Jena 6 Case

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Jena 6 Case

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Mychal Bell is the only kid who remains behind bars for the beating of the Barker kid at Jena Highschool back in December of last year. Bell is being tried as an adult and was convicted by an all white jury without the public defender calling one witness or offering any rebuttal in his original defense. In saying that, Bell has a juvenile record with charges similar to the ones he faces right now. He could face up to 22 years in prison.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/21/je ... newssearch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena_Six
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Nobody cares.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

RadioFan wrote:Nobody cares.
I'll Rack that summary....
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Who's Jena Six? Is she hot?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Mister Bushice wrote:Who's Jena Six? Is she hot?
Not like Cherry 2000.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Last.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
chargerfan
Elwood

Post by chargerfan »

Mikey wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:Who's Jena Six? Is she hot?
Not like Cherry 2000.
Hell no it's not. I hear Cherry 2000 is like slamming an octopus.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Jena 6?

I'll take the Fab 5 plus the points.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

You do that, You're gonna need an extra time out.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

haha ....

Yes, Bushy.

Chris Webber, ....... had one of the most notorious boners ever.

Only recently outdone by Travis Henry.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Who still does not have boner 'bode over Calvin Murphy.

Travis - 5/4
Calvin - 14/9
Ace
Elwood

Post by Ace »

Police investigating videotaped attack on Ocean View teen

By MATTHEW ROY, The Virginian-Pilot
© Sept. 25, 2007

In the video, the 13-year-old boy struggled to stay on his feet as several youths punched and pushed him from all sides. When he finally went down, the blows didn’t cease; he tried to protect his face and head with his hands. As he pleaded for them to stop, he was kicked in the face.

After the weekend beating in Ocean View, which lasted less than 40 seconds, the boy struggled to his feet, his face bloody.

The youth, Damin O’Rourke, who only recently moved to Norfolk’s West Ocean View from North Carolina, was left with bruises and scrapes. Police have identified several assailants – juveniles who they said could face misdemeanor assault charges.

Once again, the city is facing questions related to an assault involving several young assailants.

Damin is white; his assailants are black. Still, police said in a news release: “The assault does not appear to be racially motivated according to information gathered by investigators that we are unable to release.” The city’s Gang Squad was investigating, said Officer Chris Amos, police spokesman.

In July, a group attacked three men in East Ocean View; one died. Police charged seven people, ages 15 to 29, in that case. Police do not think the two attacks are part of a larger pattern, Amos said.

The incident comes on the heels of a march that drew thousands to Jena, La., to protest the treatment of several black youths who were charged with serious crimes in connection with an assault on a white youth. While the circumstances were very different – protesters in Jena said the young defendants were being treated too harshly – the national news media, and some international news outlets, nonetheless took an interest in the Norfolk case.

Billy Cook, a city School Board member who is black, said in an e-mail that community leaders, especially black leaders, should speak out against violence. He said in an interview that black youths are over represented in discipline reports he sees from the schools.

“We need to address the issue directly, deliberately and intentionally, and say 'Enough is enough,’” he said.

Damin, a seventh-grader at Northside Middle School, spoke about the beating Monday at his family’s home on Hickory Street. He said it started without provocation or warning around 5 p.m. Saturday at Marlow and Orange avenues.

He said several people attacked him. Most were strangers, he said, although one went to Northside Middle School.

The attack was videotaped by a youth from the neighborhood who uses a camera to capture images of skateboarding, said Damin, who refused to identify the boy. He said the youth gave his family a copy of what he recorded; they, in turn, released it to news outlets.

WVEC reported that the youth with the camera had been threatened at school for taping the assault.

Police acknowledged the Gang Squad was investigating but did not otherwise reveal any theories about what may have been the motive for the assault.

Matthew Roy, (757) 446-2540, matthew.roy@pilotonline.com

http://media.hamptonroads.com/media/con ... attack.htm
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mister Bushice wrote:Who's Jena Six?
Are we talking the Jenna who played Six on the TV show Blossom? (Which I've never seen, as far as you know.)
Is she hot?
You tell me...

[zyclone]Btw, I met her at a Strawberry Festival in Oxnard a few years ago.[/zyclone]
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Those nig nogs were set up by the illegal JEWS that occupy Ocean View, VA.

WAKEY WAKEY!

-L TARD
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Baby's got Back!!
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

heard some stuff the other day about this case.

seems like it wasn't just a schoolyard fight.

seems like the white kid that got coldcocked and then stomped while unconscious had absolutely nothing to do with the other things that have been brought up in this case to muddy the waters.

and that poor innocent black kid that's being railroaded by the evil racist white folks already has quite a record.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

Ultimately, the burden for being arrested rests on the shoulders of a bunch of stupid black teenagers who decided to do what each of us implicitly understood back in high school-- you don't hang out in areas that your clique doesn't own. Geeks don't sit where the jocks hang out, Mexicans don't try to take real estate where the rich kids sit, and blacks shouldn't try to claim an area around a tree where the white kids have traditionally claimed.

Regardless of the legality of it all, it was sheer stupidity of some high schoolers to try to usurp the sordid clambake of another well established group. You learn that back on Day One in Junior High.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

that's bullshit. you can go wherer you want to. ofcourse I went to a very integrated school with mostly poor to lower middle class kids. Kids like that are usually busy with afterschooljobs to worry much about the clique bullshit which I think is more of a 'burbs thing. Those spoiled rich punks think the world revolves around them and they act like it.

Don't know the details of the beatdown this kid took, but, it doesn't matter. You do not savagely beat an unconscious kid, even if he does have it coming.

lock these thugs away for awhile.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc810 wrote:There's just one problem: The media got most of the basics wrong.

Fuck... there goes all of my faith in our media, right out the window.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Jsc810 wrote:Myths replaced facts
That's how SEC country rolls.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

*Yawn*

No time like the present. Crystal phallus much?

Posted on Thu, Sep. 20, 2007 10:15 PM

Lessons from Jena, La.
By JASON WHITLOCK
Now we love Mychal Bell, the star of the 2006 Jena (La.) High School football team, the teenage boy who has sat in jail since December for his role in a six-on-one beatdown of a fellow student.

Thursday, thousands of us, proud African-Americans, expressed our devotion to and desire to see justice for the “Jena Six,” the half-dozen black students who knocked unconscious, kicked and stomped a white classmate.

Jesse Jackson compared Thursday’s rallies in Jena to the protests and marches that used to take place in cities like Selma, Ala., in the 1960s. Al Sharpton claimed Thursday’s peaceful demonstrations were to highlight racial inequities in the criminal justice system.

Jesse and Al, as they’re prone to do, served a kernel of truth stacked on a mountain of lies.

There are undeniable racial and economic inequities in our criminal justice system, and from afar the “Jena Six” rallies certainly looked and felt like the righteous protests of the 1960s.

But the reality is Thursday’s protests are just another sign that we remain deeply locked in denial about the path we need to travel today for true American liberation, equality and power in the new millennium.

The fact that we waited to love Mychal Bell until after he’d thrown away a Division I football scholarship and nine months of his life is just as heinous as the grossly excessive attempted-murder charges that originally landed him in jail.

Reed Walters, the Jena district attorney, is being accused of racism because he didn’t show Bell compassion when the teenager was brought before the court for the third time on assault charges in a two-year span.

Where was our compassion long before Bell got into this kind of trouble?

That’s the question that needed to be asked in Jena and across the country on Thursday. But it wasn’t asked because everyone has been lied to about what really transpired in the small southern town.

There was no “schoolyard fight” as a result of nooses being hung on a whites-only tree.

Justin Barker, the white victim, was cold-cocked from behind, knocked unconscious and stomped by six black athletes. Barker, luckily, sustained no life-threatening injuries and was released from the hospital three hours after the attack.

A black U.S. attorney, Don Washington, investigated the “Jena Six” case and concluded that the attack on Barker had absolutely nothing to do with the noose-hanging incident three months before. The nooses and two off-campus incidents were tied to Barker’s assault by people wanting to gain sympathy for the “Jena Six” in reaction to Walters’ extreme charges of attempted murder.

Much has been written about Bell’s trial, the six-person all-white jury that convicted him of aggravated battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated battery and the clueless public defender who called no witnesses and offered no defense. It is rarely mentioned that no black people responded to the jury summonses and that Bell’s public defender was black.

It’s almost never mentioned that Bell’s absentee father returned from Dallas and re-entered his son’s life only after Bell faced attempted-murder charges. At a bond hearing in August, Bell’s father and a parade of local ministers promised a judge that they would supervise Bell if he was released from prison.

Where were the promises and supervision before any of this?

It’s rarely mentioned that Bell was already on probation for assault when he was accused of participating in Barker’s attack. And it’s never mentioned that white people in the “racist” town of Jena provided Bell support and protected his football career long before Jesse, Al, Bell’s father and all the others took a sincere interest in Mychal Bell.

You won’t hear about any of that because it doesn’t fit the picture we want to paint of Jena, this case, America and ourselves.

We don’t practice preventive medicine. Mychal Bell needed us long before he was cuffed and jailed. Here is another undeniable, statistical fact: The best way for a black (or white) father to ensure that his son doesn’t fall victim to a racist prosecutor is by participating in his son’s life on a daily basis.

That fact needed to be shared Thursday in Jena. The constant preaching of that message would short-circuit more potential “Jena Six” cases than attributing random acts of six-on-one violence to three-month-old nooses.

And I am in no way excusing the nooses. The responsible kids should’ve been expelled. A few years after I’d graduated, a similar incident happened at my high school involving our best football player, a future NFL tight end. He was expelled.

The Jena school board foolishly overruled its principal and suspended the kids for three days.

But the kids responsible for Barker’s beating deserve to be punished. The prosecutor needed to be challenged on his excessive charges. And we as black folks need to question ourselves about why too many of us can only get energized to help our young people once they’re in harm’s way.

I’ve been the spokesman for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City for six years. Getting black men to volunteer to mentor for just two hours a week to the more than 100 black boys on a waiting list is a yearly crisis. It’s a nationwide crisis for the organization. In Kansas City, we’re lucky if we get 20 black Big Brothers a year.

You don’t want to see any more “Jena Six” cases? Love Mychal Bell before he violently breaks the law.
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?