Dre Bly for Tatum Bell

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Dre Bly for Tatum Bell

Post by WolverineSteve »

As a Lionfan I like the trade. Bly is a lippy malcontent who had worn out his welcome. He is a solid CB, but a bit of a gambler who didn't like the zone d's of the Marinelli regime. He wanted to go someplace that plays more man coverages.

Tatum Bell shores up the running game with Kevin Jones to likely miss the first third of the season at minimum. Good trade for both sides IMO.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Bly is a playmaker at the corner spot but he's had a bad attitude for a couple years now. I realize losing will do that. It's a nice trade though...Bell will probably be the main back while KJ is healing up. The Lions also get tackle George Foster...another need area. They just let Ross Verba go, that experiment was a huge failure. Foster is a former first round pick and he's still quite young. Even if the Lions go with Thomas at #2, I don't know for sure he would start right away opposite of Backus. For sure, the Lions won't take a running back at #2 since they've got Bell, Harris, Calhoun and Bryson on the depth chart. To trade one starting player and get two guys in return who are young but can easily step in be starters right away...that's better than getting more draft picks.

From a Denver perspective, the untimely loss of Williams opened up the spot opposite of Bailey. Bly and Bailey become one of the better corner duos the league has to offer. Considering more teams wouldn't to throw to the side of Champ...it'll be interesting to see what Bly does get more of the action his way when he was the guy teams would throw away from when he was in Detroit. I'm sure he'll be a happy camper in Denver and playing with his buddy Champ. I don't blame the guy for being pissed with the direction of the Lions but you do have to have some sort of professionalism and contribute to the team you're with. He got his wish and he's out of town...the moron with the mustache made a nice trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408
Last edited by Shoalzie on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

I like the fact that they picked up Foster in the deal as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408

A former 1st round pick and a starter on the Denver O-line.

Solid.

So when did Matt Millen retire?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

420 wrote:So when did Matt Millen retire?

Not quite...

His two best moves as president/GM have been two-for-one trades. He moved a first round pick to Cleveland (that became Kellen Winslow II) and moved down to get Roy Williams and picked up an early second round pick that became Kevin Jones. Then I'd put this trade right behind it. He trades a guy that has value but didn't want to be here and ended up getting two younger guys that can start on the team next season.

Like I said before, this probably doesn't stop them from picking Thomas but it also means he might not start right away if they get him. One of the local radio guys yesterday said the unthinkable...they should consider drafting Calvin Johnson. I don't know about that and if the Raiders can trade Moss for Rodgers and a pick...maybe that allows them to take Johnson #1 and then Russell falls to #2 to the Lions.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I forgot to mention Foster, my bad. I hope the aquisition doesn't make Matty draft a QB. I think Thomas is the only viable choice with the #2 pick. If he's the stud he's supposed to be, the Lions would be nuts not to take him (which is exactly why I fear they will miss the boat on this one).

Good move Matty, now don't screw up the draft.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Bell asked for a trade before he died.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

WolverineSteve wrote:Good move Matty, now don't screw up the draft.

Don't hold your breath... :lol:
Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

Tough position Millen's in... if the Moss trade doesn't go down.

You have Calvin Jonhnson sitting right there! lol!

It's almost a lose lose situation for him. Take a 4th wide reciever in the 1st round or pick up Thomas.

Pray to god... old man al makes that move.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

You definitely don't take a receiver at #2 if you had Rogers, Williams and Williams all there on the team and starring as they hoped. Instead, you have Rogers on the unemployment line, Roy is probably a year away from asking for a trade out of town and Mike simply hasn't adapted to the NFL and I think he's probably going to be cut within a year. Quite possibly, all three of those guys might be gone by 2008 if Roy wants out after another hideous season.

What team wouldn't want to have that freak of an athlete as one of their receivers? Johnson is a special talent if Oakland doesn't take him, he'd be too enticing to pass up. Since the Lions have Foster now at one tackle spot and Backus is signed long-term...where does Thomas fit in?

Since they're expected to get rid of James Hall via trade or cut, they could use an edge rusher. You've got Rogers and Cody in the middle and they might consider moving Cory Redding at one end spot and I really don't see Kalimba Edwards having much of a future as their top pass rusher. Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson could be an option at #2. There aren't really any premiere corner in the draft...at least not one I'd take at #2...I think that would be another spot they could go after as well. The Lions will definitely need to address the corner position this offseason and maybe they throw a bunch of money at Nate Clements.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Good trade. Draft Thomas at #2.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Unless they can find a way to move Backus' contract, he holds the LT position with the Lions right now. Foster would probably start at RT. Draft Thomas and don't expect him to play next year.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Maybe Millen made this trade so he wouldnt have to draft Thomas. This could be paving the way for a Charles Johnson/Brady Quinn pick.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cicero wrote:Maybe Millen made this trade so he wouldnt have to draft Thomas. This could be paving the way for a Charles Johnson/Brady Quinn pick.

There's a few scenarios that could affect this #2 pick...
1. Obviously, whatever move the Raiders make...trading Moss for Rodgers would mean they would probably go with Johnson at #1.
2. Rumor has it that the Lions are looking as signing another former Rams receiver that fits in with Martz's offense...Kevin Curtis. The Lions really wouldn't have the need for another receiver if they do this.
3. Local radio is discussing how they might actually turn around and trade either Bell and/or Foster and turn them into draft picks. This would be a foolish move on their part but if they hang onto Bell and Foster, that should eliminate Thomas and Peterson.
4. There is talk of Josh McCown getting reps next season...they might be opening up the starting job to not just Kitna. More than likely, any QB they take...Russell or Quinn...won't start next season. Plus, they still have Orlovsky as their #3.
5. I mentioned the James Hall situation before...with his exit, that would open up a defense end spot in the lineup.

They're in a tough spot right now given they seem married to their current QB situation. Their biggest needs right now become cornerback and defensive end (most likely). Adams and Anderson are solid top 10 prospects but I don't see the justification of picking either guy at #2 when you'd possibly be passing up Russell or Johnson...the two most talented players in the draft. There are no top 5 cornerback prospects so it's not like they'll be going after Leon Hall or Aaron Ross at #2.
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

Enjoy Foster and Bell, Lions fan. You are getting two very solid players and two players that Broncos fans are going to miss.

Foster, Bell, now Plummer. Who's next? John Lynch to the Cardinals for a last round draft pick?

:meds:
Don't blame me, I voted for Trump
kcdave wrote:kicked my own ass many times
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Shoalzie wrote:5. I mentioned the James Hall situation before...with his exit, that would open up a defense end spot in the lineup.
Hall was traded to the Rams for a 5th round pick...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 048/SPORTS
hardcrow
Fingerpainter

Post by hardcrow »

Bell had no heart, I despised that fucker hes mediocre at best, have fun with that one kittys.

looking forward to see what Bly/Champ combo does for our D....
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

hardcrow wrote:Bell had no heart, I despised that fucker
Well, congrats then, you traded him for an even BIGGER piece of shit, in Dre Bly.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'd be curious to see if his attitude would've been different had this team not sucked out loud. I'm sure he's not the only player that is unhappy with the state of this team.
Mile-Hi T
Elwood

Post by Mile-Hi T »

d-townmike wrote:Enjoy Foster and Bell, Lions fan. You are getting two very solid players and two players that Broncos fans are going to miss.

Foster, Bell, now Plummer. Who's next? John Lynch to the Cardinals for a last round draft pick?

:meds:
c'mon Mike! Foster lost playing time last year because his fat ass wore down, Bell can't hold on to the ball and he wears down in the 3rd qtr EVERY game.

And Plummer can go to hell! tell me that you wouldn't rather have garcia as our #2!!??
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wearing down in the mile high air is one thing...if they tire inside of a dome that is climate-controlled, then we have a problem.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

Decent trade for the mules IMO.

They replace Darrent Williams with a solid #2 and they only gave up players that had been regarded as dissapointments so far in their careers.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Mal wrote:Decent trade for the mules IMO.
Really?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788121

Shannahan should trade that fukker right now before it's too late......
get out, get out while there's still time
G.O.
Elwood

Post by G.O. »

not so fast on bly.......this from a washington post reporters blog

Live I've been writing since Sunday, don't rule out this Dre Bly trade just yet people, because I continue to hear this cat is pushing to get to DC bigtime, and it seems like the trade talks are still on. The stuff I hear just won't go away and I am beginning to think it is going to happen.

Denver does not want to give Bly an extension right now, but the Redskins will. I heard today that these trade talks actually stretch back to before the combine and have taken on various forms (including the Springs for Bly proposed swap that the Broncos killed 'cause the Skins wanted cap relief - as reported first on this lil blog Sunday).

So now the Broncos bringing in depth corner David Macklin for a look and are open to dealing Bly. And the Broncos have a hardcore interest in Washington's sixth overall pick, numerous league sources have told me, and the Redskins remain very open to dealing it. As I've reported previously, the Redskins are also deadset on trying to get that third round pick back from Denver they lost in the Duckett deal.

And, trust me, these teams have been talking about swapping draft picks for weeks, I hear on very good authority, and have already had the parameters of several potential deals in place. So, I still think there is a very good chance we see Bly come to DC, along with Denver's first round pick, and second and/or third round pick, plus maybe a conditional late round pick, in exchange for the 6th overall pick.

In that scenario, the Skins would make a big play for the 19-year old D Lineman from Louisville, Okoye, to address that need, and get a young O line and D lineman with the additional picks (I hear they love this kid by the way). Also, Springs would likely get traded for picks (don't rule out him landing in Detroit, Arizona or even Baltimore) and Bly gets his money in Washington.

And trust me, I am not going to put everything I know out there right now, but the Skins could make this happen cap-wise, with little problem.

Posted by Jason La Canfora

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Tough tits, Dre...