Ahmet Ertegun...dead

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Ahmet Ertegun...dead

Post by Mikey »

No, morons, he's not Al Qaeda.

The founder of Atlantic Records died today at the age of 83.

Atlantic was founded in 1947 by Ahmet Ertegun and Herb Abramson. Upon its creation, Atlantic was principally a jazz and R&B label, though it also released some country western recordings as well. In the early fifties Ahmet was joined by Jerry Wexler and then Nesuhi Ertegun. From 1955 Nesuhi headed the company's jazz division and was responsible for major signings such as Charles Mingus and John Coltrane; later Joel Dorn filled this position. Although it began as an independent record company, it became a major player in the music business in the 1960s, with mainstream pop signings like Sonny and Cher. Competing record labels included Columbia Records and RCA Records.

Other early signings included Joe Turner, Ruth Brown, The Clovers, The Drifters, and Ray Charles.

Ahmet Ertegün wrote a number of classic blues songs, including "Chains of Love" and "Sweet Sixteen", under the pseudonym A. Nugetre (Ertegün backwards). The songs were given expression first by Big Joe Turner and continue in B.B. King's repertoire. "Nugetre" also wrote the Ray Charles' hit "Mess Around", with lyrics that drew heavily on Pinetop Smith.

During the 1960s, Ahmet heard Led Zeppelin's demo and knew they would be a smash hit after hearing the first few songs. He quickly signed them. He also convinced Crosby, Stills and Nash to allow Neil Young to join them on one of their tours, thereby founding Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

Ahmet also used his considerable personal skills in negotiations with major stars, such as when The Rolling Stones were shopping for a record company to distribute their independent Rolling Stones Records label. Ertegun personally conducted the negotiations with Mick Jagger, successfully completing the deal between The Stones and Atlantic, when other labels had actually offered the band more money.

He and his brother Nesuhi also co-founded the New York Cosmos soccer team of the North American Soccer League. They were instrumental in bringing in soccer legends like Pelé, Carlos Alberto and Franz Beckenbauer to the club. They transformed the Cosmos into a dreamteam. Their love for soccer was the reason that the Cosmos were born.
Last edited by Mikey on Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Re: Ahmet Ertegun...dead

Post by Tom In VA »

Mikey wrote:No, morons, he's not Al Qaeda.
Yeah but was he in any sitcoms ?
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Mikey

Re: Ahmet Ertegun...dead

Post by Mikey »

Tom In VA wrote:
Mikey wrote:No, morons, he's not Al Qaeda.
Yeah but was he in any sitcoms ?
I wouldn't know. I don't waste my time watching ioditic sitcoms.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

What does Ahmet Ertegun have to do with Ahmet Erteguns Death?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Ingse Bodil
Elwood
Location: To those who prayed, thank you. They helped her Homegoing painlessly instead of on a ventilator.

Post by Ingse Bodil »

all the alleged rock fans here, and only 2 people have anything to say in regards to the man's death? that's not cool.
X wrote:Ludacris... was kicked off the Pepsi brand ad campaign based on explicit lyrics in his album. But with Snoop, here's a coon who admittedly sold drugs and gang banged, was charged with murder and maybe even slapped his wife, representing one of the largest corporations in America--in essence, selling cars to sixty year old white men and blue-haired white women.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

first the Chiefs owner then the Atlantic Records Owner now there's going to be a third famous owner to die
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The owner of the reindeer trolls?
Milner
Crack Whore

Post by Milner »

Ahmet Ertegün (born July 31, 1923) and Nesuhi Ertegün (November 26, 1917–April 15, 1989)

---They also co-founded the New York Cosmos soccer team of the North American Soccer League. They were instrumental in bringing in soccer legends like Pelé, Carlos Alberto and Franz Beckenbauer to the club.

^^^^^^^^

are we going to hold that against them ??
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Mikey wrote:The owner of the reindeer trolls?
Only if all the reindeer suicide out of respect for his passing.
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

I'm not touching this thread.

--Dins

Rip City
T1B Rules of Operation:

4. Forums. If you don't like it, leave. It is that simple.
----

OK, bye.