Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Loganfan wrote:
PrimeX wrote:
Loganfan wrote: I see you lopped off the 'certainly in the NL'
Probably because I had no argument with the "tops in the NL" part? Good eye though, slugger.

Mikey, I see your posted stats and raise you a young bully throwing to the DH vs. a bully throwing to pitchers/ weak pinch hitters in the NL.

That's a damn good point.

In a close game, most managers in the NL would opt to pinch hitter in the pitcher position or double-switch. I think starting pitchers are more apt to face pitchers in the lineup but in a close-and-late situation, I don't think a manager would ever let their pitcher hit for themselves unless the pitcher was unhittable that night. From that sense, it's like facing a full 9-man order instead of 8 and a pitcher. Pinch-hitters are used often because a certain reliever is in...to force the other manager to make a move. To use the DH argument against AL vs. NL bullpens isn't as valid as it seems. However, you don't see guys like Ortiz, Giambi, Thomas and Hafner in NL lineups either because they couldn't really play in the field.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Shoalzie wrote:However, you don't see guys like Ortiz, Giambi, Thomas and Hafner in NL lineups either because they couldn't really play in the field.

Ever seen Carlos Delgado try and field a ball?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

What did I say about the Stros and rookie pitchers?

James is killing us.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:However, you don't see guys like Ortiz, Giambi, Thomas and Hafner in NL lineups either because they couldn't really play in the field.

Ever seen Carlos Delgado try and field a ball?

Most first basemen aren't that fleet of foot...that's why they stick them at first. The four guys I mentioned were 1B at some point but their physical limitations make them a liability in the field but they're still elite hitters and perfect options as DHs. I'm sure there are some of those guys in NL...most of the first basemen immediately come to mind. Ryan Howard has the second most errors at first but obviously most people think of his 58 home runs. Bonds ain't exactly a gold glover in left anymore...I'm sure he'll be a DH in the AL somewhere next year.

You get my point though...when it gets later in the game when the bullpen is depended upon, the opposing manager isn't going to let their pitcher hit unless they can actually handle the bat, have the ability to bunt or they pitching too well to remove them. You see some of those guys that come in to just face one or two hitters...odds are, neither of them are pitchers. You'll have those guys to come in to face a lefty or to turn around a switch hitter to their weaker side. Relievers are used to retire dangerous hitters. No doubt, most pitchers are free outs but in a late and close situation, managers don't want to give up outs unless it is in a sacrifice situation. All I'm saying is using the DH argument doesn't hold as much water. It's not outlandish to say an NL team can have a better bullpen than an AL squad simply because the pitcher hits in the NL.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

IndyFrisco wrote:What did I say about the Stros and rookie pitchers?

James is killing us.

You've still got that Clemens guy throwing for your side...I still like your chances. The 'Sros just need to knock a couple in and you're golden.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Like I said, Clemens will give up 2 or 3. He's given up 2 so far and no one is out.

Unless we tee off on James here, we're done.

Go Brewers.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Have some respect, this might be Clemens' final game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

JCT wrote:Have some respect, this might be Clemens' final game.

How many times has that phrase been said in the past?

Always mad respect for 'The Rocket' but I won't buy into to the retirement talk until it actually happens. The guy can still deal at his age and his body isn't breaking down like some of the veteran pitchers out there. Aside from the family thing, I don't see what would keep him pitching again next year. Someone will be willing to pay him mercenary money to help them out...the Red Sox immediately come to mind.

(Go White Sox!)
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Geez..looks like my 3-1 prediction is coming true.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Speaking of bullpens...blown save by Jones...Royals tie it up 5-5. Fuck! :x
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, I gotta say I called this one. First I said the Braves pwn us and then I said how we can't hit shit off a new pitcher.

It was a good run. Now I can post on the season over thread...again.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Dodgers tied for first.

:D
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

interesting, it's been over 3 days and no Astro replies.

wow quiet for 152 games, running dicksucker 152-158, quiet since.

take your roiding pitchers and enjoy the fairways.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Adelpiero wrote:

take your roiding pitchers and enjoy the fairways.

Take your gas can Bully and we'll see you in three games. We'll reminisce about last week. It'll be great. Garner said he'll bring the egg salad.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

So, how'd the Cubs/Cards/'stos sig bets turn out this season? Just checkin'.

Mace
It's too bad I waited...or forgot...to bet you on that earlier in the year Mace. As it is, if you wish, you can always borrow this hear belt buckle as your sig, it ought to fit you just fine. :wink:

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Mace wrote:Lucky for you that you missed the sig bet, Jay. It was for the season series, which the Cubs won (as usual) over the soon to be vacationing Cardinals. :)

BTW, I think we saw better pitching in the Little League World Series than we've seen from the Redbird staff this season.

Mace
mace, your sig was on the line.

Web Page Name
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Mace wrote:Lucky for you that you missed the sig bet, Jay. It was for the season series, which the Cubs won (as usual) over the soon to be vacationing Cardinals. :)

BTW, I think we saw better pitching in the Little League World Series than we've seen from the Redbird staff this season.

Mace
Yep, I did skate by on the bet. Timing is everuhh thing. And yeah, the Redbird pitching staff is pretty anemic, outside of Carpenter. Time for their annual playoff gag job now.

Crap.
JCT

Post by JCT »

Remember the last time Jeff Weaver pitched in the post season? I see him getting battered like blondie after a raider's loss.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

JCT wrote:Remember the last time Jeff Weaver pitched in the post season? I see him getting battered like blondie after a raider's loss.
He's pitched two good games in a row.

Wells is battling the gout and his gut. He'll pitch four innings max and then the bullpen will be burdened by his short stay. I look forward to lots of Cardinal bunting and stealing... for the first time all year. Hope the idiots don't go up to the plate with a "be aggressive and swing early" approach.
why is my neighborhood on fire
JCT

Post by JCT »

Wells will be fine. He's currently soaking his foot in a tub of Vat 69 and having his elbow rubbed down with salt pork and royal icing.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Well there you go...Jeff Weaver did just well enough and Wells didn't.

2-0 Cards.

Saved the gagging for one more day.

Or not...?
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Pujols 2 Padres 0.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Time for an 84esque comeback.

:meds:

If this season winds down to Yankees and Mets I may just boycott the whole fucking thing.
And fuck you Lasorda.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

carpenter melting as i type

if sd does come back and wins this series, the mother of melts will hit the newspapers, forums, and talk shows.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Adelpiero wrote:Roy O should win the Cy.
RACK
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

roy o is a one bad muther fucka
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Well, since you decided not to take the bait...

I have this suspicion that Hoffman gets the Cy. But you and I both know the best 2 NL pitchers reside in the NL CENTRAL!! I don't know what has had Carp so shaky the last few weeks.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Loganfan
Anti-Spam Fan

Post by Loganfan »

rozy wrote:Well, since you decided not to take the bait...

I have this suspicion that Hoffman gets the Cy. But you and I both know the best 2 NL pitchers reside in the NL CENTRAL!! I don't know what has had Carp so shaky the last few weeks.
16 wins ain't that impressive.

Trevor had 46 saves and an era of around 2.

Trevor for the Cy young!!!!!

Oh....Props to the Cards.
R.I.P. Dennard/BP/Scritti
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

BIG props to the Cards and to Carp.

Now, dispatch the Mets and then go get Edmonds and Pujols the ring they are long overdue for.
Loganfan
Anti-Spam Fan

Post by Loganfan »

rozy wrote:BIG props to the Cards and to Carp.

Now, dispatch the Mets and then go get Edmonds and Pujols the ring they are long overdue for.
Ummm....Jimmy certainly, but Albert hasn't been in long enough to start a 'win one for Albert' chant
R.I.P. Dennard/BP/Scritti
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Props to the Cards.

Good luck against the Mets. Any WS with no NY team in it is a good WS.

Big unprops to the Pads for rolling over like usual. Nice season though, so thanks for that.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Could be the year for the Cards. Mets have major injuries with SP. Yanks are out of it. Could be the year...hope it isn't though. Can't live it down here in Southern Indiana.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Okay, so that's step one. History repeats as the Cards take care of the Pads. Histroy probably repeats as they take care of a weakened Mets staff.

Then history really repeats as the Cards fold again in the W.S.

Dammit I want these guys to get over the post-season collapses they seem to be mired in, but until they do, I'm not optimistic.

Just hopeful.