Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Roids...

Post by JCT »

[align=left]Report: Grimsley implicated Clemens, Pettitte, Tejada, others

October 1, 2006

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Miguel Tejada were among the players that a former major league pitcher accused of using performance-enhancing drugs, according to a federal agent's affidavit, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday on its Web site.

The agent for Clemens and Pettitte denied the accusations. Baltimore teammates Brian Roberts, Jay Gibbons and Tejada also were implicated in the sworn statement, the Times said; an Orioles spokeswoman said the team had not seen the report and had no comment.

In June, federal agents searched reliever Jason Grimsley's home in Arizona after the pitcher admitted using human growth hormone, steroids and amphetamines. Grimsley was later released by the Arizona Diamondbacks and suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball, and has not played since then.

In a 20-page search warrant affidavit signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, the Times reported, he said Grimsley identified other players who had used drugs. Those names were blacked out when the document was released.

The Times said an anonymous source with access to the document -- minus the crossouts -- let the newspaper see it, but kept the copy. The Times said a second source who had identified the other players provided additional details about the document.

According to the affidavit, the Times said, Grimsley told investigators Clemens and Pettitte "used athletic performance-enhancing drugs."

The affidavit also alleged Grimsley told federal agents that Roberts, Gibbons and Tejada "took anabolic steroids."

Novitzky also was the lead investigator in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative probe. Two BALCO officials and Barry Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, served jail time after guilty pleas in that investigation.

Grimsley has complained to friends, the Times said, that federal agents attributed statements to him that he did not make.

"I'm told he has denied saying all of this," Randy Hendricks, who represents Clemens and Pettitte, told The Associated Press on Saturday night. "It's an agent's recollection about a conversation he had about conjecture."

"I've grown weary of having to defend (Clemens) from innuendo and conjecture about every six months for the last several years when he's complied with all of the rules and regulations," Hendricks said. "Andy is just surprised and stunned, and has no knowledge of any such activity."

Clemens and Pettitte pitch for Houston. The Astros won 5-4 at Atlanta on Saturday night.

Tejada, Gibbons and Roberts had left the clubhouse in Boston after Baltimore's 5-4 victory Saturday night when an AP reporter sought comment.

"We do not have any comment at this time," Orioles spokeswoman Monica Pence said. "We have not seen it, so we do not have anything on it."

Along with the federal probe, baseball hired former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell to investigate the use of steroids.

All major league players are tested at least twice a year for banned drugs. There is no test for HGH, but it is banned by baseball.[/align]
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sucks for them...(not really)
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

why would he be making drug accusations to an IRS agent?
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Cuda wrote:why would he be making drug accusations to an IRS agent?
That is how everyone gets nailed!!

Have you ever looked on your 1040, when filling it out?

Line 21- The general rule is that, if you are a U.S. citizen, you must report all income from any source and any country - your total worldwide income - unless it is explicitly exempt under U.S. law. This includes income received in the form of money, property, or services.

-Illegal income. Bribes, kickbacks, push money, stolen or embezzled funds, and other illegal income must be reported on Line 21 of Form 1040, or on Schedule C or C-EZ. While obviously this is rarely done, failure to report opens the door to imposition of tax fines and penalties, as well as criminal penalties, on illegal activities.

http://taxguide.completetax.com/text/Q04_3000.asp
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I have no doubt Clemens is guilty. He has gotten bigger and bigger each year. His head has grown to barry Bonds size proportions and he has almost gotten btter w/ age. Its also no conicidence that he decided to come back after 50 games had gone by in the season.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Normally I think Plaschke is a huge idiot, but he makes a good point here.

There's almost as much circumstantial evidence pointing to Clemens as there ever was to Bonds, but I bet nobody suggests putting any asterisks by his Cy Young awards.
Don't Be Surprised if 'Rocket' Escapes the Bonds Treatment

Bill Plaschke

October 2, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO — The news that the drug hounds have finally been unleashed on Roger Clemens sent me to the guy who knows something about being chased.

So, I asked Barry Bonds, do you think Clemens will have his heels nipped and his neck poked and his breath shortened like you have?

"I like Roger, I respect Roger, so I won't comment on that," said Bonds, smiling. "But I'm feeling your question."

I then headed to the office of the guy who knows something about watching this chase.

So, I asked Felipe Alou, will Clemens be subject to the same public condemnation and consistent scrutiny as Bonds?

"We'll have to wait and see," Alou said, also smiling. "But it's tough to catch a 'Rocket.' "

On the eve of the steroid era, a 34-year-old pitcher is sent packing from his longtime team because, his boss says, "He's in the twilight of his career."

One year later that pitcher increases his strikeout total by 35, throws the most innings in the last 10 years, and wins a Cy Young Award.

And Roger Clemens is not above suspicion?

In the middle of the steroid cleanup period, a 44-year-old pitcher sits out the first two months of the season while contemplating retirement.

Then he shows up in June and fashions the fourth-best earned-run average of his career, finishing decimal points short of his career average of strikeouts per nine innings.

And Roger Clemens skates?

The revelation in Sunday's Times that Clemens' name was among those that appeared in a search-warrant affidavit in an investigation of performance-enhancing drugs did not surprise anybody in the game.

What happens next also will not surprise anybody.

Here's guessing, nothing.

"What do you think is going to happen to him?" said one Dodger with a shrug.

Another Dodger jokingly climbed into an adjoining locker to avoid the question.

Although Clemens' and Bonds' careers have taken the same arc toward eternal athletic life, they are perceived as differently as, well, white and black.

America does not want to believe the dirt on Clemens because he is a nice guy, a family guy, a good ol' guy and, let's be honest here, a Caucasian guy.

America likes its sport villains dark and moody and everything that has always been Bonds.

America doesn't like to be fooled.

So here's guessing America will brush off this new Clemens link as the ramblings of a scared ballplayer (Jason Grimsley) or the hallucinations of an IRS special agent (Jeff Novitzky) or just some late-season score in a game that has no effect on the standings.

Clemens has long since clinched America's love. His magic number is zero. His immortality is assured.

He will remind everyone that he has never flunked a steroid test, even though the test cannot detect human growth hormone.

He will then retire, disappearing to a Texas ranch, where he will be careful to lose all invitations to congressional hearings.

The legendary cowboy pitcher will spend the rest of his life as a country gentleman.

While Bonds will spend the rest of his life on the run.

It's not that Bonds is innocent. It has been written here that there is enough evidence linking him to steroid use that he should not be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

But how could we not see that Clemens has followed the same odd statistical path?

Everyone talks about how Bonds hit more than 40 homers three times in his first 14 seasons, then four times in his next eight seasons.

How come nobody talks about Clemens winning three Cy Young Awards in his first 13 seasons, then four in his next eight seasons?

Everyone talks about the changes in Bonds' physical stature, the giant head, the bulging neck.

As someone who covered Clemens in his rookie year in 1984, I can attest that he is much bigger and thicker today, his mass strangely only increasing with age.

When Bonds sat out most of last season because of injuries, folks wondered if he wasn't just dodging drug tests.

But when Clemens sat out the first two months of this season before re-signing with his old team, nobody said a word.

No, we don't know the extent of Clemens' involvement other than the mentioning of his name.

And, yes, it's unfair to charge him with anything beyond that.

Unlike Bonds, he has never been dragged in front of a steroid-searching grand jury, he has never been the subject of an indictment-filled book, and his personal trainer has never sat in jail to protect his clients.

But now that the link has been revealed, serious questions should be asked.

Not just of Roger Clemens, but of ourselves.
JCT

Post by JCT »

Cicero wrote:I have no doubt Clemens is guilty. He has gotten bigger and bigger each year. His head has grown to barry Bonds size proportions and he has almost gotten btter w/ age. Its also no conicidence that he decided to come back after 50 games had gone by in the season.

Pitchers aren't going to roid to bulk up, dumbass. Ask Tony Saunders what happens to your arms when you bulk up. That's right, the bone can't take the stress and it shatters. Roids are for recovery. If you go after pitchers to see who was roiding up I'd start looking at everyone that had Tommy John surgery, which has surged in the past 10 yrs. You roid up, the arm feels good, you throw a harder, that lig stretches out a bit but the roid make it feels better than it is. Then it blows out. (sup Eric Gange)
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

JCT wrote:
Cicero wrote:I have no doubt Clemens is guilty. He has gotten bigger and bigger each year. His head has grown to barry Bonds size proportions and he has almost gotten btter w/ age. Its also no conicidence that he decided to come back after 50 games had gone by in the season.

Pitchers aren't going to roid to bulk up, dumbass. Ask Tony Saunders what happens to your arms when you bulk up. That's right, the bone can't take the stress and it shatters. Roids are for recovery. If you go after pitchers to see who was roiding up I'd start looking at everyone that had Tommy John surgery, which has surged in the past 10 yrs. You roid up, the arm feels good, you throw a harder, that lig stretches out a bit but the roid make it feels better than it is. Then it blows out. (sup Eric Gange)
'sup Wood and Prior.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
JCT

Post by JCT »

Exactly. Funny how Pedro now has two torn calves and a torn rotator cuff.
JCT

Post by JCT »

The problem with Plaskie's article: Rocket has never tested positive for anything while Bonds ADMITTED to using the cream and clear.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Clemens took HGH, dumbass. It doesnt show up in tests. For years I have felt that Clemens as been on something. I guess i was right.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Prosecutor says Times article is full of shit...
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The federal prosecutor overseeing an investigation of steroids in baseball said Monday a newspaper report that five players, including Roger Clemens, had used illegal performance-enhancing drugs contained "significant inaccuracies."

Citing sealed court filings, the Los Angeles Times reported that former pitcher Jason Grimsley had named Clemens, his Houston Astros teammate Andy Pettitte, and Baltimore Orioles Miguel Tejada, Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons. The story first appeared on the Times' website on Saturday and quickly was seized on by print and broadcast media outlets.

San Francisco U.S. Attorney Kevin Ryan issued a statement Monday, saying: "In view of the recent news reports purporting to identify certain athletes whose names had been redacted from the government's search warrant filings in the Grimsley matter, and in the interests of justice, please be advised that these reports contain significant inaccuracies."
And Rack JCT..
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Cicero wrote:I have no doubt Clemens is guilty. Its also no conicidence that he decided to come back after 50 games had gone by in the season.
Get your dipshit comments right. He decided to come back in the middle of the season because of his age and the wear and tear he went through in the '05 season. How many 'Stros games did you even watch last year? Dude broke down towards the end of August and it carried over into the playoffs. This year he came back in July and led the majors in ERA until the end of September...and he made over 11 mil in doing so. Hard decision there. :meds:

Would I be surprised if Clemens did indeed dope up in the past? Hell no. Nothing could surprise me in baseball anymore.

PS- He was BLOOD TESTED for doping just like Olympic athletes during the World Baseball Classic and he came back clean. Your cred has been flushed.
JCT

Post by JCT »

Cicero wrote:Clemens took HGH, dumbass. It doesnt show up in tests. For years I have felt that Clemens as been on something. I guess i was right.

You need to trot on back to the main forum and get your ass kicked there. You might actually have a fighting chance in there. You obviously know nothing about steroids and add absoultly nothing to this thread except my foot being lodged in your ass.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Actually, I do know what I am talking about. That guys is on something. Take the blinders off. I know plenty about steroids and performance enhancers.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

e wrote:could you take some performance enhancers before you post?
Nice.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

tia
:lol: RACK
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

rozy wrote:

tia
:lol: RACK
Outstanding, I may have to check these "sports" related forums out more often.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?