New Yorkers...a little help please

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Yes, they "brew" Iron here, but I don't drink the shit - it's uniquely foul...just fucking awful. Although, things might be changing in Lawrenceville soon. The Pittsburgh Brewing Co. has been under a financial cloud for a while now, but they've cleared some of that up. I expect they'll be able to focus on modernizing the company, trying to make it more competitive, etc. Once they do that, someone will probably notice the popularity of actual "beer", and they'll bust out some old recipes from the early days, and we'll see something halfway credible trucked out, maybe after a couple of decades. I'm hopeful, but AAAAHHHRn ain't getting quaffed anytime soon by me and mine.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

We'll be visiting New Jersey late in the week. I thought a passport was necessary.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Mikey -- Correction. If you're traveling the Garden State Parkway, New Jersey state law requires that you wear a HazMat suit, provided for at your own cost. :x No passport is required.
Some Damn Retard
Elwood

Post by Some Damn Retard »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Mikey -- Correction. If you're traveling the Garden State Parkway, New Jersey state law requires that you wear a HazMat suit, provided for at your own cost. :x No passport is required.
A clothespin for the nose should do the trick, as long as you don't get out of the car. Then by all means break out the HazMats. If there's a worse smell than New Jersey, I don't know what it is. ('sup Rumple?)
A BILL to Regulate the Hunting and Harvesting of Attorneys PC 370.00:

370.02. Bag Limits per day: yellow-bellied sidewinders 2 two-faced tortfeasors 1
back-stabbing divorce litigators 3 horn-rimmed cut-throats 2 minutiae-advocating vultures 4 honest attorneys protected (endangered species)
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

On interstate 5 about three hours north of Los Angeles, there's a Black Angus ranch that grows cattle for the restaurant chain that's a good, solid, mile long. During the winter months it's no big deal, but in the summer, when the humidity mixes with 100 degree heat, and the belched out methane and dung of 10,000 head of cattle, it doesn't matter if you've got the windows up, A/C and fan turned off and your breath held, that stink FINDS a way into your nose. And even once you've cleared the ranch and roll down your windows, blasting the car full of heat, the stank still doesn't leave the car for a good fifteen minutes or so. Oil refineries and fisheries have nothing on this smell. It's absolutely horrid.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

No Mike, try driving past a beef processing plant in Kansas in the middle of summer. Not only do you have the lovely smell of cow dung and methane that you described, but included is the lovely aroma emitted from processing blood/bone meal.

I've driven past those cattleyards along the 5 and the 99 as nasty as they are, they just don't compare to an IBP plant.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Both of which are a boquet of roses compared to New Jersey (I believe that state invented "stink"), especially if the winds are blowing in from Staten Island.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

atomicdad wrote:I've driven past those cattleyards along the 5 and the 99 as nasty as they are, they just don't compare to an IBC plant.
IBC? Don't they make root beer?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Fucker, didn't you see my edit? now who is the ass?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

atomicdad wrote:now who is the ass?

You. For admitting you edited a post without an edit line showing.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:Both of which are a boquet of roses compared to New Jersey (I believe that state invented "stink"), especially if the winds are blowing in from Staten Island.
New Jersey is a veritable paradise compared to the hell that is Laurel, MS. Or for that matter, any paper mill town.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

I used to work as an auto parts delivery driver for a Napa store in my younger days. It was right across the street from a Campbell's Soup plant that made their Tomato Soup. Not as bad a smell as some, but I can't stand that stuff for one and for another, even though the parking lot for the Napa trucks was a good 1/4 mile away from the plant, you'd still get the *foof* of tomato soup smell coming out of the apholstery when you first sat down. Ugh...
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Speaking of food processing plants, I was just out in downtown PGH and I took a pic of the old Heinz Ketchup factory from across the Allegheny River:

As you can see, it has been converted to loft condos. I used to live back up behind there while the plant was still in operation. Some days, that part of the city smelled like ketchup, some days baby food.

This camera has a 12x digital zoom, so a lot of times I end up seeing a lot more of what I'm taking after I've dumped the pics.

A few minutes later, I saw a strange object in the sky. From that remove, it was really hard to make out what the object was. I thought it had to be a blimp, but it just looked strange. When I zoomed in later, I saw that indeed it was a blimp, high above the U.S. Open over at Oakmont.

It looked really strange at the time, though.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

On interstate 5 about three hours north of Los Angeles, there's a Black Angus ranch that grows cattle for the restaurant chain that's a good, solid, mile long. During the winter months it's no big deal, but in the summer, when the humidity mixes with 100 degree heat, and the belched out methane and dung of 10,000 head of cattle, it doesn't matter if you've got the windows up, A/C and fan turned off and your breath held, that stink FINDS a way into your nose. And even once you've cleared the ranch and roll down your windows, blasting the car full of heat, the stank still doesn't leave the car for a good fifteen minutes or so. Oil refineries and fisheries have nothing on this smell. It's absolutely horrid.
That would be the beautiful city of Coalinga.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

atomicdad wrote:No Mike, try driving past a beef processing plant in Kansas in the middle of summer. Not only do you have the lovely smell of cow dung and methane that you described, but included is the lovely aroma emitted from processing blood/bone meal.
I don't think that was a beef processing plant. Doesn't lk_pick reside in Kansas?!?!
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Mommy!

- LTS TRN 2
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

New Jersey smells like a florist shop in 2007. Anybody ever drive through there back in the early 70s? Downright fukking scary. As for shitty smelling areas, paper mills along coastal georgia/s. carolina top my list. Also up there, hog farms. I live in a dairy cow town. Cows ain't got shit on hogs.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Once all the Weather Pussies moved out of the Northeast, pollution started to lessen. It's an Eden up here now, thanks to you knock-kneed air conditionists soiling the environment in the torrid climes you currently infect.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

PSUFAN wrote:Image
That thing went right over our house yesterday, late afternoon. They really are quite loud... only flying 1500 feet or so above the ground, so that's understandable.

btw, please tell me you didn't REALLY think that was a ufo, psu? Your file name tells me otherwise:
http://www.theoneboard.com/stuff/pics/ufo.jpg
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

With the naked eye, you couldn't tell what the hell it was. I felt that naming the file ufo was rather appropriate, because the object was flying and unidentified.

For a minute, I thought I'd name it Soaring_Metallic_Pancake.jpg, but in the end I opted for a brevity of naming activity.

I hunkered down in my tinfoil helmet and drank ketchup for sustenance just the same.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Mikey,

Rent an RV. Tell the guy or girl you are renting from that you are interested in buying one and want to check it out first. You may get a deal.

Upstate NY (especially that area) does not have much to offer. Once the local hotels are booked, you may have to travel 60-100 miles before finding another one.

Canada is close by! You could zip in, zip out!!
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

probably get a really good deal on one of these babies !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

OCmike wrote:On interstate 5 about three hours north of Los Angeles, there's a Black Angus ranch that grows cattle for the restaurant chain that's a good, solid, mile long. During the winter months it's no big deal, but in the summer, when the humidity mixes with 100 degree heat, and the belched out methane and dung of 10,000 head of cattle, it doesn't matter if you've got the windows up, A/C and fan turned off and your breath held, that stink FINDS a way into your nose. And even once you've cleared the ranch and roll down your windows, blasting the car full of heat, the stank still doesn't leave the car for a good fifteen minutes or so. Oil refineries and fisheries have nothing on this smell. It's absolutely horrid.
Harris Ranch
CA 198 and I-5

Absolutely Ungodly in summer just as Mike described. Big freak'n cattle lot!
The restaurant (fortunately upwind) is outstanding BTW.

Coalinga is 20 miles West and over a set of mountains
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Jack and wolfman should definitely cross the streams. This board's only hope is total protonic reversal. Perhaps horrible tards simultaneously posting horseshit will kill their wives; therefore, the sorrow from the funerals will keep them from ever posting again.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

stuckinia wrote:This board's only hope is total protonic reversal. Perhaps horrible tards simultaneously posting horseshit will kill their wives.
Veeerrrry nice.

Now if roach would just pinch off a shit post, I'd take win, place, and show.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Here's the updated itinerary...

Fly into Stewart Newburgh-Poughkeepsie or whatever they call it now...I hope I don't need to pick my feet for Popeye while I'm there...on Friday 7/28. Either drive to Albany or down to northern NJ and spend Friday night and Saturday with the stepdaughter and grandkids.

If we go straight to Albany...
we'll drive
around CNY on Saturday--
Should be crazy times.

If we go down to Jersey we'll drive to Albany Saturday night.

Sunday in Cooperstown. Get there early and hopefully see the museum before the induction ceremony.

Monday morning we head straight up I87 to Montreal and on to Quebec. We decided to skip Niagara Falls because it's just too far around the lake. The family really wants to see Quebec. We have two nights in a suite just outside the Old City.

Wednesday morning we drive from Quebec to Augusta Maine, about a 5 hour drive south from Quebec and through central Maine. After lunch we drive down the coast to Waltham, MA, about another three hours. A lot of driving in one day, but we have two nights in Waltham so we can spend Thursday and half the day Friday being touristas in Boston.

YOU DENIZENS of BEANTOWN -- what should we be sure not to miss if we have a full day and half the next to sightsee? I've been to Fenway but haven't seen the rest of the town (except Cambridge when we went back there last summer for school visits).

Friday we go back to Jersey and relax until we fly home Sunday night. A lot of driving in a week, but I think this trip will rock.
Besides getting to see Tony Gwynn's induction, which was the original reason for the trip.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

66 replies and 666 views for this thread?

Scary. I had to change those digits.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:YOU DENIZENS of BEANTOWN -- what should we be sure not to miss if we have a full day and half the next to sightsee?

I am sorry... I am feeling lazy and don't feel like looking. You're bringing the kid(s) with you? How old?

OUTDOORS:
Walk the Freedom Trail:
http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Guided Tour (pretty cool... water and land tour):
http://www.bostonducktours.com/

Longer Tour (allows you to get on/off at your own leisure. Highly recommend)
http://www.oldtowntrolley.com/boston.htm

Harbor Cruise:
http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/h_history_main.html

INDOORS:
Museum of Science:
http://www.mos.org/no_flash

New England Aquarium:
http://www.neaq.org/index.flash4.html

JFK Library (if you're in to history. very cool)
http://www.jfklibrary.org/
Last edited by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Quebec ?
Have fun translating signs in French !
nice drive down US 201 from Jackman and on
down along the Kennebec River --
enjoy Maine in summer !

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
Mikey wrote:YOU DENIZENS of BEANTOWN -- what should we be sure not to miss if we have a full day and half the next to sightsee?

I am sorry... I am feeling lazy and don't feel like looking. You're bringing the kid(s) with you? How old?
Thanks dawg. I picked up on the Freedom Trail thing whilst surfing last night. I'll definitely look into the rest of your list.

The kids are coming. They're 15 and 17 (starting college in Sept.) and very interested in all this stuff.

Wolfman, both kids have been taking French and are definitely up for the translation thing. That's one reason we're going to Quebec.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

both kids have been taking French and are definitely up for the translation thing. That's one reason we're going to Quebec.
it will be a good lesson for them to tell the difference between "French" and Quebecois !!
But I guess ARRET is stop in any language.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Mikey wrote:Wolfman, both kids have been taking French and are definitely up for the translation thing. That's one reason we're going to Quebec.
As long as you know that Rue=Street, Pont=Bridge and Arret=Stop, you should be able to make it around. Now dealing with snippy French-Canadian waiters is a whole other ballgame.

A word of warning, if you're not fond of hights, the Pont Jacques-Cartier will make your nuts crawl into your stomach. if it's in the same contition is was last time I was there you should be able to look down to the river through the roadway.

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
The Whistle Is Screaming

Mikey,
If you are in no hurry while heading up 87, you should check out Saratoga Springs (especially the Race Track) & Lake George area. Some serious old money in those parts.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:Thanks dawg. I picked up on the Freedom Trail thing whilst surfing last night. I'll definitely look into the rest of your list.

It's actually quite cool. You just follow the red brick road and it takes you to a lot of historic places. A guided tour is corny, but you do get to hear all of the history behind the places as well. Definitely climb to the top of the Bunker Hill monument.

You may also want to check out the Public Garden and the Common as well...

Riding the T has changed a little... no more tokens. They have these things called Charlie Cards. It's just an automated machine that dispenses tix. If you're familiar with an ATM (who isn't?), you'll be fine. Just follow the instructions...

If you're going to be there on a weekend, park at the Garage underneath the Public Garden. It's only $10 on Sat/Sun.... if you're going to be there during the week, uhm... good fucking luck!
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:Mikey,
If you are in no hurry while heading up 87, you should check out Saratoga Springs (especially the Race Track) & Lake George area. Some serious old money in those parts.
Being a Deadhead, he should check out SPAC. He could stand out in the lawn area with an iPod blasting 06-28-88 and imagine the crazy Scarlet> Fire, Estimated> Crazy Fingers> start of set 2. ;)

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
The Whistle Is Screaming

Boston is a very good "walking" city, Faneuil Hall is pretty cool in a tourist kinda way. Had some pretty killer dogcat in chinatown as well.
The Whistle Is Screaming

BSmack wrote:
The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:Mikey,
Being a Deadhead, he should check out SPAC. He could stand out in the lawn area with an iPod blasting 06-28-88 and imagine the crazy Scarlet> Fire, Estimated> Crazy Fingers> start of set 2. ;)
Rack that, SPAC was my 1st show ...

06-18-83 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga, N.Y. (Sat)
1: Bertha> Jack Straw, Bird Song, Mexicali> Big River, Althea, Bucket> Deal
2: Scarlet> Fire, Playin> Drumz> Wheel> Playin> Morning Dew, Throwing Stones> NFA> Touch E: Don't Ease> Saturday Night
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The Granary Burying Ground is pretty cool. Edward Gorey surely took some inspiration from the headstone carvings you'll see there.

BTW, I spent a summer living in Boston in 1989. I last visited in 2002 - there seems to be a lot less homeless bums infecting the Boston Common and the surroundings.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

After you're done stuffing your piehole somewhere in Faneuil Hall for lunch/dinner, take the short walk to the North End for dessert. Mike's Pastry. Hanover St. I don't care if there's a line out the door as per usualm. There's a reason people are lined up like this... :gayassedwinkieemoticon:
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Mikey,

I just did the Freedom Trail last week. I recommend the 90 minute guided tour from Boston Common to Faneuil Hall. Good Italian food in the North End near the Old North Church. JFK Library is also good.

If you're in Waltham you're closer to the Red Line for the T. Pick it up in Alewife. Take it to Park Street for Boston Common. There's also a Red Line stop to JFK/UMass for the JFK Library.

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subw ... ?route=RED

Have a good trip.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.