Tigers next streak?

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Tigers next streak?

Post by BSmack »

Since the made up "most consecutive PGA Tour wins no matter how many other events you might have lost" streak is now over, get ready for the "Consecutive PGA Stroke Play Events" streak. Coming to a network honk near you. And when that one gets broken, they'll invent a new made up streak for him to chase.

I still think Tiger is the best of all time. Yea, that's better than Hogan, better than Player, better than Hagen and even better than Jack. I just wish the network honks would stop trying to turn everything into a run at some record that is never, ever, in a million years going to get beaten. What Nelson did in 45 was a combination of two factors, weak wartime fields and his perfection of what we now know to be modern swing fundamentals. Short of staging WWIII and Tiger developing some radical new way to swing a golf club, he's never going to get so far ahead of his competition that he's ever going to reel off 11 straight. And nobody else is either.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

You know, if the TV crew could ever get over their swooning sessions about Tiger, covering his every move and build up some of the other great golfers on tour...

Maybe tournaments like the International (not that I'll miss the stableford scoring fucking up my fantasy picks each year) and other events which Tiger chooses to ignore would be able to draw better crowds and ratings.

Streak? The streak ended when Tiger chose not to play in the Nissan.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Otis wrote:You know, if the TV crew could ever get over their swooning sessions about Tiger, covering his every move and build up some of the other great golfers on tour...

Y'know...as much as the douchebags whore for a big story, you'd think they'd take a break from Tiger(Tiger has supporters and detractors at this point, and no one's opinion is going to be swayed after 10+ years), and maybe take notice (a year too late) of the impact that the "emerging crew" is having, most notably JB Holmes and Bubba Watson.

While the sports media is trying to overhype Tiger, two guys are literally changing the way the game is played...and the networks don't seem like they've noticed yet. We're in the very early stages of witnessing a change, and this may indeed be the dawn of the Bomb and Gouge Era...

And maybe 10 years from now, the golf media might notice.

Then again...Bomb and Gouge is pretty much a piss-poor strategy on a Major course.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I said this in a different thread. It still applies, especially the bold part.
IndyFrisco wrote:If Tiger were to miss the cut in his next PGA tournament, then proceed to win his following PGA tournament, fully expect ESPN to be pimping the fact he has won 8 consecutive tournaments he made the cut in while putting that number up next to Byron's 11.

Then he'll lose a few more and then win one and eventually ESPN puts up the stat that Tiger won the last 12 tournaments that he won and all will be right in the ESPN world.

ESPN...only reason I ever tune into it is if they have a game I want to watch.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Mace wrote:and Bobby Jones is the only golfer to capture the Grand Slam.

Mace
but what about the "Tiger Slam" :meds:
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I think the Tiger-dick-sucking by the media is pretty silly. Dude is easily one of the best players in the history of the game, and I think that the constant media-hype detracts from his amazing accomplishments, and gives people a reason to hate on the guy...which isn't even his own fault. His accomplishments speak for themselves, and media hype doesn't enhance or detract from them in my book.

BTW-I'm on possible "FORE" alert. Weather is freaking beautiful for late-winter here. Couldn't ask for a nicer early-March day for golf. Might just have to "sneak out," as we often call weekday jaunts. At minimum, might have to take advantage of my buddy's club membership, which has a new twist...free range balls, including guests...although he lives right next to the clubhouse, and we often watch ball games in the bar and whatnot, so I end up walking around the place like I own it, and many of thwe employees just figure I'm a member...which is nice when it comes to cheating them out of guest fees stepping out for a round.

I just came into a big pile of wedges, which will hopefully fill in some of my "sketchy distances" that I don't have a good shot-in-the-bag for. Got a 50*, a 55*(which I'll keep in reserve, or give away, since my Ram Tour BeCu 55* is my freaking baby), a 58*(haven't played with a 58 in a while), a 60*, and a 64*.

Not sure which ones will find a home in the bag, but better to have too many wedges than not enough, right? At present, I only have my PW, loft unknown(although I'm guessing it's a strong loft, since a full swing sends it a country mile...like 145 or so), and my 55. If I need to hit 115-130, it's a crapshoot. It doesn't help that lately when I make partial swings with anything but the 55*, I seem to get a nasty case of the "take the club outside and yank it way left" blues. And we all know that rather than fix swing problems, it's better to just get new clubs, right?

That IS how you fix those problems, right?
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Absolutely!

have the RIGHT WEDGES!

seriously...that 50 will do you some justice.

your PW is 45....fyi.

add the 50 (and since you LOVE your SW)....save yourself and DON'T add the LOB.

replace your long irons with a Hybrid instead.

do it.

Lob Wedge = stupidity unless you PRACTICE.

(SMOKE does not equal PRACTICE....fyi....)

~Sin,

Yours in Breaking 90 :mrgreen:

Q
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The 50 has some pretty grabby grooves to it. Thumbs up.

Didn't like the 58.

Liked the 60* "Trouble Wedge" quite a bit, actually. It's way offset, and kind of a funny round blade. Me and my buddy had one of our chipping green contests, and I was kind of digging the 60 for near the green. Won't use it much, but I was liking it.

The 64...is a 64. Cool when you want it I guess for when you're really in some pickle, but not enough to justify carrying its weight around.

Every now and then, me and a friend or two will hang out at the chipping and putting greens. We make a game out of it(involving dimes or beer), and it gets pretty intense sometimes, and can drag out long...great practice.

Screw the other clubs...know thy wedge. Hitting wedges well makes up for shitty putting.