DirectTV or other?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I have dish network. It works OK, but, install fees were kinda steep, around 300. Find these out before signing. You will lose reception during fairly heavy rain, or , atleast I do. Don't know 'bout snow, but, I should find out soon.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Mace, you can get high speed DSL internet through Yahoo/AT&T. I had problems with it at first due to attenuation loss, but I've called in the problem enough to where they finally fixed the problem.

In the New York market, Steinbrenner's YES network basically took away FoxSports Channel unless I wanted to pay $15 extra/month. So I didn't see what used to be The Best Damn Sports Show. Now that I'm back, I see that Rodney Peete idiot on there. So I don't watch that show anymore due to him being on as a regular.

Just go to a bar to watch the game and have a designated driver.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I have noticed that Iowa is up 14-3 over the Shorthorns right now.

Your son can enjoy a stiff Roy Rogers drink at the bar with you. 16 and he must have a drivers license by now right?

I would be absolutely pissed if those media companies fucked with the BCS games like this. Someone needs to go.

Money Shot
Elwood

Re: DirectTV or other?

Post by Money Shot »

Mace wrote:Our cable provider is currently in a squabble with the Sinclair Co. (local FOX station) and, as luck would have it, Fox will be taken off our cable on Jan 6.....2 days prior to the BCS championship. I'm looking for input on the pros and cons of some of the dish companies out there. DirectTV and a couple of others have been offering some installation deals (4 receivers/HD package/etc) and they're all offering some pretty competitive deals. What kind of costs should I expect after the 12 month locked in prices? Reception differences? Down time? Anybody have an opinion or advice for an oldtimer who's not familiar with anything but cable and listening to The Green Hornet on the radio?

Mace
There shouldn't be an installation charge for satellite if you shop around. I think the sat TV providers subsidize the installing company for this service.

You can look into putting up an outside antenna if all you want to watch is FOX. It's an over the air channel, so slap up an antenna. Go one better and get a HD box to plug into your antenna and watch how clear your TV can really become.

Or just switch to satellite and get your FOX fix through your satellite company. Dish Network seems to be a little cheaper than DirecTV, but Dish doesn't have the $200 ripoff that is the NFL ticket. Other than that, they're pretty similar.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Depending on your local phone service provider, you might be able to order DBS through them and get a discount. AT&T has a deal with Dish Network and you can get 4-5 bucks a month off and it is billed on your phone bill. Plus they are running a special in Texas through AT&T where you can get one year free of the Americas Top 60 package for one year.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

I switched from Comcast to Direct TV this fall - got a great deal for buying NFL Sunday ticket. Since that deal expired, I'm now on a deal where I get the total choice plus, The HBO & Showtime packages and the total is around $88 per month. I have 2 receivers and 1 DVR. The $59.99 deal looks real good, and your locked in for a year.

Your install will be free, but here's the deal with the receivers, you get the first one free then they charge you $5.00 per receiver, per month. You can't buy them, only rent them. So if you don't need 4, don't get 4. I had mine wired so the Receiver / TV in the recroom goes out to the upstairs (My sons rooms) This saves on the extra receiver they don't need (it's always on Boom or cartoon network). I also wired out from the DVR in our bedroom to the second cable in on the Big screen in the living room. This way if I record anything and we want to watch it in the living room, I just flip over to cable 2.

Absolutely get the DVR - It's $5.99 per month, but well worth it. You can record 2 shows at the same time, and it rocks watching only what you want to see when your ready.

As for losing signal, you will lose signal in heavy rain, but it's typically only down for 10 minutes or so till the thick stuff passes over.

Speaking of Fox, one thing I discovered this summer - I added the fox sports channels thinking I'd get all the MLB games broadcast over the various Foxes - No. They blacked out the baseball games unless you lived in that market. In order to get the MLB games you have to buy the MLB package. Needless to say I canceled the Fox channels.

Overall, I've been real happy, though it was frustrating the first couple weeks figuring out the menu's on the DVR. Their tech support is A+ and they are there 24/7

Anything else, just ask......
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

The reason I give the nod to Dish Network is that they offer dual tuner receivers. This way I can have 4 TVs hooked up but only need 2 receivers and only pay one 5$ charge for an additional receiver. Plus the DVR is accessible from 2 TVs. And Dish has more HD content which is not quite as compressed as Direct Tv.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

campinfool wrote:The reason I give the nod to Dish Network is that they offer dual tuner receivers. This way I can have 4 TVs hooked up but only need 2 receivers and only pay one 5$ charge for an additional receiver. .
So you can watch 2 different TV/shows from one receiver?

How does that work (You set the remote for TV # 1 then TV # 2 in another room?)
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

yep. It has 2 outputs. TV1 connects to a set via coax, RCA, or S-video directly to the receiver, and the second TV gets the signal from a diplexer over the home's original coax. The TV2 has a remote that operates a couple of hundred feet wirelessly to the main receiver. Both sets view independent channels.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Cool.

My neighbor has Dish and has only good things to say about it.

For me the outweighing factor was getting Sunday Ticket. But to be honest, it wasn't as great as I expected. flipping games is cool, but the novelty wore off after a couple weeks.

May look at changing to Dish after my year is up.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Dish also has a no contract option with a money back guarantee.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

I got Direct TV which comes by satellite. I have not lost reception for more than about 5 minutes in the 6 months I have had it.

I think my base rate is $ 38, and I get the NFL Ticket, cause my kid does some shit with the Marine Corps at a lot of games and I want to be able to see that. I added the Military Channel and Aviation Channel here a while back, and I think we still under $ 60 a month.

They came out, did a good job installing it, got 3 recievers installed, living room, spare room and another out to my office. No charge on all of that, I got it through Verizon same as my phone so its all on one bill.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Mace,
My cable company almost had a similar issue earlier this year when they nearly had to drop NBC because of a money squabble. This was just a couple of weeks before the Olympics. They finally came to an 11th hour agreement but I was going to switch to DirecTV if they didn't.

I had DirecTV for about five years (from 1996 to 2001) and liked it. The two cons for me are: 1) during a bad storm, you lose service. Murphy's Law dictates that it happens while you're watching something important like a live sporting event or PPV and 2) satellite cannot do On Demand stuff. Those are basically deal killers for me (barring the cable company dropping a major network which will trump my two cons).
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Rack Fu wrote:Mace,
My cable company almost had a similar issue earlier this year when they nearly had to drop NBC because of a money squabble. This was just a couple of weeks before the Olympics. They finally came to an 11th hour agreement but I was going to switch to DirecTV if they didn't.
If memory serves me correctly the same thing happened between a SF NBC station & Dish Network. Never heard the outcome of the bruhaha.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Rack Fu wrote:2) satellite cannot do On Demand stuff
Like what?

On Direct TV you can order any movie or PPV event
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

DirecTV is like Comcast, in that you can "haggle" with their reps. I told the dumb whore who answered the 1800 number that I was switching back to Comcast, and she renewed my subscription at the promotional rate.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Tardowen wrote:
Derron wrote:I got Direct TV which comes by satellite.
Satelitte?

No.....really?:shock:
Jump on Derron all you want, but at least he can spell the fucking word. That's not a typo on your part, BTW.

Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

KC Scott wrote:
Like what?

PPV can only be ordered during certain time periods ( ie. the movie starts at 8:00, etc.)

On Demand is literally on demand. You can look up anything in the library and watch it whenever you'd like. You don't have to wait until a predetermined showtime. Satellite is incapable of, for lack of a better term, streaming a movie or TV show. Cable has that ability as, for lack of a better term (again), it's a two way communication. Satellite isn't a two way communication as it beams one signal to all users. Cable communication can be individualized.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Rack Fu wrote:
KC Scott wrote:
Like what?

PPV can only be ordered during certain time periods ( ie. the movie starts at 8:00, etc.)

On Demand is literally on demand. You can look up anything in the library and watch it whenever you'd like. You don't have to wait until a predetermined showtime. Satellite is incapable of, for lack of a better term, streaming a movie or TV show. Cable has that ability as, for lack of a better term (again), it's a two way communication. Satellite isn't a two way communication as it beams one signal to all users. Cable communication can be individualized.
OK - Not a big deal for me, since if I want to order a movie, I just let the DVR record it and watch it whenever.

I'll say the first provider, whether it's cable, Sat or whatever that let's you pick just the channels you want will become the market leader. Of the 185 channels on premium +, we watch maybe 30 at most.

They keep saying it's cheaper to have them all bundled, I guess the shopping channels probably pay to be on the system, but as for the rest, I'm sure they charge the providers to be there.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Yes, the DVR makes On Demand a little less appealing but there's so much more. Let's say you missed the last season of The Sopranos. Just go to HBO On Demand and watch the episodes you missed. It's that easy.

I agree with you. I'll switch to any provider that gives me a la carte service first.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

UberTardowen wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:
Tardowen wrote: Satelitte?

Jump on Derron all you want, but at least he can spell the fucking word.

Sort of like jumping on you for being deformed while still being able to type.

BTW...do you wear an eyepatch while typing, keep an eye shut, or have you simply just adapted your vision to suit your physical deformity somehow?
Only the truly weak, like yourself, go to the eye thing or the fat thing when you know it's weak as you type a reply.

I blasted you on the Derron response and there you go with weak ass shit. Not surprised. See twat, turds/tards like yourself have nothing. No game, nada.

Hey tardowen, tonight is the night for you to off yourself. Just think about 2007 as being a very depressing year for you and your personal situation will actually get worse and not better. Think about that today as Saddam awaits you in Hades.

campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

If you want the best On Demand experience, order Dish Network throuh AT&T with a service called Homezone. Huge OD library and the receiver intergrates services with DSL. You can view yoy photos on the TV and access all your music file and stream Yahoo radio station on your TV and sound system. You can also access your DVR and program it from any computer remotely. No CATV can match that innovation.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Rack Fu wrote:
KC Scott wrote:
Like what?

With Direct, I have a phone line plugged into the box. I can order anything I want, any time I want with the fucking remote control. The phone line sends the signal DSL and the wherever orders the satellite to send what ever I order. Works fine.
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Toddowen wrote:
Derron wrote:I got Direct TV which comes by satellite.
Satelitte?

In misery for 2007 that you have not fullfilled your promise to off yourself MULTIPLE times, and you continue to post weak ass shit...i.e. " Your take on the NYE party where your homosexual buddy smells like a hookers snatch".. and then going wrongly to a spelling card blast...

Shame you were not in my hood, since your inflated dome would have made a good target for my midnight blast of my .357 Magnum out the bedroom window, instead of just launching the wadcutters into the air.
Derron
Money Shot
Elwood

Post by Money Shot »

Derron wrote:The phone line sends the signal DSL and the wherever orders the satellite to send what ever I order. Works fine.
I'm pretty sure it's more like a modem than DSL, but you get the idea.
tuff gong
Elwood

Post by tuff gong »

Toddowen wrote:
The downside to not dealing with a cable provider is being without high speed internet cable. I've been considering restarting basic cable service for that reason alone.
Instead, consider getting DSL through your phone company, if you don't already do this. Maybe it's just my computer, but I have high speed internet cable and I see no real difference between it and the DSL I used to have.
tuff gong
Elwood

Post by tuff gong »

Toddowen wrote:
The downside to not dealing with a cable provider is being without high speed internet cable. I've been considering restarting basic cable service for that reason alone.
Instead, consider getting DSL through your phone company, if you don't already do this. Maybe it's just my computer, but I have high speed internet cable and I see no real difference between it and the DSL I used to have.