http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

Tomlin DENIES report.........

Interesting.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Looks like someone at SI jumped the gun.

I don't know much about Tomlin except that he's done an excellent job wherever he's been. If he does get the job, I won't be unhappy at all.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mile-Hi T
Elwood

Post by Mile-Hi T »

SI just reported that Al Davis has just sold his jumpsuit to KC Paul for a case of slimfast and a DQ coupon.
Believe that one!
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Multiple outlets are now reporting Tomlin has the job. I like the hire. Hiring young D coordinators has worked out well for the Steelers.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

BSmack wrote:I like the hire.
Don't know much about the man... but...

It's gotta be a better move than retrieving Gailey from the scrap heap.... The Cardinals playoff winless streak would be at 60 years and counting were it not for this loser.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

BSmack wrote:Multiple outlets are now reporting Tomlin has the job. I like the hire. Hiring young D coordinators has worked out well for the Steelers.
The hire makes me nervous.
The Stiller's D under Cowhers tenure was usually pretty good, sometimes VERY good. Rarely were they poor. This was using the 3-4. Tomlin will most assuredly switch it to the 4-3 and say good-bye to Lebeau.

Yeah, I'm reeeeeal comfortable with the hire. :meds:

Further, Grimm will assuredly leave. At a time when the Stiller's O-line is aging and new blood will have to be brought in at some point, the departure of Grimm is even more noteworthy. As a matter of fact, it pretty much sucks. Yes, Grimm would have been the HC but would surely have tossed his valuable $.02 in.

I hope to hell I'm proven wrong, but as far as I can tell, this sucks.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I am not finding anything definitive. Wait a minute http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16723895/

There it is.

Maybe Russ Grimm will come home.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Ken wrote:
BSmack wrote:Multiple outlets are now reporting Tomlin has the job. I like the hire. Hiring young D coordinators has worked out well for the Steelers.
The hire makes me nervous.
The Stiller's D under Cowhers tenure was usually pretty good, sometimes VERY good. Rarely were they poor. This was using the 3-4. Tomlin will most assuredly switch it to the 4-3 and say good-bye to Lebeau.
The Post Gazzette is reporting that Tomlin will keep LeBeau.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755916-66.stm

IMO, the Steelers do not have the personnel on hand to run a 4-3 Cover 2 defense. That Tomlin also appears to recognize this bodes well for the Steelers.
Yeah, I'm reeeeeal comfortable with the hire. :meds:

Further, Grimm will assuredly leave. At a time when the Stiller's O-line is aging and new blood will have to be brought in at some point, the departure of Grimm is even more noteworthy. As a matter of fact, it pretty much sucks. Yes, Grimm would have been the HC but would surely have tossed his valuable $.02 in.

I hope to hell I'm proven wrong, but as far as I can tell, this sucks.
The press conference is in 1 hour. I think we'll have a whole lot more to go on by then.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The biggest headline in all of this is the loss of Grimm. Retaining LeBeau is key...but we'll mis Grimm BADLY.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Didnt the Viking defense stink last year?
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I hope there's room for Grimm in Washington's organization. He was a class guy. It would mean a lot to white people everywhere if he could coach for the team he used to play for in some capacity.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

The Assassin wrote:Didnt the Viking defense stink last year?
Minnesota ranked 8th overall last year and gave up the least amount of rushing yards. Tomlin is a solid hire. I guess the Boys will be left with scraps to choose from.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I wasn't referring to race relations. Oops I did say "white people everywhere", I meant "everywhere in Dan Snyder's booth at Fed Ex field".

Yeah, Grimm, might actually help grow some depth and stability in the O-Line.

He was and is a CLASS guy. I hope P'burgh's loss is our gain.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

PSUFAN wrote:The biggest headline in all of this is the loss of Grimm. Retaining LeBeau is key...but we'll mis Grimm BADLY.
Losing Grimm as an assistant coach may hurt, but not nearly as bad as it would have hurt to give him the HC job. If the day ever does come where some team is dumb enough to hire Grimm as a HC he'll be an absolute train wreck. I know this Bengals fan was hoping like hell that Grimm got the job.

Tomlin, who knows. I'm just playing the odds that the organization can't hit a HR for a third straight time with their coaching hire!!!
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Heard Tomlin interviewed on Mike & Mike this morning...said all the right things. Sounds like a good guy. Even though the guy coached in my division, I don't know a thing about him after just one season with the Vikings. He sounds like he's got the same energy and zest for the game that Cowher did when he first started. Seems like this was a good hire but we'll see how this team performs to give us a true indication of his coaching ability.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

mvscal wrote:Who cares? He's black.
:D
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
mvscal wrote:Who cares? He's black.
Serious question: what the HELL is the matter with you?
Certainly you aren't stupid enough to believe that he was hired for any other reason?

Oh..wait, nevermind.
They had a chance to hire a far more popular black candidate (Joe Greene) 15 years ago and passed on him for Cowher. What makes you think this is any different? The last 4 Steelers coaches have all been defensive coordinators in their mid 30s. Tomlin fits that profile perfectly.

IMO, Tomlin was chosen the nanosecond it became apparent that Rivera wouldn't be available until Feb 6th. Otherwise they would have given Rivera a chance to make his case.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:They had a chance to hire a far more popular black candidate (Joe Greene) 15 years ago
15 years ago the "Rooney Rule" wasn't in place. Rooney had no choice. He had to hire a jungle bunny even if he doesn't fit the system.
Yea, cause we all know NFL owners got where they are by caving into non existent pressure. I've been following this coaching search as much as anybody and I have yet to see any kind of pressure applied to the Rooneys on this "issue". Never mind that I've already told you that Tomlin fits the Noll/Cowher profile perfectly.

BTW: You do know that the "Tampa 2" is nothing more than Bud Carson's old Steel Curtain defense? You did know that? Right?

Can't get much more Pittsburgh than that.

I suppose it never dawned on you that the Rooneys could see a time when LeBeau would retire (he is pushing 70) and were looking for a graceful way to migrate away from 100% reliance on the 3-4?

But no, that wouldn't make sense. Let's just drop that old race card. :meds:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

So what you're saying is that you have nothing to back up your claim save your insistence that the Rooney Rule somehow boxed an owner notorious for not giving into to public opinion into a corner where, despite nothing in the way of public outcry in any way, shape or form, he was forced to hire a candidate he believed to be inferior just to stave off a non existent public outcry.

That's one hell of a tin foil hat you're wearing. Yo get that at WalMart?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:This is Rooney's first head coaching hire after the adoption of the stupid rule bearing his name. Had he not hired a coon, he would have been ripped (quite rightly) by everyone even remotely connected to the game for being a pathetic hypocrite.
They did two weeks worth of due diligence on Tomlin. If they thought he wasn't the guy, they could have hired Grimm or Rivera without nary a peep from the peanut gallery. Rivera was a minority interview as well. And Grimm had the backing of a whole lot of players, many of them African American. Had they hired Grimm, they would have only needed to trot out one player after another to shut up the critics. Never mind that the Pittsburgh media loves Grimm and would have been more than happy to provide any cover needed.

Seriously mv, I know more about the Steelers than you do.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
quacker backer
Elwood

Post by quacker backer »

BSmack wrote: Seriously mv, I know more about the Steelers than you do.
I could say that most all of us know more about anything and everything than mv does...
Terry in Crapchester wrote: But this board doesn't exactly represent reality.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

quacker backer wrote:
BSmack wrote: Seriously mv, I know more about the Steelers than you do.
I could say that most all of us know more about anything and everything than mv does...
You could say that, and in so doing you could confirm what a total dumbfuck you are. I don’t always agree with his opinions or positions, but from what I’ve seen over the years on various boards, the dude knows more than you about virtually any subject you can name that doesn’t involve male on male sex. Stupid fucktard.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

mvscal wrote: Tomlin's (no better than "OK") qualifications are quite clearly secondary to the fact that he is black.
I'm sure Rooney turned over the future of an NFL franchise that's worth $700 million plus just to be politically correct.....
get out, get out while there's still time
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Well he did admit that Tomlin was a long shot when the process started. How does a guy go from a long shot to a head coach when there are more qualified candidates available, especially one whom BSmack admitted had the backing of a lot of players on the team?
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Whether mvscal is right or wrong, he makes sense.

Would look kind of odd if the head of the league's diversity committee didn't hire a black coach. He can't cower behind Cowher and since he's making rules like this.

I think somebody's got something on Rooney.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Tom In VA wrote:Whether mvscal is right or wrong, he makes sense.
It only makes sense if you know next to nothing about how the Steelers do their business.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

mvscal wrote:The Squealers are no different than any other team in that respect.

Your owner hired a token. Deal with it.

Ummmmmm.......RACK?

DID STEELERS YANK RUG FROM GRIMM?

As the media continues to try to understand the process that resulted in conflicting reports regarding whether the Steelers would hire Mike Tomlin or Russ Grimm to be the team's next head coach, the hot rumor at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama (where various league types currently are gathered) is that Grimm was indeed offered the job before it went to Tomlin.

As the story goes, the Steelers called Grimm on Saturday and told him not to believe what the media was reporting about Tomlin. Then, the Steelers and Grimm negotiated a contract, and Grimm was told that he could tell his family that he was the guy, which he did.

But then, as the story goes, Commissioner Roger Goodell got involved and suggested to Steelers chairman Dan Rooney that it would be nice if the Steeler would hire one of the minority candidates, given that the Rooney Rule was named after him. Rooney relented.

On Sunday morning, Rooney met with Art II and Kevin Colbert and told them about the decision. Both initially disagreed because a deal had been done with Grimm. But the contract hadn't been signed, and Art II and Colbert deferred to Dan.

Grimm was then told about the decision, and he was obviously pissed. But, to date, he has been discreet regarding his displeasure, presumably because he plans to continue working in the industry that has only 32 job locations. Tomlin was then called on Sunday afternoon, and he was informed that he was the guy.

One source told us that he has been hearing this rumor "all day" in Alabama. Though we're not saying that any of this actually happened, the mere fact that this story is making the rounds at the Senior Bowl is newsworthy, in our opinion.

Especially since the events that transpired on Saturday night and Sunday were so damn bizarre.

Meanwhile, a reader tells us that Mike Prisuta of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has been insisting in radio appearances that his story linking Grimm to the job was on the money. Though we poked fun at Prisuta's predicament on Sunday, it could be that he was right, after all.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Christ. Tell me this is a joke..........Rooney and his "rule" can eat a fucking dick.

Here's an novel idea: How about hiring who the fuck you want when you want to if you own the team.

Crazy talk, I know.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Raydah James wrote:But then, as the story goes, Commissioner Roger Goodell got involved and suggested to Steelers chairman Dan Rooney that it would be nice if the Steeler would hire one of the minority candidates, given that the Rooney Rule was named after him. Rooney relented.
That strikes me as very odd considering Goodell owes his job to Dan Rooney.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

So...we have THIS Story, Russ Grimm joining Wisenhunt in Phoenix and the Stoolerz hiring Bruce Arians as OC...

Arians = teh SUCK!

c'mon Bri'....you remember Arians as the BROWNS OC....don't you???? :mrgreen:

4 days ago; the future was looking BRIGHT for the Stoolerz...now things are looking Grim? :mrgreen:

Best of Luck Coach Tomlin...heard you on Mike and Mike this morning (like Shoalze)...you sound pretty impressive!

I truthfully hope that this story is not True...BUT, that really doesn't matter...'cuz the PRECEPTION will ALWAYS Be There. SUX for you.

RACK Jaymes on the FIND....gotta RACK mvscal too.
Last edited by Qbert on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Qbert wrote:So...we have THIS Story, Russ Grimm joining Wisenhunt in Phoenix and the Stoolerz hiring Bruce Arians as OC...

Arians = teh SUCK!

c'mon Bri'....you remember Arians as the BROWNS OC....don't you???? :mrgreen:
I remember Arians working with a whole bunch of shit players in Cleveland. Obviously he'll have better talent to work with in Pittsburgh. :wink:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

See now is where Grimm, if he was so inclined could suggest RACIAL. Most ignorant people call it "reverse discrimination" but that is a misnomer. One either discriminates based on race or one does not. It seems clear ........ Rooney did .....

Or did he ?
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Heh...no Bri'--->he SUCKS!

(nevermind the 429 yd. passing game from Kelly Holcomb vs. YOU in the Playoffs....fucking Dennis Northcutt)
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Tom In VA wrote:See now is where Grimm, if he was so inclined could suggest RACIAL. Most ignorant people call it "reverse discrimination" but that is a misnomer. One either discriminates based on race or one does not. It seems clear ........ Rooney did .....

Or did he ?
The HBJ is GIFTED...in turning a misnomer into a Watch! (i see you working here....i'll RACK IT! I've gotta say...HBJ has been BUTTER for about 5 days straight...Dude is flat out ROLLING....)

this will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Grimm got screwed (at 1st Glance); StoolerFAN and StoolerPLAYERS got screwed (at 1st Glance).

its a helluva way for Tomlin to Start his HC career.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

jiminphilly wrote:Well he did admit that Tomlin was a long shot when the process started. How does a guy go from a long shot to a head coach when there are more qualified candidates available, especially one whom BSmack admitted had the backing of a lot of players on the team?
Who knows? Maybe they're setting him up for spectacular failure.

Parcells might be available next year.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Everyone knows Rooney has been compensating for the (probably erroneous) claim that his father's organization was "racist". He's taken every possible opportunity to do so over the years.

The other part of it is, they seem to like to start somewhat fresh when they hire a coach. Cowher was an unheralded hire that had Burghers scratching their heads; this is similar.

Myself, I will wait to see what happens. Cowher was a good coach because he worked for good people who were hesitant to fire guys, and because he was able to assemble great assistants, and because he was an emotional leader.

None of us know that Tomlin isn't up to the job. Rack the Rooneys for making a bold move, rather than the move dictated by prevailing "wisdom".
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

sure!

and Cowher can come back to the BROWNS too!

the STOOLERZ didn't set Tomlin up....Wags.....they're just helping him over the Fence.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

PSUFAN wrote: Rack the Rooneys for making a bold move, rather than the move dictated by prevailing "wisdom".

So you don't think Roger Goodall had any influence in this hire?
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Qbert wrote:Grimm got screwed (at 1st Glance); StoolerFAN and StoolerPLAYERS got screwed (at 1st Glance).
Actually StoolerFAN got lucky and the fans of the other AFC North teams, myself included, got screwed. Grimm would have been an unmitigated disaster as a HC.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

jiminphilly wrote:
PSUFAN wrote: Rack the Rooneys for making a bold move, rather than the move dictated by prevailing "wisdom".
So you don't think Roger Goodall had any influence in this hire?
I seriously doubt it. Like I said before, Goodell owes his job to Rooney.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown