rack mvc tourney

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

rack mvc tourney

Post by Adelpiero »

excellent quarterfinal games

missouri st just locked in a ncaa bid
creighton i believe gets in if they win 2morrow

siu could get a #3 seed if they win out in tourney
bradley could be 4th team in if they win tourney

injuries crushed witchy st, they fought back and came up a little short.

should be some good games 2morrow

missouri st vs creighton
bradley vs siu
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MSU rolls Creighton
SIU stomps Bradley

SIU squeaks by MSU for the trophy.

I haven't checked to see if any of these games are on the tube. Un-War if they're not.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

War Wagon wrote:MSU rolls Creighton
SIU stomps Bradley

SIU squeaks by MSU for the trophy.

I haven't checked to see if any of these games are on the tube. Un-War if they're not.
all games have been on foxmidwest

semis are on foxmidwest with final on cbs sunday

they got fucked from monday night primetime title game on espn, but get to be on cbs, so a win,loss situation.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

no way msu rolls creighton, ahern shoots under 30% at scotttrade for his career. he was 3-15 yesterday?

creigton beats msu
siu squeaks out a 2 pt win over bradley

siu beats creighton and gets a 3 seed
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: rack mvc tourney

Post by War Wagon »

Adelpiero wrote:missouri st just locked in a ncaa bid
Ya' think? After the rim job they took last year being left out with a #21 RPI, they'll want to leave nothing to chance. They still have a huge chip on their shoulder and something to prove. That's why I think they'll roll Creighton.

Then again, I thought Kansas was going to buttfuck Texass today, and the horns are up by 16 in the 1st half, so what do I know.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Re: rack mvc tourney

Post by Adelpiero »

War Wagon wrote:
Adelpiero wrote:missouri st just locked in a ncaa bid
Ya' think? After the rim job they took last year being left out with a #21 RPI, they'll want to leave nothing to chance. They still have a huge chip on their shoulder and something to prove. That's why I think they'll roll Creighton.

Then again, I thought Kansas was going to buttfuck Texass today, and the horns are up by 16 in the 1st half, so what do I know.
sms had no big wins last year, i tried to argue for them, but couldnt.

this year they have some quality wins, especially the win vs wisconsin.

the creighton-sms game could be who gets last bid game. sms, msu, fuck it, its still southwest to me.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

War Wagon wrote:MSU rolls Creighton
^^^ that dipshit has no idea what he's talking about. Somebody ought to clue that guy in that Creighton is pretty damn good.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Adelpiero wrote:no way msu rolls creighton, ahern shoots under 30% at scotttrade for his career. he was 3-15 yesterday?

creigton beats msu
siu squeaks out a 2 pt win over bradley
^^^ This guy, on the other hand, does know what he's talking about.

Good calls.
siu beats creighton and gets a 3 seed
Not that I'm in any position to disagree with you at this point, but I dunno'. I watched both games today, and Creighton looks pretty damn strong.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Easy for me to say now after the fact but I think Creighton was in better shape for an at-large than Mo St was prior to their game. Obviously they are after the game but I think the seeding will reflect that Creighton is viewed better by the committe than Mo St is/was.

I do think SIU can grab a 3 but wouldn't be shocked if they "only" got a 4. I think Creighton will fall in the 7-9 range and Mo St will get in around a 10-11. 3 bids for the MVC this year.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

The way Bradley pushed SIU to the brink yesterday, at 21-12, and having made it to the Sweet 16 last year, I wouldn't be surpised if the MVC gets 4 teams in the tourney.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

I wouldn't be surprised either but my guess is Bradley will be on the screen for the teams that just missed getting in. That may change if the likes of Memphis and Gonzaga win their conference tourneys to ensure as many at-large bids as possible remain up for grabs. But I think the Colonial will grab 3 this year with VCU, ODU and Drexel getting in.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

im not suprised by creighton

when they lost to nebraska and struggled early, i said they would be a mutha fucka late in the season. they virtually have the same team as last year
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Very impressive effort by Creighton...looks like a solid team going into the tournament. I can't say I've seen much of The Valley this year but I like the Jays' combo of Tolliver and Funk. I'll keep my eye on them when the brackets come out next week.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Rack Creighton

Sign seen in the stands held by a Bluejays fan:

"You just got FUNKED"
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Missouri State is clinging to that big win vs. Wisconsin. If anything gets them into the tourney, that should. Might have locked in a bid with a win yesterday, but they simply didn't have an answer for Funk, the ninth-year senior who has been a Bear-killer his entire career.

Good riddance.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I like the MVC but that conference is terrible. I've seen quite a few MVC games on TV and in person this year and there is absolutely no talent in that league. They had a FEW quality wins EARLY in the season, and when I say early, I mean late November-early December. I don't even think it's the best mid-major. But I found that conference tourney to be absolutely unwatchable. Jeezus fuck, the game looks so slow with all those white guys or black dudes that might as well be white considering their lack of athleticism. There's hardly any decent bigs in that entire conference either. They shoot a decent percentage as a conference from the perimeter but shit, I'd hit jump shots if I had 6'2 slow white guys defending me! They wouldn't do shit if they had to actually face athletic guards that can pressure the ball. And I don't even wanna hear about how Missouri State beat Wisconsin or Wichita State beat Syracuse. Missouri State beat an overrated Wisconsin team in November. Pretty much everyone loses to an inferior team in November. And Syracuse sucked balls back in December. There is not 1 team in the Valley (SIU included) that would win more than 6-7 games in any of the BCS leagues. No way in fucking hell. Not one player in that league is All-American caliber, and SIU is the only Top 20 caliber team. Creighton is not that good, they just padded their record because they were in a weak conference. I will give them credit, they were impressive in the MVC tourney.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

That was the impression I got from the MVC Championship game. Some ugly basketball shown that night. Obviously, we know certain MVC teams have done well in the NCAAs, but if either of the teams from that particular game show up in the Tourney, they're going to get smoked by 20 pts in the first round.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

You should have seen the rest of the tourney! I'd like someone to pull the shooting percentages from that tourney. I bet the teams shot a combined 37% or less in that tourney. And that's going up against a bunch of slow white guys on defense! That's like shooting 30% in a BCS conference!
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Everytime I think noJ can't post a dumber take than a prior one he'll bust out a gem like this thread. If Iowa can win 9 games in the B10 this year than SIU would easily win 10. The MVC has shown year after year in the tourney that they can in fact run with the big boys of college hoops. What they lack in jump out the gym talent they more than make up for in basketball IQ.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Rack Shine.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Nice.

Popular topic on talk radio this morning was what Creighton or Southern would do in the Big XII and, conversely, what a team like Kansas State or Missouri would do in the MVC.

You can say what you like about the larger conferences, their money, their high-profile coaches and their television ratings, but one fact remains.

Each one puts five kids out on the court, and each of those kids is still wet behind the ears. I don't care how high you can jump or how fast you can slash to the basket, your team can be beaten soundly by another that plays solid, fundamental basketball.

Put one of the MVC teams in a power conference and watch what happens when money and exposure collide with a rock-solid basketball program. Missouri won't play MSU because they know they stand too much to lose in the way of scholarships, prestige and the almighty tax dollar. The last time Missouri took that risk, Johnny Murdock left Columbia a legend.

Execution is called that for a reason.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

^^^Man, I really hates that guy.

Mizzou would cold-cock those boys, and you know it.

I hates on you.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

orc, what does the tax dollar have to do with it? Does the Missouri legislature appropriate money to the best college basketball team in state, as determined by head to head matchcups?
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

It's not a direct correlation. It's a matter of two state schools competing for dollars on every battlefield imaginable, and the big brother continuing to hold the little one (that isn't so little anymore and growing at a constant rate) down.

This isn't specific to Missouri, either. MU congressmen filibustered a name-change for nearly a decade, before the Springfield governor finally dropped the gauntlet and pushed it through.

MU will do everything in its power to see that every last dollar possible ends up in its back pocket. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, as every state school fights for budget dollars with its siblings.

Basketball games don't directly impact a legislative budget, but they can have a small influence on prestige, which affects student enrollment, professor retention and a host of other things that, in turn, can have an impact on those budget dollars.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

If anyone thinks the MVC teams could hang ON A CONSISTENT BASIS with ANY of the 6 BCS leagues, they no NOTHING about basketball. I'm sick and fucking tired of hearing how the MVC has been do well in the tourney. Whoopty fucking do! In any one-and-done scenario, upsets are going to happen. Let me gues......George Mason was really one of the 4 best teams in the nation last year, right Shine!!?? Yeah, they weren't.

The NCAA tournament is about matchups, intensity, and bringing your A game each game because it's a one-and-done. Doesn't prove who the best leagues are because it's only a few games. The regular season proves everything because the good teams are the ones that can win over the entire season as opposed to having a nice weekend (which is what you have to do to make the Sweet 16). Remind me, Shine......when was the last MVC team to make the Final 4?? Nevermind, don't answer that one, it will make your argument BS.

Besides, the Valley is NOT even close to as good as it's been the last couple of years. This year the league is fucking terrible. Even SIU is not that good. I do not think mid-majors will do very well this year and I think the upsets will be limited because I think the big boys are gonna take these early round games more serious with all the upsets and number of mid-major schools that have been winning tourney games lately.

As for Iowa winning 9 games........we won 9 games in the Big-10 because we are a damn good team at home. Heck, we got 7 wins at home in conference and 2 road wins (1 over a really bad Minnesota team). SIU couldn't win 8 games in the Big-10 because they're not that good. They'd struggle to win more than 1-2 road games and they'd lose at least a couple of home games. If Iowa was in the Valley, we'd go 14-4 if not better. Haluska and Smith are better than any player in that entire conference and there is no way anyone that has watched Iowa or the MVC teams play could even try and dispute that.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Shine wrote:Everytime I think noJ can't post a dumber take than a prior one he'll bust out a gem like this...
Keeps raising the bar, don't he?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

So IF Iowa played in the MVC this year they'd have gotten off to an 0-2 start with a 2 point loss AT HOME against UNI (9-9 in the Valley) and 16 point ass kicking at Drake (an impressive 6-12 conference record).
Ouch.

Bringing real, actual facts to the table is going to put quite a damper on JON's agenda.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Awww...It could be worse for the Jon being a dumbass. He could be getting the self-inflicted treatment that Trix was getting in the NFL forum.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mace wrote:
If anyone thinks the MVC teams could hang ON A CONSISTENT BASIS with ANY of the 6 BCS leagues, they no NOTHING about basketball.
If Iowa was in the Valley, we'd go 14-4 if not better. Haluska and Smith are better than any player in that entire conference and there is no way anyone that has watched Iowa or the MVC teams play could even try and dispute that.
Uh huh. Sure, JON....you fucking idiot. I DID watch Iowa this season, including a couple of games against MVC opponents, moron. So IF Iowa played in the MVC this year they'd have gotten off to an 0-2 start with a 2 point loss AT HOME against UNI (9-9 in the Valley) and 16 point ass kicking at Drake (an impressive 6-12 conference record). Sorry, dipshit, but I think you should put yourself at the top of the "no nothing about basketball" list and limit yourself to "covering high school football" on the prairie gridirons of Iowa. Do you ever wonder why everyone here thinks you're a complete fucking moron? Try sobering up before you post or, better yet, just shut the fuck up. You are a total embarrassment to the black and gold.

Mace
Brutal. I'm laughing so hard here, my gut hurts.

This thread should be archived for that blast alone.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Loves me some Mace, I do.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Well thanks to Mace I can see my services will no longer be required in putting noJ in his place.