Callaway X-20 Irons

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Callaway X-20 Irons

Post by indyfrisco »

Sorry Q, but I went witht he Callaway irons. However, I didn't get the Fusions. I got the X-20's. I was VERY tempted to get the X-20 Tours, but my game just isn't there yet. If I can get into the 70s again, I may look at some sticks that are less forgiving but with more playability. I got the Precision Rifle Flighted 7.0 (XS) steel shafts and the black Winn Wrap grips built to midsize thickness. 3-5 days and I may have to get into the freezing weather and hit some balls.

My buddy got the Fusion wide soles, and boy am I glad I did not get those. He's being a little bitch because I told him how fucking ugly they are. Of course, he's 6'6" and built solid (he was a college football and played on pro practice teams) so I can't say too much to the dude, but he's family so he can take a lot of shit from me.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Callaway X-20 Irons

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:I may have to get into the freezing weather and hit some balls.

'Round these parts, the freezing weather isn't much of an issue. The silty soil and constant wetness is the problem.

Hasn't rained in about a week, and a ten-day like that, with little to no rain for a week or two in January is something of a rarity.

And it's getting the golf jones going in a pretty bad way.

Usually, I get out and play some in the winter. It's usually pretty muddy, but tolerable. But this time around, when the Wet Season started, there was no middle ground -- first day of November, the skies freaking opened, and everything became a mud-bowl. But a week or two of sunny, low-to-mid 50's, and I'll be able to find my ball in the fairway...although we'll probably be playing pick-clean-place into March or April.

And since about mid-October, I don't think I've so much as hit one ball. Gee, wonder how badly I'll suck? Smart money says the first digit of my nine hole score will be a 5. Usually don't get more than 9 in during winter, since daylight is short, and it's a little cold in the morning to hack.

I haven't checked out X-20's. Checked out some X-14 and X-18, and they were awfully sweet clubs. But as a very general rule, just about any golf product I've encountered that said Calloway on it was pretty darn nice(and generally overpriced). I'm betting you've got quite the jones on to go swing away with them.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, I've definitely got a hard-on to go swing some. The X-20s are Calloway's new upgrade to the 18s, which were upgrades to the 14s I believe. The X-20 Tours looked sweet as hell, but my game is now 88-92 and I can't be hitting clubs made for single digit handicappers just yet.

Weather here is right at 30-32. I just want to go out to the club and hit a few balls down the fairway. Pretty wet here too still. I have a key tot he clubhouse. I built an indoor training facility there but I would rather see some ball flight rather than hit into a net.

ANyhow, i n about 5 days, I should get them in the mail.

Here's the new X-20s

Here's the TOur's that I wanted to get but thought better of it:

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Does the Tour Model have a more shallow cavity? Is that the deal?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

There's quite a few differences. Longer hosel, narrower sole, smaller head, higher toe. Here's a video on it that tells about some of the differences.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/en.CLUBS.Ir ... ink-2.html
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I think I just need to stop. I don't need to be watching any Callaway promotion vids.

While my titanium/R-graphite Armours sure hit the ball nice, I'm longing to get back to a steel iron with steel shafts. Absolutely nothing wrong with mine...I just prefer steel.

One of my golf buds sold golf supplies when the Armour T100's came out. Pretty much said "Those were kind of the bomb in their day, and weren't a cheap club. It's just people who bought or demo'ed them back them all felt the same way as you do about yours -- lose a little distance, and nobody like the dull-thud feel. You just don't get the 'feedback' with a titanium head and a R-graphite shaft."

I actually had some feelers out on a classified site last year, and had some interesting trade proposals for them. Might have to try that again this year. I think a guy wanted to swap a set of ...what the heck are they called...DFT? Someone else had a set of Big Bertha irons, but I think one was missing...screw that. I was kind of hoping to hold out for a set of X-14's, or something like that. Old guys seem to think these Armours are all that and a bag of chips or something.

Plus, if no other reason, I'm sure I'll break one of the regular-flex shafts in a fit of rage, sooner or later...making steel a much better bet for me -- I've only ever broken a couple of those in anger.
Mile-Hi T
Elwood

Post by Mile-Hi T »

Honestly fellas, does the club make the difference?

I am using some OLD Ping eye-2s, with graphite shafts....The first clubs that i have used, and I am shooting a 85.
I am not saying that I am knocking flags down, but do IRONS make that much of a difference? You can either hit them or you can't, right?

I played a round in Kenya, with rented clubs, and I shot the best round of my life.
I DID have a caddy, and I DID play with a new set of Tommy Armours (are they good?)..I don't know.
The caddy made it possible.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

But it's also nice to have something that feels good to you, be it a set of low-end 1960's blades, or a set of X-20s.

And it's not like you're swinging junk with your Eye2s.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Dinsdale wrote:It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

But it's also nice to have something that feels good to you, be it a set of low-end 1960's blades, or a set of X-20s.

And it's not like you're swinging junk with your Eye2s.
that's True!

however, graphite shaft technology from "back in the day" vs. shaft technology NOW is night to day.

a "shaft upgrade" would probably tighten up shot dispersion. (mis-hits go straighter, distance is more consistent, etc.)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Qbert wrote: however, graphite shaft technology from "back in the day" vs. shaft technology NOW is night to day.
I have some pretty fancy-schmancy Aldilas in my irons, and I'll still take stiff steel any day.

And I notice Tiger Woods has a True Temper Dynamic Gold - Stiff in every club he swings except the driver(if you'll remember, he used to swing a steel headed driver with a steel shaft his first few years on the Tour...sup, "inferior equipment." He also used to tee off on most par 4s with a 2I).

Then again, I doubt anyone is going to compare my game to that of Tiger anytime soon...

As an aside, I'm not alone amongst my golfing friends in having no use whatsoever for graphite shafts or cavity back heads on wedges. Just my opinion, but I think cavity back sand and lob wedges are worthless...to me, anyway.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mile-High T,

Have you ever been on a 10 year span where every wedge you hit results in a coon? If not, then STFU. For me, irons are EVERYTHING. If I miss the green, I'm looking at a double at best. Lucky for me, I usually hit about 50% GIR. If not for that, I'd be in the 100s every round.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote: Have you ever been on a 10 year span where every wedge you hit results in a coon?
It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian, son.

Sorry -- my MADGAMED golf bud always spouts that trademark line whenever anyone bitches about club...nevermind that said madgamer is swing a few thousand bucks worth of custom shit.