Let the debate begin.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

5. Dallas Cowboys
Oh, OK.

Maybe if the list was done in 1981.

The Browns seem about right, though. Fans there have suffered through decades of futility, only to have their hopes crushed in the two years they should have won it all.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Re: Cleveland the number one fan base?

Post by Ken »

The Assassin wrote:Pittsburgh 21#? WTF?
bizjournal wrote:Goal: The study’s objective is to identify the NFL’s best fans. Not the ones who turn out in strong numbers for a winning team, but the ones who stay loyal even if their team is losing, the weather is frightful or their local market is small.
There you go.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

That analysis is bullshit. It doesn't take into account that the Chargers have a very large and loyal local TV watching fan base.
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

I have no problem with the list as it reflects the last 9 years. But if you are looking for the best Fans over a long period of time…say over the last 30 years, the best Fans are…

Redskins #1
Broncos #2
Packers #3

Number 4 is not even in the picture!

This cracks me up…
“The Cleveland Browns stumbled to a 6-10 record last year, their third straight losing season. Browns Stadium was sold out for every game.”
“The Kansas City Chiefs entered the season with high hopes, but missed the playoffs for the second year in a row. Arrowhead Stadium was sold out for every game.”
“The Philadelphia Eagles plummeted to a 6-10 mark, their worst since 1999. Lincoln Financial Field was sold out for every game.”
Big fucking deal! The last time a Broncos game was not sold out was during the strike. Take the “strike season” out and you have to go back before most of the peeps in here were even born to find a game not sold out!

Denver is and always will be a Bronco Football town!
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

RadioFan wrote:
5. Dallas Cowboys
Oh, OK.

Maybe if the list was done in 1981.

The Browns seem about right, though. Fans there have suffered through decades of futility, only to have their hopes crushed in the two years they should have won it all.

Cowboys still have a loyal fan base. That being said, its another bullshit ranking system meaning nothing. The only ranking system that matters is at the end of the season with who won the Super Bowl.
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Any list that ranks the Buffalo Bills ahead of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Denver Broncos and Washington Reskins is absolute horseshit.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

Any list that does not have Pittsburgh #1 is absolute horseshit. You can argue who numbers two through five are, but Pittsburgh's fanbase is second to none.
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

Red,

If you’re talking about fan base, the Raiders are in the top 3
Ken

Post by Ken »

I quoted just one excerpt from their Methodology. It might do you guys some good to read it in its entirity. Again, the Steelers have not consistently sucked over the last ten years.
bizjournal wrote:Goal: The study’s objective is to identify the NFL’s best fans. Not the ones who turn out in strong numbers for a winning team, but the ones who stay loyal even if their team is losing, the weather is frightful or their local market is small.
The Browns always have and always will suck. Hence their ranking.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

gotsyphilis2002 wrote:I have no problem with the list as it reflects the last 9 years. But if you are looking for the best Fans over a long period of time…say over the last 30 years, the best Fans are…

Redskins #1
Broncos #2
Packers #3

This cracks me up…

... The last time a Broncos game was not sold out was during the strike. Take the “strike season” out and you have to go back before most of the peeps in here were even born to find a game not sold out!
Riddle me this, Rat-Man:

What do your top three “Best Fan” cities have in common?

Could it be that pro football was the only major game in town “30 years ago”? Oh, and lest you’re tempted to step on your own crank: The Senators departed 55,000-seat RFK for Texas back in ‘71, and the Rocks didn’t land in Elwayville ‘til ’92.

Meanwhile, MuleFan continues to openly complain about the less-than-capacity attendance in prime corporate seating, and your players bitch about how Ask Lesko at Piled High isn’t nearly the HFA that they once enjoyed at Mule Hide. Who knows, maybe the fans have trouble reading the new scoreboard to know when to cheer....

Better yet, just ask Jake Plummer or Shannon Sharpe where the "best fans" reside. They'd be quick to tell you: It ain't Denver.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Red wrote:Any list that does not have Pittsburgh #1 is absolute horseshit. You can argue who numbers two through five are, but Pittsburgh's fanbase is second to none.
Oh? How do you measure?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

godzilla2002 wrote:...you have to go back before most of the peeps in here were even born...
Guess again, chumpzilla.
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

Truman wrote:
gotsyphilis2002 wrote:What do your top three “Best Fan” cities have in common?

Could it be that pro football was the only major game in town “30 years ago”?
Holly shit, how did you get so far off base? Run if you have to but keep up! Are we not talking about Football Fans? Go back and read what I said… “Denver is and always will be a Bronco Football town!” And I’m damn proud of that fact! Baseball, Hockey, and Basketball blow compared to Football!

If you were alive and watched your beloved Chiefs in the late 70s and early 80’s you would have seen me and about 30 thousand other Bronco fans flat out take over Arrowhead stadium! Picking up tickets at half price from Chef fans was great, but nothing was better than hearing the loud chat of “HERE WE GO BRONCOS, HERE WE GO” in YOUR stadium! KC will NEVER be able to do that here!

BTW, Rack your “gotsyphilis” spin on my nic! Scott and Whitey could learn a thing or two from you and I’m sure Ctrl+C Paul will be using it soon.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Actually I'm surprised Chicago was so far down this list. Those fans are loyal to a fault. They are like Cubfan,they show up despite how bad the team is/was.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Ken wrote:I quoted just one excerpt from their Methodology. It might do you guys some good to read it in its entirity. Again, the Steelers have not consistently sucked over the last ten years.
Last I checked, the Steelers have had their down years (remember the 80s?), are a smaller market than Cleveland, have sold out since 3 Rivers opened and travel better than all but a few DI college teams. When the Browns turn Jack Murphy err Qualcom into Cleveland South, then that survey might mean something.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

jiminphilly wrote:
Red wrote:Any list that does not have Pittsburgh #1 is absolute horseshit. You can argue who numbers two through five are, but Pittsburgh's fanbase is second to none.
Oh? How do you measure?
As was pointed out, nobody travels like Steelerfan. It's one thing to sell out your own crib, but when you're filling up other teams' stadia that says a lot about your fanbase.
Ken

Post by Ken »

BSmack wrote:
Ken wrote:I quoted just one excerpt from their Methodology. It might do you guys some good to read it in its entirity. Again, the Steelers have not consistently sucked over the last ten years.
Last I checked, the Steelers have had their down years (remember the 80s?), are a smaller market than Cleveland, have sold out since 3 Rivers opened and travel better than all but a few DI college teams. When the Browns turn Jack Murphy err Qualcom into Cleveland South, then that survey might mean something.
Holy fuck. Must I state it again? Read the effing methodology of the study. Data was collected over the last 10 years. Overall, our Stillers most certainly haven't sucked. The Brown are the definition of suck.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I will say this though...
How nice it is to see a sea of terrible towels at other stadiums who's fans are supposedly much better than StillerFan according to this study.

Seeing as how % of capacity is one of the data points, props to StillerFan for elevating the rankings of shit-streak-for-teams like the Bills, Ravens, and Cowboys.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

godzilla2002 wrote:I have no problem with the list as it reflects the last 9 years. But if you are looking for the best Fans over a long period of time…say over the last 30 years, the best Fans are…

Redskins #1
Broncos #2
Packers #3

Was your scientific study published by any of the journals? What is your methodology beyond pulling stuff out of your ass?
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

Using that..ahem...logic, then maybe the Saints have the best fan base. Hell, the fact anyone showed up to watch them (prior to this season with Brees and Bush), was nothing short of a miracle. And there was certainly a hell of a lot more to do in NO then go watch them. At least the Browns were good back in the 50's and early 60's. The Saints winning tradition is the Bobby Hebert years....
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

Rack Fu wrote:Was your scientific study published by any of the journals?
It's been 2 years since I've seen an updated list for consecutive sell-outs but 2 years ago Washington was #1 followed by Denver than GB, that list did not include any strike games. I don’t need to see an updated list to know Washington, Denver and GB’s streaks are still alive. Go back 30 years and you will find several years where these 3 teams had lousy records but the fans still sold out their stadiums for every game over those 30 years.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

BSmack wrote:
Eagles fans are also notorious for travelling well.. a few years ago they took over a monday night game in Miami. Jacksonville was also overtaken by Eagles fans during the Super Bowl against the Patriots.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Ken wrote:Holy fuck. Must I state it again? Read the effing methodology of the study. Data was collected over the last 10 years. Overall, our Stillers most certainly haven't sucked. The Brown are the definition of suck.
It is that methodology that is HORSESHIT. Maybe when they find a formula that includes the amount fans are willing to pay over face value to travel to see their team (never mind to see a game in perpetualy sold out Hienz Field) they will have a study worth talking about. Also, their study only takes into account the population of the team's home area. Teams like the Steelers, Raiders, Packers and Cowboys have loyal and longtime fan bases that are nationwide in scope. It is simply a fataly flawed idea.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

There are more Steeler fans than Jags fans here. It seems that way, anyhow.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

BSmack wrote:Teams like the Steelers, Raiders, Packers and Cowboys have loyal and longtime fan bases that are nationwide in scope. It is simply a fataly flawed idea.
I agree 100%.
Ken

Post by Ken »

BSmack wrote:It is that methodology that is HORSESHIT.
NOW we're on the same page, bri. Saw the light, eh?
Maybe when they find a formula that includes the amount fans are willing to pay over face value to travel to see their team (never mind to see a game in perpetualy sold out Hienz Field) they will have a study worth talking about. Also, their study only takes into account the population of the team's home area. Teams like the Steelers, Raiders, Packers and Cowboys have loyal and longtime fan bases that are nationwide in scope. It is simply a fataly flawed idea.
No argument from me on any of the above. How 'bout waiting list length for season tickets? % of fans at home games that are NOT said team's fans?
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

gotsyphilis2002 wrote:
Truman wrote:What do your top three “Best Fan” cities have in common?

Could it be that pro football was the only major game in town “30 years ago”?
Holly shit, how did you get so far off base?

Did you not post the following?
I have no problem with the list as it reflects the last 9 years. But if you are looking for the best Fans over a long period of time…say over the last 30 years, the best Fans are…

Redskins #1
Broncos #2
Packers #3

Try to keep up, Sparky: What do all of these towns have in common?

Answer: None of them had the annoyance of a competing major sport to sap their attendance figures.
If you were alive and watched your beloved Chiefs in the late 70s and early 80’s you would have seen me and about 30 thousand other Bronco fans flat out take over Arrowhead stadium! Picking up tickets at half price from Chef fans was great, but nothing was better than hearing the loud chat of “HERE WE GO BRONCOS, HERE WE GO” in YOUR stadium! KC will NEVER be able to do that here!
I was there. Orange Crush, 1977. And I was pissed-off as hell. But it was only 3,000 fans insteada 30. But why let facts get in the way of a bad take?

But you're right, Syph: ChiefFan would never chat " here we go broncos " at our place.. or yours.

We prefer the Tomahwk Chop. At our place.

And yours.

Remember this game?

Arrowhead West.

Me and about 30,000 other Chiefs Fans were there happily chopping away while you and the rest of you Losers fled home to shovel snow.

"Best fans in the NFL"? Bwa! Y'all can bite me!