Calling out YankeeFan (sig bet time!)

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Calling out YankeeFan (sig bet time!)

Post by Shoalzie »

I'd never think I'd live to see the day I can call out YankeeFan for a playoff wager. It's been a crazy year and anything beyond making the playoffs is a bonus. Pitching has been shaky and they have to face that unbelievable lineup. The odds are against the Tigers but that's why you play the games. Good luck to you guys...(GO TIGERS!)

Who wants in?
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Down like panties on prom night. You guys choked a 10 lead to a WC. You just lost 5 straight and got swept the royals. Yanks gonna kick your dicks in the dirt.
Frank Rizzo
Yankee Fan

Post by Frank Rizzo »

YOU AF CUKIGN TIGETR BITCHES ARE LUECEY TO BE HER

ILLL SEE YOU TURESDAY NIGHTA TA AT THA STADIUSM

WLESCOME TO THE STADIUM BITCHES WE

WE FUCKIGN AKICKKED YOUR ASSSSES AT TIGETER STADIUAM THIS YEARA AND WE PLAN ON W SWEEPIGN YOUR BIETCHE ASSES THEI S YEAR BE READY TFOR A QUICK SWEEP BITCH!!! YANKESSS GLORY YANKLEES WIN
JCT

Post by JCT »

This troll has seriously jumped that shark.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

In
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Rack Fu wrote:In
You're a fuckin' Yankee fan too??

Good lord, why am I not surprised that Fu, of all people, slurps pinstriped pole?
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

For the sake of the Tigers chances...I will not participate in a sig bet. I am winless in my career in sig bets.

GO TIGERS!!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

JCT wrote:This troll has seriously jumped that shark.
Thanks for saying what I've wanted to for a while.

Who thinks these inane ramblings are funny? Fuck you Rizzo!

Get me Brent Weir!!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

In.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Down like my wife's wedding dress.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:In
You're a fuckin' Yankee fan too??

Good lord, why am I not surprised that Fu, of all people, slurps pinstriped pole?
I grew up in NY. Only team I ever knew.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Come on, Steve...get in on this. I'm the only TigerFan willing to stick their neck on the line. If they lose...it's not like it would shock anyone since the Yankees are pretty much the greatest team ever assembled...at least according to ESPN. I won't deny that on paper their lineup is very impressive but they've put out great lineups the last few years and they haven't won squat. Going up against the big bad Yankees and losing would at least make this season more eventful than playing the A's and losing to their subpar lineup. If you want to win the World Series, you might as well face the big dogs and there is a better chance of beating a team like the Yankees in a shorter series.

If the Tigers can steal one in New York...Game 3 back in Detroit with Johnson vs. Rogers becomes a must win for the Yankees with Bonderman throwing in Game 4 and the Yankees possibly having to throw Wang or short rest or possibly a mediocre #4 like Wright or Lidle. The one edge I give the Tigers in the series is depth in starting pitching. There's really no huge difference between 1-4 while the Yankees have a quality 1-2-3 but no real #4 up to the same caliber. Wright has at least pitched in the postseason with Cleveland and Atlanta but he's no where near the same guy now as he was then. Middle relief is another thing I see the Tigers have the edge on but with the Yankees lineup ability to work the count and draw walks and wear down pitchers...hopefully it doesn't have to come down to the Tigers starters only making it through 5 or 6 innings and putting the game on the shoulders of Ledezma, Miner and Grilli. I don't doubt the Yankees bats but the key for the Tigers will be not allowing extra baserunners via walks, hit batters or defensive miscues. Make them earn their way on base with hits. Conversely, the Tigers hitter need to work the count more and stop swinging at first pitches. The Yankees have older arms in Mussina and Johnson...to let them go 6 or 7 innings and throw 70 or 80 pitches before going to the pen would only benefit the Yankees. I don't know if Rivera will throw 2 inning saves so the Tigers have pretty much 8 innings to win these games because I don't see their bats being able to breakdown his cutter and rally in the 9th. I can at least have comfort in the fact the Tigers have postseason experience at the manager spot. Leyland is one of only 3 out of the 8 managers left in the postseason who has a ring. Leyland has been through the wars before with the Pirates and the Marlins...hopefully he can help guide this younger and less experienced team against a much more teams in the postseason. I give the Tigers a puncher's chance in this series but more things have to go their way to win.

I have to say, I've never been this excited about a game/series since the '97 Cup Finals with the Wings...to really never have seen a Tigers playoff game before, I'm really looking forward to this. Win, lose or draw...this is going to be a lot fun to watch for the next week or so. Best of luck to YankeeFan...may the best team win.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Shoalzie wrote:Come on, Steve...get in on this.
I'd love to, really. But I'm a huge o'fer in sig bets. I want the Tigers to win so bad, and I don't want to send negative karma with me making a sig bet. I'm like the Eddie Mush character from "Bronx Tale". If I make a sig bet...the series will be already lost. My way, at least the guys get to settle it on the field.

Go Tigers!!!
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Have it your way...hopefully it works out for the Tigers that you stay out of this. Howeveh...if they lose, I'm blaming you. :wink:
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

As much as I love the Tigers and hate the Yankees, I must confess that I do not like their chances.

Of course I said the same thing about the Pistons when they were in the finals against the gay assed Lakers. So I'm in for any sig bet. The Tigers are a tough, well managed, team with great pitching. If anyone is going beat the spankees, it'll be them.

War killing Goliath!
Defense wins championships.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Fuck Shoalzie, I can't let you be the only man in on the sig bet. I'll take up for the Tigers. Haven't posted here nearly enough and will likely get Johnelled with the bandwaggon tag, but fuck it.

In.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I'm in w/ the Tigers. I fuckin hate the Yankees.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cicero wrote:I fuckin hate the Yankees.
Duke Hoops...check.

FSU Football...check.

Yankee-hating-bandwagon...check.

I eagerly await your take on the coming Christians/Lions matchup.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

5-0 Yanks.... bottom o' the 3rd. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fuck.
Frank Rizzo
Yankee Fan

Post by Frank Rizzo »

JETER FIVE FORA FIVE BEITCHES!!

YAHENSES WIUN THATAAAAAAA YANKEES WIN
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Yanks were money in the 3rd... so-so the rest of the way.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Who fucking knew there was a baseball forum here? HhhrrummPPPhhh!

Anyway, is it to late to join the sig bet? The Beloved Yanks will take care of Detroit with little to no problems. I'm concerned about the A's in the next series though. If the Twins pull it out, then it'll be smooth sailing to the WS and #27 EOS.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I refuse to buy into the Jeter for MVP talk. He's probably the most valuable player on the best team in the AL but the Yankees have such a deep team...you can't credit one guy for all of their success. Even though this was probably his best year stats-wise...you can't tell me they wouldn't have still won the division if he has just an average year. A complete order like that with Damon hitting nearly 30 homers in the leadoff spot, Abreu is acquired and drives in 100 runs this year, Giambi and A-Rod Wang showed last night he's probably the best pitcher no one has heard of...relatively speaking. On a team like that, you pretty much have to put up Ryan Howard/David Ortiz numbers to shine brighter than the rest of the team. The Yankees are just a damn good team...why does anyone on that team need to be a league MVP? Justin Morneau and Frank Thomas were more pivotal in their team's pursuit of making the playoffs. Take those guys off their teams, they'd be completely different. Take Jeter off the Yankees, they'd still be bashing people's brains in.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Dinsdale wrote:
Duke Hoops...check.

FSU Football...check.

Well, I went to FSU, so you're wrong there.

Yankee-hating-bandwagon???? As opposed to the ball sucking Yankee lovers? No thanks.

Here in Tampa they pay more attention to the Yanks then the D-Rays b/c the Yanks have spring training here. The D Rays might suck but the Tribune and Times should pay more respect to the D rays.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Shoalzie wrote:Take Jeter off the Yankees, they'd still be bashing people's brains in.

Except that's rarely a criterion used to determine MVP. If it was, I'd have to go ahead and RACL Grant Hill for his 6 consecutive MVP awards while with the Pistons.

And if it was, if you take Derek Jeter off that team, you now have a clubhouse that's a complete mess.

By your reasoning, Jeter shouldn't be eligible for the MVP, because he's the best player on the best team?

Ohhhhkay.

I guess Willie Stargell, Dave Parker, George Foster, Joe Morgan...fuck those guys. Go back and retroactively pull that MVP award from them.

Carlos Beltran? Well, he was the best player on the best team in the NL...I guess he's screwed.

And if we're using the "where would they be if we took So-And-So off a given team" basis for judging the MVP...

I'll have to go with Jorge Posada. I mean, if you take him off the team, there would be an awful lot of balls going straight to the backstop. Probably give the scorekeeper fits, trying to decide whether it's a passed ball or a wild pitch.

Derek Jeter is the best player. Has been for 10 freaking years. Put him on the Devil Rays, and his will-to-win would be infectous, and the underachievers would begin to realize their potential.

THE consummate professional.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Cicero wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
Duke Hoops...check.

FSU Football...check.

Well, I went to FSU, so you're wrong there.
Which is why you shouldn't root for Duke hoops.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Derek Jeter.

He's from where? You guessed it, folks, from the U &...

Well, I guess it'd just be the "U."
JCT

Post by JCT »

Jeter was born in NJ.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

But moved when he was 4. I guess you win on the technicality.

Ass.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Take Jeter off the Yankees, they'd still be bashing people's brains in.

Except that's rarely a criterion used to determine MVP. If it was, I'd have to go ahead and RACL Grant Hill for his 6 consecutive MVP awards while with the Pistons.

And if it was, if you take Derek Jeter off that team, you now have a clubhouse that's a complete mess.

By your reasoning, Jeter shouldn't be eligible for the MVP, because he's the best player on the best team?

Ohhhhkay.

I guess Willie Stargell, Dave Parker, George Foster, Joe Morgan...fuck those guys. Go back and retroactively pull that MVP award from them.

Carlos Beltran? Well, he was the best player on the best team in the NL...I guess he's screwed.

And if we're using the "where would they be if we took So-And-So off a given team" basis for judging the MVP...

I'll have to go with Jorge Posada. I mean, if you take him off the team, there would be an awful lot of balls going straight to the backstop. Probably give the scorekeeper fits, trying to decide whether it's a passed ball or a wild pitch.

Derek Jeter is the best player. Has been for 10 freaking years. Put him on the Devil Rays, and his will-to-win would be infectous, and the underachievers would begin to realize their potential.

THE consummate professional.

Valid points...however, don't under-value Joe Torre. Jeter's been a constant with the Yankees but so has Torre and he's been up more heat for their recent mini-championship drought but he hasn't lost the clubhouse. Jeter is the captain and probably helps contribute to keeping harmony. I just think all of what he does is magnified because of who he plays for. He's probably had to play a bigger part on the Yankees this year than he probably ever has with the injuries to Sheffield and Matsui and with the whole A-Rod mess. However, this team is still a machine. How many teams get the production from the leadoff spot like the Yankees do with Damon? How about the emergence of Robinson Cano? Wang had possibly one of the quietest 19 win seasons in recent years. And there's still that #42 guy at the end of the game who had a sub-2.00 ERA and converted 34 of 37 save opportunities.

I'm not looking to tear down what Jeter has done...I respect the year he had but he's just one of several superstars that contribute to one of the most destructive forces in the sport. Put Jeter on most teams with the numbers he had, they're very productive but don't compare to those of Morneau or Thomas on teams that don't nearly have the flash and dash of the Yankees. It really comes down to people's interpretation of what is the measure of value to a team. Would the Yankees not be as good as they are without Jeter? Sure...take any player off that team and they'd drop down a notch. Pull Rivera out of the closer spot and that isn't the same team year after year. I really think this Jeter campaign is more of a career achievement thing than anything...he's never won the award before so he became a trendy name to choose. Jeter would be on my ballot for MVP but take a guy like Frank Thomas off the A's and that putrid lineup...they would've been hard pressed to hold off the Angels for the AL West crown. The Yankees benefit from a deeper team and the fact the Red Sox had a down year and were crippled by key injuries and lost that pivotal five-game set to the Yankees.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Derek Jeter.

He's from where? You guessed it, folks, from the U &...

Well, I guess it'd just be the "U."

Scoreboard, U of M(ichigan) 8)

JCT brings out the point most people from my area forget when it comes to him and his roots. Yes, he's from Kalamazoo and went to K-Central HS but he's originally from New Jersey. People from southwest Michigan do embrace him as being one of their own though. He's probably the most famous person in this area who have roots to the area but he's not native of the area.

Jeter's bio off his site:
http://derekjeter.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/pl ... ut/bio.jsp
Racer X
Curmudgeon

Post by Racer X »

I'm in.

F the Spankees.
old,old,old school #33
organized religion is a cancer.
I am THE infidel, coo coo ca choo!
GO TIGERS!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

^^Bwahaha

Nothing screams "I'm a giant douchebag" like entering a sig bet when your team's up 2-1 in a 5 game series.
JCT

Post by JCT »

I'm taking the A's.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

JCT wrote:I'm taking the A's.

Giving up already?

By the way...since I called for the sig bet, I make the call on what YankeeFan will be wearing if the Tigers can take care of business today.

(Special thanks to Steve for staying out of this...it might be working :wink: )
JCT

Post by JCT »

Shoalzie wrote:
JCT wrote:I'm taking the A's.

Giving up already?

By the way...since I called for the sig bet, I make the call on what YankeeFan will be wearing if the Tigers can take care of business today.

(Special thanks to Steve for staying out of this...it might be working :wink: )

No, I'm mocking BandwagonfucktardX. Better watch yourself last time the Yanks lost 2 in a row they came out and put up a 16 spot. Also they've beaten Bonderman twice this year.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Believe me, I'm a ball of nerves right now. Much like most of this season, I'm waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under the Tigers. Yesterday went too perfectly. The Yankees will respond today...it'll just be a matter of the Tigers being able to answer and get the win to move on. I don't want to see a Game 5 and any TigerFan that wouldn't be gripping if they lost today is full of crap. This game is a must win for the Tigers as much as it is for the Yankees. Having to face Wang at THE Stadium on Sunday is nothing I want any part of. Gotta finish it now...