his great career, and staying for the last year was pretty epic.

If O-Linemen got approprite love, a good case could be made for Max Unger... but that ain't happening, even with Jungle Karma.
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

I agree Tebow being a soph hurts his chances.
but that dude is a fucking football machine.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Tebow will be the favorite going into next year but I think it's Dixon if he stays healthy and the Ducks win out.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Shoalzie wrote:Tebow will be the favorite going into next year but I think it's Dixon if he stays healthy and the Ducks win out.

I'm a Ducks homer, so I'm OK with that.

But it's become a popularity contect, with media dick-sucking becoming a big factor, and they just can't get enough Dixon Cock.

If Glenn Dorsey would have stayed healthy, he would have been a good nominee.

James Laurinaitis has quite possibly been the overall best player in D1, but in this day and age, only QBs and RBs are allowed to be mentioned for Heisman... not sure why.

There's been all kinds of guys who have had amazing years -- Pat White, Woodson, Daniel, too many SEC defensive players to list... and about 100 guys who I'm leaving out. But they're not in consideration.

Oh well -- If Dixon Your Mouth gets it, I'll take the added recruiting benefit it will bring.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:But it's become a popularity contect, with media dick-sucking becoming a big factor, and they just can't get enough Dixon Cock.

It's definitely becoming a flavor of the week award. Todd Reesing with Kansas was getting all sorts of man love from Musberger and Herbstreit last night against OSU. Ryan was getting slobbered on after the comeback win against VaTech. If Mike Hart plays Saturday against the Bucks goes for 200 yards and a couple of TDs in a winning effort...he'll start getting back the hype he lost after he got hurt and he was the best back in the America at the time.

Show up in a big game on national TV and you too can become the new Heisman favorite of the week!
geau74
Fuckin' Noob

Re: the heisman..

Post by geau74 »

Glen Dorsey for Heisman!

peter dragon wrote:can we all agree that we need to just go ahead and give the heisman to mike hart?

dude has been incredible even when everyone in the world knows Michigan is going to run him.

who else? I think bradford could win one, but he is a freshman..

this guy didnt help his chances..
2) That DeSean Jackson is (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) "over-rated". If "big-time players make big-time plays," as Santana Moss famously proclaimed, how do you explain Cal’s purported Heisman candidate producing a whopping four catches for 5 yards and one 12-yard punt return in the Bears’ crushing 31-28 loss to Oregon State? I realize Cal was playing with a backup quarterback, that receivers only get so many touches per game, that the Beavers were obviously loaded up to stop Jackson (hence, fellow receiver LaVelle Hawkins wound up with nine catches for 192 yards and two touchdowns) and that you can always punt away from him. But this wasn’t a one-time thing for Cal’s smack-talking superstar. His highlights this season have consisted of one big punt return (a 77-yard touchdown against Tennessee; he has a total of 30 return yards in his other five games) and one big receiving game (his 161 yards on 11 catches against Oregon exceeds his combined yardage of 156 in the other five games).

Jackson’s speed and playmaking ability is indisputable, but how much good is it really doing the Bears? A true, elite difference-maker finds a way to make an impact every week, not every third week. Perhaps Jackson only "gets up" for the big games (his two best performances have come against Cal’s two best opponents), but I doubt that’s the whole story. While Jackson loves to run in open space, watching him Saturday night it looked at times like he was trying to avoid contact like the plague. While the game will be remembered most for QB Kevin Riley’s ill-fated tuck-and-run with 14 seconds left, that play was set up by a pass-interference call Jackson garnered on third and long. If you watched the replay, you saw that Jackson was barely touched, but that didn’t stop him from sprawling on to the field like he’d just been struck by lightning and staying there for an extended period. Despite the defeat, Cal still controls its own destiny in its pursuit of that elusive Rose Bowl bid, but the Bears need Jackson on his feet, moving his feet, far more often than he has so far.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Tebow's to lose.....

First Sophmore to ever win.....
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

I think Chase Daniel is the only one who can challenge Tebow now...and he'll have to win out convincingly to do so.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

No, two SEC homers picking a 3-loss QB to win the heisman, never saw that coming. :meds:
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Sky wrote:No, two SEC homers picking a 3-loss QB to win the heisman, never saw that coming. :meds:
Why don't you put up your "better" candidate?

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

T REX wrote:
Sky wrote:No, two SEC homers picking a 3-loss QB to win the heisman, never saw that coming. :meds:
Why don't you put up your "better" candidate?
[Biased] Sam Bradford [/biased]
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

todd reesing
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

War Stoops wrote:I think Chase Daniel is the only one who can challenge Tebow now...and he'll have to win out convincingly to do so.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

bbqjones wrote:tebow
bump
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Nolesy
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nolesy »

Tebow will never win it. He plays in to weak of a conference.
Fuck the ACLU. It will always be Merry Christmas to me.

Barrack Obama is lib speak for Jimmy Carter
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Nolesy wrote:Tebow will never win it. He plays in to weak of a conference.
Yeah....because the almighty ACC is top of the food chain.....this coming from a group who's coach doesn't even know the names of his players.

Really brah.....go play somewhere else....your bitterness just ain't welcome....

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

T REX wrote:
Nolesy wrote:Tebow will never win it. He plays in to weak of a conference.
Yeah....because the almighty ACC is top of the food chain.....this coming from a group who's coach doesn't even know the names of his players.

Really brah.....go play somewhere else....your bitterness just ain't welcome....
Tell me you are joking....you took this seriously? I rolled my eyes because I knew he was mocking sec-haters. Its funny you can't even catch that.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Sky wrote:Tell me you are joking....you took this seriously? I rolled my eyes because I knew he was mocking sec-haters. Its funny you can't even catch that.
Well, since he is a top-tier Tard, not really.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

War Stoops wrote:I think Chase Daniel is the only one who can challenge Tebow now..
Quit pulling my chain, this is freaking me out.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Wow.....this is why I really hate this place sometimes....I have a circle jerk that follows every single post of mine....with some type of commentary.....people say "why so many ND posts" then look at the idiots that just follow me from thread to thread with some type of comment???????

It's fucking obvious. What's the difference? None...bunch of fucking hypocrites.....

And he wasn't kidding about Tebow....he was being sarcastic on the SEC thing....got all that.....you guys just have so much hate towards me you can't even comprehend much....oh well......back to where this room was at before.....

Look at yourselves.....its fucking sad.....

Not sure where I can be admonished for two ND threads in one week yet Nolesy(and others) can go from thread to thread daily just commenting(and insulting) on my previous posts without adding to the actual thread.......how about that.....okay, so that's allowed......fucking hypo-fucking-crites....

Snake
Elwood

Post by Snake »

is that a tear, you gonna cry? just something in your eye...........oh, ok..............................
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

T REX wrote:Wow.....this is why I really hate this place sometimes....I have a circle jerk that follows every single post of mine....with some type of commentary.....

I hear ya, bro. I've been having that exact same problem lately.

Sin,
Atomic Punk
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

T Rex,

Never in the history of these boards has anybody been singled out "just because." Reactions and replies are based on what you choose to type. Just so happens you choose to type retarded fucking shit on a regular basis. Therefore, you're insulted for it. See how this works?

How about taking a little accountability for the pure drivel you throw up on our monitors?
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:T Rex,

Never in the history of these boards has anybody been singled out "just because." Reactions and replies are based on what you choose to type. Just so happens you choose to type retarded fucking shit on a regular basis. Therefore, you're insulted for it. See how this works?

How about taking a little accountability for the pure drivel you throw up on our monitors?
Right?

Atypical....no one ever gets singled out? Did you just post that?

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never any tears here....this place is a wasteland.....it shows......

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

And you post here because you love every minute of it.

Freaking masochist.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

No....go back to your "Never in the history of these boards has anybody been singled out "just because." "........That is for the archives.....

It is a product of habit more than anything. Been doing it so long.....die hard they do....