Scary

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Scary

Post by jtr »

All current fish, seafood species could collapse by 2048
Marine species loss is accelerating and threatening human well-being, according to a report published in the 3 November issue of the journal Science published by AAAS, the non-profit science society.

"Species have been disappearing from ocean ecosystems and this trend has recently been accelerating," said lead author Boris Worm. "Now we begin to see some of the consequences. For example, if the long-term trend continues, all fish and seafood species are projected to collapse within my lifetime -- by 2048." Worm is an assistant professor of marine conservation biology at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada.

In the paper "Impact of Biodiversity Loss on Ocean Ecosystem Services," an international team of ecologists and economists studied the role marine biodiversity plays in maintaining ecosystem services, which are those goods and functions that are essential for the growing human population.

"Worm and colleagues have provided the first comprehensive assessment of thestate of ecosystem services provided by the biodiversity of the world's oceans to humanity," said Science International Managing Editor Andrew Sugden. "The news is both bad and good.

"The strength of this paper lies in the breadth of the array of information the authors used for their analysis; they not only used new experimental data and recent data, they also delved into historical archives to assess the impact of humans on marine ecosystem overdecades and centuries," Sugden said.

"At this point," Worm said, "29 per cent of fish and seafood species have collapsed -- that is their catch has declined by 90 percent. It is a very clear trend, and it is accelerating. We don't have to use models to understand this trend; it is based on all the available data."

Researchers also determined that the problem is much greater than losing a key source of food. Damage to the oceans impact not only fisheries, but the ocean ecosystem's overall productivity and stability. Specific services that have declined involve the maintenance of water quality by biological filtering, the provision of nursery habitats and the protection of shorelines by marine species. The loss of marine diversity also appeared to increase the risks of beach closures, harmful algal blooms (red tide, for example), oxygen depletion, fish kills and coastal flooding.

Disaster can still be averted, scientists say

"The good news is that it is not too late to turn things around," Worm said. The scientists studied 48 areas worldwide that have been protected to improve marine biodiversity. "We see that diversity of species recovered dramatically, and with it the ecosystem's productivity and stability."

Researchers studied a variety of information in four meta-analyses, progressing from local to regional and global scales.

First, they analyzed 32 marine experiments that manipulated species diversity on small, local scales, and monitored the effects. Second, researchers tracked the 1,000-year-long history of change in species diversity and associated services across 12 coastal regions around the world. These included Chesapeake, Delaware, Massachusetts, Galveston, San Francisco Bay and Pamlico Sound (all U.S.), The Bay of Fundy and Gulf of St. Lawrence (Canada), The Adriatic, Baltic and North Seas (Europe), as well as Moreton Bay (Australia). Sources included archives, fishery records, sediment cores and archeological data.

Then, the team compiled global fisheries catch data from 64 large marine ecosystems to test for the effects of large-scale species loss on fisheries-related services. They used the fisheries database compiled by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and the Sea Around Us Project at the Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia. Finally, the scientists investigated how recovery of biodiversity in 48 marine protected areas -- reserves and fishery closures -- affected the recovery of services.

The researchers were surprised to find very similar relationships between biodiversity change and ecosystem services at scales ranging from small square-meter plots to entire ocean basins, Worm said. "This suggests that small-scale experiments can be used to predict large-scale ocean change.

"Through this research, it became clear to me that we hardly appreciate living on a blue planet," Worm said. "The oceans define our planet, and their fate may to a large extent determine our fate, now and in the future
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

you know mvscal there's more to life than sucking bush's dick.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

I'm not worried.

The coming Global Warming/Ice-Age will kill them long before 2048

In the mean time... bring me more salmonids
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Because if the world doesn't do something about this soon, mvs, we're going to have to find a new similie for the stench of your cunt.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Money Shot
Elwood

Re: Scary

Post by Money Shot »

jtr wrote:All current fish, seafood species could collapse by 2048
Marine species loss is accelerating and threatening human well-being, according to a report published in the 3 November issue of the journal Science published by AAAS, the non-profit LEFTIST science society.

"Species have been disappearing from ocean ecosystems and this trend has recently been accelerating," said lead author Boris Worm.
Fixed

and

Boris Worm. Stop it already, believing everything a guy named Boris Worm says is rediculous. Gee, Mr. Worm singlehandly is trying to wipe out all apples. Fucker.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Bush hasnt done much for the environment, did a little in 2001 and 2003 and that was it. Image
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

So you're saying that this is a deliberate ploy to chip away at the vast Republican Fish block-vote for the election?

Fucking hell. Those Democrat shit-stirring bastards.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

That pic of Bush brings this to mind:

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Re: Scary

Post by jtr »

Money Shot wrote:
jtr wrote:All current fish, seafood species could collapse by 2048
Marine species loss is accelerating and threatening human well-being, according to a report published in the 3 November issue of the journal Science published by AAAS, the non-profit LEFTIST science society.

"Species have been disappearing from ocean ecosystems and this trend has recently been accelerating," said lead author Boris Worm.
Fixed

and

Boris Worm. Stop it already, believing everything a guy named Boris Worm says is rediculous. Gee, Mr. Worm singlehandly is trying to wipe out all apples. Fucker.
Rack dude looks like a worm Image
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

PSUFAN wrote:That pic of Bush brings this to mind:

how about this pic of him: Image
1smoothG
Elwood

hmmm

Post by 1smoothG »

This is good news for JTR.

Now when he sits at an all you can eat seafood buffet crying because he's uncontrollably stuffing his face (again) in an effort to dull the pain of being alone and obese...

... he can tell the waitress "I'm fine, I'm just crying for the fish."
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

not so much, jackass.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --George W. Bush, Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

The ocean called, they're running out of shrimp.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Save the whales
Oh pretty Mama, save those whales
But shoot the seals
They're eating all the fish
Shoot the seals
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

e wrote: hopefully, buying enough tie-died "i got crabs" t-shirts will help the company offset the skyrocketing price of seafood .
Somebody around here must have that BlondieBabe pic.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

George Bush hates fish.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Cuda wrote:
e wrote: hopefully, buying enough tie-died "i got crabs" t-shirts will help the company offset the skyrocketing price of seafood .
Somebody around here must have that BlondieBabe pic.
You don't want to share your copy?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

E UNUM PLURIBUS
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

If it wasn't for your fearless war president's passing of the Gay Fish Marriage Amendment, you could have a
possible epidemic of mackarel and trout having unnatural sexual relations in a loving, two parent brook.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.