Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Torre turns down offer from Yankees

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

So long and thanks for all the rings!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7349692?MSNHPHMA
Joe Torre has turned down a one-year, $5 million offer to return as the manager of the New York Yankees.

MORE TO COME
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Yankees don't look as bad now had they aren't actually firing Torre.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Maybe it was a case of....Hey Joe, we'll offer you an extension but turn it down or we'll be forced to fire you.
Now is it Girardi, Mattingly, or LaRussa?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

still think he should have quit in the middle of the series with the indians when steinbitch called him out.

hope he manages next year and wins a ring. wouldn't that piss george off.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Shoalzie wrote:The Yankees don't look as bad now had they aren't actually firing Torre.
Are you stupid? Seriously...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

rozy wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:The Yankees don't look as bad now had they aren't actually firing Torre.
Are you stupid? Seriously...

They did fire him but they didn't...it's all about whether or not you want to read between the line.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

That's essentially what it is. Steinbrenner is telling the public " We wanted him back, but $5 Million wasn't enough for him- he must be greedy AND a loser"

Plenty of the Public doesn't know that $5 million is a substantial pay cut for Torre

After all, Dude's got to feed his family.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Raider Loco
Elwood

Post by Raider Loco »

Joe Torre makes a lot of money but he also spends a lot of money.

Sincerely,
Patrick Ewing
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

it would be pretty comical to watch the yanks collapse and have the steinbrenners publicly suck joe's cahk around the middle of june.

doubt he's interested though. who knows, maybe he'll do something really crazy like decide to sit back and enjoy the millions he's made over the last decade.

i think maybe he'll find himself a comfy job up in the booth. maybe him and tony gwynn. maybe he could give tony a few pointers on how to sound black or maybe cut back on his donut intake.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Joe Torre is truly respected by Red Sox fans!!

I do not think there is one Red Sox fan that isn't a little bit happier that the Yankees made this major blunder!

Soon Rivera will leave, then Posada......

So Long, Joe!!

fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

The way that Steinbrenner handled this makes you wonder if Cashman's got any say left in the team with Levine and Steinbrenner Jr taking over the day to day operations..

How long until Cashman leaves?

Remember the mid 80's Yankee fans...:lol::lol:

Good times..
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

You're assuming A-Rod's returning is a sure thing.
His agent is suggesting that's not for certain.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Posada and Rivera aren't going anywhere. They realize that they'll never get the kind of jack from another team than the Yanks are paying them. Same thing with A-Rod. who's gonna pay him the kind of money he's asking for? The Cubs...yeah right, Dodgers....not a chance....Angels....keep guessing....Red Sox...they're about to win the series without him, so someone please tell me where he's going to go? Now maybe the Yanks keep him, then trade him and get some young pitching for him.
As far as manager goes....I'd like to see Girardi or Pena. Get someone in there who was a catcher like Torre who can handle the young pitching staff.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Considering how thin the market is for catchers, you don't think Posada won't command top dollar on the open market?
Who wouldn't want Mariano (f'n) Rivera closing games for them? I'd definitely take him on my team over what they've got now.

The Yankees will probably be able to pay as much as any team but don't think if they both test the market that they won't listen to those other offers. Rivera made it clear that the future of Torre would affect his decision. It's not a slam dunk those two will be back.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Girardi?

BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Yeah, Girardi has such a fine track record for getting along with outspoken management, he's a natural....

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

At this point (which is awfully early in the sage), Donny Baseball seems like a much better fit.

Don't get me wrong -- the theater Girardi would provide in his very short tenure would be outstanding, but I kinda doubt it's the sort of marketing tool that management is looking for right now... not that Billy Martin Jr. dealing with Boss Jr. wouldn't provide plenty of entertainment.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one