hockey season....DEAD

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

hockey season....DEAD

Post by Guest »

Well, that's it. Players for a fringe sport that used to be the greatest, most dramatic sport on EARTH but now SUCKS ASS, has now alienated its fans and fucked up big time. They bitched about a salary cap all this time and then at the 11th hour accepted one and then wouldn't agree to 6.5 mil less per team than what they were demanding? Fuck them. Stupid cementheads.

Fuck the NHL, I sincerely hope the league FOLDS and a new league forms, a league that isn't afraid to put on the the fucking foil
Bones
Jake

Post by Bones »

Getting both sides to agree is like trying to thread a needle with a sledgehammer.

It's DEAD, Jim.
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Post by Viper in Vancouver »

I agree with the first few posts. Fuck them, there is no way I'll be back, if they decide to come back next season. These guys have no idea how much worse the situation is going to get for them. It's a great game to watch live, but it's a shit game to watch on t.v. Good luck having a league with half empty arenas and no t.v. contract. I was pissed when the NBA fucked over my city, but now I don't miss basketball at all. I'm guessing I'll feel the same way about hockey. I say fold the NHL and start a new league with no more than 20 teams
The Anomaly
Jake

Post by The Anomaly »

The players union will crumble. Agreeing to a cap is basically saying the owners were right all along. Now? The next agreement will be a cap tied to revenues at about $35 million. Bunch a prima donnas.

Post by Guest »

hmm, so this gets moved yet a steroids in baseball thread stays

not that i give a shit, i'm just wondering:

a. what are the mods smoking?

b. do they have anymore?

c. are the mods so bored they make decision that are inconsistent as all hell just so it seems like they are doing something?

:?

Post by Guest »

Viper in Vancouver wrote:I agree with the first few posts. Fuck them, there is no way I'll be back, if they decide to come back next season. These guys have no idea how much worse the situation is going to get for them. It's a great game to watch live, but it's a shit game to watch on t.v. Good luck having a league with half empty arenas and no t.v. contract. I was pissed when the NBA fucked over my city, but now I don't miss basketball at all. I'm guessing I'll feel the same way about hockey. I say fold the NHL and start a new league with no more than 20 teams
I will RACK this
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Post by Viper in Vancouver »

Yeah it's pretty stupid. Baseball and football threads stay in the main forum all the time. Watch out if you even think about mentioning a book, movie, foood, music etc in the main forum :roll: What the hell is there left to talk about?
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

The Anomaly wrote:The players union will crumble. Agreeing to a cap is basically saying the owners were right all along. Now? The next agreement will be a cap tied to revenues at about $35 million. Bunch a prima donnas.
RACK!!

To the NHLPA's credit, they have been flexible but why the f*ck did they agree to cap now? Why didn't they agree to a cap in freakin September/October?

I agree, fold the whole league and start a new one. Keep all of the teams, but they have a $15 million HARD cap. Hockey tickets should be ALL be in the $10-$50 range, and TAKE INSTIGATING OUT!! Let the players police themselves.
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I hope baseball is listening. You fukkers are next. And it can't happen soon enough.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.

Post by Guest »

Hapday wrote:
I agree, fold the whole league and start a new one. Keep all of the teams, but they have a $15 million HARD cap. Hockey tickets should be ALL be in the $10-$50 range, and TAKE INSTIGATING OUT!! Let the players police themselves.
RACK

pussifying hockey to try to build a fan base with middle America was STUPID. So you alienate the hardcore fans and meanwhile the arenas turn into a circus for little suburbanites. The fucking fans sit on their hands and don't know jack fucking shit aboot the game.

If I'm going to have to shell out over 100 bones for a night of hockey with my wife then fuck it. I'd just as soon spend 40 to go see a baseball game. better chance for a bench clear in baseball than hockey.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Yeah, whatever happened to old school boxing on skates errrr I mean hockey? The NHL not only permitted fighting, it was a major marketing theme. NHL hockey had about 6.3 fights per period. Games would get booed if they went 10 minute without somebody throwing.

I blame Gretzky. He introduced precision passing and playmaking and all that other fancy Euro style shit. I appreciate a good pass as much as the next guy, so long as said passer gets put through the glass at the end of the play.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Threeskin
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Threeskin »

I'm just gotta hope that...Gretzky is to blame...is nothing but a troll post

sincerely,

tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

The cap the players were offering could be over run twice @ 10% a pop.
Those nobs were just playing for the fans, who thankfully don't appear to be buying any of their crap.

After jumping through every lawyer hoop, hopefully the owners do form a New League.

The Tell 'em What, or Take a Fuck League....NO LAWYER AGENTS.
Build it, and drop the ticket prices in a least half, and they will come.

RACK Movie Night In Canada (Not Ron MacGay) except for when they let the lesbo pick the movies like they did this past Sat.
Clueless/Amelie From Montmartre/The Barefoot Contessa
Good thing I get three other channels.

On a related note:
Did anyone catch the MNIC when they ran the Princess Diaries?
Not the movie, watching that would be just wrong, but how Ron MacGay; while introducing the movie, compared The Princess Diaries to Bobby Orrs career.
Was he just trying to piss-off Cherry, or WtF was with that, some sort of coming out thingy???

CAR.
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
Captain Haddock
Elwood

Post by Captain Haddock »

Chris Chelios, shut the fuck up.

I'm so sick of this clown whining & crying about how rough it all is. This jack off has been paid $139 million over his 21 year career. He should be kissing Bettman's cotton socks.

Nashville fan was totally correct when they ragged him in the playoffs: "Chelios is a crybaby"
Lily-livered bandicoots!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Captain Haddock wrote:Chris Chelios, shut the fuck up.

I'm so sick of this clown whining & crying about how rough it all is. This jack off has been paid $139 million over his 21 year career. He should be kissing Bettman's cotton socks.

Nashville fan was totally correct when they ragged him in the playoffs: "Chelios is a crybaby"
Fuck gap toothed pronger also.

His famous quote, " We'll wait 2 years if we have to" wont be forgotten!

Uh yeah, i'm sure your 9.5 mil salary won;t hurt you chris, but what about backman,jackman, etc. go fuck yourself you gap toothed pussy!

Now you and Edmonds have even more time to give each other reach arounds and felatio! congrats !

Post by Guest »

pronger is a fucking waste of size

the pussy can't fight and he can't hit anymore

he's useless.

the blues might as well sign Kevin Hatcher

pussies

NHL RIP
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Both sides truly suck.

But seeing that we are snackin on the players.

How to futher fuel the publics disgust towards your position:
Have Bob Goodenow tell the public, 'if there is no deal by Olympic time, no NHLPA player will be allowed to play for their country.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Obviously, this sucks but I'm positive they'll return next year. The league wounded but not dead...there will always be support for the NHL.

The players are way off base by making this cancellation Bettman's fault. It's the only thing he could do. I don't like it had to come to this but the owners had the trump card of having the most powerful person in the league on their side. The players need to swallow their pride and sign a deal...they probably won't get anything as good as what they were offered yesterday.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

I found it hillarious that they showed Dollar Bill Wirtz commenting about the cancellation, an owner that has not allowed home TV coverage for years and his attendance is laughable in a half full United Center.

They haven't had a competitive team in the 9 years since they stupidly traded Roenick.
AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

Shoalzie wrote:Obviously, this sucks but I'm positive they'll return next year. The league wounded but not dead...there will always be support for the NHL.

Bob Goodenow is way off base by making this cancellation Bettman's fault. It's the only thing he could do. I don't like it had to come to this but the owners had the trump card of having the most powerful person in the league on their side. The players need to swallow their pride and sign a deal...they probably won't get anything as good as what they were offered yesterday.
Fixed that for you, Shoalz.
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
ESRB NOTICE: Online Experience May Change During Game Play
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

This should make it obvious to the players that Goodenow is a HORRIBLE negotiatior (he thinks you need to wait until the last minute to get a deal done :roll: ) and they would be better off finding better leadership.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Cross Traffic wrote:This should make it obvious to the owners that Betteman is a HORRIBLE negotiatior (he thinks you need to wait until the last minute to get a deal done :roll: ) and they would be better off finding better leadership.
FTFY.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=c ... &type=lgns

And let's not forget that Betteman was the one that approved the last labour deal after he locked the players out in 94.

And then was more than happy to extend that deal, twice.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Otis,

Since you feel so bad for the players, why don't you pass around the hat and take up a collection for them. With any luck you can raise enough green fees for at least one team.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

I'm hoping what Otis is saying is that both sides are messed up.

Say it is so, big O.

Surely; both Bettman and Goodenow could not possible retain their *positions if the league/union ever gets going again.

positions *snicker
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

AcidQueen wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Obviously, this sucks but I'm positive they'll return next year. The league wounded but not dead...there will always be support for the NHL.

Bob Goodenow is way off base by making this cancellation Bettman's fault. It's the only thing he could do. I don't like it had to come to this but the owners had the trump card of having the most powerful person in the league on their side. The players need to swallow their pride and sign a deal...they probably won't get anything as good as what they were offered yesterday.
Fixed that for you, Shoalz.

Some of the players are saying it too. You're right about Goodenow also. He's about ready to lose his job. If these clowns would've given into to a cap a month ago, I bet we're playing hockey right now. He clearly doesn't have the interest of every NHL player in mind when he's negotiating...he's just trying to bash Bettman and the owners brains in. Of course Bettman looks like the villian for making the announcement but what's there to salvage? Just stay at the table with what they had before and work out a deal anyways.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Chris Chelios' should just retire.

Sincerely,

AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

Hapday wrote:Chris Chelios' should just retire.

Sincerely,

:?
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
ESRB NOTICE: Online Experience May Change During Game Play
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

tough love wrote:I'm hoping what Otis is saying is that both sides are messed up.

Say it is so, big O.

Surely; both Bettman and Goodenow could not possible retain their *positions if the league/union ever gets going again.

positions *snicker
In fact, yes Tl, there really needs to be a cleansing done on both sides.

But Betteman should be brought out front and publicly pissed on by all true hockey fans for the dismal state that he ran our game into.

And for fuck sakes, next time the owners set out to choose a new commissioner... hire someone with a freaking hockey background and not some jackass lawyer or marketing fool from New York.
The Anomaly
Jake

Post by The Anomaly »

Reset.

And otis, damn you are one stupid bitch.

The players had all the power the last two times and it showed. Now? Credit Bettman for formulating a plan to fix it and not caving. Credit him for uniting the owners regardless of opinions. Credit the players for teh work stoppage. When shit is so out of whack it isn't about negotiating at that point. It's about doing what is necessary to fix it and bring long term economic stablity to a sport in dire need of one.

You are such a player kiss ass its hilarious. You don't have a clue, just an opinion.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Speaking of tards that don't have a clue..
Credit the players for teh work stoppage.
It's a lockout not a strike, moron.

If you think that the owners are the ones that make this league tick, then tell them to go strap on the pads, skates and helmets and see just how many show up to watch their skills.
Idiot.
:roll:

And what was your team again?
Or your nic that you suppoedly used back at the Rome board...
Shit troll.
The Anomaly
Jake

Post by The Anomaly »

You think fans are fans of the players?

You get dumber and dumber as you respond to me.

Fans go to watch HOCKEY. Players retire, move on because of FA, get traded, whatever; but it is the SPORT that rules. They could put replacement players out there and people would go. Under your fucked up logic.....no one would go. I mean how do explain fans of Calgary back in 1990 STILL fans even though 99% of the team is different? You can't because you are fucking stupid. Did you graduate high school? Are you in high school?
The Anomaly
Jake

Post by The Anomaly »

Otis wrote:Speaking of tards that don't have a clue..
Credit the players for teh work stoppage.
It's a lockout not a strike, moron.

Uhhhh, yeah.....the owners locked out the players because the players were raping the owners. The players WON'T agree to play under a cap. Damn....this is comical. You don't back anything up.....ever.

How old are you? No, really. Do you work? Have you ever?

I have to know, because you make zero sense. I am starting to feel sorry for you.....
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Something sure done did mess it up all right.

What's the chances of Gretz being the future Commish?
As an owner, could he?
If offered, would he?

After this current mess is all said and done, there are still a whole lotta changes need doing if the league is ever going to get back to being healthy again.

Just one thought.
Wha'dabout changing the style of the Southern game so that it's played in an anti-clockwise motion? :wink:
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

The Anomaly wrote:You think fans are fans of the players?

Fans go to watch HOCKEY. Players retire, move on because of FA, get traded, whatever; but it is the SPORT that rules.
RACK!!!!

The NHLPA doesn't seem to get that.
The Anomaly
Jake

Post by The Anomaly »

Hapday wrote:

Fans go to watch HOCKEY. Players retire, move on because of FA, get traded, whatever; but it is the SPORT that rules.
RACK!!!!

Otis, the middle schooler, doesn't get it either.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Hapday wrote:

RACK!!!!

Try telling that to Doug Harvey and Busher Jackson.

It's because of the owners greed that they both were left homeless.

Why is the NHL afraid to put the players last proposal to a majority vote?
How come Betteman caters to the bottom feeders?
And why is the NHL so deadset against revenue sharing?
The New Yorks and Toronto's of the league make more than enough to help out their piss poor cousins in markets that only Gary thinks deserve to have franchises.. but yet, that's unacceptable to the league heiarchy.
Why is that?
Captain Haddock
Elwood

Post by Captain Haddock »

Busher Jackson: While brilliant on the ice, in his personal life Jackson allowed alcohol, women, and poor investments to get in the way of a normal life.

After hockey, Jackson became involved in some poor business deals that left him in debt for the rest of his life. The excesses Jackson enjoyed during his playing career also did little to help his quality of life during his retirement years. And as if his luck could not have grown any worse, in 1958 Jackson fell down a flight of stairs that resulted in a broken neck and the partial loss of the use of his right hand. Eight months later, Jackson was admitted to a hospital with a severe case of jaundice that compromised the former winger's nervous system. Liver disease finally claimed Jackson's life in 1966.

Come on, the owners can't hold someone's hand for the rest of their life.

Poor choice
Lily-livered bandicoots!
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Maybe Busher wasn't the best choice but Harvey certainly is.
Have you seen the Ted Lindsay story 'Net Worth' CH?

It's worth seeing.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Harvey is also a bad example. He chose to drown himself in alcohol as well.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Hapday wrote:Harvey is also a bad example. He chose to drown himself in alcohol as well.
Have you seen Net Worth?

A former great living in a boxcar because of his being an outcast by helping to form the players union sums up why Harvey was forced to live like that.

Do you even know the actual reason why the player's association was started to begin with?