Manny or A-Rod

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Jack
enigma

Manny or A-Rod

Post by Jack »

Who would you rather have on your team?

Manny hits for power and average. Manny hits in the clutch. Manny owns the Post Season home run record.
Manny does not always hustle, He sometimes takes long periods of time off for questionable injuries.
His defense is sometimes very good, sometimes idiotic.

Manny is 35 years old.

A-Rod hits for Power, Average, has speed and seems to always hustle.
His defensive skills are great.

AROD, he is the best regular season player. A-Rod has not demonstrated any ability to hit in the Post Season.
A-Rod is a priss.

A Rod is 33 years old.

Manny's salary is > $20 Million / year.
A-Rod's Salary is > $25 Million / year.

So, who would you rather have on your team?

Feel free to add to the Pros and Cons of these players and to correct anything I may have written in error.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Manny's lack of hustle and apparent lack of giving a shit get a bit old at times. That looooooonnnnng single he hit last night was a test book example. Fat ass popi scored from first on that play!!

but, manny does get it done in the off season.

Arod's lack of post season production is troubling, but, overall, I still think I'd rather have him on my team.

If manny would atleast look like he was trying, I'd change my opinion.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mile-Hi T
Elwood

Post by Mile-Hi T »

Matt Holliday
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

Mile-Hi T wrote:Matt Holliday
2ND
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

manny > arod any fucking day of the week. manny probably saves you a cool eight figures as well.
Mile-Hi T wrote:Matt Holliday
Gets it. Dude is playing out of his mind.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Holliday would be the obvious choice but he's not exactly available and the Rockies would be fools to let him go.

On the topic...Manny or A-Rod? Few guys have been as productive as those two in the last decade or so. Manny probably has fewer quality years left and A-Rod is still in the peak of his career. Not many guys in the league are capable of 50+ homers and 150+ RBI...let alone any other infielders in baseball. A-Rod brings more to the table with his bat and he's still a solid glove...could move back to short depending on where he ends up. Several teams with some money to spend have openings at short or could use an upgrade at short.

Manny brings a little too much drama but he would be great to have just for the postseason. He's got a major edge on A-Rod in playoff performance. A-Rod did have a few years where he hit .300 in the playoffs. The Yanks appeared to be on their way to championship in '04 until they blew the 3-0 lead to the Sox. A-Rod hit .320 with 3 homers and 8 RBI that year. A-Rod would probably thrive in another city while I think Manny is in his element in Boston and playing left field at Fenway. Are the Sox going to look into getting rid of Manny this winter to make room for Ellsbury?

I'll say A-Rod because he has more years left and he'll be a big draw as he gets closer to Bonds' home run record. I'd love to see him in Detroit but I shiver at the thought of what he'll cost.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

As a chowd who has watched Manny over the years and knows first hand of the frustrations that Manny can give a team and it's fans...

I pick Manny.

I am of the belief that Manny is a Savant when it comes to hitting a baseball. He doesn't pressure himself (at all) and that is why he can hit the Best Pitcher's Best Pitches.

A-Rod is a tremendous athlete but he is so worried about image that he fails when the true pressure is on.

If you could combine A-Rod's work ethic and Manny's natural skills and easy going disposition, you would have a schizophrenic nut!! It just can't be done without serious side effects...

Manny costs less. Produces more when you need him too and is not a "Pretty Boy"!

In 89 Post Season Games, Manny has 24 Home Runs, 60 RBI and is hitting .271 with a .376 OBA

A-Rod has played in 39 Post Season games and has a .279 BA with a .361 OBA.. problem is he has only hit 7 home runs and knocked in 17 RBI.

Manny's prodcution in the Post Season has gotten better over the years (starting in 2003). While A-Rod's production has turned abysmal (since 2004).
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

this is an easy one

Arod

you can find outfielders who put up similar numbers to manny. actually, there are an abundance of OF who put up big numbers.

u cannot find a SS who even comes remotely close to Arods numbers.

And i would take Pujols over Manny anyday. he plays defense, and puts up similar numbers and is an overal lbetter player. also, pujols can play OF, 3b, and 1b
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Adelpiero wrote:this is an easy one

Arod

you can find outfielders who put up similar numbers to manny. actually, there are an abundance of OF who put up big numbers.
Lot of good having a-rod on your roster does for you in the postseason. on the other hand, manny actually shows up in the playoffs.

Who would you rather have? Mr. April or Mr. October? And I hate manny.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Shoalzie wrote:I'll say A-Rod because he has more years left and he'll be a big draw as he gets closer to Bonds' home run record. I'd love to see him in Detroit but I shiver at the thought of what he'll cost.
Why? As a fan of a team, I really don't see the joy in paying buzillions to bring in some media darling, mega star free agent who will take all the attention away from the rest of the team, especially when your team does well in the "home grown" talent department. I get more satisfaction out of my team doing well with the talent they're able to scout and mold.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:I'll say A-Rod because he has more years left and he'll be a big draw as he gets closer to Bonds' home run record. I'd love to see him in Detroit but I shiver at the thought of what he'll cost.
Why? As a fan of a team, I really don't see the joy in paying buzillions to bring in some media darling, mega star free agent who will take all the attention away from the rest of the team, especially when your team does well in the "home grown" talent department. I get more satisfaction out of my team doing well with the talent they're able to scout and mold.

I wouldn't even think about going after him if there wasn't an opening at shortstop. He's probably not the right choice but the fact he's a free agent, you don't have to give a player off the everyday lineup to get him unlike someone like Renteria. The financial sacrifice will probably be too rich for Ilitch and Dombrowski but I'm sure the thought has crossed their mind. I do expect them to pick up a quality shortstop this winter...A-Rod is a long shot.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Did anybody catch the announcers talking about how well Manny hits with two strikes yesterday? They were going off about how Manny doesn't let the count bother him and all this crap when it hit me that Manny doesn't feel the pressure because Manny probably doesn't even know what the fucking count is in the first place. He probably doesn't even realize that there are guys on base or that there are people whose entire world is revolving around whether or not he can hit with men on base and two outs.

And that's why Manny does what Manny does.

That being said, I would take A-Rod to build a team around, and I would take Manny if I needed a big stick to take my team to the next level.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:it hit me that Manny doesn't feel the pressure because Manny probably doesn't even know what the fucking count is in the first place.

Ask aanyone familiar with the game which player in all of MLB is the most studious, well-prepared studies-the-opposing-pitcher down to what pitches he'll go to on what counts...

And just about every single person would give you the same answer.

He's also possibly the best hitter with runners-on of the current era. You gain a men-on advantage by being able to tailor your hitting to the advantage the defense is giving you by covering the bases. Manny, while being a douche, excels at this like no other player in the game.There's a reason why he has more RBIs per AB than any player in MLB history.

So, your take is kind of accurate... well, except for it's the exact opposite of accurate.

I pretty much hate Manny with a passion I reserve for a select few... Red Sox often dominate this list... but just beacause I want him to die a horrible death on the field for my amusement, it doesn't mean I need to deminish and/or ignore his accom[plishments to bash him. I'll just bash him on points that are accurate, rather than falsehoods... I'll just rag on him for being a fucking douche (who is one of the greatest hitters with men-on in the history of the game, and is THE greatest RBI man in the history of the game).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

manny may be an all around great hitter with RISP, but, if it's RISP of a really important game, the dude batting before him has bode, IMO. and dude batting behind him ain't no slouch neither. If there is a nastier three consecutive bats in the game than papi, manny and lowell, I'd like to know who it is.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:If there is a nastier three consecutive bats in the game than papi, manny and lowell, I'd like to know who it is.
OK. I'll name 3:

Jeter Abreu Rodriguez.

Abreu Rodriguez Posada.

Rodriguez Posada Matsui.

Take your pick -- all more productive than your 3.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

what is your definition of productive? BA? my idea is what do these guys do with RISP. papi is the best in the game at it in big games. lowell is threatening to take that title from him. manny ain't too shabby either.

i'll take my three over any of those yankme combos.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Dinsdale wrote:
smackaholic wrote:If there is a nastier three consecutive bats in the game than papi, manny and lowell, I'd like to know who it is.
OK. I'll name 3:

Jeter Abreu Rodriguez.

Abreu Rodriguez Posada.

Rodriguez Posada Matsui.

Except for that pesky "No productivity in the post season when it counts" thingy.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Mister Bushice wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
OK. I'll name 3:

Jeter Abreu Rodriguez.

Abreu Rodriguez Posada.

Rodriguez Posada Matsui.

Except for that pesky "No productivity in the post season when it counts" thingy.
What Bushice said!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:
OK. I'll name 3:

Jeter Abreu Rodriguez.

Abreu Rodriguez Posada.

Rodriguez Posada Matsui.

The Yankees having 5 guys over 90 RBI is very impressive...all 5 hit .283 or better. Plus, they had 7 guys score at least 90 runs. Clearly, the Yankees were the best offensive team in the regular season this year.

I'll throw in a little homer pick from this season as well...

I made the statement earlier in the season...I challenge anyone to find a better 1-2-3-4-5 than the Tigers. Sheffield's numbers took a crap after his shoulder injury but the other 4 are about as good as any in the game.

#1 Granderson (.302 AVG / 122 R / 23 HR / 74 RBI / 84 XBH / .913 OPS)
#2 Polanco (.341 AVG / 105 R / 9 HR / 67 RBI / 48 XBH / .846 OPS...no errors in the field as a bonus)
#3 Sheffield (.265 AVG / 107 R / 25 HR / 75 RBI / 46 XBH / .839 OPS...played in only 133 games)
#4 Ordonez (.363 AVG / 117 R / 28 HR / 139 RBI / 82 XBH / 1.029 OPS)
#5 Guillen (.296 AVG / 86 R / 21 HR / 102 RBI / 65 XBH / .859 OPS)

Not as good as the best 5 hitters the Yankees can roll out but in the middle of the season when Sheffield was healthy, this top 5 for the Tigers was money.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dins,

Maybe you didn't notice or maybe you simply chose to ignore that I never once said that Manny did not work on the craft of hitting. I never once said he doesn't prepare like a motherfucker to do the one and only thing on this earth he is good at. My point is that Many is more than a little famous for not being aware of things IN THE MOMENT. You know, little things like that there is a game going on around him while he relieves himself inside the Green Monster, or while he's standing on 2nd base. The man brings the term "absent minded" to the level of absurdity. I feel that it is entirely possible that Manny operates entirely on the subconscious level when he's in the batters box. This would allow him to react in a manner consistent with his preparation, while also being consistent with his just don't give a damn attitude. But hey, if you want to believe that a man whose very name has become a synonym for "Is in possession of his own motherfucking Mothership Connection" is suddenly not totally absent minded while in the box, then go right ahead.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown