Tiger vs. Riviera

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

The Seer
Just the Facts

Tiger vs. Riviera

Post by The Seer »

Riviera, the course Tiger played on during his younger days, is one course that has gotten the better of him. He is 0-fer there....

If he decides to skip the L.A. Open, are people justified suggesting he skipped the place to keep the streak alive??????

I say......yeah. (Partly cuz I wanna see him when I attend the tourney)....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Is a 20 game hit streak really a 20 game hit streak when you take the days off against the opposing #1s?

I don't know if the record 11 was done in consecutive weeks, but I would imagine they were pretty close to consecutive weeks/tournaments. Just as I don't think Tiger's "grand slam" was really a grand slam since it spanned two seasons.

The guy is awesome, probably the best ever. However, ESPN wanting to glamorize everything down to how awesome Tiger takes a shit is getting ridiculous.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

What a chickenshit move. I’m guessing that Byron Nelson won his 11 in a row playing in consecutive tournaments (not consecutive weeks), because there were less tournaments played 60 years ago. Of course, he won those 11 in a row in 1945, when a lot of the top golfers were fighting in WW II, but I still think Tiger’s a coward.

Most golf fans are aware of his history at Riviera, and I think it would have only added to his legacy if he chose to play there, win or lose. Now, if he actually makes it to 11, people will remember that he didn’t have the guts to take on Riviera.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Goober McTuber wrote:What a chickenshit move. I’m guessing that Byron Nelson won his 11 in a row playing in consecutive tournaments (not consecutive weeks), because there were less tournaments played 60 years ago. Of course, he won those 11 in a row in 1945, when a lot of the top golfers were fighting in WW II, but I still think Tiger’s a coward.

Most golf fans are aware of his history at Riviera, and I think it would have only added to his legacy if he chose to play there, win or lose. Now, if he actually makes it to 11, people will remember that he didn’t have the guts to take on Riviera.
Correct. Nelson's were in consecutive tournaments in the same season. Interesting that Tiger would take this off. How many times as he played this one, did he play LAST year? If so, he is a pussy.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

There is no streak. Tiger did not win the last time he teed it up. EOS.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

If Tiger were to miss the cut in his next PGA tournament, then proceed to win his following PGA tournament, fully expect ESPN to be pimping the fact he has won 8 consecutive tournaments he made the cut in while putting that number up next to Byron's 11.

Then he'll lose a few more and then win one and eventually ESPN puts up the stat that Tiger won the last 12 tournaments that he won and all will be right in the ESPN world.

ESPN...only reason I ever tune into it is if they have a game I want to watch.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, a dude who's been winning around 50% of the tournies he enters is cowering in fear of a course.

Uhm...yeah.

Agree with the part about ESPN, though. If there isn't a sensational headline, they'll make one up.

And as far as "he didn't win the last event he entered"...uhm...the "streak" is consecutive PGA events. Not sure which part of that you're struggling with?

If he lost to one of his buddies playing left-handed beer golf, does that kill his streak, too?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:And as far as "he didn't win the last event he entered"...uhm...the "streak" is consecutive PGA events. Not sure which part of that you're struggling with?
Which is nothing more than a Made for TV invention. The only streak that matters is consecutive events won. Which right now stands at 0 for Tiger.

Put money on it. If Tiger loses next week at the WGC Match Play, the media honks will glom onto Tiger's "Consecutive wins in PGA stroke play events streak".
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:left-handed beer golf
Now that sounds like some reality TV worth watching.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It's been quite a few years since I played (previously discussed, anyway) Beer Golf.

I think there's a million variations, but the way we did it -- before hitting of a tee(including #1) each player has to have downed a 12oz beer. Obviously, you need to power one before starting at #1. Then, you have from the first shot on #1 until the tee shot at #2 to down another. Can either be done while walking down the fairway and putting, or can be shotgunned right before the teeshot...so long as the task is completed before the next teeshot.

I've never seen it accomplished through 18. 9 is hardcore, but quite do-able.

Me and a buddy did it with 16oz beers years ago...freaking ugly scene by the time we were on #9. Not recommended.

Although a couple of years back, a buddy and I were sitting around slamming beers one hot saturday summer morning. Another friend came by and picked us up and took us to the course. We stopped and got an 18-pack of something-or-other, and brought along the remaining beers we had. It was really hot, and those beers were going down good. And I'll be damned if the two of us...already drunk, mind you...didn't finish that 18er by the time the front 9 was done.

Shitty...absolutely shitty.

And in a strange, freakish display...my cohort, who was staggering just like I was...like to the point of losing his balance during practice swings...the bastard was 1-under going into #18. Not sure how the hell that happened. Random chance, I'm thinking. But I'll be damned if he didn't lawn-dart about 4 approaches in a row, and make the tap-ins.

Of course, #18 at this particular course is a brutal finishing hole, and pars really aren't the norn(not sure how they call it a par 4 on a public hacker course, it's a nearly 500 yard hole with a 90-degree dogleg which is outside most people's driving range to get a look around the corner). I think he put up an 8 to finish or something...spoiling what may have been the greatest feat of besotted fortitude in human history.

We still talk about that extremely funny day. Lots of "don't drink and drive" references when balls sliced off into the adjacent fairway(which my friend was still sticking on the greens).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sounds nice, but if it's not left-handed I'll be over at Whitey's house watching American Idol.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

BSmack wrote:The only streak that matters is consecutive events won.
RACK!
Dreams......Temporary Madness