Another Central coach bites the dust

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

Another Central coach bites the dust

Post by Shoalzie »

Blackhawks fire Trent Yawney; Denis Savard takes over...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=186158&hubname=nhl

Yawney has been stuck with a team that was thin in talent and key guys could never stay healthy. They started well until injuries to Khabibulin, Havlat and Handzus hit all around the same time and Ruutu started the season on the injured list. I've said it before, the NHL would be better off with a strong Blackhawks team. The Rangers are having some success and I'm sure the New York market is following their progress. The L.A. market has the best team in the league and an up-and-coming team in their midst...plenty for them to pay attention to. The Blackhawks haven't mattered for quite a while and I don't think ChicagoFan has really noticed their absence the scene...just one playoff appearance since '97-98 is unexceptable for an Original 6 franchise.

Screw, what say you?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

shoalz, i didn't blink an eye upon hearing this news. considering this team, like the flyers, have been through say 15 coaches in the past six years, i'm not surprised.

what i'm truly not surprised about (but revolted) is fucking pulford still being employed. what the fuck does he have to do to get fired?

honestly, i don't get to watch the hawks that much. we got a tv in my area, but there aren't many hockey fans that i work with. sometimes we'll turn an OLN game on, but when it comes to the hawks, as you said, persona non grata here. when i get home from work, i'll watch the replay as much as i can stomach it. but, if it turn it on and they are down 3-0 early in the first like they were against the oil the other night, well, i'll fucking watch a NYPD blue rerun.

you were exactly right, the team had some talent, but it was very thin on it, and then everyone got hurt again. i'll say it again, khabibulen's contract is an absolute albatross, he'll never live up to the value of his contract. and bottom line, nothing will change until $ bill sells the team.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

This is what its come to...............the Hawks are an afterthought. This is sad. Well, has been sad. I miss the old Blackhawks of the early 90's. I miss the small arena, the rough and tumble play of Dirk Graham, Rick Vaive, Dave Manson, Adam Creighton, etc. I lived up there then and while I didn't like the team, I loved the cachet they had. Few in town really followed them (now almost none do) but those games in that old arena were the best sports events I've ever been to.

I know you can't live in the past.....and hiring Savvy won't get 'em there. Like Screw says, Wirtz selling the team is the only hope. This is a classic Original 6 team. Too much history, too much coolness to be in the ash heap of sports. Hopefully someday, the Leafs, Hawks, and Rangers will be legit forces in this league again.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Disagree on Khabibulin... I was at the Flames-Hawks game last week, and that dude was lights-out. Although the fact that even that superhuman effort couldn't keep the Hawks from getting throttled perhaps does suggest having a goalie of that calibre is pointless. The team in front of him played gawdawful.

But the contract isn't an albatross. Success in hockey always starts with two things: culture and a goaltender. The Hawks have one of those, Denis Savard sure as hell ain't gonna provide the other.
Still a FlameFan
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

I think the story is false because I did not see Rat Packstrodamus's prediction on it first.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

'stang, that is truly one of the saddest things about the downfall of the hawks: the old culture they had when they were playing at the stadium. the first nhl game i ever saw was flames/hawks in 97 for a birth in the playoffs: winner advances, loser stays home for may. amazingly enough (in retrospect), the place was absolutely full and (not) hearing the anthem being sung because the place was going ape shit was one of the most surreal experiences i have had. taking the bus back downtown, i can remember the bus completely emptying out for the stop at cheli's chili on madison. i always wanted to go there.

that culture carried over into the new arena for a few years, but as a sign of the times: cheli's chili no longer exists in chicago, a clear sign no one gives a shit about hockey in chicago, and nor they should. this franchise is an absolute abomination. back in the day, i used to look forward to making a christmas trip to chicago to see the hawks. now, i'd rather spend half the money and see the second day of the GLI in detroit. very sad.

JD, you're right. the hawks do have a goaltender and a culture, unfortunately, that culture is pathetic and accepts underperformance.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Hawks move to 3-0 under Savy...how 'bout that?
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Cicatrix wrote:I think the story is false because I did not see Rat Packstrodamus's prediction on it first.
Dullard, I said Yawney was going to be fired way back in October. The writing was on the wall.
Pierre McGuire: "The Washington Capitals are the sleeping giants of the East. Exciting times in Washington are coming."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Rat Pack wrote:
Cicatrix wrote:I think the story is false because I did not see Rat Packstrodamus's prediction on it first.
Dullard, I said Yawney was going to be fired way back in October. The writing was on the wall.

I don't feel like digging up your old posts...where did you say that? Just out of curiousity...
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

With my perfect record of predictions... I don't have to dig up anything.

Go looking for yourself...prove me wrong.

Until you do that let's assume I am still the prediction champion of this swamp.
Pierre McGuire: "The Washington Capitals are the sleeping giants of the East. Exciting times in Washington are coming."
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

^^^ no one pays attention to you.

it's nice the team is playing well under savard, i don't expect it to hold up for very long.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

The Rat Pack wrote:Dullard, I said Yawney was going to be fired way back in October. The writing was on the wall.
So which is it? The writing was on the wall or you predicted it? Ya see its only a prediction if you make the call way before there are any rumblings about it. Like what you did when you made the "gutsy" call that the Flyers would shake things up. You oughta start one of those pyschic hotline dealies. Or be a weather man.

Are you saying that your predictions are merely the regurgitated ramblings of some other (and there are many) source out there?

Way to out yourself fuckwit.
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Let's settle down here, Cici. I don't want you to continue embarassing yourself..

The writing on the wall was that Yawney would be fired. The bold & brave prediction was that Yawney would be fired...and Denis Savard would be named head coach. No one was writing that back in October except for me....

I understand that you people have trouble getting your heads around my ability to grasp the workings of a big-league front office. Let's face it...it would be easy to say the Hawks would fire Yawney, but it is a whole other level to say that they'd replace him with Savard.

I also went 14 of 15 in my football pool for this week. Only a handful of people on the planet are capable of doing that. Did you see the schedule?
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Read my sig.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The trinity of futility is complete...Kitchen out, Andy Murray back in. The coaching in the Central has greatly improved in the last month with Murray and Hitchcock taking over their teams and Savard is off to a decent start now that Khabibulin and Havlat are healthy. Should make this division a little more interesting...
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

how mad is mike kitchen???

his players, the ones that revolted to get Q fired, took nights off and then undermined him, and got his ass canned with poor play

i guess tkachoke,weight, and others wont be on kitchens xmas card list, Kitchen has to get their knives out of his back

fuck all of them, trade them all for picks, this years draft is deep and talented, unlike last year.

tkachoke can take his weak ass game elsewhere
Last edited by Adelpiero on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Fuck me, that is hard to read, even for you, adel...
Still a FlameFan
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

JD wrote:Fuck me, that is hard to read, even for you, adel...
i know, i just reread it, ouch

i'll fix it.

i fucking pound the keyboard, no asdf jkl; here.